Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

nocturama posted:

agreed. Hes painful to listen to. Is australia ready for the wong

I thought senators couldn't be prime minister (with the one exception being that senator who was named PM after Harold Holt went missing and went on to win the by-election in Holts seat).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

The Before Times posted:

The problem is, under the law the notice simply doesn't count as notice. If you stop paying rent for any reason other than financial hardship due to covid-19 you can still be put on the tenant blacklist.

Hang on so if I were in Victoria and my situation changed (e.g. got a great new job 5 hours away meaning I have to move, or I suddenly had to take custody of my nephew and needed to find a bigger place, or I normally live overseas/in a regional area and are heading home in a month's time), I wouldn't be able to give notice to vacate? Coz that's what it sounds like and it's hosed.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

The Victorian Liberals all have terminal sky news after dark brainworms and it's honestly pretty funny to watch

What do you mean by that? (I have neither watched Sky News after dark nor do I live in Victoria)

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

They are suffering massive relevance deprivation syndrome and have decided to go with culture war hot takes as a result.

Theyre all going completely off their nut because the deputy CHO compared coronavirus to captain cook, some of their most prominent (relative) MPs now whinging on twitter about why the premier wont address “the biggest issue of the day”.

They got resoundingly rejected at the last election because they went with an empty law and order campaign against a premier who got things done, and they appear to have learnt nothing from it.

Ahh, got it. You'd think they learn.

In other news - I just got a call from the Red Cross Blood Service. Due to supply issues that may or may not have been caused by the current public health crisis, they had to cancel my plasma donation on the weekend because they've run out of a chemical that stops blood from clotting. They were asking donors to consider donating whole blood instead (maybe they have some way of collecting the plasma out of it after? Or maybe it's better than nothing?).

Really recommend healthy people roll up their sleeves and donate, especially since the whole social distancing thing means they've had to reduce the number of people they can bring in.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

One of my parents was a WA teacher for a long time and the distinct impression I got from their stories was that schools/departments were often run like fiefdoms, and if you wanted one of the more desirable positions/locations you'd have to wait until someone dies.

I mean, good for all the folks able to secure a stable position, but it means there's schools out there with a substantial old guard, which means few real opportunities for new teachers to secure permanent positions without moving to the middle of nowhere.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

Nah, she was the chief driver behind the Change the Rules campaign, which hoovered up millions in member dues and achieved basically nothing because compared to what Cliev spent it might as well have been 50c and an expired condom.

To be fair, we all got caught up in it, but it's the same trap unions have been falling into since the end of the 1980s, where you get all of the already active members hype as gently caress and spamming their own social groups, or these days, social media (which everyone outside of their own echo chamber already has on mute) and everyone high 5s each other, while nobody outside gives a gently caress, because you're not having the right conversations with the right people. It was a big ole feelgood jamboree, but nobody who wasn't already voting Labor was convinced.

Hindsight being 2020, the better approach would have been to take that money and those resources and put it towards deep organising techniques that have been working really effectively in the US, which is what my branch did after the initial shock of being so goddamn wrong about the impact of what we were doing on election outcome. The idea is that instead of having morning tea with the same rusted on union mascots once a month, who show up to every meeting but haven't actually recruited a colleague since 1993, you identify the people who are already organic leaders in the workplace, and figure out what issues they consider important, offer to work with them on that - but point out that you're not going to be able to organise a decent action unless the majority of people in that area sign on. Within a few weeks suddenly they've recruited most of their office, and are running a collective action with barely any union staff or officer resources. Repeat that across a university, or a large company, and suddenly you don't just have good density - you have the people who actually keep the lights on working for you. And you don't have to have a huge team of recruiters or paid organisers on the ground going office to office endlessly to do it.

Yeah I found something similar in the Greens. Like it was nice keeping in touch with other supporters, but the real value was in finding the people who weren't extremely opposed to you, but weren't that supportive either, working out what they cared about and talking to that.

A lot of people didn't get that we weren't really looking for supporters unless they were actually going to put themselves out there and volunteer, we were trying to find undecided people and leave a good enough impression they vote for us on election day.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Oh same, but a more accurate thing to say would be “this thread only likes defamation as a weapon against people they don’t like”

Or only when used to protect a discriminated against class like women, aboriginal people, etc

I’m okay with either of those being used to describe my views on it :shrug:

if the ends aren’t what you think justifies the means you’re just circle jerking about process

While I think there should be some redress for people knowingly making untrue statements in a public sphere, the current system offers no official intermediate step between "do nothing" and "sue the guy". Surely there should be some facility to force the people involved to try to resolve problems before they become embroiled in the court system?

My parents lived in a town where a guys life was made miserable because someone who didn't like him spread rumours that he was a paedophile. He tried to get the person spreading the rumour to stop and when they played dumb, his choices (besides moving) were to accept that a large chunk of the community were excluding him and his family/vandalizing his house for something that wasn't true, or sue the person who started this rumour for defamation to try and get rid of this reputation that was now following him around.

So he spent a small fortune suing them, it became a huge spectacle, and the situation had gotten so far out of hand he felt like he had to follow the process through to the end rather than settling it quietly out of court.

Thing is, this story could have ended very differently if the other guy had more resources to fight it in court - a lawyer could delay and stall and appeal until the other side runs out of cash to fight it. If the verdict is largely a product of how much money both of the parties have to fight this in court, the system needs to change.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

hooman posted:

Negative gearing is in the vast majority of cases used on existing stock. I wish I could find the really good rundowns we found when the negative gearing debate was in full force. It doesn't help property prices and it doesn't help rental prices, it's wealth transfer to people who can afford to buy multiple houses.

Yeah I'm fine with negative gearing on new properties, but right now rich people use it to speculate on land values in inner and middle ring suburbs of various state capital cities.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Scylo posted:

Get a bicycle and enjoy the non-existent cycling infrastructure!
There's been an explosion of cycling. Bike stores have run out of some bikes or can't get some models in because of a surge in demand.

I had to stop by work this morning and on the ride in I saw the council is building a dedicated cycle path along my usual route to work. I participated in the consultation for it about two years ago and it's looking like they didn't bother listening to me at all - they'll be building a cycle path parallel to a walking path that goes around two steep inclines, while the cycle path does not. There's plenty of cyclists who'll continue using the walking path because it's flatter and easier than riding up two small hills.

The government could stimulate the economy while promoting social distancing and easing congestion by fast-tracking bike network development. But whenever they ask for "shovel-ready" projects $100 million road projects get the priority over $10 million bike networks despite the the latter having a far great benefit than the former.

froglet fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 15, 2020

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

One tactic the union is undertaking is holding a division wide ballot in each state, rather than allowing individual branches to hold their own votes. This avoids the SALTies using their preferred tactic of calling meeting after meeting until the rank and file members stop coming, and they can pass a motion when they have the numbers.

This is really smart, seeing as some of the RMIT committee were boasting that they had a majority branch vote against the JPF at a meeting of 400 members. Sounds like a lot, until you consider that the branch has 1500 members. Passing a divisive motion at a branch meeting and passing that off as representative is really fuckin dodgy.

(If non-nteu goons are sick of this poo poo I'll stop posting about it; it just seems like there 6 or 7 NTEU goons in here and it's a pretty hosed up situation we find ourselves in)

Hey I am really enjoying unionchat. Also Mr Froglet is a member and maybe it means I understand when he tries to talk to me about it.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I think you would be surprised at how many "rich boomer" are pretty much rich only in the massive and sweetly located house they live in.

One of the goals of reforms such as land tax is specifically to get boomers to downsize as they get older and prevent them sitting in a $1 million house that could house a growing family and yet still require a pension to survive. The intent is that the assets would be sold and proceeds used to fund their old age in place of the pension for as long as possible. This would increase housing affordability and reduce the pension bill.

A pleasant side effect of this would also be retirees suddenly being in a situation where it makes sense to support the development of smaller/denser/more appropriate housing in their neighbourhoods.

Right now, their opposition to development in their suburb is effectively an opposition to anyone younger or poorer than them moving in, while also locking out individuals in their own cohort who want to downsize.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

You know they’ll all end up in some lovely over 50s village complaining about the youth of today and giving each other syphilis

Hate to break it to you but a lot of suburbs are now 50s retirement villages.

teacup posted:

And as predicted by several in this thread the libs are talking about IR reform.

This is the one thing that did end Howard’s reign, will it happen again!?

They have power for what, another 2 years at least? They have the numbers to put the changes through, I doubt Labor will put up much of a fight, and the worst affected will be too busy working multiple casual jobs to campaign for change when the next election rolls around.

I mean, I'm obviously still going to chip away and do my bit, and so will a lot of people, but it's loving infuriating seeing this come from a mile off while everyone around you goes "welp, what can ya do?".

froglet fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 26, 2020

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Buttcoin purse posted:

Whoa better declare a war on drugs to stop this from happening. Like air some TV ads with black and white footage of someone "at the coffee shop and they're wearing just a pair of pants and a bra and they're crying and laughing out the front sitting on a chair", that'll definitely scare the kids off doing drugs.

This is just how I live my life, okay? Super rude of them to assume I'm on drugs. :colbert:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Apparently there's people out there who want to bring back unpasteurised milk.

This whole thing is so unbelievably stupid and I'm angry about it.

Pasteurised milk is safe milk. There's a risk of the milk containing pathogens before it's even left the fuckin cow, why would anyone want to roll the dice?

Edit: Also it's sold as "bath milk". Who the hell wants to wash themselves with something potentially riddled with e. coli and who knows what other nasty bacteria? If you want to act like royalty, buy a fuckin coat from some fancy designer, not bathe in fuckin milk and catch something doctors only normally see in medical textbooks. And definitely don't drink it.

froglet fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 9, 2020

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Tomberforce posted:

Unpasteurised milk is fine providing you drink it basically straight out of the cow. It doesn't keep at all.

Yeah if you live on the farm odds are it'll be fine. The moment machinery, storage and transport is introduced the risk goes up exponentially.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Laserface posted:

in some good-ish news, the Brumbys are being trapped and removed from Kosziousko national Park and taken to the knackery.

It is sad for the horses, but it has to be done.

You get some people who have romantic ideas about brumbies, but, realistically, they are pests that destroy the environment. I've yet to hear anyone given a viable alternative to catching and killing them.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Buttcoin purse posted:

I understand, I don't want my hair to get messed up, but I also don't want brain damage, so I should probably log off think helmets are probably good, what's the big deal?

Helmet laws are used by the cops as an excuse to harrass aboriginal people and folks low on the socioeconomic spectrum.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

As someone who cycles to work almost every day and moderates a bike commuters social media group (both of these things clearly mean I'm a bike authority :rolleye:)...

Handling risk is a field all of its own. People write scholarly articles about it and the hierarchy of importance people generally adopt is as follows:

Elimination (remove the hazard)
Substitution (replace the hazard)
Engineering controls (isolate people from the hazard)
Administrative controls (change the way people do something)
Personal protective equipment (protect the individual with PPE)

When you apply this risk mitigation hierarchy to cycling by itself (e.g. riding a bike in a driveway or back yard), you'd probably come to the conclusion that PPE is the only reasonable risk mitigation measure since nobody is going to stop their kid from learning to ride a bike.

However, when you apply this risk mitigation strategy to bike commuting, there's new risks which are pretty much exclusively posed by cars, so the hierarchy would look more like this:

Elimination - ban (most) cars
Substitution - replace all cars in urban areas with golf carts/buggies limited to 20kmph
Engineering controls - create continuous, separated bike paths, install chicanes to reduce driver speed
Administrative controls - reduce speed limits in residential areas/popular bike routes, make drivers do some sort of cyclist awareness course as a part of licencing, only allow driving at certain times of the day
Personal protective equipment - cyclists wear helmets and high vis, bikes to have front and rear lights at night

Cyclists rightfully point out that despite the huge risk cars pose to society in general, nobody seems particularly keen to handle it head-on. Instead the people in power legislate the stuff that is far less effective then set the cops on people with bikes, people who couldn't possibly cause the same level of damage as a car.

So yeah, of course cyclists are salty about it, especially when active transport (that's public servant-speak for walking and cycling infrastructure) is given a tiny slice of the funding pie in comparison to cars despite so many car journeys being so short a significant proportion of them could be replaced by walking, bike or public transport.

froglet fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 17, 2020

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Xerxes17 posted:

I'll bite on this. To me this is more of an expression of working-class alienation.

The messaging and experience of most people these days is that what you do doesn't matter and that you are subject to tidal waves of force beyond your station. Went into the car manufacturing sector a decade ago? Tough poo poo, subsidies ended, entire sector goes belly up. You or some friends attended the biggest rallies in the national history on <topic>? Tough poo poo, the people in power are going to ignore you and do the exact opposite. The intentional structuring of the economy means that it is mathematically impossible for many people to get work? Tough poo poo, get on welfare that is all about punishing you. Your community spends wads of cash on solar? lol the new coal mine is going to wipe out that gain hundreds of times over.

However suddenly you're told the way you conduct your personal life, the way you see your friends, your romantic partners, go to work and etc does in fact matter and has a widespread societal impact? That's a tough break from precedence.

I'm not excusing it, but I think it's more than simple idiocy.

Yeah I largely agree with this - the political class have spent so long kicking the less well off in the teeth that of course they're responding with "welp, what can ya do".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Aesculus posted:

Actual content: Have the Greens kicked out their rapists/bicycle libs yet? Going by the last thing I heard from them (PWW the investment banker for deputy :laffo:) I'm guessing not.

Never heard "bicycle libs" before, I almost like it better than "tree tories".

I believe here in WA there's a process for booting rapists, though I don't know much about it.

I will say tree tories are a difficult subject in the greens, and that it's entirely possible for a tree tory to effectively wield the Greens own policies against them to further a neoliberal agenda.