Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Man, I wish I had seen this thread back in April. I would have been posting in it non-stop.

I am so happy with this remaster. It's all the Nostalgia coming back, in a good way. I loved the modern version of the installation screen.

There is so much about this game that is coming back to me. It was unique in that the game taught me so much stuff, but more things were only learnt in the tips pages of gaming magazines. Like how the GDI Commando mission skipped mission 7 if you blew up the Nod Airfield.

Or how you could make Mammoth Tanks shoot anti infantry missiles if you told them to move before attacking. (This tip was key to completing one of the Covert Ops missions where you start with tons of units split across the map, and a bunch of rocket infantry will blow up two mammoth tanks because they normally just sit still and fire their cannons at the infantry.)

The trick with sandbags I learnt myself. (That you could cheese it and extend sandbags across the map to let you build structures anywhere. Or how the AI didn't use to recognize Sandbags as a target, so if you built them on bridges or across the enemy walls, you would prevent the AI from being able to attack you.)

There was also an amazing trick with silos, that I'll have to see if it works in this. (Basically when your silos got full of tibirium, if you built a new one it split the load between them. Then if you sold the old silo, the game would convert the excess silo tiberium into cash which there was no limit to how much you could have.)

Man I'm so pumped to be playing this.

Also thanks to the thread about how to unlock the Dino missions. While I knew how to do the Ant Missions, back in the day the tips for how to unlock the dino missions were unknown. The only way we knew how to do it was with a DOS prompt to start the game in a special mode. I never knew that there was a specific button code to press.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games >Command & Conquer Remastered Collection | I'm going to the one place that EA hasn't Remastered....SPACE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So I loaded up the Fun Park missions.
That opening cut scene, they really didn't clean it up at all, did they?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Finished the GDI campaign. The final mission was absolute hell (I picked Sarajevo Center) It seems once you take the first base the enemy gets a massive spike in funding and activates the nuke superweapon. Since I had to rely on mammoth tanks only (orcas were too expensive in the long run) I had to wait for the ion cannon each time for a push cause it insta kills an Obelisk.

That achievement makes me so happy. Back in the day, that's how I finished off the final GDI mission.
Now I can do it again, only be rewarded for it!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

power crystals posted:

I'm "glad" that I still have basically every GDI campaign mission (along with most of Nod's and a good chunk of covert ops) memorized from when I was like 10 years old so I was able to blast through the GDI campaign with no issues. Definitely not seeing the comments about TD being super hard, if anything it felt easier than I remembered. Remaster owns though. I just wish that opening the jukebox didn't stop playback for some insane reason, who decided that?

I'm also surprised that given how much other crap is in this that they don't have the 3rd TD demo mission, the one that was a modified GDI 10A with more tiberium and six starting mammoths, unless I missed it in there somewhere. Or was that a Mac-only thing and I'm the only person left who remembers that it even existed?

No I remember playing a demo of 3 GDI missions on the PC back in the day.

What I remember was they had a modified version of the 3rd GDI mission, but it had the SAM site in a corner of the map. Which meant I wiped out the enemy base and had to hunt down this last SAM site and never got to play around with air strikes back in the early 90's. Until I bought the full game.

Edit: Having seen the post above me, it was likely that version of Mission 10 I played on the demo, with the SAM sites in the bottom right corner I never found until after I completed the mission.

Unless I remembered it correctly but Einstien used the Chronosphere to change everything.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 6, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Nostalgamus posted:

Just reached GDI mission 4, and...

You can order a whole group of infantry into an APC now.

I decided to challenge myself by doing the mission 4 where you have to protect the village.

Took five goes, by the end I had one APC and a single Grenader left trying to kill a Light tank. But I did it.

I think the idea is “Use your APC’s to squash Nod Infantry. Don’t let the Nod tanks squash yours.” But that mission was hard.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Mordja posted:

I feel like a TS/RA2 bundle would definitely be more work, but I'd also pay $30+ for that and if they open-sourced the code for those games too, then oooooooh baby.

Well if the video of them looking for the original FMV master tapes is anything to go by, they have what looks like the Master Tapes for the RA 2 FMV's* so at least they wouldn't have to spend crazy money upscalling lovely copies of the FMV's.

* = Also going by that video they had masters for Dune 2000.
So they could throw that in with the Tib Sun/ RA 2 remaster.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Is there an illustrated guide for the Tib Dawn campaign. Think I'll play through it on hard and I'd like to know the elite strategy.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

axeil posted:

huh, so apparently the Hard difficulty mode is completely busted. A Light Tank will beat a Medium Tank 1v1 and Grenadiers/Flamethrowers will utterly destroy things because turns out instead of giving the AI more cash or faster builds they buffed every unit and weakened yours.

They really need to consider re-working this. Missions with limited units are nearly impossible because of it. Makes sense why I was having so much trouble with the later NOD limited resource missions.

Some guy made a video about it that shows it in action. The one GDI mission where you have to destroy the turrets on the opposite shore seems to be impossible to complete on Hard unless you get very lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nADjefF4l6c

Thanks for the advice and this video in particular.

I think I'll just play through the base missions on hard (Sandbags and save scumming should let me cheese it.)
I'll do the limited unit missions on normal and come back to them if there is a mod to improve the difficulty.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

axeil posted:

I found one on the Steam Workshop, but it just sets Hard difficulty to Normal. I'm trying to find/make one that turns off the unit buffs but keeps the rest.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2122025379&searchtext=difficulty

That sounds ideal. 1990's normal with questionable game design and balancing choices is like modern game designed hard.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

There is a Trophy.

Also I suppose there are people who want hard games to test their skill. But it's nonsense.

Skill presupposes that the hard mode is a balanced challenge that is tough. It isn't.
It's a set of multipliers applied to an age old game with no consideration made to any of the precise game building that had taken place.

It's the gaming equivalent of a project which has been planned and budgeted down to last dollar. Then a manager slashes the budget by 20% and tells the team to do it anyway.

I've tried downloading mod that is supposed to remove all the unit changes from Hard mode. I'll see how it runs.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I'm having fun with experimenting with some of the mods.

The one that let's you zoom in or out to many order of magnitudes more is a great one. Not only does it help give you a better birds eye view of the battlefield, if you zoom in, you can see loads of crazy details.

Like how the Recon Cycles have the driver modled and viewable. Or how the Chem Troopers wear little gas masks and gloves unlike the Flame Troopers.

I'd recommend going into the Workshop for the game and downloading them.

The mod for soldiers to fist fight also looks hillarious.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Tib Dawn was so my jam growing up. I played the hell out of the game. It had been out for a year or two when I got it on my P60 for the princely sum of £40 in the old Virgin Megastore in Dublin.
I remember splitting the cost of it with a friend of mine, each taking one of the CD’s to instal the game and we each played through the Single Player Campaign. (My brother and I got the GDI disc. He got the Nod. Then after two weeks we had finished the campaign and swapped.)
We got the Covert Ops later, but that was only £15. So I didn’t feel too bad that it was just an add-on.

When Red Alert came out, I was likewise hugely into it. I also remember going to an Internet Cafe just to be able to play LAN games against my brother. Again my friend and I split the costs. He played the Allies for the first two weeks, we played Soviets.

But it was the Add On packs for Red Alert that killed my love for the series for a while. I read all the previews for the first one (Counterstrike I think.) I saved my money, couldn’t wait to play it.

Then I get it and discovered it was just a set of random missions like the Covert Ops. But no new single player story. And that you couldn’t even use the new unitis in skirmish or multiplayer.
I was so annoyed at the time that I even wrote a letter (a physical letter) to Westwood complaining about it.
It soured my enjoyment that I never played the next add on or the Console ports.

So far I’ve just been playing Tib Dawn, but I am wondering how Red Alert will hold up on nostalgia.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Nostalgamus posted:

Oookay, just lost my freshly built war factory (NOD mission 8) to the new airstrike targeting. Don't like it.

I suppose it might have been targeting the tank I'd just built, but still. I'd like to know how to cheese the new targeting, since the rifleman at the top starting island no longer works.

If memory serves, the AI would priority target defensive structures first.

So like a Guard Tower or a Turret are higher priority targets. So build a turret in the corner of your base/map, far away from everything else.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Someone should totally do the meme picture with "Infantry goes squish."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Red Alert was definitely a huge step up when it came to more varied and interesting missions.
In so many ways Red Alert was an amazing sequel. It was the difficult second album done right.

I'm on the last GDI campaign. Currently I am playing each mission on Hard (with a mod to rebalance the units for Hard) until I complete it.

Then I activate the Godmode Mod for replaying the mission on the map variants to get those done on Hard. Because no way in Hell (March) am I going to do the last mission three times legit.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 11, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I think the confusion with the last GDI mission is from the fact that the achievement is for killing the Nod Temple with the Ion Cannon, but for the other ending it is for winning the mission with the destruction of the temple with the Ion Cannon.

People could get the achievement on Steam but not get the minorly different ending.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

MonkeyLibFront posted:

I tried this in RA, it just shifts the money in to the other silos but in TD I'm sure it takes what's actually in the silo.

It was definitely a strategy in TD. Magazines event pointed out that in the last mission Nod had a walled off section of their base that was just silos. So capture them for maximum profit.

Also top tip for the GDI campaign on Hard. In the Destroy the Bio Chem factory mission, you only have to destroy the Bio Chem factory and nothing else.
It is on the right hand side of the map, but on a plateau that you can't drive up to, but you can see it.

It also has no SAM sites anywhere near it. So if you build a bunch of Orca's, make them fly to the top right corner, spot the lab then blow it up you can complete the mission in record time.

Or you can just Ion Cannon the exact part of the map that has the Bio Lab and take it out that way.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 13, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Once you beat mission N, all versions of mission N+1 are unlocked on the mission select. Just back out to the main menu and check the mission select.

While this is normally true, it's not true on the GDI campaign.

When I played through it, I unlocked the Germany missions for GDI (both of them).
But to unlock the Ukraine Missions, I had to go back and re-do the previous mission and select Ukraine on the map.

That's the only one I noticed this bug for.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Speaking of TS, didn't the game go through some major overhauls?
Like I remember an interview where they had all these ideas like maps would have dynamic weather. (So a river might freeze mid mission and land units could cross it) or that GDI could request units be shuttled down from the Philadelphia Space Station.

That might explain why it didn't get the most robust play testing?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

I'm pretty sure you can chrono apcs with infantry loaded.

From memory you couldn't in RA1. But in RA2 you could chrono IFV with Infantry in them.

Speaking of the IFV they broke the game because they earned their level ups at their unit cost (the IFV cost 500) as opposed to the level up cost of the Infantry inside them.
So if you put Chrono Troopers inside them, you very quickly got Elite Chrono Troopers. Who could wreck armies very fast.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

axeil posted:

Thanks! Would love to see the "intended" solution to a lot of the Covert Ops missions in your LP, especially Elemental Imperative and Blindsided on the GDI side and Deceit and Eviction Notice on the NOD side.

Eviction Notice I could only manage with sandbag cheese because it was way too hard to guard all the approaches and the GDI base had what seemed like infinite troops.

Eviction Notice I'm sure was designed with Sandbag cheese in mind. Your base has walls all around it which is perfect for sealing off while letting a stealth tank out to explore.

The fact that there is a church hidden in the south of the map with a money crate is the reward for said exploring.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I went back and tried Blindsided on the Covert Ops.

That mission is some grade A bullshit. I remember that I had a guide for the missions in an old PC magazine. I remember their advice for that mission was "before you start the mission, go to options and set the game speed to slowest. Otherwise that Flame Thrower guy will kill your Commando."

I kind of want to search out those old Game Guides now. I know I have it in my attic.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Eregos posted:

Your notes on hard are helpful. I'm leery of giving my units stat penalties in RTS games, prefer more enemies. Making your units less agile reduces skill differences.I'd like to modify Hard to get rid of all the unit performance changes. AI having more/infinite money and having more units is Ok. Going back to Normal for a while until I can set that up.

edit: He talks about Grenadiers being insane, omg, they gave me so much f'ing trouble on Hard every mission. Totally had the same reaction of not remembering them being THAT ridiculous.

If you check the Workshop there is at least one mod that messes around with the difficulty setting. That's what I used.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

gary oldmans diary posted:

Red Alert led to either Red Alert 2 if the Allies won or Tiberian Dawn of the Soviets won, but the cool theories about where c&c was going before the Westwood was taken over by EA involved how Kane and maybe also Yuri possibly time-traveled back to initiate the events of Red Alert and Red Alert 2 in the first place in a way where causality paradoxically loops through both of the different timelines.
I'm goin with the classic interpretation of that sprite over the remaster enhancement. :colbert:

Also as a kid I was convinced that what you saw on the map was a crashed alien ship.

It never occurred to me that it was an Orca, until the remaster.

But then it raised further questions. Like they are all over the map on the GDI mission where you use the Orca for the first time.
But the map is already littered with crashed hover fighters. Is this where all the test ones crashed?
How lethal is this craft?
Is this why we never see Morello again?

I also loved that someone made a mod to change the Sprite for the remake into really looking like a crashed space craft.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

hambeet posted:

This shot? I remember it from some magazine.

Spawn more 8-Bit Overlords!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So I got to the last mission of the Allied Campaign in RA. (BTW I'm so grateful that I don't have to do all the add on missions in hard to get the Achievement. I'll be doing all of them on Casual once I have the Soviet campaign finished on Hard.)

Man with the changes from Hard mode the start of the mission is next to impossible.
Basically you spawn in Tanya and 2 Thieves. You are surrounded by explosive barrels.

Almost immediately a single soviet trooper runs up, shoots the barrels and you die.

Under the old difficulty you could shoot the trooper before he got to the barrels. But with the changes to units on hard, you can reach him to shoot him before he gets where he needs to go to shoot the barrels.

The only way to survive is to put the game on slowest speed and immediately run to the south (counter intuitively towards another grouping of explosive barrels) because those barrels don't explode when the northern ones blow up. Took me ten tries to figure out that you couldn't shoot the trooper before he gets to you.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Mordja posted:

Am I wrong or is TD stealth tank just kinda not worth it, at least against the AI. It doesn't do the sheer burst damage that TS/C&C3's does and seems to get detected almost at random. I feel better served just reverting to light and flame tanks.

The only use I had was sending packs of them after the enemy Harvesters. Then as soon as enemies showed up I would move to stealth tanks so they'd re-stealth and the enemy would leave.

Of course doing this, would make a large pack of enemy tanks drive towards your base. So you had best have a few Obilisks built.
And some SAM sites.
And the Power plants to back them up.

And for all the same resources you could have bought like 20-30 Light Tanks.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Vakal posted:

For some reason I always thought the Red Alert spy would shut down the enemy power grid if you got them into a power plant, but I guess that wasn't a thing until RA2.

It really does limit their usefulness.

If you get them into Sub Pens you get a Sonar Pulse that can locate enemy subs. Sometimes.
It doesn't always work.

Or you can get them inside an enemy air field and you get a free airstrike.
Sometimes.
It doesn't always work.

You can also have them infiltrate a number of buildings like the Tech Centre or Battle Centre which often does nothing, but wastes your spy.

At least in RA2 they made them a lot clearer what they did.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What mordja said is right: RA hard mode was unchanged from the original. It wasn't a new addition like for Tib Dawn. Running south was always the "correct" strategy.

I went back and checked.

If you try mission 14 on Normal, you can absolutely gun down the soldiers with Tanya before they can fire. It's tough and you have to turn the game speed down to slowest just to be able to react fast enough, but on Normal you can definitely kill them.
I tried it again on Hard and you absolutely can't. Even if you can get Tanya in a position to shoot the soldier before he blows up the barrel (and that's a big if) I don't think she can kill him before he can get off the shot that blows up the barrels.

I put it down to the speed the units move at and the damage they take/deal differences between Normal and Hard.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

nimby posted:

When I played the final Allied mission I just moved Tanya south out of explosive barrel range.

Yeah, on Hard mode the only way to survive the first five seconds of the mission is to run south (which is like super counter intuitive.)
On Normal or Casual, you can run south, or you can shoot the Soviets around them and then continue on with the mission.

When I played Red Alert back in the early 90's, I just shot the soldiers. It was only playing it this Remastered on Hard that I had to eventually figure out that you had to run south.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Funnily in the remastered version it is quite possible.
The second part of the mission (the indoors part) is treated like a different mission. And you can select it from the mission select screen.

If you do it that way you are given a full hour to complete it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

What I learned from playing the remake is the best use for the Mine Layer in Single Playernwas stopping the enemy landing their landing craft.

Since they always would land at the same one or two locations after you learned them you could preemptively mine them.

But if you put the mines at the shore line, then the space would be occupied and the AI wouldn't be able to off load it's units.
Their ships would sit there and you could blow them up.

I've only done this in the Allied Campaign, but I'd say it would also work with the Soviet anti Infantry mines too.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Escape Goat posted:

The best pathfinding/logic is when you ask artillery or V2 launchers to attack static defence and they just casually roll up right in front of it and get obliterated.

No the best Pathfinding/logic is on Subs.

I tried Soviet Mission 5, built a large pack of subs to take out the Allied ships.

I would send the su s to attack and watch as half of them would not move at all, half would go up to the enemy boats in clumps so the depth charges would hit multiple subs at the same time.
And in the piece de Resistance, one Sub would swim up point blank to the enemy boat so that it would block some of the torpedoes from hitting the boat.

The only way I won was due to weight of numbers.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

obese retard posted:

It's almost useless. About the only thing that keeps it from being completely useless is using it to teleport a cruiser into a small, enclosed body of water close to your enemies base. Considering that the Chronosphere can only teleport one unit at a time and that it will not allow you to teleport an APC with infantry in it means that you can only really use it to try and creatively troll your opponents with it. So yeah, it's basically useless outside of the one idea I mentioned earlier. Also as Mordja mentioned, the fact that it has a chance to spawn a negative effect that has a high chance to destroy your base/army makes it not really worth it.

Edit: So I got curious and looked up the Chronosphere on a wiki and I just learned that in Aftermath they added a second negative Chronosphere effect called Time Quake. Both the Chrono Vortex and Time Quake have a 20% chance of happening when you used the Chronosphere.

https://cnc.gamepedia.com/Time_Quake

Don't tell me you never used the Chronosphere to teleport an enemy harvester into your own base?

Do it twice and it's paid for itself.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

That happens to me all the time.

Like whenever I go into the Mods section of the game, the list of mods goes blank every few seconds. If I try and switch on another mod, there is a good chance all of them get switched off. So if I want to put on mods I have to click them as fast as possible and hit Apply Mods before it goes blank.

I'd love to know why it does that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Nostalgamus posted:

Oh, right. I've never actually finished Legacy of Tesla before.

How are you supposed to deal with 2 nukes per minute? Just try to win the map before they start sending the plane at you?

So if you go to the left of the map there is a small Allied base next to the coast.

If you can capture that you can capture their Naval Yard and you have access to the water.

I found if you built a sub pen or another Naval yard just south of the Naval Yard that was there, you would have structures that were far enough away from your new base that if they were nuked wouldn't hit the rest of your base.

Now the Nuke is only enough to damage but not destroy a Naval Base/Sub Pen.

So as long as you kept repairing it they would just keep attacking that structure over and over again.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Do NOT attack or capture the Naval Yard under any circumstances while the enemy MiG exists else you'll activate it and have 30 minutes of misery in your hands. Leaving the Naval Yard alone (for now) ensures that the MiG will stay put until you invade the island housing it. By all means destroy/capture everything else in the small West base first then clear the waters with some Submarines and concentrate on pushing toward the South base for more resources. Capturing the Airfield is recommended, but also a bit of a bastard, since the MiG can and will bomb anything right next to it without a care in the world (which is an outcome I've received more than once -- it nukes my tanks and the Airfield disintegrates in the process, then the MiG fucks off outside the map for good leaving me with a stack of useless Engineers).

I don't know if advancing too far South does anything to activate the endless nuclear strikes, because all this stuff is something I (somehow) worked out back when I was 11 or 12 and had all the patience in the world. I've never looked at this map in RAED or any other map editor so I might be missing a few things, but generally speaking the Naval Yard is a no-go; just leave it alone until the MiG is yours/doesn't exist :v:

I just activated it and let it focus on that Naval Yard, while I rolled all the Tesla Tanks/Heavy Tanks south into the Allied main base. But your millage may vary.

I also came across a Mod (called Aircraft Super Power or something) that had a aircraft called the Valkyrie which was the Mig, but dropped Nukes.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

To go against the grain, my main memory of Tiberium Sun was being disappointed in it.
Like I was waiting for that game ever since the first C&C game ended with that FMV showing a suit of powered armour with a laser.

Then Tiberium Sun just lacked that charm of the original. Like it was a global conflict, but now that the world was a wasteland it doesn't really matter where you go.
The units just didn't have personalty. Like the Commando Unit in the first game was an adrenaline junkie Rambo type. Tanya in Red Alert was this cackling mad woman. The Commando in this (Ghosttalker) just sounded like he had a cold and was stuffed up.

I also remember all the crazy stuff they promised would happen in TS that got cut for time.

Funnily nough everything I wanted TS to be, I got with Red Alert 2. That game and C&C 3 are the C&C games I am smashing for!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Bumhead posted:

Is there a belief/enough smoke that a TS/RA2 remaster is back on the table now? I was kinda under the impression that the community had given up on it.

I'm playing Tib Sun at the minute and having a superb time. Great game. I was originally going to jump straight into RA2 after this but I might hit the pause on that if there's even a moderate belief we might be seeing another remaster collection soon.

Good question.
Last page people posted some details, but EA recently released a while bunch of their back catalogue on Steam including the old C&C games.

Then, separately, some EA people started referring to the Remaster as "the first C&C Remaster."

https://www.pcgamesn.com/command-and-conquer/new-remastered-collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Lt. Danger posted:

so iconic that it showed up again in C&C4

And as an Easter Egg in C&C 3.

But I still think it was very silly.