Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So surely the CFR has to go down somewhat as doctors get more experience and gain better treatments right? Even in the old thread doctors were posting that they were having good results with certain therapies (IL6? I don't know what any of these mean) and while obviously they're not silver bullets there likely will be other therapies too that will together at least reduce the death rate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Hey guys if you're intimidated by the plumbing required to install a bidet, you can buy a portable one.

https://www.amazon.com/Soothing-Pos...tag=skonsite-20

I basically haven't used any toilet paper for the last 2 weeks.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

I just realized that this is not, in fact, Florida congressman Matt Gaetz.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

shovelbum posted:

can't china just seize their overseas factories tho

There's no shortage of masks in China or SK or any of those other countries.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Mistle posted:

That were reported and counted. even conceding a lack of malfeasance, there's a lot of bodies in one place to count accurately, and it works wonders as a sleight of hand for a random severe-among-milds clusters near and elsewhere slipping under the radar

LOL white people desperately trying to convince themselves that THOSE NONWHITES MUST BE WORSE SOMEHOW.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
My whole family lives in Xinjiang and I have to constantly remind myself that it's not meaningful to engage Americans in any sort of discussion on China because these are the same people who devoted like a sixth of their GDP for a decade to murder Iraqis for sport based on a fantastical story about Saddam Hussein allegedly obtaining uranium from Niger LMAO

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
N95-style mask usage was already widespread in Chinese cities for years because of urban pollution, most households have them lying around and they could be bought easily anywhere, and obviously as a result there was already a good amount of production capacity. Even then, the need at the height of the crisis was so great that they were grabbing every mask they could get. There's also a good number of stories of hospitals without a lot of virus patients hoarding masks as well, or being sent more than they should due to political connections or straight corruption, so the US should not feel like it is alone when the president is just ordering the feds to seize masks that MA bought to send to FL.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Remember like 300 years ago Trump was impeached because he witheld aid to Ukraine for political gain? Who could have seen this coming

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
On a lighter note

https://www.tampabay.com/special-reports/2020/04/04/in-the-villages-americas-biggest-retirement-oasis-the-dangers-of-coronavirus-stack-up/

quote:

The analysis is based on estimates that 20 to 60 percent of the country could become infected. It assumes 29 percent of people over 65 may have to go to the hospital. Combining those estimates with census data, as few as 4,000 people in the Villages might need hospital beds, or as many as 12,000.

According to new state data, as of Friday, the Villages Hospital had 152 staffed beds, 32 of which were available. UF Health Leesburg Hospital, another nearby hospital Villagers use, had 205 beds, with 47 available.

Faust gave a higher number of staffed beds and said hospitals can increase their capacity if necessary. The UF hospitals already have lowered their patient volumes by a third, he said.

Even when the Harvard researchers assumed all the hospitals in the area would be able to cut their occupancy in half to care for more coronavirus patients, they still found both regions might need more beds if the outbreak unfolds quickly.

All three counties that surround the Villages have unusually few doctors, according to a community-needs assessment prepared by a local nonprofit. In Sumter County, where most of the Villages is located, the number of physicians per resident was 155 percent below the state average during the 2017-2018 fiscal year, the report said.

And if the Villages does become a hot-zone for coronavirus cases, the community will be counting on a hospital that some residents have said can’t be relied upon for emergency care under normal circumstances.

The Villages Hospital is only one of 228 in the country that the federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services has given a one-star quality rating, on a scale of one star to five. Faust said the hospital is decorated for its care in some specialties and noted the rating system is controversial.

The hospital has been criticized for years over long emergency room wait times, with residents complaining on social media and in letters to Villages-News.com.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BrokenGameboy posted:

The only thing regarding China I'm still ignorant about is the whole discourse surrounding them supposedly suppressing infection and death numbers; every article I see about it seems to be using it as a scapegoat to blame China for our own failures. I don't even know if they are doing that - - is there even evidence or anything - - , but if they are it isn't any different than every other nation right now.

Virtually every single thing you hear in the white media about China is fiction, but it goes mostly unnoticed because white people are both racist and not particularly curious about the rest of the world. This one is just staring you in the face.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
My wife really loves demon slayer tho

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I have a delivery from Whole Foods coming this afternoon and didn't leave a tip when ordering, so I am going to leave some cash in an envelope. I am also fairly well supplied with KN95 masks, and won't use too many of them while I work from home, do you think the WF delivery person would appreciate a clean mask with the tip as well?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
nah I did check my invoice and there was no tip, my wife was f5ing the amazon website because the delivery spots were coming up and getting snatched up right away so I guess it didn’t go through or whatever

good point about being individually wrapped, mine just came in a big box and are not individually wrapped so maybe better to just forget it

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yo so where are you guys getting all the cheap produce and stuff from restaurant wholesalers, how do I find something like that in my area?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Hey guys if you are runing out of TP theres always this

https://www.amazon.com/TENZEPS-Port...6781921&sr=8-13

Of course I don't know where you are going to get them now what with amazon deliveries being backed up.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Gringostar posted:

any research coming out of china always gets peer reviewed (like every other research) and is taken with a grain of salt until verified because of those government imposed redactions

I guess that would explain why most medical research coming out of the west is un-repeatable garbage, because apparently only papers written by the dirty chinks should actually receive any scrutiny.

Check out this load of fake state sponsored "research" they published in January about some "novel coronavirus", clearly some nefarious plot to destroy America's economy with panic. Luckily our wise white scientific minds saw right through it.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2001017

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Seriously though please continue to ignore any and all research coming out of China. I mean who could really know anything about a country of 1.3b people, do we even know they exist? Maybe they've actually all died of the virus already and these papers are just written by ghosts? Makes you think

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
"Well I guess wear a mask if you want."

- Well informed white American health authorities in like the end of March 2020 LMAO.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BMX Ninja posted:

As a gentleman of a certain age, where nasal hair is now part of my grooming, should I continue to do so in these trying times?

Or should I cultivate a forest of nose hair so dense the roni will be forever entrapped?

Itchy overgrown nose hair is the main reason why people scratch/pick/touch their noses so probably go Brazilian on that poo poo

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I mean is he wrong about point 2

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
there’s like two glaring typos in the versus part

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

pigz posted:

This is america right here.

Coop: You're the one saying it's safe
American Mayor: I did not, I said 'Reopen'

The mayor of one of the most prominent travel destinations in the whole world just got on a national news show and said " I didn't' say it was safe, just that we should re-open'. Astounding.

Absolutely amazing. :discourse:

Well even she makes clear in the video she's talking about the city of Las Vegas, not the Vegas Strip which is what most people actually go to see.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
My family is basically reverse mastershakeman: I was a COVID denier lite throughout February, wasn't really paying much attention and thought it was pretty much just a nastier flu right? It's me, I'm the chud in the thread. :downs:

OTOH my wife was a nurse in China and still keeps in touch with her nurse and doctor friends. So our kid stopped going to pre-school 2 weeks before they closed them (and my state was actually one of the faster ones), we have plenty of masks, even child-size N95s, alcohol, sanitizer, etc, and I finally smartened the gently caress up by early March after being berated and called a loving moron by her for days. 80% of the stuff in this thread, symptoms, new treatments, etc that I tell her about, she already knew at least 2 weeks if not a month ago.

Feeling pretty emasculated tbh lol

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
SO can you guys not get groceries delivered by amazon/whole foods? I live right behind a grocery store that I pretty much never go to now because it's about the same price as getting whole foods delivered.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

Shakur — who goes by his middle name, Malik — said Beshear called him Tuesday morning to apologize and he forgave him, apparently figuring it’s no biggie.

:geno:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So has anyone started tallying up the # of cellphone line cancellations and counting the number of coffins and urns ordered nationally to get a real figure for death?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BeefThief posted:

they tried remdisivir in china back in January and stopped using it because while it did eliminate the virus in some patients, they ended up getting reinfected shortly after and dying of heart failure. too bad the whole world didn't read the first cspam roni thread.

Well the lying communist Chinese told me not the drink bleach so bottoms up.

- Americans

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

2 year drug sentence lmao

"Maintaining a drug premise" :stonk:

EDIT: Surely this lady got a fair trial with competent representation and didn't just plead down to 26 month from the 20 year max sentence right

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Goa Tse-tung posted:

so uh don't open er up? :confused:

Wasn't there that fake story in the NYT just now about how Sweden is doing fine (they're not)? Probably Trump saw the headline and just reflexively went in the opposite direction, except in this case that turned out to be the right one.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Trump is going to win every single state in November.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

shovelbum posted:

where we cannot sustain any of this because we will run out of hard currency to purchase necessary imports

LMAO the average American is constantly terrified that Weimar Germany is just around the corner if the government spends a single dime on anything other than F-35s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
My kid is very likely not going to be able to understand English after this.

Also I made elections on my flexspend account at work to account for his preschool tuition, except he's not going and may not go again this year, so uh what now