Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Turdfuzz posted:

so corona threads are the new trump threads which were the new USPOL threads

There's going to be plenty of Trump-related nonsense that isn't coronavirus-related, even in the peak month of the pandemic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Spime Wrangler posted:

donate to bernie, he's got his machine wired into a bunch of corona charities now

SKULL.GIF posted:

gently caress, I knew I was missing something. I don't actually know of any, all the focus right now has been on Congress passing multi-trillion-dollar stimulus bills and disaster funding.

https://secure.actblue.com/donate/b...960587%2EKl-Hd9

Bernie campaign posted:

I'm writing to you today to ask if you can split a contribution between six new charities we've identified that are supporting those most impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.

Here is the truth:

We are in the middle of a serious economic and health crisis. 3.3 million people filed for unemployment last week while the number of reported coronavirus cases and deaths in the U.S. continues to rise.

Many states have ordered non-essential businesses to close, leaving millions of workers with reduced hours and lost income, or out of a job entirely. Many are struggling to pay rent, provide food for their families, and afford the basic necessities they need.

These six new groups – the Restaurant Worker Disaster Relief Fund, the Workers Fund, the National Bail Fund Network's COVID-19 Emergency Response Fund, CERF+ COVID-19 Response Fund, Rent Zero Tenant Organizing Fund, and Amazonians United Mutual Aid Fund – are working on the front lines to help those most vulnerable during this crisis.

They need our support right now. If you can afford to contribute, I am asking today:

Can you please split a $10 contribution between these six new charities today to provide important support to those in need right now?

You can read a bit more about the six new charities below.

Restaurant Worker Disaster Relief Fund is providing direct financial support to restaurant workers in need. With restaurant closures happening in huge numbers, this fund provides small grants to workers who are out of work or with reduced hours.

The Workers Fund is providing direct aid to gig and low-earning contract workers, who have seen their income come to a halt and who don’t have a safety net.

National Bail Fund Network’s COVID-19 Emergency Response Fund is giving direct aid to organizations working during the crisis to free individuals in jails and immigration detention centers. Jails are potential hot spots for spreading the virus, and people who can be bailed out should be.

CERF+ COVID-19 Response Fund is offering a safety net and disaster aid for artists and artisans during the crisis. Protecting artists during this crisis is essential, as their income has disappeared, and sustaining the arts should always be a priority for our society.

Rent Zero Tenant Organizing Fund is supporting tenants across the country to organize and win demands for eviction moratorium and no rents during the crisis and recovery. With millions of people out of work, this is vital organizing work to protect people in need.

Amazonians United Mutual Aid Fund is organizing a mutual aid fund for Amazon warehouse workers who are putting themselves at risk during this crisis, focusing first on warehouses that have confirmed coronavirus cases but whose coworkers must still work without adequate safety protections.

Now more than ever it is important that we are willing to fight for people we do not know. With so many put out of work or put in harm's way as a result of the coronavirus crisis, we must do all we can to help those impacted.

If you can split a contribution today – and only if you can afford to – it would go a long way toward helping these groups provide critical support during this time of need.

Contribute $10 to split between these six new organizations supporting people who are most impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.

We understand if you are not able to contribute today. As always, thank you for being a part of this campaign and for showing that we are all in this together.

In solidarity,

Faiz Shakir
Campaign Manager

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Inceltown posted:

Does anyone have a link to the new thread? The old one is closed and posting is life.

your keys are right in your hand

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I watched the docudrama Supervolcano once and it was okay

https://www.yellowstonepark.com/things-to-do/yellowstones-geothermal-energy

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 02:28 on Apr 1, 2020

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I'm on board with abolishing states now

I used to be against the idea of abolishing states for civil libertarian reasons, e.g. national ID, but that has already pretty much happened anyway with the REAL ID Act and now I'm pretty sure it's not worth all the red tape that comes from 50 different systems with regard to things like state-level zoning and transportation laws

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/03/health/coronavirus-tipsheets/coronavirus-proof-your-home/index.html

"Set up a disinfecting station — an area outside your home or in a room with low foot traffic where you can disinfect packaged food"

That sounds like a lot of work

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

can't stop touching my face to do the :thunk: expression

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

In my defense, there was no way I could have known that lighting myself on fire wasn't the only way to roast a hot dog, or that fire can spread to other people and places when you don't sufficiently social distance yourself from them

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

My dad seemed to be having trouble breathing when he had the flu, like a rasping kind of breath, I asked if he was all right, and he said yes. I wish I'd made a bigger deal out of it right then and said something like "You NEED to go to the hospital right now" instead of "Well, all right"

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Health policy plan for the coronavirus pandemic

- The best things in life are free (so health insurance must not be one of those things)
- Live, laugh while covering your mouth to prevent the spread of contagious droplets, and love at a social distance
- Fake it 'til you make it
- Home is where the heart is, until your heart stops

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.vulture.com/2020/04/if-i-wrote-a-coronavirus-episode.html

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

yeah, franchises have been able to apply for "small business loans" on the grounds that the location is a small business, it's just that the corporation which is a separate business gets a cut, since forever

It's absolutely what no one thinks of when the phrase "small business" is said, on top of the cutoff being above 500 employees nowadays, because whenever Congress talks about small businesses being competitive with megacorporations, it's always about lifting small-to-medium businesses up at the expense of workers instead of bringing the megacorporations down relative to workers

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It's genocide, but in a radiation therapy kind of way that involves claiming it isn't intentional because regular cells are dying, too

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

suicide by Biden

:zpatriot::zpatriot::zpatriot::zpatriot:                                                                                  :corsair:

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 23:20 on Apr 2, 2020

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

bets are strongly in favor of no one being able to relate to this because of hyperfocus on relatively well-off remote workers, instead of workers being ordered to come into work while someone coughs all over them

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Dustcat posted:

> sorry, there's a pandemic out there and we're social distancing

> (lie) i think i might have been exposed and i don't want to bring it to you guys

> (attack) gently caress you

I'd go with the first one and proceed to the third one if they don't take the first for an answer

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Starting out saying something that everybody already knows to make himself look more reasonable, like "George Bush wasn't responsible for Hurricane Katrina, but", made the last part of his sentence reads like "womp womp womp womp womp [whining like a weasel scratching at a shut door]"

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/akanoego/status/1246562736915578881

argument between neoliberals and CHUDs where the CHUDs are using how the WHO played nice with China as a carrot toward compliance as representative of a failure of all expertise, while either ignorant or pretending that experts at places like the Imperial College of London weren't predicting 1-2 million deaths

They're both right and they're both wrong, but I don't feel like registering and then spending a while trying to clear it up

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Capitalism is a system which assigns no inherent value to human life, leaving it ripe for profit through unprosecuted negligent homicide. People who have deceived themselves into thinking they're generous, at a certain level of wealth, have the temptation to hold onto that wealth, like the One Ring, so that they can accrue interest to have more wealth to give away "later". The people with the most ambition in the form of greed and lust for power, rather than ambition in helping people, are judged most deserving of control of a capitalism system.

There are plenty of kind people out there. They don't have any control over what's happening

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

corroborates

https://twitter.com/NorbertElekes/status/1243970600017760256
https://www.brusselstimes.com/economics/103245/belgians-urged-to-work-hard-to-avoid-economic-collapse-due-to-covid-19-crisis/

:smith:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

shovelbum posted:

How can they possibly not spread it? They get it, they cough, and it somehow doesn't ever come out at all?

It was before these stories came out and the WHO thought they couldn't catch it. I don't know if they've officially changed their minds yet

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

I love this. It's like when my mom gets mad that a part on her car stopped working and she tries to bargain the problem away by saying "but it was just working fine yesterday!"

No poo poo, motherfucker. The economy was less broken before 10 million people were suddenly unemployed? You don't say! Guess what: the economy was "working fine" before the mortgage crisis peaked too. Acute triggers having long-term impacts on unrelated sectors of the economy isn't some loving unexpected outcome.

:yeah:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

the munchkins in The Wizard of Oz were also villains for cheering that the witch was dead, imo

(not serious)

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Frog Act posted:

yeah I don't know how to emphasize this enough. she says that since i go to the grocery store and get gas it's the same thing. i have to do that and i know she could survive without those shifts. this is turning into a big fight and i don't know how to convince her i can't risk my families life for her to make ~$90 a week.

It's likely that 1-2 million people will die from this. You're in the right.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/06/business/coronavirus-grocers-one-way-aisles/index.html

On Thursday when I went grocery shopping, I kept getting boxed in by people who turned their cart into the aisle at both ends after I'd entered it. That was the last time I'm going grocery shopping for two months, hopefully. This sounds like a good measure, if they really have the tech for it

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2020/04/06/chernobyl-radiation-forest-fires-mh-orig.cnn/video/playlists/top-news-videos/

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

kitty kitty :3:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

edit: nm

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 22:12 on Apr 7, 2020

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I'm thinking about whether to reschedule a doctor's appointment in a week. I called and asked if it'd be safer to reschedule, and they told me if the doctor thinks it's best to reschedule, then she'll do that and call me, and I can reschedule, but it's entirely up to me. My mom wants me to reschedule for as late as possible and the local news thinks it's going to peak here in late April. I'm going to call back and reschedule for mid-July

edit: I mean "Data compiled by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation shows Tennessee will see the most cases of COVID-19 in late April."

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 20:52 on Apr 8, 2020

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Did schools start teaching people to call 911 only in the 1990s or something? Because saying "Call 911!" all through that article is the only way I can deal with it

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 04:55 on Apr 9, 2020

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/MikeAre2/status/1248239559172919303

"I could not spread disease, but that would mean losing clients...and profits! :ohdear:" and then he probably loses some by being a weirdo

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

a lot of death today

:rip::rip::rip::rip::rip:

seems like someone should do something

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Privatized and non-profit breadlines don't count as breadlines to most people who bring up the word "breadline"

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"People should be free to do what they want, any old time, even during a pandemic, without any government to stop them" libertarianism and
"If the pandemic were such a threat, then the government probably would have done something by now and closed places, so it's fine to mass congregate anywhere it's legal" authority-deference

is like a yin-yang of self-reinforcing opposites that help the COVID-19 numbers go up

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I canceled my mid-April doctor's appointment, and I am really hoping that the local prevalence of the disease is not worse in July than it is now, but I don't have high hopes for that

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

this is what happens when you take food safety inspection for granite

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Atrocious Joe posted:

this and all the other non-weirdo accounts tweeting videos make it seem like a smallish eruption
https://twitter.com/shannonmstirone/status/1248811612284153859?s=20

Yeah, as long as everyone's at a safe distance, I'm glad of it.

looks pretty

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

A strange moment in March was when a news anchor said that citizens without a medical job wearing masks were "letting themselves be ruled by fear" for not adhering to the early CDC announcement

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I am checking my bank account daily, even hourly, begging for my $$$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Dolphin posted:

i have a raspberry pi zero and no idea what to do with it. someone tell me how to turn it into something useful that I'll use every day

It's not a zero, but

https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/articles/raspberry-pi-fridge-monitor

can be a guard against accidentally leaving your freezer door open due to something jamming it, although that article's written for a fridge