Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

At what point was the 'don't fall in love with me' scene between Cloud and Aerith occur and what replaced it? Wanted to know what chapters I need to replay to get that result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tifa even in the original game was more emotionally fragile than Aerith, before she got Flanderized by the EU.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The self-destruct mechanism could also be, to Shinra's eyes, like setting up an old building to collapse on itself (without damaging adjacent buildings) so they can repurpose the lot.

If you look at the design, the plates have gaps between them and removing one would not have impacted the integrity of the others.

Not saying that having the mechanism there isn't hosed up, but if your upper management is as twisted as Shinra's is, having that built-in would be justifiable to them.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

guts and bolts posted:

I think we can all agree that Reeve is a piece of poo poo and that FF7R would improve drastically if he died and the party never recruited Cat poo poo. Instead, we recruit Andrea Rhodea.

Now I want to see an Andi limit break be a dance-off complete with minigame timed button presses.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Caidin posted:

Probably not much to do for entertainment in a test tube for 4 years but work on your steps.

Now I want a scene where Hojo is taking notes while Cloud/Zack get their groove on in the Mako tubes.

guts and bolts posted:

The true burning question is why would he lie about having hips that straight up don't lie. Barret invites the crew to a dance party during the second bombing mission and Cloud's all "I don't dance." THE gently caress YOU DON'T, BUDDY

Between Barret and Andi, I'd rather dance with Andi too.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

As an NBA fan, I got more annoyed at the pronunciation of Kyrie's name.

The whole fake news peddling is sadly too prevalent where I live for it to have much emotional impact anymore.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

I wonder if apprehension about the ending and direction the remake is taking is proportional to how familiar you are with the original FF7

I've never played FF7, but know the general synopsis from internet osmosis, and I'm immensely interested in seeing where story goes from here on out

I've played the original several times over in the past decade, and I'm excited about where things will go next.

I'm firmly in the camp that a remake that just sticks to the original general storyline would be a letdown, and that the uncertainty of how the storyline will progress in the next installment makes me more emotionally invested in the eventual outcome.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Pure speculation: Aerith's speech in Chapter 18 about taking on Fate might also be covering up her 'selfish' want to survive because while she knows letting Fate have its way will result in a pyrrhic victory for the Planet, she's all 'gently caress that, I want to live'.

Paying the price of that decision and living with the consequences is what I'm looking forward to seeing in the next installments.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Harrow posted:

I'm really curious if his transformations will be a limit break, his triangle move, or his weapon abilities (assuming that system makes a return in the sequel).

Gotta be his limit break since making it a triangle move or tying it to a weapon kinda cheapens the transformation IMO.

What I'm more curious about is whether the transformations will be controllable or not.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Onmi posted:

They wont be Limit Breaks. I see them being his Triangle. I see his Triangle being a very firm Mode Switch that changes Vincent from Ranged Gunplay to Melee.

Making the transformation switchable seems weird to me because part of his pathos is struggling to keep the monsters inside from breaking out. Making it switchable heavily implies they are controllable, and that's a major reworking of his character and backstory.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh man this game must have one of the top ten all time implementations of dynamic reactive soundtracks, that fight was phenomenal

The consensus among streamers, reviewers and the general playerbase has been that the music implementation for this game has been pretty loving good.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

guts and bolts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVpNkx2uXLY

yeah this game's dynamic soundtrack is alright i guess

I felt that shift 5 minutes into the track in my soul.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Rhonne posted:

Also, if you where going to have one of the AVALANCHE trio survive then why couldn't it have been Jessie! :mad:

In the scene with an injured Biggs in bed, what appear to be Jessie's gloves are on the bedside table.

Of course they'd leave a teaser to make people wonder if she actually survived. :argh:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I suspect they'll get cold feet, because of how wildly angry FF7 fans are about the ending to this game and the implications that it's different from the original in any way.

There's definitely a vocal group that have expressed their dislike, but I honestly have not seen any clear evidence that the majority of fans are angry about the direction the game took. Metacritic has majority positive user reviews.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Twitch chats are full of people screaming "NOMURAAA" and blaming Plot Ghosts 'n poo poo, I suspect that the new gator cry will be purity or whatever. ("new")

Twitch users are hardly what I'd call representative of your FF7/FF7R playerbase.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Anyone who thinks the creators had contempt for FF7 is actively and openly ignoring the entire rest of the game

In this very thread:

quote:

It definitely seems like that ending was 100% designed to be the creative director speaking directly to the audience and telling us that's the only part of a faithful FF7 Remake you're going to get.

They knew full well this wasn't actually a remake and deliberately mislabeled it for sales because "FF7-2: Cloud Returns" wouldn't sell enough copies to justify the cost.

Someone is mad almost nobody played the FF13 sequel games, so they're just going to use the FF7 characters and setting to retell Lightning Returns.

Actively hating your audience works great when you're Yoko Taro telling an appropriate story of loss. It does not work for the FF team selling me anime fights.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

guts and bolts posted:

But that quote is from Xaiter IIRC, and he's the guy who perceives himself as the target for the antagonism. I've seen at least as many takes that have this reading from people who hated FF7R as those who didn't.

ImpAtom's original point still stands, though. It's illogical to take the position that the ending was done out of spite given how much obvious care was put into the game.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

when i first saw Red crack off Stardust Ray my brain went "OH MY GOD HE'S DOING THE THIIIIIIING"

This was me when Cloud did the victory sword twirl in the Coliseum.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Maximilian Dood is dissecting Sephiroth's appearance at the ending right now.

His key point is that Post-Advent Children Sephiroth has come back and is trying to gently caress things up (symbolized by the black bird flying to Midgar at the beginning cinematic), hence his appearance being taken from Advent Children.

E: LMAO he's roasting all the guys going :argh:NOMURA:argh:

E2: Holy poo poo, I never realized that the BGM after Cloud meets Sephiroth for the first time is taken from AC. That does support his theory.

anakha fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 22, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Played 4 first, still love it to this day because I got invested in the characters. It's my 3rd favorite FF title.

Character investment drives my like for FF titles. I stopped at FFX before playing FF7R, but my top 5 would be in order: 7, 9, 4, 8, 6.

For JRPGs in general, slot in Chrono trigger after 7 and before 9.

anakha fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 22, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Jessie's bottomless thirst will give her power to return.

The next game will feature an easter egg scene of Jessie struggling against the whispers while screaming "He hasn't eaten my pizza yet!"

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Do I really have to play through Chapter 9 AGAIN to get Aerith's Telluric Scriptures II? It's gonna be a slog going thru all the pre-coliseum stuff to get there.

anakha fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 25, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Does max warding plus subversion stop the Tonberry instakills?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

No need to kinkshame Lucrecia.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The scene where President Shinra talks to them and then they get thrown into prison would seem less believable now, and I'm glad they took it out.

All those scenes where Sephiroth is loving with Cloud's brain in Chapters 2 and 3 make more sense in hindsight as to explaining why Cloud wants to go after the guy.

Re: the ending - I think things can still escalate further beyond that final fight. Sephiroth can do something even greater in scope now that he's not bound by fate, so who knows how the final climactic battle will look.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The WEAPON fights have to be some Shadow of the Colossus type-deal right

In the OG you could do that abstracted stand across from them in a line but if you're going more realistic, they are kaiju-sized

Any sort of WEAPON fight might have to be its own long-running dedicated chapter like the Air Buster.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

stev posted:

If only someone had thought to tell them that they win with relatively minor losses in the default timeline which isn't actually worth risking just because Aerith doesn't like the idea of fate.

The loss of the last remaining Ancient and humanity eventually dying out (OG FF7 ending) might be a minor loss only from the Planet's perspective.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I find this part interesting. The Whisper Trio have very strong similarities to the Sephiroth remnants from Advent Children. Rubrum is Kadaj, Viridi is Loz (even has the same elemental affinity), and Croceo is Yazoo. In Advent Children, those three are basically pieces of Sephiroth's will/consciousness that linger in the Lifestream. I have to wonder if it "means" anything that the Whisper Trio so closely resemble them, or if it's just an Easter egg. Is it the Sephiroth remnants fighting for a future in which they exist? Is it Sephiroth's will already infecting the Whispers? Or is it just a fun reference?

There's also a theme from Advent Children that appears in FF7R, right near the beginning. After Cloud's alleyway encounter with Sephiroth, "The Promised Land" plays, which is music from Advent Children, not the original FF7:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0ykjghVoaA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7ucFzXPo4M

Fun Easter egg, or meant to suggest an actual connection to Advent Children?

In the Easy Allies FF7R discussion with Maximilian Dood, they postulated that the Sephiroth that was loving with Cloud's brain in Chapter 2 onwards has actually been Sephiroth post-Advent Children, using the same things you mentioned above. He knows he lost in that timeline and wants to prevent it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that podcast is what got me thinking about it. What I'm trying to figure out is why the Whisper Trio mimic the Sephiroth remnants if they're fighting against you changing fate. Why would they want the original timeline to happen? That's what makes me think that's either an Easter egg, or the reason Aerith wants you to kill the Whispers is because Sephiroth is already infecting them. (It's probably just an Easter egg.)

Another theory is that the Planet knows the Sephiroth remnants gave the heroes trouble before and manifested them in the hopes of having similar success.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

stev posted:

Did they give the heroes trouble? I recall them all being swatted away like flies to make way for Big Daddy as soon as there was no more plot to worry about.

Kinda meta, but as the collective embodiment of 'sticking to the plot', wouldn't it make more sense for the Whispers to manifest them then?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Eopia posted:

One of the first things I did in Hard mode was get the Gotterdammerung and I regret nothing. It's made the rest of these hard mode chapters so much easier and it's so satisfying to open every Sahagin fight with a limit break to end their lives.

Cloud with Gotterdammerung, Magnify + [chapter-relevant elemental magic materia], and MP Absorb + [same elemental magic materia] is just wrecking most of Hard Mode for me.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You can double link materia that way?

If you've got two of the same magic materia, sure - just like in the original FF7, you could get multiple effects out of say Fire by linking a Fire materia to a support materia and then another Fire materia to another support materia in a separate link.

Harrow posted:

Apparently Nomura's original idea at the end was just to have a subtle change that would clue the player in that things might not be going where they expect, and then the rest of the staff was like, "Yeah but what if we add more crazy scenes to the ending?" and that's how FF7R's ending came to be

Nomura as the voice of restraint in a Squeenix storyline endeavor? :psypop:

anakha fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 29, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I dunno, that description makes Jenova sound more like Lavos, which I'm not sure I like.

E: Schwartzcough :argh:

anakha fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 30, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Playing Doom Eternal in between Hard Mode chapters, and I swear to God, the the Marauder plays just like Rufus Shinra. Only thing that's missing is the white outfit with an assload of belts.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

'That was a pathetic marching performance in Junon. No wonder you never made it into SOLDIER, Cloud.'

...yes, that loving minigame still haunts me.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

So I started on hard today, only intending to do a couple chapters a day, ended up playing all the way up to the airbuster, beating it and getting up to the point of getting sidequests in the next chapter. If I want to get all the trophies then I have to do this and the next chapter a bunch on hard right cause each sidequest gives a manuscript and I'll have to not do them on one playthrough to get the worst dress for Aerith? I think I got the dresses for doing all the sidequests for Aerith and Tifa so I've kind of doomed myself to doing this a few times now.

Would the best/most efficient way just be to bite the bullet now, do all of the side quests on hard in Chapter 8 so I get all the manuscripts and Aeriths best dress again and get a different Cloud dress (I picked a different Tifa dress already) and then at some point play through it again on normal in the future? Chapter 9 has the mutually exclusive side quests so there's no avoiding replaying that on hard if I want all the manuscripts.

You can get the manuscripts without completing the quests. The manuscripts are tied to defeating the key monsters, so you can do that and just not talk to the people after that would mark the quest as complete.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Beefstew posted:

This thread is an anomaly. Almost everywhere else I've looked has been overwhelmingly negative.

Then that would have been reflected in the reviews. Which it hasn't.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Still got to have somewhere to escalate to for later entries in the series though.

Considering the final boss in OG FF7, you think Seph with one wing in this game is already the high point boss-wise?

Bleck posted:

how vociferously people complain is often not related to how many people are complaining

Please make this the new thread title, thanks.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

BaDandy posted:

It does raise a lot of questions about how Sephiroth didn't even go full out for this boss fight this time, now that you mention it.

There's an implication here that the Sephiroth in Chapter 18 is different from any the group has faced before, and of course, we'll have to figure it out in the next installments.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Beefstew posted:

All I'm saying is that this is happening, and the ending isn't getting showered with sunshine and rainbows everywhere, contrary to what the atmosphere in here might be.

Then maybe you should have started off saying that instead of opening with exaggerated poo poo like:

Beefstew posted:

Almost everywhere else I've looked has been overwhelmingly negative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

And North Corel pretty much looks the same regardless of how you do on that mission. Lost opportunity there.