Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How would you tell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I imagine it would be very difficult to pronounce with a sore throat as the ll sound requires fairly fine control.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Quite common, supposedly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want some lightweight frames the really cheap small own brand ASDA ones are remarkably light and you can get them for like a quid each or something. They look nice too. Come with the little raised border to put around your art to make it looks dead posh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

"I can't not see my besties!!!"

Distressing lack of object permanence on display.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Imagine how all of history looked before it happened. That's what's you're doing now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hemale in pain posted:

i dunno how anyone can think this is no big deal with 560 deaths in a day

Yes but it didn't happen to me and there isn't news footage of like a big explosion that I can imagine happening to me, so it basically didn't happen.

See also: all other tory induced deaths.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In reality the card should read "the liberal democrats are primarily responsible for the conservatives enacting everything they claimed to be against in 2019"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you have a fusebox instead? I figured they'd all have been retrofitted with breakers now if only because having to keep a supply of fuses is annoying. And also people are tempted to jam bits of metal in there if they don't have a fuse.

Generally it's near your electric meter, or in a cupboard somewhere, often under the stairs.

Basically if the electric goes, where is the box you have to fiddle with to make it go on again?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 1, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

We call our box full of breakers the fuse box.

Sure but when it goes you don't have to rummage around and fish out another fuse to put in it and pray it's not gonna do it again cos that was the last one :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reply all is praxis, it seems.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is it really a breaker box if it's not covered in mysterious labels that might be abbreviations, might be be listing the progeny of Abraham, and at least three of which refer to elements of the building that, to your knowledge, don't exist and never have?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Burgon is the best pick?? Though sure Butler is a good choice too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bardeh posted:

I'd legit go and pick some strawbs at the farm near my house (apparently 400 quid a week if you're decent at it) but my boss says we're not allowed under our furlough conditions.

So some bosses want to make sure people are busy when working from home because they can't abide paying people not to work, but your boss apparently can't abide the idea that you might be working while they're paying you.

Y'ever think maybe bosses are just control freaks?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I share your view of mobile devices and interfaces to be honest. I have my computer plugged directly into the router too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Certainly the cessasion of them tweeting might be better for the world generally than the presence of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Clearly that's a government mandate that pants are non essential from now on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait why is China fiddling its numbers the reason boris johnson's party hosed the NHS over the course of a decade and the country by not understanding how exponential growth works?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can still do both. The china/other countries comparison is basically an ideal example of something where the big and horrible state is actually very useful, and the complete collapse of anything resembling competence in wstern states is itself a kind of crisis. State capitalism might be poo poo but laissez faire capitalism is looking like it might be just fundamentally incapable of functioning at this point, as it's on course to produce eye watering levels of unemployment, massive economic collapse, and a giant pile of bodies in the process, and Hungary is illustrating that it is also fairly prone to collapsing into just actual fascism at the drop of a hat.

But hey, it produces iphones. I mean China produces iphones but we invented them! Or rather we created the culture that drives demand for them which is definitely a good thing. #worthit

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 2, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It doesn't matter whether you believe in electoralism as long as a lot of other people do. Saying you don't believe in it is like saying you don't believe in money.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

No that's not a workable analogy at all. Elections are a cause and outcome of people believing in electoralism, and money has the same relationship to capitalism, maybe. You can easily disbelieve in electoralism and capitalism and it matters, while simultaneously accepting that money and elections happen and are important to the understanding of what is currently construed as society.

For certain values of "belief", and "mattering", but now I'm just sub-ronyaposting

Yes, but your lack of belief in them does not mean you can stop participating in them, because your participation is enforced, you can not op out of the the product of electoralism, your lack of vote is not a protest, it is a tacit acceptance, functionally. The order of society does not permit you to protest or opt out, any more than you can opt out of money.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blood liable sounds like something a demonic lawyer would invent.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Theirs is a land of hope and glory, mine is the green field and the factory floor.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chucat posted:

If my vote is pointless to the extent that even voting in the most micro level election possible has me losing horribly, then how is that different to not voting at all?

And don't give me "not voting is letting the bad guys win" because they're winning anyway.

Because that's also true if you win, the chance of any vote mattering is virtually non existent, but that idea being so prevalent (and the resultant lack of engagement in politics) is a major source of political dysfunction.

You live in a society whereby any form of political interaction (or non interaction) you do has basically zero chance of mattering because that's the nature of existing in a world with millions of other people, but the desire to simply not engage with it is a primary method by which power is entrenched at the top.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

I know I've lapsed into falling asleep not long after 9pm and waking up a little before 5am but perhaps that's just me being weird.

You're sleeping when it's dark and waking when it's light, it's quite normal, IMO.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I guess I could have lived like that and been happier about it but that's not because of living like that it was just depression, having got a bit of a handle on that I'm 100% fine living like that and if I had an ideal it'd be to graduate to slightly more grown up toys like machine tools and house renovation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mr Phillby posted:

Reject anime go Bollywood instead

I am not entirely sure there is a difference.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Feco-oral is the US substitute for kia-ora.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One thing I am learning is that if there was a deadly plague that killed like 90% of people it'd be a far more egalitarian solution to climate change than we're likely to get because rich people can not loving stop getting diseases.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobstar posted:

Completely unrelated to anything, I have just figured out that Alex Jones and Arron Banks are in fact two separate people, and not the same person.

I am feeling confused.

Did... did you think the gay demon frogs man was lobbying to leave the EU..?

Like are you basing your mental image for both of them off of actual alex jones?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would probably like tim farron more if he took his shirt off and screamed at people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobstar posted:

Honestly I think my mental image of both of them was Lewis Prothero from well known documentary film V for Vendetta.

That combined with never watching videos and only reading headlines in passing and going "ah, the bad dude who starts with A is at it again"

I think everyone needs to at least watch this one alex jones video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUIcCyPOA30

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

It's got echoes of the AIDS epidemic in South Africa when there was a huge stigma around it you'd get lots of people dying of pneumonia but almost a deliberate refusal to talk about the underlying virus that led to that.

Except it's the state broadcaster doing it.

I would be very surprised if the BBC weren't doing exactly that at the time as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't "died with" or "died after" fairly normal news phrasing for people who clearly die of things because that way they don't have to commit to anything as strong as a causative relationship between terminal cancer and people dying?

Just usual news being loving cowards.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I get why they do it, but it only further breeds the utter contempt I have for the snivelling little parasites that work in journalism because all they can ever do is cringe and simper about how it is that things keep happening and we can't begin to say why.

Just the absolute worst, most detestable form of human communication ever invented.

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah but it becomes political when it furthers political goals.

"Officers were involved in a shooting that left one man dead, the suspect was unarmed."

Oh yes of course, again as above I don't at all dispute that it has an effect on the world, just that it's more of an institutional thing than a thing that's being wheeled out specifically for this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally I have long since gone past specific things I hate and just... generally hate. I don't have time for specifics, there's far too many things to direct it at.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If people are still being told not to go to the shops (and working from home and not eating out) then they're going to be stressed for some time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cerv posted:

Labour have had all 3 candidates pre-record victory speeches for tomorrow. instead of just live streaming the winner.
this is disappointing, I want to see what Starmer’s got strategically placed on the bookcase like every middle management twat showing off in the conference call

You probably will still get to see that, unfortunately.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lisa Nyandy.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Had a bit of a jolt while out on my walk - plain black refrigerated van with two guys in masks driving slowly down the street, the guys looking hawkishly out of both sides. Then one jumped out with a clipboard while another put on some gloves.

The were delivering veg to a little takeaway place

I'm used to the corpse wagons being slate grey and marked as "private ambulance" but maybe london does it differently :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stop your direct debit I guess.