Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So that this doesn't continue to poo poo up the CE thread, argue here about whether voting for Biden is worthwhile. I personally will almost surely vote for him, but I will not campaign or fight for him because I don't believe anything will be fundamentally different (because he's gonna lose).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I'm pissed we have to stare down the barrel of this for another 6 months.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I really hope the biden ticket does something to motivate people, because all I can see right now is a red sweep in november.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm going to vote for biden because I understand our two party system. I'm going to make sure everyone I personally know votes because it's important, and I loving hope there are some people worthwhile elsewhere on the ballot I can recommend.

With that said, I do not care for Joe Biden, and I cannot fight for him. I can't argue for him, because I cannot fight for a rapist piece of poo poo. I will not volunteer with the democratic party as I have the past four years because they no longer represent me. I don't genuinely believe that they will win in the fall. The party does not support me and is beholden to the exact same handful of billionaires that are running the republican party.

Good luck calling people selfish assholes for not wanting to support a rapist racist piece of poo poo, though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TCD posted:

I'd still say its worth it to try at the local level. The tea party just didn't hit the national stage at the first crack. In my home town, we had a movement very similar to the tea party start to hit the county seats WAYYY before I heard about the official tea party.

If you want to move the big DNC with progressive candidates - get them at the local and state level. They have a much more direct impact on schools, roads, public transit, rent control, etc. I get the big Bernie ideas aren't going to happen and that sucks (I've never voted for Biden in a primary), but please continue that push to get the right people for down ticket races.

My local situation is unchangeable. Gerrymandering at the federal level has me in a progressive's district as I live in a black part of town so I'm tallied up with Jacksonville instead of people down the street from me. The other federal district (and more populous portion) is either chuds or centrist democrats. It is not possible to get progressive persons elected locally despite a lot of effort because the voting base, even if technically democratic, is extremely conservative. I really just need to get out of north florida because I cannot change how people are here.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I wonder if we have even a single pro trump gipper? We’ve got our conservatives, but none have any support or love for trump and most have said they didn’t vote for him. (I’m inclined to believe them.)

My family admits to voting for him, but I don’t think I’ve met a goon in the wild that voted trump and will admit it. Then again I read GiP and a handful of carefully curated bookmarked threads from other sub forums. So I don’t really have my finger on SA’s pulse or anything.

We used to have a loud one but he hosed off in late 2016 early 2017 and just posts in gbs, c-spam, and tfr now, iirc.

e: vikingskull iirc

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Best Friends posted:

You're allowed to like Biden anywhere, but if you dislike Biden or mention literally anything about his actual policy history you can only post it here, it's the rules

Don't be dense. This situation is exactly like copchat used to be. You cannot have a worthwhile current events thread when 90% of it is a handful of people yelling at each other about biden sucking. This is the thread for bitching about him.

I don't want to vote for biden. I don't like him as a candidate or as a person. I think he's been on the wrong side of history over and over again, and I think he will do nothing to actually move the country in a progressive fashion. Biden does nothing to stave off the inevitable collapse of America.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Knives Amilli posted:

No doubt the DNC likes to back the safe Dem but LOL at Rural Kentucky ever supporting A Black democratic senator.

At some point we gotta face that a good portion of this country (even Democratic voters) doesnt want progressives . At least not yet. It cant be all the DNCs fault.

Nah. They do. A lot of the new voters in South Carolina, for example, were brought to the polls by bernie and bernie's policies. They voted for biden because they got blasted for the 4-5 days leading to the primary that he was the only one who would be able to beat trump, and that mattered more.

The majority of the population wants medicare for all. The majority of the population wants gun control and police accountability.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Biden doesn't want to change the border policy because it is almost the exact same border policy that Trump took over from them. Obama was locking kids in cages, too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Obama wasn't separating families or making it impossible to apply for asylum, this is an extremely bad take

Obama absolutely separated families, although not at the same scale as Trump. Obama had very similar deterrence approaches and such as well.

I'm not saying they're equal. I'm saying that Trump merely expanded or took extant programs to the extreme.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My boss and I are both left types although he is a bit more conservative than me. He wanted Klob. We're both quite disappointed in this.

I don't have any motivation to support this ticket. I know a lot of people are going to yell at me for this, but I really do not want to vote for Biden/Harris. I don't think they do anything to fix this country and are going to do nothing to stop it from sliding further into gilded age 2.0. I want off this ride.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PeterCat posted:

It really bums me out that she will be the front runner in 2024 if Biden wins this year.

She will probably be president by 2023 if Biden wins. The IF is doing a lot of heavy lifting. I think this choice depresses further Biden's already abysmal voter motivation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dorstein posted:

If you want to cheer yourself up, go look up who the first and second-most liberal senators as ranked by DW-NOMINATE are.

Here, I'll help: https://voteview.com/congress/senate

Booker, Warren, and Harris to the left of Bernia? :thunk:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Doc Hawkins posted:

unironically, Reagan is more liberal than Marx :shrug:

Marx understood that an armed proletariat is the only way for the workers to take control. Reagan wanted to disarm blacks specifically. He didn't give two shits about white guys with guns.

Gun control is sensible, but it isn't a pure left/right thing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Liquid Communism posted:

So now I'm starting to wonder if the Dems want to win at all.

They spent last week telling off the leftists and turning to the center to try and draw in moderates and never-Trump Republicans, even backing off on cutting fossil fuel subsidies.

Then on the last night of the convention they talk up how Joe wrote the AWB and brought up the only issue that will alienate the center and right faster than abortion as a policy plank.

If it makes you feel any better, it literally does not matter who wins we will all be subject to the devastation of climate change and it is too late to reverse what's happening. Greenland's ice is melting faster than can be replaced with snowfall. Once that fully melts ocean levels are going to be around 20 feet higher than they are now. Fires are raging in Siberia at levels that we didn't expect until 2050, and we're going to have a blue ocean event (full arctic ice melt) within the next few years. We get to watch billions die over our lifetime regardless of whether Trump or Biden wins in the fall.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Grip it and rip it posted:

Can't imagine there will be any difference in how these eventualities will be handled based on who we elect. None at all.

I agree that Biden will be better than Trump on climate, but we're talking about moving the devastation a year or two back not reversing it. We're through the looking glass already.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I wonder if people had voted for Bernie if politicians would have responded or continued to try to ratfuck him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My vote has been received and counted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fister Roboto posted:

https://twitter.com/hollyotterbein/status/1321190162123137024

I literally just got back from dropping off my ballot with Biden marked, so it's good to see Joe doing his best to make me regret that.

That's the message old people in america want to hear, though.