Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

Seriously. This feels brilliant.

I'm not melting down and am exactly as hype as I was when I played the demo (very hype), I just dg what's "brilliant" about it at this point; the "changing fate" stuff is pretty cliche by FF7 standards

The Hojo scene is legit funny though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
A thing I don't get about the "it would suck if it had just been a remake" mentality itt is that that seems to elide the fact that changing the gameplay significantly and expanding on or polishing up the story stuff already there is new content. Like, the reactor mission at the beginning is extremely faithful to the original, but it still feels fresh and different because it plays completely differently, the Guard Scorpion is a much more complicated and different fight, etc. They could've just done that the entire game, and it wouldn't have been boring or pointless.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

I agree that a mostly-straight up remake with some expansions and possibly a few targeted changes would probably have been great. But, well, that's not what we're getting and I'm excited, or at least very curious to see how this all plays out from here. It could still be really cool.

oh, I agree and I'm not mad, I just think a straighter remake could've also been an excellent game that wouldn't have bored fans

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Imagine hunkering down during a global pandemic where the incompetence and malice of numerous world leaders is on track to get countless people killed and the thing you’re maddest about is a questionable narrative decision in a video game.

maybe a global pandemic and the resultant economic collapse have made people, I dunno, comfort-seeking and irritable

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

I sorta hope the time ghosts don't disappear from the narrative after part 1 because I feel like that's going to be kind of awkward, especially once the whole series is done and if someone were to play it on its own without having played the original FF7. For those of us who've played the original, making the first part of the remake explicitly about breaking away from the story that we know can be pretty cool; for newcomers, it might be kind of weird to end part 1 with this "now you're free from fate" thing and then never really revisit why that matters.

I think they could disappear because you are "free from fate", but the fact that you are means we're off the map in terms of the narrative in part 2 and they'll almost definitely talk about it at some point

Square isn't subtle enough to just have Aerith live or whatever and not spend 20 minutes dwelling on why

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

If nothing else, the time ghosts and altering timelines provide a readymade excuse for any crazy DLC they want to do. Will also be a shame if we don’t get some sort of time ghost optional superboss at some point, like a new Weapon boss or something.

I mean, I'd 100% bet on Emerald and Ruby coming back

Harrow posted:

The next part's going to really increase our gameplay options, oh man. We're going to go from four playable characters to nine (adding Red XIII, Cait Sith, Yuffie, Vincent, and Cid) and I can't wait to see how they all play. Plus we'll be able to actually choose party members, presumably.

I'm not confident we'll get to Cid before the end of part 2

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Did I miss All materia, or has it just not come up yet (because obviously it's really good)? I'm in Chapter 8 working on the Sector 5 sidequests.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Calaveron posted:

Also I just realized I guess this Cloud remembers how he got skewered by sephiroth and then dumped him in the mako right?

Not to the end quite yet; why do you ask? I seem to remember him saying something about Sephiroth being dead, not "I killed you". Sephiroth being missing and/or dead has always been a plot point in the game; like he's Shinra's most famous dude, Cloud wanted to grow up to be like him. It might just be common knowledge in-world, or something SOLDIERs know at least.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Onmi posted:

Actually having recently played it, he remembers facing down Sephiroth but says he doesn't recall what happened and that by all rights he should have lost as Seph was way stronger than him.

I guess it's sort of implicit that Cloud won, even though the story is unbelievable (and everyone in the game knows it), because Cloud is alive and Sephiroth has been missing and presumed dead ever since

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not immersed enough in compilation lore to have recognized Kyrie, so I was convinced for a minute that they were introducing Yuffie in disguise in this episode

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

VagueRant posted:

And sometimes the fateghosts seem to be on Sephiroth's side, but his dialogue suggests the opposite.

This makes sense. The fate ghosts exist to ensure the sequence of events remains the same. That means Sephiroth wins a lot of victories along the way, so they intervene on his behalf to help him win those short-term victories, which make them look like his allies. But he seems to be aware of the cycle and of their purpose, which means he sees them as an enemy, because eventually his destiny is to lose at the last second.

Here's my theory, which some others have alluded to: Sephiroth/Jenova (as in the original, it's a bit unclear who's in control) are trying to change the events of the story in such a way that they ultimately win. They think the way to ensure that is for Aerith to live, because her being in communion with the Lifestream is the only reason Meteor didn't destroy the planet. Sephiroth can't just not kill her because the fate ghosts would intervene. So he wants the party to figure out a way to defy and/or kill the arbiters of fate, so that he can get what he wants. Obviously I dunno how yet - I'm not even sure S-E does right now - but I agree with the people who think Aerith is going to live this time, everyone (in and out) of game is going to temporarily celebrate, and then it's going to dawn on everyone that the real bad guys just got exactly what he wanted.

That's the thing about the arbiters of fate that's interesting: as antagonistic as this game sets them up to be, and as much as people have made them into representations of overbearing fans or w/e, preserving the original timeline isn't actually a net bad thing. The heroes win, in the original timeline. Mako reactors shut down, people survive and learn to live in better harmony with the planet, and eventually life reclaims even Midgar. And if we're going with "the arbiters are the devs' representation of fans", Aerith dying is likely to be their blind spot because people have been asking about whether there might be a way to revive her or whatever the poo poo, when her death has always been an essential part of defeating Sephiroth.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

Mostly for its larger implications, but come on, who didn’t want to beat up some Final Fantasy bosses at the end of a Final Fantasy game?

tbf, Jenova Dreamweaver was an added fight that would've absolutely counted as a FF-rear end last boss

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

guts and bolts posted:

In future installments I'd like to see how they handle it, but at least within the context of FF7R nobody speaking up about Cloud's absolutely worsening mental state makes plenty of sense and serves, for me, as a statement on how psychological issues often go ignored, untreated, trivialized, and dismissed.

There's also kind of a lot going on, apart from Cloud's mental health. It's not like real life, where his issues are being ignored or dismissed because everybody is just too wrapped up in their own poo poo and has been busy at the office. They're physically fighting for their lives on a daily basis, trying to prevent a corporation from imminently killing tens of thousands in horrific acts of false flag terrorism, and then eventually trying to prevent Sephiroth from literally destroying the entire world.

There's a whole lot at stake. Plenty of people would have a mental breakdown under those circumstances, and there isn't exactly time for talk therapy and self-care.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm astonished that Roche doesn't show up in the final bike chase

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
tbh if rufus's role changes/expands at all, I'd expect him to become a more important antagonist rather than a player character; it's plausible people other than sephiroth and the party will get a whiff of time shenanigans, and want to exploit that to their own advantage

that dude (or another of the villains, but he'd be suspect one in my book) screwing up the stuff the party and sephiroth are trying to pull more successfully this time around would be kind of an interesting turn

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
you can also understand what something is "going for" or the broad strokes of what it means and still think it is extremely confusing/weird/dumb

like final fantasy 13 is thematically coherent and I can tell you what happens in it, but that doesn't make the details good or mean they connected every dot

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

guts and bolts posted:

I kinda hope that instead of some pretty-boy final form or whatever, that if/when we get to fight Bizarro- and Safer/Savior/Saver/Whatever-Sephiroth, he looks like someone who was mid-transformation into The Thing as Jenova tries to assert control of him completely. Super body horror poo poo.

I always interpreted that as what was going on with Bizarro Sephiroth in the original, anyway. And that's what I'd expect here; a final boss transformation from body horror Sephiroth into angel Sephiroth.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm tellin' ya, the 90s are making a comeback. Everybody is gonna love Vincent, except, ironically, this forum which will lost everything else about FFVIIR-2 except him.

Vincent owns

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Sword/gun/fist is clearly a reference to the Mii Fighters in Super Smash Bros, in which Cloud was a participant

The final boss of part 2 will be Crazy Hand

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

zedprime posted:

The full answer is either going to be weirder or stupider or both and I can't wait to find out.

I dunno that there'll be a full answer. I think it's possible that we'll never really see or hear about them again; we did kill them, after all, and seemingly achieve our goal of breaking the chains of fate already.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

Well, it's "senseless" in that it isn't some grand, sappy heroic sacrifice, I think. "Senseless" probably isn't the right word. It's more that, well, she's killed by the villain like so many others are killed by him, and not because she sacrificed herself to save someone or anything like that.

She didn't necessarily realize she was doing it, but it's certainly a sound interpretation (the standard one?) of the ending that her death is what enabled her to commune with the lifestream and prevent meteor from destroying everything. "Apparent" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in "apparent senselessness".

I think there's plenty of room to debate her intentions and awareness, in the original game. It isn't totally clear what Aerith knows, has been made aware of by the lifestream, etc. A big theme in the original FF7, in fact, is that everybody - the party members, Shinra, Sephiroth - seems to be operating under incomplete/different information, and that it isn't clear a lot of the time who's privy to what. Everybody's scheming and keeping secrets, there are moles and traitors and people with secrets and conflicting allegiances on all sides.

Baku fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 27, 2020

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
An angle people don't talk about much is that like... the Planet surviving is enough, to the point that if humanity itself were extinct in 500 years (that's not how I read the ending personally, but bear with me) that's not a tragedy, it's just a transition. FF7 takes place in a spiritual universe where the existence of the soul isn't in doubt.

When people die, they rejoin the lifestream. Some amount of consciousness is retained, as evidenced by Aerith in the original. This is part of what's wrong with mako power; reactors are essentially harvesting souls to power manufacturing efficiently. Likewise, Meteor threatened the Planet and the lifestream, not just human life.

The moral calculus of this stuff is different in real life and in the game. Extinction in the game doesn't have the same implications.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Beefstew posted:

I'm interested to see how the remake handles Corel. The environmentalist narrative is somewhat problematized by the contrast between the Evil Effeminate Bourgeois Reactor Makers and the... Hardy Industrious Coal Miners...

Shinra's not effeminate apart from a cultural association between class and gender (i.e. being bougie is inherently feminine) which is something we bring to the game rather than something the game problematically teaches us. Heidegger isn't feminine, Reno and Rude aren't feminine, the endless stream of SOLDIERs and faceless Shinra military mooks aren't feminine. And I'd expect the miners not to be exclusively male in the remake, either, given the prominence of female characters like Marle and Mirielle in the slums.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

OnimaruXLR posted:

Was anyone else expecting Kyrie to be Yuffie in disguise? Having her be a spy in Midgar would have been a good fit for the way they've changed the tone of the conflict with Wutai, but mostly she was exactly as annoying as I would've expected

I'm pretty sure they're doing that on purpose, whether it's a red herring or they'll somehow have a connection. Yuffie's theme is playing on the jukebox at the train station when Johnny tells you he was robbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

I interpreted that entire scene as Cloud imagining what Aeris would say since, as it's clearly shown, she's a figment of his imagination at that point in the story.

Also, Aerith is precisely the kind of person who'd bullshit Cloud to keep him focused instead of worrying or having a nervous breakdown. She's got tough mom energy.