Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Oh my god this artbook has pictures of the characters as toads :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Now I want to see Cloud and Zack do some kind of a combination of X-Strike and Omnislash

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

Side note: anyone else get strangely hit in the gut by the "AVALANCHE!" cheer and ensuing conversations after Barret tells Cloud he's not coming on the second bombing mission?

Too busy laughing at Jessie of all people calling Biggs and Wedge "thirsty boys" in that scene

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

If all this doesn't result in a world where you go on a Gold Saucer date with Jessie I am going to be very mad

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Yes, but now we are expecting it. Actually, people are expecting two things now:

1. Aerith dies during the Holy scene,
2. Aerith does not die during the Holy scene

So, like, gently caress.

Ah yes, the ol' Schrödinger's Aerith

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

They'll put the original Final Fantasy 7 in as a Gold Saucer game. Sephiroth will hover over your shoulder the entire time. "Oh, you died to Carry Armor again. That's just like you....Cloud."

Since there are now multiple bosses and enemies in this that do the Carry Armor gimmick of temporarily removing party members from the fight, I'm suddenly very afraid of what they'll come up with for Carry Armor to improve on that

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Clarste posted:

In terms of skipping places though, I do think they could just skip everything between Midgar and Junon without losing much. Maybe include some kind of Midgardsorm dungeon or sequence since that's about the only part that isn't generic. Costa del Sol and Icicle Inn also stand out as completely meaningless towns.

Costa del Sol has the amazing scene of Hojo on the beach surrounded by bikini babes, you cannot possibly skip seeing this Hojo do that

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Harrow posted:

Cloud's dress is apparently determined by what "path" you take through Wall Market. Depending on how you treat people and what choices you make (and how much you spend on your hand massage), Cloud can either get side quests from Madam M, Chocobo Sam, or Johnny, and the dress Cloud ends up with is determined by which one of those you do.

The quests with Johnny are the Chocobo Sam quests, the third dress is from getting whichever set of sidequests and then not doing them.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The weirdest thing to me on this soundtrack is Flying High, the song that plays when you parachute down to the slums in Chapter 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYiPZ3JdHHI

because it sounds like the Top Gun opening theme, Top Gun Anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2M7QwHnVXQ

The song owns but wtf

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

HD DAD posted:

“poo poo uh...we need to get this destiny thing back on track.”

*Aerith triggers her peanut allergy and dies, meteor immediately explodes*

A Final Destination scenario where Aerith keeps narrowly avoiding increasingly unlikely causes of death

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Cnidaria posted:

cloud gets killed and aerith becomes the protagonist for the rest of the game

Bladed Staff but it's a staff and the Buster Sword taped together

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

anakha posted:

At what point was the 'don't fall in love with me' scene between Cloud and Aerith occur and what replaced it? Wanted to know what chapters I need to replay to get that result.

morallyobjected posted:

it's one of the chapter 14 ends I think, but it depends on your choices from earlier chapters

It's right at the beginning of Chapter 14 when you spend the night at Aerith's house. You go outside at night and talk to either Aerith, Tifa, or Barret. In this case "Chapter 14 resolution" means "the resolution of earlier events that happens in chapter 14", not "the resolution of chapter 14".

AFAIK it depends on dialogue choices in chapters 2 (flower), 3 (drink at the bar), and 9 (Chocobo Sam, hotel), sidequests in chapters 3, 8 and maybe 9, and who you talk first before Abzu in chapter 10. I think the choice between the girls can be made with just the dialogue choices and Abzu fight, but for Barret you can't do the sidequests in those chapters because they give points towards the girls. You have to talk to one of them in chapter 10, pick Tifa if going for Barret because Aerith has more points by default, just like in the original.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Mulva posted:

The thing about Barrett is that he's the most sensitive character in the game. Like the dude is 400 pounds of heart

Now now, we have on good authority that he's actually a 300 pound sack of poo poo

Ms Adequate posted:

and her immediate and rapidly strengthening friendship with Aeris was wonderful.

Yeah this was one of my absolute favorite things about the game, they are both so very good so it stands to reason that they are also good together

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

things like this and the song he sings when you sidetrack to get the Chocobo summon are why I love him

The part with the blowing fans where you first see that materia is great too:

"I feel no fear ...yeah, no fear ...no fear ...no fear—little fear!"

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Beefstew posted:

Cloud and Tifa absolutely hosed at the end of disc two.
She says "words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel." Fade to black. They wake up together the next day. Tifa is embarrassed at the idea that they might've been seen. They deffo banged.

You only get that dialogue if you did the Tifa date

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

You're so vain
You probably think this game is about you
You're so vain,
I'll bet you think this game is about you
Don't you?
Don't you?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

anakha posted:

I've played the original several times over in the past decade, and I'm excited about where things will go next.

I'm firmly in the camp that a remake that just sticks to the original general storyline would be a letdown, and that the uncertainty of how the storyline will progress in the next installment makes me more emotionally invested in the eventual outcome.

Yeah same on both points. Final Fantasy is my favorite game series of all time and 7 is probably my favorite game in the series. I absolutely love the remake and can't wait to play the next part

The implication that you're not a Real Fan if you don't hate the ending loving sucks

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Because we're gonna have Gideon Emery survive if we can help it, darn it.

He's the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Yes Twitch chat is garbage you should never read, what else is new

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Metacritic user score is 8.0, which while lower than some other FF games is not exactly a "capital G Gamers review bombing it" number

Like if you seriously think this game is universally hated you're getting played by a vocal minority of angry nerds bigtime

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Absolutely cannot wait for the Hojo beach scene

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

god bless my endangered magic edgy teen catdog son

His animation for pulling the levers is hilarious, as is the scene where Barret tells him to smile

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Kill All Cops posted:

I've been using this guide to sperg hard on all the secret poo poo: https://jegged.com/Games/Final-Fantasy-VII/Walkthrough/Disc-1/

I also used this as a checklist when I replayed it earlier this year, their guides seem pretty good overall

Also imo FF7 graphics mods look like poo poo, the "improved" models always look completely out of place. It's an old game, let it look like one

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

For Aerith it's Reinforced Staff because no matter what difficulty you're on, MP Saver for curative magic and Reprieve for our healer is better than virtually anything else you can give her.

That's Guard Stick, Reinforced Staff doesn't have the healing MP reduction

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

Wow, I must have just straight up forgotten. Reprieve is still my favorite choice to give Aerith, but yeah Guard Stick owns as well if you just don't ever die.

No I mean Guard Stick is the one that has both, that's why it's the best

e: I fully agree with your reasoning, you just had the wrong weapon listed is all

Veib fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 22, 2020

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I think XII is an ok game, but it most definitely has the worst and most boring final boss in the entire series, both as a battle and as a character

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The rest of the cast are primarily anime/game VAs while Wedge was played by Badger from Breaking Bad, was what I read into that.

And now I remembered that Aaron Paul was the lead in the FF15 tie-in movie. Get Bryan Cranston for a 7R2 role. Bugenhagen?

Cid, 32 and 64 are basically the same thing when it comes to jrpgs

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The folding chair bit is probably the single funniest thing in the game, she's so loving excited about doing it

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Where's the manuscript in Chapter 6? I completed it on hard but I didn't get it :negative:

It's where the Chocobo & Moogle summon was on normal, behind the big fans

It's the only one you have to physically go find on the ground, everything else is either from a boss or a sidequest

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Remake Cid vapes

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I think I mostly just switched whatever I had linked to Elemental to hit weaknesses, the big exception obviously being Hell House because you really want to be able to hit all four. I used the weapons that have Reprieve and healing mana cost reduction for the entire game for every character

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Maybe Shinra benefits include plastic surgery for higher ups

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Crowetron posted:

The super-jump building cutting stuff only happens inside the Whisper dimension, and there's no reason to think everything that happens there is literal. Meteor gets slurped up in there, if all that stuff is as real as Cloud & Barret kicking a door then the plot's already over.

Yeah it's a weird fate dimension that you enter by going through a hole in reality, why would it obey the laws of physics

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's great because when you're chasing cats with her or whatever she begins to talk about how she came to Midgar 5 years ago only to immediately change the subject because the whole thing worries her and her solution is to just completely ignore it.

Ignoring a problem and hoping it goes away only for it to get worse and worse is quite possibly the most relatable thing a fictional character can do

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Canon isn't real, it can't hurt you

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

You can just look at any David Cage interview to realize that creators can be full of poo poo and not understand their own work at all

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

The Zack stuff seems to be an alternate timeline caused by the team beating the Whispers. Even if not, he's in the past, so how would he catch up or interact with the current cast?

Being in the past his adventure through Midgar will only take like six hours, so he's just hanging out in Kalm waiting for everyone to get their lazy Remake asses over

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

stev posted:

If I want to do the Aerith colleseum fights that I missed the first time round do I have to do all of chapter 9 again including Hell House?

gently caress that if so.

Yes.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

FFXIV also has XII-style instanced zones but larger, and they even use the exact same dotted line to indicate a zone border

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

They should've made a prequel where you play as Hojo to cash in on the sad dad genre of games

Sad dad, mad dad, close enough