Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

thespaceinvader posted:

I have yet to see a single shielding person who has not said 'gently caress this I'm continuing to stay at home' if they're able, but a lot will not be able, especially as the food package programme is stopping too, or so I understand.

I'm shielding and staying put, but I think we're still getting food parcels for now. We're only going to be allowed out to meet one person on Monday, so it still rules out shopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zhar
May 3, 2019

Jose posted:

yeah 5 eyes has been pedos from the start lol

I've always wondered if gchq & co vet candidates for such materials before they're allowed a job interview so they have leverage down the line

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Oh dear me posted:

I'm shielding and staying put, but I think we're still getting food parcels for now. We're only going to be allowed out to meet one person on Monday, so it still rules out shopping.

Aye the food parcels are staying for now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the absolute state of liberals

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1267135696810258434?s=20

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
more people saying that perhaps the government is moving too fast

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/31/health-officials-make-last-minute-plea-to-stop-lockdown-easing-happy-monday

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Cerv posted:

probably wise. or it looks like he's trying to control the party from the backbenches.

If the antisemitism investigation is being used as the reason to block Karie Murphy then it can also be used to block anyone else on his wing of the party that he might choose to nominate, so maybe he just didn't see the point.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/billybragg/status/1267187726509539333?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

yeah 5 eyes has been pedos from the start lol
More like lol eyes.

zhar posted:

I've always wondered if gchq & co vet candidates for such materials before they're allowed a job interview so they have leverage down the line
Given that they're one of the few groups allowed to possess and view CAI, allegedly for the purposes of investigation, part of me suspects that protecting influential nonces is the whole point.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

hahahahaha

https://twitter.com/YourAnonCentral/status/1266983431029702659?s=20

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
ooof

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1267207813580967937

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am curious how trump getting all hot and bothered about antifa is going to affect liberals. They're gonna tie themselves in knots trying to both sides it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

The follow up is awful too.

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1267135915933274112?s=19

Completely stupid. Lacking even a casual X files fan understanding of history and his job is to understand politics.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

In fun US/Nazis history, I was reading earlier about the Apollo postal covers scandal, where a pair of German 'stamp collectors' persuaded the astronauts on Apollo 15 to sneak 400 envelopes into space and frank them there, with the plan to keep them secret for a number of years then sell them. The Germans immediately reneged on the deal and started selling them, and the astronauts were banned from future space missions. What most of the articles on the subject don't mention, but German wikipedia has two citations for, is that the German stamp collector with suspiciously close access to NASA astronauts was (huge shock incoming) literally a Nazi who was leader of a local Nazi group from the early 30s until the end of the war.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gonzo McFee posted:

The follow up is awful too.

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1267135915933274112?s=19

Completely stupid. Lacking even a casual X files fan understanding of history and his job is to understand politics.

Jesus loving christ the replies make me weep for humanity.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

josh04 posted:

In fun US/Nazis history, I was reading earlier about the Apollo postal covers scandal, where a pair of German 'stamp collectors' persuaded the astronauts on Apollo 15 to sneak 400 envelopes into space and frank them there, with the plan to keep them secret for a number of years then sell them. The Germans immediately reneged on the deal and started selling them, and the astronauts were banned from future space missions. What most of the articles on the subject don't mention, but German wikipedia has two citations for, is that the German stamp collector with suspiciously close access to NASA astronauts was (huge shock incoming) literally a Nazi who was leader of a local Nazi group from the early 30s until the end of the war.

You'd know all this if you watched Ancient Aliens or Forbidden History :D (joking!)

It's always a bit of a shock to me to realize how many Nazi scientists were taken to the US and had their Nazi activities wiped clean especially Werner Von Braun who was closely tied up with NASA.

I know it was probably very difficult to say no to the Nazi regime without risking your life, but I do remember at uni in the late 70s/early 80s while some of us (STEM) were saying we should be mindful as to the potential use of physics etc discoveries (to the extent that quite a few of us were being filmed by plod at CND rallies etc - permanently stuffing our career choices!), other classmates had the view that science was 'pure' and it wasn't up to scientists what politicians might do with their work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Replace wizards with engineers I guess.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Trin Tragula posted:

Ego, impunity, and recklessness. A lot of US policing culture encourages officers to have wildly inflated egos about "don't disrespect the badge" and "we've got to maintain our authority", where the definition of "disrespect" ends up being "doing anything other than saying yes sir no sir three bags full sir", and "authority" means being able to force people to say "yes sir no sir three bags full sir" on (literally) pain of death.

Combine that with baked-in system flaws that discourage accountability and encourage circling the wagons when someone notices what's going on, and you get to a lot of officers with these inflated, fragile egos that can't stand being challenged in the slightest, and who think it's completely fine to splat people on the ground for talking back and then hold them in painful positions to punish them for their "disrespect", and aren't worried about seeing any kind of consequences for their actions.

This is also the quality that leads to one of the officers saying a few different variants of "shouldn't we move him off his front?", and the guy on his neck going "nope", and the matter just ending there. That particular wrinkle reminds me of nothing so much as the rash of planes falling out of the sky in the 1970s that led to the widespread adoption of pilots being trained to use Crew Resource Management; before then, the captain of a flight was God and usually had an ego to match.

A Good Post

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Trin Tragula posted:

That particular wrinkle reminds me of nothing so much as the rash of planes falling out of the sky in the 1970s that led to the widespread adoption of pilots being trained to use Crew Resource Management; before then, the captain of a flight was God and usually had an ego to match.

I saw a documentary on this once, it was a particularly difficult problem in South Korea which had a rash of air disasters. There was one particular one and they played the cockpit recordings and the co-pilot was doing his best within the bounds of cultural deference to a alert his superior (the pilot) to impending disaster but didn't actually dare to come right out with it.

Re US/Cops

Seems a lot of cops now are joining the protestors or 'taking the knee' and so on from what I'm seeing circulating on Facebook.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

josh04 posted:

They got essentially fired from NASA for taking a few too many stamp-addressed-envelopes to the moon, and for what they would receive against their salary, I would have done the same thing

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1267209302076465152?s=19

Oh well.

Also taking Nazi scientists is like the least awful thing the Americans did to help the Nazis before and after WW2.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Btw, here is a thread pretty showing a lot of examples of what many cops are up to during the current unrest in the US:
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1266751520055459847

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Re US/Cops

Seems a lot of cops now are joining the protestors or 'taking the knee' and so on from what I'm seeing circulating on Facebook.
The more the better but the standard is closer to see above.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Munin posted:

Btw, here is a thread pretty showing a lot of examples of what many cops are up to during the current unrest in the US:
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1266751520055459847

Thanks.

Surprisingly this guy is apparently a republican (though I know google makes mistakes sometimes and might have confused people of the same name).

Ed:

(I had to google Chud because I didn't know what that meant).

https://twitter.com/ambientGillian/status/1267227428595863552?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 31, 2020

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I saw a documentary on this once, it was a particularly difficult problem in South Korea which had a rash of air disasters. There was one particular one and they played the cockpit recordings and the co-pilot was doing his best within the bounds of cultural deference to a alert his superior (the pilot) to impending disaster but didn't actually dare to come right out with it.

Re US/Cops

Eventually it will have to be how systemic racism is tackled. Finding and punishing the cops caught committing racist acts does nothing (apart from, you know, justice) but neither do the "good ones" achieve anything either.

The whole system needs, if not dismantling, complete reform including firing all those at the top, de-funding/de-militarisation, a proper training programme (US police training is about 16 weeks, compared to two years in the UK) and radical change of approach away from "broken windows policing" and towards community engagement.

Will it happen before the US descends into a huge bloody civil war? Hmm. At the very least these protests have exposed how violent the police are willing to be towards "unacceptable" targets like young white women, even when being filmed. That might sway a few opinions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Will it carry over to other countries, I wonder?

The reform or the civil war I guess.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thanks.

Surprisingly this guy is apparently a republican (though I know google makes mistakes sometimes and might have confused people of the same name).

Ed:

(I had to google Chud because I didn't know what that meant).

https://twitter.com/ambientGillian/status/1267227428595863552?s=20

Yeah, he is a Libertarian flavor Republican who's long term exposure to the criminal justice system has reinforced the anti-authoritarian libertarian side.

I wouldn't in any way vouch for his political opinions in general but he is solid when it comes to abuses of the US justice system.

[edit] oh, he removed Republican from his bio and now has "conservative". Nevertheless same general comment applies.

Munin fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 1, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Werner von Braun is scrub-tier as 'Americans hiring Nazis' stories go. Now, Klaus Barbie, that was the real wild poo poo. Literally used CIA money to set up the Fourth Reich in Bolivia.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

They got essentially fired from NASA for taking a few too many stamp-addressed-envelopes to the moon, and for what they would receive against their salary, I would have done the same thing

Yeah, I mean it's a comically petty scheme to involve actually visiting the moon for, it's more just the inevitable involvement of an actual nazi who immediately hosed it.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/DeRushaJ/status/1267231480943710213
Already reports of a truck trying to drive at speed through crowds of protesters in Minneapolis. Luckily doesn't look like anyone hurt, except possibly the driver who was dragged out of the cab.

I'm detecting a pattern here - peaceful protest "turns violent" when someone shows up who either acts violently towards or recklessly threatens the lives of the protesters. This truck driver, machete-wielding guy, Racist Hawkeye, or usually just the police. Then the footage of the rear end in a top hat getting the poo poo kicked out of them by the crowd they just tried to murder goes all over right-wing news, with the attempted murder part neatly clipped out.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1267209302076465152?s=19

Oh well.

Also taking Nazi scientists is like the least awful thing the Americans did to help the Nazis before and after WW2.

This seems to indicate that the Tories lost ground simply because people are unhappy with the lockdown, rather than the thousands of unnecessary deaths.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Survivor bias does have that effect, the people most dissatisfied by the killing aren't going to be filling out voting intention surveys any time soon.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/DeRushaJ/status/1267231480943710213
Already reports of a truck trying to drive at speed through crowds of protesters in Minneapolis. Luckily doesn't look like anyone hurt, except possibly the driver who was dragged out of the cab.

I'm detecting a pattern here - peaceful protest "turns violent" when someone shows up who either acts violently towards or recklessly threatens the lives of the protesters. This truck driver, machete-wielding guy, Racist Hawkeye, or usually just the police. Then the footage of the rear end in a top hat getting the poo poo kicked out of them by the crowd they just tried to murder goes all over right-wing news, with the attempted murder part neatly clipped out.

Multiple states tried to make this explicitly legal after the first round of trump protests at his inauguration

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

Eventually it will have to be how systemic racism is tackled. Finding and punishing the cops caught committing racist acts does nothing (apart from, you know, justice) but neither do the "good ones" achieve anything either.

The whole system needs, if not dismantling, complete reform including firing all those at the top, de-funding/de-militarisation, a proper training programme (US police training is about 16 weeks, compared to two years in the UK) and radical change of approach away from "broken windows policing" and towards community engagement.

Will it happen before the US descends into a huge bloody civil war? Hmm. At the very least these protests have exposed how violent the police are willing to be towards "unacceptable" targets like young white women, even when being filmed. That might sway a few opinions.

I think empowering the "good ones", and ensuring the "bad ones" suffer consequences, would go a lot further than you think. Of course I absolutely agree we with your other points, but ultimately the problems come because bad people are allowed to act with impunity.

A solidly-enforced disciplinary and judicial process would have a massive mutliplier effect once the convictions started rolling in because you're removing that impunity. I'm sure - just as after Countryman and the other big anti-corruption sweeps of the 70s and 80s - you'd see a lot of coppers suddenly deciding coppering isn't for them any more for entirely unrelated reasons, and we can all wave them goodbye.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Survivor bias does have that effect, the people most dissatisfied by the killing aren't going to be filling out voting intention surveys any time soon.

Lol I said this at the start, the boomers who survive are going to be even more loving insufferable. "See, i survived it, everyone else needs to just get on with it and stop whinging".

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

stev posted:

This seems to indicate that the Tories lost ground simply because people are unhappy with the lockdown, rather than the thousands of unnecessary deaths.

I get the feeling there's a lot of "ah well can't be helped" about the virus but the nasty goblin breaking the rules really upset them. For about a week.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

stev posted:

Doesn't this just represent the voting intention of people who bother to respond to polls? I might be wrong but I thought these things always skewed old. Which means Tory. Those fuckers aren't ever going to stop voting Tory.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
jesus gently caress, "Happy Monday". If only the virus had a weakness against patronising naffness then we'd be at zero cases by Friday

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Communist Thoughts posted:

a croby government woulda been lovely but he was stupid enough to believe himself accountable and would still have taken over a government machine incapable of making masks let alone reshaping society

Do you think that we as a nation are genuinely incapable of making masks? Or ventilators? Or gowns, faceshields, gloves? Or even if we lack the industrial base to make them ourselves, do you think we could have maybe sourced some?

Do you believe that the Tories were genuinely trying as hard as they could? Or do you think that maybe they were using this as an excuse to not spend any money and simply siphon off government funds to their donors and mates, like they do with literally everything?

Do you think maybe that with some actual political will, better things might be possible?

If you truly believe that the "government machine" is incapable of doing any of this stuff, with the right direction, then you've fallen into the Tory trap of believing that nothing better is possible and they are trying their best.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Loosening lockdown restrictions will prob be popular for oh about 2 weeks

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Doesn't this just represent the voting intention of people who bother to respond to polls? I might be wrong but I thought these things always skewed old. Which means Tory. Those fuckers aren't ever going to stop voting Tory.

YouGov does the weighted panel adjustment in its 'regular' figures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Guava you're slipping