Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skyl3lazer posted:

Save the Pire was the one that I enjoyed the most.

I've been calling it Slay This Pyre.

It's not as good as STS, but it's improved over beta and may improve further. I think, though, that you can usually tell if a run will win before you reach Daedalus and often as early as the first floor. You need to get that good start towards a broken combo. The last half of the run then becomes seeing how silly you can make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DrManiac posted:

I know why they did it but I hate the variet units. The way it’s implemented just hurts card identity.

The what?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

gredgie posted:

Do none of you get put off by how glaringly they've ripped off Hearthstone's UI styling?

Like sure enough, there's no doubt countless games have designs in them inspired from other games, but when a deckbuilding game almost verbatim copies the UI styling of one of the most popular deckbuilding games... that's a bit on the nose, isn't it?

Literally every deck building game going back to Magic the Gathering in 1993 has a picture at the top, a text frame at the bottom and the cost of the card in one corner. It's how you make cards readable in the hand without having to separate them individually.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Walh Hara posted:

My main problem with Hellhorned (and stygian) is that they have no good way to tank or mitigate damage. Some units have decent starting health/armor, but lategame that's never enough and you need some sort of heal/lifesteal/revive/damage shield/stealth/quick if you want to keep your big unit alive and healthy until the boss shows up. The armor spells don't scale and are generally not that strong. Your best bet is getting an endless imp but that uses up an unit slot, a card draw and 1 energy every single turn. Stygian kan try to mitigate by first killing things with spells and the armor on incant unit can help a little bit.

Of course, you can always get a solution for this from your second clan, but it's certainly still a drawback.

Getting Endless on the armour imp (aka The Devil's Dustbin) along with a sacrifice spell solves a pot of problems, especially if said spell is Imp-portant Work so you don't lose the draw. Putting the guy who gains 5 armour at Resolve on the top floor is pretty good too if you get him early, he will have a ton of armour by the time the boss arrives.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Coucho Marx posted:

then hit the copy 5 cavern event, the first time I've actually used the copy five choice!

The gently caress? That option is literally the single most broken thing in the game. Unless you get it in the first two circles before you have a properly upgraded spell, it may as well just take you straight to the victory screen. It's been raised with the devs, and they just said "we know, but it's fun so we're leaving it".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zore posted:

I still think the dumbest win I've had so far was my only Hellhorned primary win where I did the duplicate 5 on the armor granting Imp after I got a copy of that Imp that replicates every other on entrance effect when its summoned.

It let me pump up a stupid amount of armor.

Transcendimp is just silly, period. Imagine getting it with a couple of Hollows and the Awoken spell that swaps attack and HP. You can one-shot bosses with the little fucker.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The most luck I've had with the Umbra champion is his Gorge abilities and maybe adding Trample in. He can scale absurdly fast.

Not fast enough, evidently. I'm trying that on C4 and getting loving annihilated by Fel every time. And it's not just me - streamer Baalorlord is up to C13 and has never won with Umbra as his main clan. The people bigging it up as busted had best start explaining what they're doing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

gently caress the stealth boss. No further comment.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ragnar34 posted:

The dupe-5 thing keeps ruining my run and I don't care because I love it. If they want to nerf it, which they shouldn't, what they could do is x5 dupe a random non-starting card in your deck and make them all cost -1, or maybe make it so upgrading one of them upgrades all of them.

It's the most broken event in the game and if you've upgraded sensibly it pretty much instantly wins the game for you. I first got it on a Glimmer with two +10s on it and smashed everything, and that's not even close to the best poo poo you can pull off.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

secret volcano lair posted:

it's usually ok but there are some downsides if you get excessive with it.

the stings lower your chance of drawing a good minion on turn one, which can be important

As I understand it, and I haven't observed to the contrary yet, you will always draw your champion and a unit on turn 1. I believe the priority for the unit is Clan over Ally, and you will only draw a Train Steward if you have no other units.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Has anyone got any tips for the "10 cards or less" achievement?

Get a broken spell with Holdover and just enough fatties, purge everything else. Also do it at C0 so you don't have the five extra cards in your deck.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Does this count? :toot:

Yeah, Sentient is good at eating people all by himself. Even better with the regen/spikes buff and anything that multiplies Spike damage. I won once with Spiky Boy 3, two of the guy that adds 1 to spikes, and a Holdover/+10 Rest Det. The only drawback is if something gets past his floor, you need something to stop it reaching the Pyre.

Also I forgot that you don't need Holdover much outside the early game as you draw your spell every turn anyway, so just buff it to the hilt if you have five spells or less.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Draw and discard 1 is great regardless of whether or not you have offering cards. It just sends it over the top once you do get them.

Nah. Prepared in Slay the Spire was never good, although the upgraded version can be. Here, it's only useful with Offerings.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Marketing New Brain posted:

The biggest issue I have is the disparity in power level between factions and heroes. I'm currently climbing up the covenant ranks playing random/random, but I could easily cruise through the last 10 or so levels by just going Melting/Umbra or Melting/Whatever. Umbra had an awful hero and desperately needed that buff, but they have possibly the best supporting card pool, especially the synergy with incant.

Certain faction units could really use a redesign. The 1/1 for 1 with endless that draws a card feels pointless, but if it cost 2 and drew 2 cards, I might actually have a use for it.

The entire Remnant clan needs a redesign. It's the best primary Clan, but by a long way the worst Allied Clan because so many of its cards lean hard into something no other clan has, wants or needs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

President Ark posted:

how on earth

e: is that 24 stacks of spell weakness

That doesn't seem so absurd. My personal record for damage with one spell is 5400, but I've managed 400 without Spell Weakness before so 10,000 is possible in the right deck.

I just got my new fastest win, in just over 33 minutes, on the back of the artifact that summons four units on the middle floor and duping a Quick Multistriking Consumer of Crowns.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

jimmydalad posted:

I'd like to add to my previous post that the Stealth dude is awful if you can't deal with his stealth early on but while it is a degree of awful, I still have to put Multistrike 4 and Sweep with Lifesteal ahead in terms of "oh gently caress, this is gonna suck".

The Stealth, Trample and Revenge bosses are all there to gently caress up specific comps, and if you have built one of them then your run ends. The problem with the two bosses you name is that you have to build one of those comps to beat them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Avasculous posted:

The more I play this game, the more it seems like the key to victory is abusing the upgrade system (not a criticism).

It is, because that's the least random aspect of deckbuilding. You get few chances to add spells, even fewer to add units, but the upgrades are all fairly constant.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lozareth posted:

Today's daily got a little ridiculous with all the multistrike tomes you could have in your deck, summoning 1-cost creatures to set their cost to 0 thanks to an artifact, and the burnout champ. I didn't really need anything but the champ for almost the entire run.

I didn't pick up the Tome, but I'm sitting just outside top 100 and I got the Cramped Train achievement. If I'd used the same strategy as #1, though, I'd have got the 50k in a daily achievement and all the achievements for killing bosses before they enter the train.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

Sweep lifesteal boss is a huge pain the rear end and kills just about any remnant run that I've reached it with. Oh you have a ridiculously stacked floor of reformed units with stupidly buffed attack and hp? Cool, cool, let me just hit everyone and restore to full health every turn. But come after him with a spell focused deck and he's barely a speedbump. Balance is just all over the place. It's not that I mind having bosses that test your deck comp, but there's a difference between 'tough to beat with this deck type' and 'gg if you picked this starting clan'.

Name me one boss that isn't a speedbump to a spell deck. As long as you can clear out the units, even the 1200-health Revenge guy will melt to a few stacks of Spell Weakness or a big Frostbite stack. The problem in this game is not that the balance is all over the place; there just isn't any balance at all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Monster Train is the Marvel vs Capcom to Slay the Spire's Tekken. StS, like Tekken, is well-balanced and rewards paced, careful play. MvC, on the other hand, has ridiculous hundred-hit combo spectacles, and some parts of it are just blatantly and gloriously broken. MT's buffed things that are bad, but I doubt anything is going to get nerfed any time soon. That's just not the kind of game it is, and that's not bad, it's just a different kind of game.

Edit: Personally, I prefer Monster Train because I like the shorter runs, and the opportunities for things to absolutely blow up. When I lose, I still try to figure out what I did wrong, but I don't feel nearly as bad dying to some random midboss in MT as I do in StS. Playing StS, I know my failure is a result of a hundred small bad decisions, unlike in MT, where it was more likely one or two big mistakes and some bad luck.

I just lost a C11 run that should have won because all four of my removal spells were in the bottom 10 cards of 28 and the people who designed this game think multiple Shadewings are fair. I could perhaps have won it anyway if I'd been able to build a second big floor, but I was never offered any units that could survive 44 points of up front damage. It's an RNG game that makes big flashy combos and pushes the BOOM button.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

So fun fact I just learned about the relic that reduces spell cost? It doesn't care how much you spent on the spell. If you Offering away a three cost spell? it will reduce everything lower than it to 0. Same as if you play an expensive spell and have it discounted by the Stygian Champion.

It also works on X-spells; play one and anything costing less than your current energy is reduced to 0.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

So I get there is a hidden rule about draw order in this game but I've never seen anyone describe it clearly. Specifically it sounds like the game designates "priority units" (ones you drafted? upgraded?) and you're guaranteed to draw at least one a turn (?) until they're all gone

Does anyone know exactly how this works

Each turn your first draw will be a Clan unit that isn't an Imp, unless you have no such units remaining in your deck. The exception is turn 1, when your first draw is your Champion and your unit is the second draw.

I believe this only happens on the first trip through your deck. If you cycle fully, the second time round your draws will be random. This is, incidentally, why Channelsong and especially Prism Retrieval are not good cards - by the time you draw them, there's good odds that you won't have a good unit left to draw.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Huh. Ok. Also sounds like it makes Consumer of Crowns worse than you'd expect, given the imp restriction

Not quite, because you will draw Imps as part of the other cards in your hand. But generally speaking you should never take Consumer unless you have Volatile Gauge or Unbroken Horn already. Same goes for Shadowsiege.

quote:

The game is clearly balanced around this feature existing, but I don't think it should be hidden from the player the way it is

You're labouring under a misapprehension that anything in this game is balanced.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DNK posted:

Endless on that Voitivary card that pseudo-reforms a unit with +40 attack is kinda cool. Not game-breaking, but Good.

That's Formless Child. Votivary is already Endless and draws you a card when it dies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Uninstalled and hid the game last night after a series of bad runs culminated in a Cov 11 that was basically lost in the first fight. It was an outlier - bad random cards, all four Stewards in the bottom five cards and Stygian main - but it highlighted just how few meaningful decisions there are in this game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Carecat posted:

The couple of times I've played Melting I didn't take the burnout champion, can he be reformed?

Yes, he can.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Loss edits get weirder by the day.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

If I purge a card does it still turn gold if I win the run?

I have the get 30 gold per energy and purge card and probably don't need to cash it in but I need it to turn gold.

They do not. It's only cards in your deck at the end of the run.

However, if you don't use that card in the current fight or the next one, you'll get an artifact which changes "Purge" to "Consume" on all your cards.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

blizzardvizard posted:

:toot:

Don't think I'll bother with full gold collection though, especially since I don't have golden bone dog yet.

Just master all the cards on Covenant 1 if it ever bothers you.

I was watching a streamer play the other week; he got offered Bone Dog and took 10G instead. He now knows exactly what proportion of his viewers are lurkers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

I believe Jedit is thinking of another event, one where you get to choose between three different purge cards. The gold-themed one doesn’t earn you the flower.

Yes, I'm thinking of the other Historian event. Sorry.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gravy Jones posted:

I guess it's more like Act 4 of StS, but with more ways you can win.

That's a very good way to put it. Sometimes you can get dickslammed in Act 4 no matter how good your deck is, sometimes it's a breeze. But I don't want to play Act 4 all the way through the game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chump blocking is a term that has been used by Magic players to describe a suicide block you're making just to stop something going face for well over 20 years, if that helps.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Not that I've seen, I assumed it couldnt for the longest time because there are situations (the statues, bosses and so on) where the move effect just fails, so I assumed that moving someone to a full floor would also fail, until I tried it and it didnt (IIRC it was a copy of that "move down and heal for 10) that I assumed, as the lower floor was full, it would heal without moving).

Bosses can be moved if they have not yet entered the train. Once they're in the train, they lock any floor below them so they can't be descended - they're effectively always on the bottom floor. They can still be ascended, though, so watch out.

The other situations where you can't move a unit are those where it's Rooted. Fel's statues are permanently Rooted, and there's a couple of spells and artifacts that apply it as well. Again, pay attention; I've seen people throw runs by trying to descend a rooted enemy unit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lozareth posted:

I've lost track of the number of days spent grinding this out but they're finally all gold. :suicide: Now to work on getting a cov 25 on all variations.

Game died, but you're still grinding yellow men.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Microcline posted:

I feel like I'm missing something obvious but is there a way to see how many waves are left in a fight?

No, but it's always the same number on each level. I know it's four on ring 1, 8 in Daedalus and 10 on the other boss fights, but the rest I forget.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

Also StS has all of 1 card that costs more than 3 energy with a really strong effect. Monster train has at least 3. And Volatile Gauge isn't a boss relic, so it's not competing with +1 energy a turn.

Which one of Meteor Strike and Omniscience did you forget?

The main reason why Gauge isn't quite Snecko Eye is that average costs in Monster Train are lower. Most things only cost 1.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

That is an extremely good point, and I'm much more in favor of this now. A single enemy type should not be what's basically an end-runner for an entire faction.

Yes, instead there should be enemies like Crystalcloak that are run enders for entire strategies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

I gotta ask, Jedit, what do you get out of reading this thread? You’ve made it very clear that you’re burnt out on the game. Why keep spending mental energy on it?

I've stayed subbed to the thread because I enjoyed the core gameplay loop and was hoping a future balance patch might fix the problems that were frustrating me at the time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Color Printer posted:

Someone explain to me how the railspikes are intended to be used because I'm an idiot

I think you're talking about the ones that upgrade either a spell or a unit greatly but give it Purge? I nearly always took the unit upgrade and used it to get a free purge on a Steward, if I had one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ranzear posted:

Meanwhile Onehorn's Tome is dumpster tier now. That nerf would make sense if it was 3 energy, tops.

What was the nerf? I thought it went from 5 to 6 cost.