Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I have no idea what’s going on anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Onmi posted:

Nomura drew the character designs for Dirge. That's his involvement. You know what they were also both involved with? FF7 the original, and a whole bunch of other games.

Anyway This is a sequel, just like I thought

Remake definitely seems to hold a greater meaning to the story than simply “this is FF7 for modern consoles”. This could be terrible or it could be batshit weird, but good..

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm guessing they're gonna do the Lightning Returns thing where the whole game is actually just what happened when Holy was cast during the original game and you're all just amnesiac spirit clones making the Big Magic Thing happen by reliving your own memories

lmao

I’m weirdly leaning towards this. Or this is all somehow playing out in the Lifestream - like Aerith’s post death fever dream to get the planet to destroy Meteor.

E: or gently caress it, part two just begins with Cloud being catatonic in Mideel, with all of this just being more of his brain being broken.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 3, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

Honestly my theory is that it isn't some coma dream thing, but rather Sephiroth or even Jenova trying to change things somehow. Sephiroth seems to remember the original timeline and Cloud gets flashes of it, so maybe it's Jenova doing time manipulation to try to prevent Aerith's death or mess something else up and make sure the Planet is destroyed this time or something.

This might also be wishful thinking because nothing would annoy me more than "it was all a dream!!!" stuff. I'll take time loop poo poo over that any day.

I’d like this, and ironically it might make Aerith’s death hit even harder? Either on some subconscious level she realizes she’s “supposed” to die, or she just predestination paradoxes herself into getting shanked.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
*Nomura watches the Twin Peaks season 3 finale*

“I’ve got an idea”

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I mean, I think I get where they’re coming from. SE wants these to feel like full-fledged FF games, rather than simply chunks. And at the same time, I could see them wanting fans of the OG to relive that excitement of not knowing where this is going, or what’s going to happen next - with the newbies still getting something that’s very close to the original experience.

I do think though that events will play out mostly the same though. The big hint comes with the flash of Red 500 years in the future, and him reacting to that with “perhaps that’s the future where we failed”. Nope, that’s the future where you won.

Calling it now, Seph is doing time fuckery, and the whispers will turn out to be the forces good in the end that defend the planet once again.

E: also, from the whisper battle at the end, at least from the data leak, each one of the three had a different weapon...one with a sword, one with a gun, and one with physical attacks. :tinfoil:

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 3, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So, I think it’s Cloud and company have to remake the events of the original game, in spite of future Sephiroth trying to change the timeline.

If that’s where this is going, then...I’m in?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

PT6A posted:

Yeah I think people are forgetting how loving weird and confusing FF7 was when first released.

We’ve had over two decades to think about it and it’s still mildly bizarre. This game are sick.

I think this is why they’re doing this. We’ve had so much time to dissect the original that a 1:1 remake would be fun, but predictable.

They want to recreate that feeling of pure mindfuck for the OG fans too, even if it twists things a bit. I’m actually cool with it (if they can pull it off).

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I will laugh if it turns out all of this is just Cloud going insane again, and when we reach catatonic Cloud in Mideel, Tifa reveals the end-of-Midgar events ended with Motorball and they just went merrily on their way.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

God drat it I'm actually hyped again

Nojima-san's and Nomura-san's Wild Ride, let's go

I'm expecting this to be weird and dumb as hell but I'm excited for the dumb poo poo as much as anything else

I was excited for this. But now with the knowledge that they’re doing something batshit weird with it, I am very excited.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Honestly, I think this is also a clever way for SE to reinterpret events that they feel might not translate well from PS1 to PS4. Like, it’s canon that a dolphin propels Cloud onto the scaffolding of Junon in the original - now maybe this time around, the party finds a more straight forward method, with a cute reference to a magic dolphin somewhere as a nod.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m actually pleasantly shocked by the mostly positive reaction to the changes. Then again, the original FFVII was weird as poo poo - it’s no surprise SE would want to recreate that first-time experience for new and old fans alike.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

I've definitely come around to it, especially if speculation is right that the same overall plot beats will happen but with some new twists, turns, and weirdness along the way, maybe even with different characters filling different roles. Obviously things need to go roughly the same way as they did in the original or the Planet's doomed and I sorta doubt Square would go all-in on a no-hope bad ending for the whole thing, but it's going to be a struggle to get there as Sephiroth (or maybe Jenova? or both?) tries to change the course of events.

I agree with this. I really think almost all of the major plot beats will be there, unchanged. Just how we get to them might be switched around.

Also, I suspect they might be straight up ignoring the Compilation, and instead cherry picking what worked from it and integrating it into the main story. For example I don’t think Zack is alive. I think they wanted to keep the last big stand from CC, AND have Zack get killed by a few grunts later, even if they don’t show it this time around. That way, old players can acknowledge that the Zack plot is being hinted at earlier in the story, and new players can have a “who’s this guy?” moment and be mind blown when they find out the Cloud/Zack personality shenanigans. Why Zack saw the Midgar explosion is a total mystery to me though.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Black August posted:

She knows what she likes and doesn’t have time to waste over it

This is a woman who walks into a bar with her drinks and tip already planned from shot #1 to blacking out

Goddammit, now I want a scene of Cloud walking into a bar in Costa Del Sol to find Aerith absolutely poo poo faced and completely owning it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Smegma Princess X posted:

Nope, nothing about this looks like it sucks and you should realize that nothing matters except having fun.

Seriously. This feels brilliant. The (few) people I’ve seen having legit meltdowns over this elsewhere online...just lmao.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Gologle posted:

This is easily explained by Cait Sith being a time traveler who is trying to stop Sephiroth from changing the timeline.

I would actually be okay with this change.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I can definitely see that from a marketing perspective, though. You’re throwing this much money into a project, so you’re going to want to entice fans to keep coming back for each iteration, while also trying to make each piece seem like a complete game in itself. And yeah, there’s a subset of fans who would eat up each game if it were a 1:1 remake, but relying on that assumption is a massive risk from a corporate perspective.

This way, they can release a series of full games that keeps both old and new fans in the dark somewhat, while also giving the original team a chance to take a second stab at telling this story.

Cephas posted:

I feel like it's probably a creative decision made so that its creators wouldn't go crazy having to spend a decade of their lives perfectly recreating someone else's already finished story. Imagine how draining/maddening that would be. this gives them a way to make the project theirs again, while toeing the line by still keeping it a remake.

Basically this. But it was also mostly their story to begin with. Now they can shed the Compilation nonsense (if they want to) and start from scratch.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Blockhouse posted:

Nobody does things for the sole purpose of "trolling the fanbase".

Exactly. This was their escape from being shackled down by “canon” and gives them wiggle room to make the game they want.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Hey granddad! What did the Arbiters of Fate boss fight look like on the PS1?!”

*old nerd starts loving bleeding out of his eyes*

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

My guess is that this'll be more like the FFXIII games than Kingdom Hearts, with like 2 or so years between installments. Could be wrong on that but I think Kingdom Hearts is a... special case.

The thing that might throw a wrench into this is that the next two will almost certainly be PS5 games (or cross-platform at best) so maybe that'll cause some huge delay.

From...vague osmosis over the last few months, I got the impression the PS5 is pretty drat easy to program for, and that part two of this thing has been in production for some time. Plus they’re using a rock solid engine and have the gameplay groundwork already established. All that really means is “only” writing and asset development being left?

Maybe we won’t actually have to wait whole presidential terms between games.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

JBP posted:

This series is probably going straight through a time and space portal directly into its own rear end in a top hat before we see the end and I for one have my assholenaut helmet ready to go

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Lmao imagine getting that emotionally worked up over a video game

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

JBP posted:

Hellhouse on hard mode. I know all this thing's tricks. Should be able to *Tonberries shoot out the door*

:catstare:

loving lol this game is awesome

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Endorph posted:

yeah iunno why people think the second game's gonna be a humorless pit when 90% of this game is played as comedy

And that just makes the horrifying parts even more horrifying. That tonal whiplash catches you off guard.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I haven’t seen it brought up much in this thread, but what does everyone make of the time ghosts being future Cloud, Tifa, and Barret? The enemy descriptions for their battles mention one fights with a sword, one fights with bare fists, and the other with guns.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

If I end up liking this am I going to be the video games equivalent of one of those dudes who loves the Star Wars prequels, or are those the Advent Children super fans

This is more like Twin Peaks season 3 where everyone thought we were getting more plucky adventures of Agent Cooper and...well.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Eventually settling into “actually this is cool and good” after about 60 pages.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Aerith just comes back as a Weapon.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Or it’s Future Reeve sending Cait Siths back to the points where they were destroyed.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Of course Aeris will die. The twist will be that Tifa also dies, pushed under Aeris right as she is impaled for the double yakitori. And then Cloud will finally be free to elope with Sephiroth Barret

Ftfy

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

A Sometimes Food posted:

Why are you spoilering the original in this thread of all places lmao.

Hey dude did you know Cait Sith dies? :eyepop:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mechafunkzilla posted:

After playing around 6 hours, my biggest gripe and what really takes me out of the game is when Cloud doesn't want to gently caress even a little bit. Let Cloud gently caress, Square

“Let’s mosey” deadpans Cloud, as he plows Jessie

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I know it’s been spoiled and mentioned several times, but actually playing this...I’m absolutely convinced this is a time loop. And Cloud and maybe Aerith are somewhat aware of this subconsciously. The “flower for reunited lovers” in chapter two made it click for me.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

All I know is I haven't seen enough appreciation for the little scene when you meet the Seph clone and Cloud gets his giant dumb sword caught in the doorframe for a second.

It’s weird little details like this that make you see a lot of love was put into this.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
They go through convoluted timeline fuckery just to bring Zack back, but the rest of the game plays out as normal, just with him T-posing in the background of every scene.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I don’t know if it means anything, but I got serious Lost season 6/flash-sideways vibes a few times with Cloud having mental freakouts. Especially the one where he watches Aerith and doesn’t realize he’s crying. Add to that with Aerith acting like someone who’s “in the know”, and I’m wondering if it’s all gonna end with the cast at the Sector 5 church to “move on” together lmao

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So, the (optional) Aerith dream sequence at the beginning of Chapter 14. Did anyone else get the feeling that was her talking to Cloud after her death? On the surface, it could just seem like her mentally projecting herself to Cloud while she’s at the Shinra Building, mourning the Sector 7 victims as they return to the Lifestream. But the way she words things, how pained she looks, capped by saying how much she loved the time she spent with Cloud, it almost seemed like an apology of sorts.

And then her warning that his love for her isn’t real...she knows about Cloud’s identity crisis. And the final “if that’s what you want” in reference to him saving her at Shinra - it’s almost like she’s making sure that’s what the real Cloud wants, and not his Zack persona. It feels like she’s almost saying “I’m breaking fate, you’re free to do what you want. If you still want me, fine, but make sure it’s you that wants it”.

...or I could be reading way too far into it. It was just a really well-done scene in any case.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

CottonWolf posted:

Dirge is a disaster, but Grimoire Valentine owns as a name and you won't convince me otherwise.

What was with the mid-2000s and having the most flowery pseudo-gothic faux-Victorian aesthetic.

(I know why, but enough time has passed to look at that era objectively and it’s just...cringe.)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

DrNutt posted:

Eh, I think she'll fall a little flat for that role.

On the contrary, I think she’s positively smashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Sector 7’s about to come down. Better chill on this bench for a few and check out the vending machine conveniently near the top of this pillar.