Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

this is the thread where we're seeing the cases peak

next thread is the one with the peak in deaths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

doesn't matter much what the total number of cases is, or what the number of hidden cases is, this shifts by a week or two at most

the only thing that makes a real difference is the transmission factor, and to change that we would have to institute serious lockdowns

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i'm gonna stare directly at the supervolcano, i'm not afraid of it

i'm gonna show it my scars that i got from fighting a coronavirus barehanded

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Turdfuzz posted:

Is Yellowstone About To Erupt? Here's How To Find Out

hang on gusy i gotta take this quiz

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

DesertIslandHermit posted:

One day, more people in NYC will die from roni a day than in 9/11 but this time our President doesn't give a poo poo of New York

e: wait in NYC let me do some calculations

yes this is correct:

Stereotype posted:

we are 10 or 11 days from there it looks like

Dustcat has issued a correction as of 02:30 on Apr 1, 2020

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

neutral milf hotel posted:

lol our goal is 100-240,000 DEATHS

this is some dark poo poo

did trump actually order the intervention that would result in that extremely optimistic curve

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

KaptainKrunk posted:

someone mathy tell me what 75-100 deaths over the expected amount today in the model where we end up with 150k dead means in total

it means nothing, there's a lot of noise in these numbers

the 150k dead total was a ridiculously optimistic prediction based on the assumption that we'd do a full lockdown everywhere, which didn't happen

the realistic prediction is 3 million dead

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

daily numbers for the ongoing day mean nothing at all, you need to wait a few days for all the reports to come in and be processed before you even have a number approaching the correct official number for the day

and when case numbers exceed testing capability all the official numbers are basically just reading 3.6 roentgen

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

wolfs posted:

is 3 million from the imperial college paper or elsewhere?

no, it's just the ballpark of what you get when you multiply 330 million by X percent getting it and Y percent dying of it because icu beds aren't available, plugging in various reasonable numbers for X and Y

D1E posted:

3 million by what date?

when the epidemic is mostly over, which would probably be july here in the us

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Sir Tonk posted:

lol the pandemic thread is now monthly like the trump thread

which will come first, the last trump thread or the last pandemic thread?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

etalian posted:

Also my workplace send out constant reminders, Make sure you use vacation time if you get sick from CV!

If you use up your vacation time then make sure to use unpaid leave.

hooray, it's bring your roni to work week at your workplace

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Is it edgy if I go buy rice a roni on my next shopping trip?

Also if you're reading this you aren't part of the 600+ people in the US that died today, friends. And I hope you never are.

depending on where you live, just making a shopping trip could be edgy

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Mayor Dave posted:

So our warehouse has been shipping for the last two weeks because the CEO decided that we qualified as essential (we definitely aren't) and today I found out that most of our senior management believe it's either a hoax or a Chinese bioweapon

it owns that everyone in a position of any power is a republican and so has had their brain completely fried by decades of insane conspiracy garbage driven originally by a right wing propaganda network designed to let republicans get away with crimes and lately by foreign botnets designed to destroy america

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

the republicans will probably try to cancel the election if it looks like trump will lose and they can't fix it, and they absolutely will cancel it if it looks like the dems are going to win both house and senate

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

shovelbum posted:

Can't cats get it

a little, as a treat

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

Was this for the 100K to 240K uncertainty interval overall?

the 100k-240k estimate was based on the assumption that drastic measures would be taken to slow the spread

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

god just likes to click the tornado button sometimes it's your own fault for not moving out of the way

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

if they have trouble sourcing them, i'm confident our nation's sewing circles will organize to start making these desperately needed body bags for our brave first responders

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i'm gonna take a gamble that holding on to this umbrella will enable me to fly like mary poppins as i step off the roof

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i swear when this mess is sorted out ten or twenty years from now they're gonna find out the entire american right wing media apparatus was infiltrated and coopted by the russian government back in 2012 and laser targeted to destroy america from the inside

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I wonder if any of the plague ships are small enough to make it to Chicago by water.

we should build a plague helicarrier

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

lol emergency golf order activated

maybe they figure this will be less damaging than the press rallies where he praises pence for artfully dodging a question for five minutes

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

shovelbum posted:

The math of 20% dead without treatment including young people and America completely failing at social distancing is terrifying me to the point I can't even get out of bed in the morning, no one seems to be afraid enough at all even in here

it's not gonna be that bad

20% get put on supplemental oxygen if there's hospital space because we do that as a precaution

doesn't mean none of them would survive without it

the real rate is probably somewhere around 5-7%

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

shovelbum, nowhere on the planet has the death rate hit 20% in the general population

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

mrmcd posted:

I think we should -- now hear me out -- do this:

1. Nationalize every for profit healthcare facility.
2. Hang all their CEOs and "administrators" from the lamp posts.

this would save a lot of lives but sadly we're not in the saving lives business here

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

hello sir i just need you to stay conscious long enough to go through your triage worksheet, can you tell me, how much can you bench press? do you have previous experience fighting large predatory mammals? have you ever found yourself replying to someone before they had actually asked you a question? when you close your eyes, do you ever see a giant eye staring back at you?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

the problem with the ventilators was that they had been sitting around long enough that all the lead acid batteries had died

easy enough to fix but just another sad indication that when america sends people out to do things, we're not sending our best

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

facetoucher cat posted:

It's been a rough month this April

gonna quote this post on april 30th and just cry

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

peepsalot posted:

post your new fave apolalypse songs itt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en8HZ6X20Og

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

peepsalot posted:

post your new fave apolalypse songs itt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLNM-rJi1mM

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Google Butt posted:

lol gently caress I just touched my mouth to my fingers bad but I've barely left my house in 3 weeks, haven't been within 6 feet of another human in that time either but I'm still on a verge of a panic attack.

lol settle the gently caress down you idiots and quit doing so much weed if it's causing you to freak out

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

what caliber handgun is best for hydrating

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

deport him to mad-hole

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

here's an interesting article saying the toilet paper shortage might not just be due to hoarding but because people having to poop at home means they actually need more tp now

quote:

There’s another, entirely logical explanation for why stores have run out of toilet paper — one that has gone oddly overlooked in the vast majority of media coverage. It has nothing to do with psychology and everything to do with supply chains. It helps to explain why stores are still having trouble keeping it in stock, weeks after they started limiting how many a customer could purchase.
In short, the toilet paper industry is split into two, largely separate markets: commercial and consumer. The pandemic has shifted the lion’s share of demand to the latter. People actually do need to buy significantly more toilet paper during the pandemic — not because they’re making more trips to the bathroom, but because they’re making more of them at home. With some 75% of the U.S. population under stay-at-home orders, Americans are no longer using the restrooms at their workplace, in schools, at restaurants, at hotels, or in airports.
Georgia-Pacific, a leading toilet paper manufacturer based in Atlanta, estimates that the average household will use 40% more toilet paper than usual if all of its members are staying home around the clock. That’s a huge leap in demand for a product whose supply chain is predicated on the assumption that demand is essentially constant. It’s one that won’t fully subside even when people stop hoarding or panic-buying.

https://twitter.com/katienotopoulos/status/1245771832353062912

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

currently 51,671 on worldometer

this will be fun to revisit in about a week as covid exceeds seasonal flu deaths, and then every week after that until it blows through the cancer numbers in six or seven weeks

:toot:

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

the phrase "side hustle" is loving poison in my ears

companies sure love it when their employees have side hustles and little moonlight jobs under the table

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

RVs are gross

don't mind me, just drivin around w/ 75 gallons on poop of board, tee hee hope i don't need a sludge enema lol

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

jared's mad cause he can't sell off the federal stockpile now that people know what's in it

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i'm gonna lmao forever if ending this program somehow led to the lab tossing something in the trash that shouldn't have been

i don't expect we'll ever know so i'm probably just gonna assume it did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

euphronius posted:

I’m glad trump has destroyed America

i kinda wish he hadn't but whatever

steve bannon was right you gotta burn it all