Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wowie zowie two things I definitely wasn't expecting from this game. Whispers and Sephiroth also apparently being Vergil from the Devil May Cry series able to cut through dimensions?

That was fun, I'm glad to be done and know how the first part goes through things.

Minor things that bother Me, just me and no one else.

1) Man, they sure do make pull-ups look like herculean tasks for people who beat up robots.

2) Was hoping that Cloud's swords would be played up as very heavy and something you can't just casually carry around but nah, Leslie can casually 1-hand it. Nbd.

3) Lotta people in Midgar that can keep up with SOLDIERs but I guess having an army of Rufus Shinras would be a real problem. I can't help feel unimpressed by them watching Rude blocking them with his bare arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cavelcade posted:

It was in a bag of holding at the time.

No it wasn't.

DeathChicken posted:

It was pretty bizarre how that version of Aerith declared that she really didn't mind being with Shinra, then a couple chapters later, she's in Hojo's cage clearly trying not to freak out while he goes all "YOUR MOTHER WAS BEAUTIFUL, I KEEP HER ON MY SHELF"

Yeah, nothing would make me happier than to have a long conversation with Hojo while he's creaming himself about how he dissected my mom and didn't let a single drop of blood go to waste

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The one question that never got answered was if Cloud's dancing skills were thanks to the power of Zack Fair or if that was something he had in him the entire time.

Zack can boogie but I'm a fairweather fan who only knows about Cloud from this and Kingdom Hearts. I read an LP of the original game, I didn't even play it myself so I dunno.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BitterBlackandwhiteArrowworm-mobile.mp4

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't really remember all the events of FF7 so all I can use is big scale events.

While everyone's running from the Midgar Serpent, Roche arrives, riding his motorcycle on it and distracting it so everyone can escape.

Aerith spends a ton of your money on gloves and a bunch of healing items at some point in the game and plays it like she got scammed but secretly also bought an angel ring in case well, Sephiroth skydives blade first at her.

She also stacks haste and arise on herself before going to the Forgotten City and does this disappearing move that Cloud pulls at the end of Remake and smashes a steel chair in his face so hard it makes a mold of it in the process.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/709989381007736855/709996883870875758/Cloud_vs_Sephiroth.mp4

Sephiroth and Cloud go on a date on the Gold Saucer with the latter spending the most of it hyperventelating into a paper bag.

To differentiate between Zack and Cloud's play styles, Zack picks up a Magnet materia that bonds to his Buster sword so powerfully that not even Caius Ballad himself could remove it. So he's got a long and close range fighting style, doing some God of War poo poo with it coming back to his hand whenever he wants.

Here's the part I need correcting on though. I've only played Remake and am just hazily familiar with the original from reading Elentor's LP of it. As far as I know, Sephiroth's black wing only appeared in Advent Children right? Along with the Sephiroth kids? If that's all correct info it's funny watching people who streamed it shrugging off the latter while being completely silent about the wing that only shows up in Dissidia, Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children. :v:

God, I love how Kingdom Hearts this game is, it's so much fun to just throw out any theory you want and talk about it with people. Sephiroth is gonna be playable in the Nibelheim flashback? Boring, played out, we already know. What if Sephiroth joins the party for real though? Oh poo poo, that's rad as hell.

I super hope they pull an XCOM on this and a normal turn-based nothing's changed aside from a much needed translation overhaul and graphics update version comes out too like with The Bureau: XCOM Declassified and XCOM: Enemy Within.

edit: resized the mp4 because I can't get Tampermonkey to work and it was gigantic on firefox for me

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 13, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

First off I want to apologize for breaking the tables with that gif, I really tried to shrink it but it didn't work.

BaDandy posted:

I really like the implication that Sephiroth is treating it as a normal date. Just staring out the window at the fireworks and going :allears:

Really wanted Sephiroth to show up in Wall Market demanding Cloud give him The Sauce. It's too powerful for you Cloud. You're not ready.

Anyway, I hope Barret gets a full robot arm like Megaman in the next game so he can do rocket punches and flip cars out of the way.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I always thought he pulled the trigger with his other hand, you notice how he grasps his arms together every time he fires

It is a gattling gun so I always assumed it was a stability thing, since his movement slows to a crawl as well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Flopsy posted:

That's why I believe the remake is going to have to end with him coming to terms with the tragedy of his life and his death. Otherwise it's literally never going to end. If Sephiroth can go back in time via the lifestream he's going to pull this poo poo over and over again until he gets the result he specifically wants. In that regard he's already won and it's just taking awhile until he gets exactly what he wants. The only way I can reasonably see this end is Cloud finally getting through to him somehow and convincing him to just stop. How this is achieved I have no idea.

Nomura's gonna happen. He's gonna Nomura all over the game and in the third disc you'll be able to save Sephiroth by running away from him in one fight and getting Cloud to a karaoke bar and singing 'You've got a friend in me' to him.

One thing that this series really missed was giving bosses some sick intros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-nkGDs_OZU

Also I wish this was real, it'd be cool if the big cinematic attacks that the summons like to pull could miss. Or at least didn't steal your camera and movement controls from you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaCf-h1OYU0

And I don't know why but I totally thought the Sephiroth we beat at the end was just another clone. I know it exploded into a bunch of Whispers but for some reason I thought it turned into another clone as well.

OH right, now I remember what I wanted to ask! Does anyone have a video of party combinations during the Sephiroth fight? I got Aerith and Tifa for mine, I had no idea they could come in different orders or Barret could join instead.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 15, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So, are the Sephiroth clones holding Masamune or is that also more Jenova cells?

Wedge potentially might have survived depending on if his grapple gun broke when he was falling off the plate tower or if it just lost its grip while he was hurtling to the ground, I can't remember how that went.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dell_Zincht posted:

Isn't it implied that Wedge got blown out of a window and fell to his death?

Yeah, but I'm saying if his grapple gun broke then RIP probably. If not, he could feasibly have swung back towards the building and crashed in through another lower window.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sephiroth is such a mystery now, my god.

Why didn't he just let Fake Meteor hit us instead of fighting us himself? As far as I know, the only video game character that could feasibly destroy a meteor is Kirby so they'd be hosed even if it's different realm of reality where weapon choice doesn't matter and they just slap Cloud's iconic Buster Sword on his back so he can cut through a train instead of smashing it away with Nailbat.

And now that the Whispers are all set to 0 what's to stop him from showing up 23 steps out of Midgar and just decapitating most of us in one swing like

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Having gone through this entire thread and the flare ups of :argh:NOMURAAAAAAAAAAA:argh: every twenty pages about 60 pages in, this one was a big laffo

https://twitter.com/ChipCheezum/status/1257095013764345856

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm playing Hard Mode and I've finally got an MP absorbtion materia. What the heck do I do with this thing so I don't drain my MP, I don't cast magic most of the time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zack, Cloud, Sephiroth, Crono and Erdrick are all going to have to team up to defeat Perfect Sephiroth

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Beefstew posted:

You're assuming Square doesn't completely and totally hate the idea of every making more Chrono Trigger content.

Oh, I didn't know that. It seemed like a contained story so I can't understand why there was never a sequel or anything.

Okay, swap Crono for Ramza Beoulve instead.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm an idiot, I assume the reason it hasn't been done already is because the y'know, global pandemic shutting down offices around the world but do you think that the textures are going to get fixed? Or can they even get fixed, I know nothing about updates or patches.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

The textures are there. It's a known engine bug and likely needs to be addressed by Epic with an update patch to the engine.

Yeah I'm just wondering if that's doable now with the pandemic making everything so much more complicated.

Also I can understand people's complaints better now after thinking about the game. Before people got vocal about the plot dementors, I didn't think much would be changed aside from just, general shifting of events to flow better since the game's already been made and they can fix things up now.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 20, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It's probably a weird attempt to convert that into a name, which is why it's so odd. It's also very possible, because Japan loves pun names, that it's more than one thing at the same time because lord knows nested name puns are a big favorite.

(It's also part of S-E's weird trend around the timeframe of themed weather/geography names. Cloud/"Earth" , Squall/Laguna/Raine, Tidus/Yuna, Snow/Lightning (The first two announced for FFXIII), and of course the protagonists of Kingdom Hearts being named Sora, Riku and Kairi and then Ventus, Terra and Aqua. )

Not to mention that FF7 basically mushes like five different mythologies together which is how you can have 7th Heaven and Sephiroth in the same game as Midgar and Nibelheim

You lost me on the weather connection once you hit Yuna, Sofa, Riku and Kairi.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

After how wacky Roche was, I wonder how crazy the female SOLDIER they make up for Part 2 is going to be.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

stev posted:

Do they think the Promised Land is like... A physical place they can go to? Or some sort of metaphysical plane that only Ancients can access?

A portal that only an Ancient can open, some kind of Atlantis like spot overflowing with thousands of planets worth of Mako untapped for millenia, dormant Mako volcanos that won't erupt until an Ancient arrives, something along those lines.

Personally, I hope they never lose that hope. Even as Meteor hurtles toward the planet, they think that if they get Aerith to the Promised Land it'll activate the Cetra's Mako Transmutation Circle and it'll turn Meteor into a giant ball of Mako that they can harvest for another 80,000 years before it runs out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

I must be really dumb but where is Barret's final weapon? I assume it's not the one you buy from Hart for 10k, because I'm still missing one.

I don't know what you're missing so here's everything

• Gatling Gun - Barrett gets the Gatling Gun at the beginning of the game.
  • Light Machine Gun - Barrett is given the light machine gun at the end of Chapter 6.
  • Big Bertha - You can buy Big Bertha in Chapter 13 from the Sector 7 Slums weapons shop owner.
  • Steel Pincers - Can be purchased from the Moogle child in Chapter 14 of the game for a total of seven Moogle Medals.
  • Wrecking Ball - The Wrecking Ball is a reward for completing the Chapter 14 side quest called Subterranean Menace.
  • EKG Cannon - Can be bought from Hart in Chapter 16 for a total of 10,000 Gil.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kith posted:

Finally got around to beating this.

What the gently caress was that ending? What the gently caress was that final boss, even? Did we just kill Nomura?

Yes! But sadly now that Nomura is dead there is no one to make the rest of the Remake. Since Nomura was literally the only one making it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Namnesor posted:

I hope he appears throughout the rest of the series, in places where it's increasingly unlikely for a motorcycle to be able to navigate to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP9nIaNz3LE

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope they make they force the subtitles to be on in boss battle cutscenes and have the hold square for menu button bounce along on them so people don't miss it in part two.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Discussions on this game are fun and all but boy I wish people had gone to therapy about Kingdom Hearts so that every podcast didn't keep flaring up about it like 'This smacks of Nomura' *I wrench the table over, spiling salsa and corndogs turning the golden shiny wire of hope into a golden stream of piss*

https://twitter.com/dril/status/213849618415484929?lang=en

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Whispers being huge obtrusive elements in the game that even the most oblivious FF7 fan that hasn't played the game in 18 years and has forgotten everyone's personalities cannot possibly fail to notice existing. Had they simply gone along and just changed things outright without some new wrinkle into the game explaining why poo poo's different, the vitriol and bile would've been horrendous and stupid. This is just with the last 40 minute chapter of the game being extremely blatantly different from the norm.

Personally I wish Meteor was the final boss and then Sephiroth swoops in once you get it under half health to really name home that you're not in the real world anymore if having the entire Shinra building thrown at you wasn't enough of a hint.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Tifa dynamic theme is available for free now: https://store.playstation.com/en-ca/product/UP0082-CUSA07211_00-DYNAMICTIFATHEME

I think it was one of those butterfinger/deluxe edition rewards at first but I'm not 100% sure about it so I'm not going to say that was how it was.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope there'll be more weapons going forward.

I want Yuffie's ultimate weapon to be a/pair of Tonberry Knife/Knives

I don't remember if she used two weapons or just one.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dell_Zincht posted:

She used a range of Shuriken.

Having said that, I hope her Super Ball is in the game. The fact Cloud's Nail Bat is gives me hope!

I just meant one at a time or dual wielding them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Marmaduke! posted:

To try and get as far away from that topic as possible, I only realised on the hard playthrough that the entire housing district Jessie's parents live in got dropped when the plate fell. I wonder if they survived (depends if they got a Name or not, with all the plot armour that bestows), or if Shinra managed any sort of evacuation.

Everything happened so quickly once we found out they were going to drop the plate and then we got out of the sewers. I'd like to think that Jesse called her parents and told them what was happening and they did their best to evacuate but I only remember like 3 phones in the entire game and they were all cell phones. I don't even know if the slums have any. So they could say, 'we called people and told them what was happening and some people up top also survived- also this is Final Fantasy 7, there is no fall damage- but I have no way of knowing that for sure.

Marmaduke! posted:

Also were people disappointed that Roche never showed up again after Jessie's parents chapter? I had assumed he'd be a big part of the second bike chase, since he acts like a recurring villain but nada. Nomura subverting my expectations or did they just run out of time?

YES I AM BUT IT'S FINE.

I GUESS HE'LL JUST HAVE TO SHOW UP 30 HOURS INTO PART TWO ON AN AIRSHIP OF HIS OWN!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can't tell if I want them to go goofy with Sephiroth or keep him serious and dangerous like they've been doing.

But on the one hand, Sephiroth in a hairnet appearing in a food truck handing Cloud a burger.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The bizarreness of Hell House makes me hunger for more massive and insane mimcs in games now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZJokQ7EEUg

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Flopsy posted:

If we are so blessed as to get Sephiroth slowly rising from a trash can with masamune in hand I would literally weep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUCEVeWWLCw

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, this feels a lot like comparing Birds of Prey to the Sonic movie to me.

'There's nothing binding us to the original story now, we can do anything!'

I still doubt Sephiroth's gonna tear Barret in half and use him as a ventriloquist dummy though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/LeyfCosplay/status/1273386554099105792

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope they keeping bringing back things from the compilation. I want to see Gackt again but he's a Cactaur now.

Gacktaur

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

That whole garden talk with Aerith was really weird. Like she brings up how she isn't really being treated badly at Shinra, then a bit later we jumpcut and she's in Hojo's cell while he goes all "I KEEP YOUR MOTHER'S BONES ON MY SHELF AND TALK TO THEM EVERY DAY"

Aerith has a poor perspective on things and doesn't recognize having conversations with Hojo as the warcrime that it is.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sephiroth tries to kill Aeris again and bounces off her back. Cloud insisted on her wearing one of his swords on her back.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aerith goes to pray to the planet but instead of asking for Holy she fuses with it early and dies. Sephiroth stabs her, she falls and then gets right back up. 'Can't kill what's already dead!' And now she's immortal like Kaim from Lost Odyssey and that's a new mechanic for the rest of the game. If Aerith 'dies' in battle leave her alone long enough and she'll auto revive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xarbala posted:

Sometimes I like to imagine what the game would feel like if the time ghosts were depicted as literally anything else besides dementors.

Like moogles. Time moogles.

People would love the time ghosts if they had been cloaked Viera.