Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Discovered this series after the anime premier and have spent the past few days catching up on the whole series. (and reading people here's reactions to it too). Let me just say some of the parts that people say drag too much like the exam arc work much better when you can read it all at once. Also since Viz is I guess compiling the next volume or something you can't read the official translation and I had to switch to fansubs for part of the Macht arc and goddamn it's some whiplash since in the official translation they call Weise (and all the other surrounding places that have turned to gold) "The Golden Land" so when you switch to fansubs all of a sudden they're calling him Macht of El Dorado and I almost did a spit take because of how goofy it sounds.

Squidster posted:

I think Frieren's idyllic dream is going to include a lot of grimoires, which Mr. Demon is going to struggle to provide.

Since demons (aside from Solitar and Macht) generally only study one kind of magic all the grimoires are gonna be just his own hypnosis spell over and over

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Huh, was the exam arc not popular? I dug it but then I usually dig tournies.

I don't know about the fandom as a whole but I was just basing it off reading through people here's reactions by chapter and at least in the first stage aside from when Denken was about to throw hands there was a lot of "ugh end this and get back to random adventures" gripes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
e: nm

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 6, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

How many years ago was that in total? If I am not mistaken, Tod should soon meet her deadline. :v:

From the timeline of Himmel's death, it's 84 years between the time Tod calls her shot and the "present" that Frieren's going back to. So yeah, it's about to get real real, real soon. But 16 more years is plenty of time to fish out a "un-curse the sun" spell from some chest that definitely isn't a mimic.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 6, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I think you're assuming that Himmel's 10 year journey was basically over after that point. We know that they did countless postgame quests on the journey back, so maybe it's a few years less than this.

On the other hand, if I had to pick any story were a 100 year apocalypse timer gets dropped, but it actually gets resolved a decade earlier, it would be this one. It would be a fun reversal if Frieren falls into a hectic panic as she finds out there's only 10 years left.
It's her equivalent of cutting the red cable of the time bomb to defuse it just as it hits 2 seconds.

No, it's pretty exact. It's chapter 107 when Frieren time jumps. It starts with saying it's 31 years post-Himmel death, then when the big reveal happens that she time traveled at the end of the chapter, a box pops up saying it's 53 years pre-Himmel death. Also in that chapter when she's talking to Fern and Stark, she said she lost about a week's worth of memory. So unless there's another big reveal coming up that shows that Frieren McFly'd it up and changed the future, it's 84 years (also the gang sure packed a hell of a lot of adventuring into that week's time)

I do like that now after this arc we know that back in chapter 1 when Frieren takes off to do her montage, Himmel and the boys took off to make sure the time loop is stabilized and we never see it.

e: oh, I misread your post. Now I get it. It would be funny if Frieren casually remembers killing Tod later and is like "oh yeah, she was talking about how she almost had us all when she was turning to ash. Weird..."

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 6, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

chiasaur11 posted:

Freiren admits some demons are sincerely trying to understand people for the purposes of coexistence and that it's hypothetically possible for one to succeed... it's just that, even if they did, the cost would be unacceptable.

There's room to grant them a little credit while still (sensibly) killing every single one in sight.

Yeah, apparently the Demon King wished for coexistence... then killed 2/3rds of humanity along the way anyway. Most demons just want to kill and the few exceptions are still just too dangerous. They're just too fundamentally alien to us.

If you see a bear coming at you in the woods, you can certainly hope that it'll come give you a hug, you may even have read online or seen a youtube video that it's possible to get a hug from a bear, but the much safer options are to get the gently caress away or get out your gun mage staff. That is a poor analogy (I chose bears because I would in fact like to hug a bear), but there isn't really an animal in the real world that behaves like the demons in this story...

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 7, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GloomMouse posted:

AI chat bot is clearly wrong yeah. They have never acted like beep boop robots, and the early stuff is (I think) there to clearly establish that at the very least the demons aren't just misunderstood humans with horns on which is a popular "twist". Still, even that early we see that Frieren has changed her mind and was "wrong" about interpersonal relationships. Also (and correct me if I'm wrong) she never says they are wild beasts, just that they developed human speech as a predatory tool and so thinking there's a 1:1 human mind using it will likely get you killed. She even told Aura to just leave (even though she's clearly p sure Aura won't). So like a "peace treaty" or neutral zone or something may very well be possible, but step one is to actually recognize who and what you're dealing with.

She does straight up compare them to wild beasts back in the first chapter with demons

and here's her elaborating to Stark and Fern later (minus the flashback story)

Now later she kind of seems to soften up on them, specifically referring to Macht as being different from a "cruel demon" and even saying that she respects him for trying to make coexistence happen... before bringing up the example of the Demon King and basically saying that even his attempts to coexist cost lives. Now whether you want to take that as evidence of Frieren herself having a more nuanced stance, or character growth, or the author deciding to roll things back a little, is your own call.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also I seem to remember that she got that attitude from Flamme and is pretty much quoting her there

Well demons did destroy her childhood village so it's not like she needed help cultivating that attitude. Flamme also says demons took everything from her as well, even though we don't know exactly what that means.

Demons hosed around with the wrong couple of ladies a long time ago and have been finding out for a millennia

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

To be fair, the demon king probably just wanted to prevent persons like Frieren and Flamme from rising up and being a problem. There was probably a prophecy or something like that. So in essence, all this suffering is Frieren's fault.
Like the story in the bible where Jesus caused the death of countless children.

I heard a theory that makes a good bit of sense that since magic is a skill you can hone over time, and elves basically have infinite time to train that skill, they are basically by default the number one threat to demons. I mean, there's still a lot we don't know about the magic system in the comic, so like maybe that's not a hard truth, but still, elves' lifespans are almost certainly what put the whole species in the crosshairs.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Is #4 Macht? I think it's the first time I've seen him in color, so it's kind of throwing me.

Anyway, proud to see my boy Hero of the South getting some respect on his name title and Mimics (rightfully) being near the top.

e: lol reading some of the responses to the tweet and a bunch have the scene of Aura about to decapitate herself with the caption "I lost to Mimic?"

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 11, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think what makes Aura stick in people's minds (besides the horny vote) is because she's tied to a really cool moment. Like the Solitar fight was cool, but it was... well, just a basic fight. Comparatively, the moment where Aura brags about training for 500 years only for Frieren to activate her trap card and go "I've been training over a millennium, gotcha", tell Aura to off herself, then coldly walk away cause cool guys girls don't look at explosions decapitations still sticks in my mind vividly as one of the coolest parts (action-wise) in the whole comic.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 11, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RuBisCO posted:

I liked the Solitar fight because it had Orbital Laser Fern :colbert:

Very fair :hai:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was half expecting that when Fern started talking about the lack of monsters in the area that they'd do a big reveal where we find out that whatever future knowledge Grausam got from Frieren let the demons change the timeline and like, Solitar would be lurking in the trees or some poo poo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like his experience with Future Frieren basically confirms two things for him - that she ends up feeling the same way at some point in the future, but that they never get together. Wonder if there was some element of self-fulfilling prophecy there, where Himmel never said anything because he felt it wasn't supposed to happen based off of Future Frieren.

Future Frieren was pretty careful to not reveal very much about the future aside from stuff that was forced out like "yes I can fly now" and "I'm from far enough ahead that Himmel and Heiter are dead" so I don't feel like there would be very much risk to the timeline after "current" Frieren came back to their group. That said, yeah I don't know how Himmel would have taken it all. Man I hope he didn't screw himself over in that way, because the story of the boy in love with the elf who just didn't get it is already tragic enough without the added element of him self-sabotaging to keep a time loop stable.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

At the end of the series someone's going to explain to Frieren what the words "I love you" mean, and then she's going to have a brief flashback to like, twenty different times Himmel's said it and just be like "Oh, so that's what he meant."

Even if she didn't in the ring chapter/flashback, I think now that she's seen Himmel's Black Mercy dream world is marrying her she probably gets it.

Anyway while I also doubt that the Heaven thing is real, much like Heiter and Kraft, I believe it would be nice if it did happen. As long as they can't come back, getting to talk again with her comrades (unencumbered by the pressure of withholding details so the timeline doesn't get destroyed) would be good.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 15, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GloomMouse posted:

Hope it's tiny old man Himmel

Frieren's going to find her most useful useless grimoire right in time, the "make ghosts sexy again" spell

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Somewhere along the line I must have missed one of those color illustrations that happens every so often, because the latest preview for the anime upcoming arc showed some of the mage exam characters and I was a little surprised. In particular I had always seen Ubel in my mind as all black w/ black hair and everything but when she now pops up with green hair my mind can't handle it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Demon King showing his PowerPoint:

"Look, there are less of us than there are of you so if we just kill off a few thousand more, coexistence is totally possible"

Cut to hero party facepalming

"You guys can totally hang out here for a while, just don't try to stop me or anything"

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 28, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

iirc old village protector dwarf, booze enthusiast dwarf, and bridge dwarf aside from Eizen, versus just Serie and squats monk aside from Frieren

There was also booze creator elf, which puts it at a tie.

e: drat i gotta remember to finish scrolling down before getting eager to all "UM ACKSHUALLY" someone.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 29, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Oh man I don't ever think I thought about that. Most of the grimoires she's gotten are like large books, and I don't think we see any of them in her suitcase.

I hope there is fanart of her getting a grimoire, learning it, and then eating it afterwards.

Maybe she can store them in that pocket dimension where her staff goes

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LostRook posted:

The test arc begins with it repeatedly being stated that there are fewer mages than during the time of the war against the demon king. It's not explicit but the part with Flamme's will that everyone learn magic, which Serie immediately tears up because she wants magic to be for the specials only is a clear throughline with the ideology the first class mages espouse and Serie coming to power 50 years prior.

I thought the implication was there less mages than during the war because, well, demons killed them and the number has yet to rebound. Or that since it's a time of peace, nobody's bothering to learn stuff like offensive magic, the way that there are more people joining the army during a war.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CodfishCartographer posted:

If I remember, one or two of them pass the second phase of the test, but then fail the "talk to Serie" phase of the test. Don't think we've seen them since then?

Yeah Lawine (ice girl) flunked round 2, Kanne (water) got laughed out of the room by Serie. Well, rejected for being scared of Serie's mana.

And then there was the aforementioned flashback that Eepies mentioned.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

A good question is "why did they think they could pass?" Is it not common knowledge that people die fairly often? Does the organization purposely encourage people who can't possibly pass to come and die there? Are they too stupid to live? Is Serie just not very good at writing invitations?

I just did a quick reread and before they take the test they read up on the Magic Association. Fun facts include: Fifth class and up are considered "full-fledged mages" and are allowed to take the 1st class exam, but there are classes below that down to 9 where you're just considered an apprentice, and counting those there approximately 2000 (registered) mages in the world.

Also casualties in the exam are listed as common, so anybody signing up for the exam either knows what's up or is indeed, a loving idiot. I suppose the prize of a free spell is just too tempting for some underqualified dummies.

Anyway I can't find it because the story's just too long with flashbacks spaced out (and the one wiki blows), but wasn't the idea for the Magic Association originally Flamme's? I swear I remember that but it could just be something my shoddy memory cooked up.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 8, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

M_Gargantua posted:

A 16 month detour to the east is very easy to do, really. Much easier than any stupid test.

Ah, but you forget...

The stupid test was clearly the only choice in the end

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

drilldo squirt posted:

Didn't that one guy get smashed by the ceiling trap?

The ones that failed Test 2 were
  • Lange - Gets stuck in a spike trap with walls closing in, when no one can seem to help her stop the trap, she breaks the bottle and bails
  • Edel - Gets stabbed by Sense's clone after realizing her magic is useless against the clones, bails immediately
  • Blei - Buys time for the third member of their mini-party to escape Sense's clone, then bails
  • Lawine - Gets stabbed by Sense's clone, bails (after Richter has to talk her into it)
  • Richter - Also gets stabbed.
  • Ton - Remember Ton, guys? Remember? (So unimportant he fails off-screen)
In retrospect it's funny that Sense, who designed the test to be as non-lethal as possible, unintentionally (or intentionally?) ended up causing 4 out of 6 failures just by being there (and thus allowing the dungeon to create a clone)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Lizard posted:

Stille rely on their magic detection to be able to flee, so I would say Stark could be pretty useful in catching one, as long as he cooperates with someone capable of incapitating the bird.

Wirbel probably destroys Stark, his nifty little spell seals movement and I don't see Stark having any way to dispel or resist it.

Übel vs. Stark depends entirely on how she feels. "Scissors go brrrr through muscles" and she wins, "any scissors would shatter when trying to cut through those chiseled abs" and she loses. :v:

Yeah Stark's only real defense is managing to block every one of her attacks with his axe since metal is kinda hard to cut....

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Lizard posted:

Well, they did manage to kill everyone on the list but Frieren, so efficient or no, it's hard to argue with the results. :v:

Also that old dude almost managed to solo the entire party, that's drat impressive.

Well, Fern (probably) would've blown his head off, but yeah if he hadn't showed Stark mercy or made the classic villain mistake of letting the hero stall for time, he definitely could've killed 2 out of 3.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Akett posted:

Might be a case like FF14, where the word for star is used for both and they had to make a guess what she was cursing.

The planet one makes more sense since presumably demons still want to live there after Tot finishes whatever it is her curse does, and I'd imagine loving over the whole drat sun wouldn't ultimately serve anyone very well in the end

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Lizard posted:

Solitar probably doesn't know what would happen if she tried to actively gently caress with the established future, but neither does Himmel and hoping that the timeline will correct itself and prevent any intervention instead of, say, collapsing and erasing future Frieien from existence, was not worth the risk. And she knew that.

She basically successfully bluffed him.

Yeah there are so many versions of time travel throughout fiction that we don't know what would have happened and like you said, Solitar didn't either, but the chance of it all loving Frieren/the future up was too great. Easier to let one demon escape than gamble with causality.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It was a very sweet moment when Frieren was smiling at Stark not denying he could wreck them close range. She's proud of his development. :3:

panko posted:

the virgin stark thinking he’d be cut to pieces by sense / the chad ubel believing she could slice serie

I'm kinda curious, could Stark beat mages by utilizing Ubel's weaponized stupidity technique? Like, magic in this world is based heavily on belief/visualization, which is how Ubel is such a deadly match against stuff like Sense's hair based attacks, but Stark barely knows anything about magic, so could he cut through stuff like Sense's hair or that one dude's magic cloak using the same principle of "well duh, of course an axe can cut through that"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

Maybe it’s just me but it feels like Land won’t survive this arc

I feel like whether he does or not, there will definitely be a reveal where we find out that Ubel figured him/his spell out and has been using a clone for a while now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Lizard posted:

I will laugh my rear end off if this manga ends with Ubel killing Frieien.

I don't think that will happen necessarily but I do think that she might off Serie. She's that kinda nuts and we know from their brief meeting that she was totally sizing up Serie to figure out if she could do it

RuBisCO posted:

The anime fleshed out Laufen as this martial arts close combat mage which was really cool, especially because they probably based it entirely on her design having Chun-Li buns and a qipao-equse outfit, and your comment made me think if that becomes kinda incongruous in light of this chapter lol

Idk I can see how a mage whose signature spell involves moving really quick could buck the trend and change her style from the typical mage to adapt for stuff like close-range fighting.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

One of my friends correctly guessed that the third test will be "Serie says if they pass or not" based purely on the amount of anime remaining. She's also pretty much correctly guessing who will and won't pass. I'm so proud of her.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out Kanne won't pass. (Good for your friend though, that is cool)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Darth TNT posted:

Which chapters were the exam? I’m trying to find them to reread.

If you want the entire exam (all 3 parts I mean), it's from 37 to 58

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

M_Gargantua posted:

We allow Frieren on this council, but we do not grant her the rank of Master, just because.

More like "we will not allow Frieren on this council, and if I see her in this temple again in the next thousand years, you're all fired."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Magic Gear Solid: Tactical Kabedon Action

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The junk collector posted:

Fern is a war orphan.

As is Stark. And Frieren herself too... maybe? Possibly? I mean we find her in a village with all the other elves dead so I'm assuming she had parents there, but maybe I'm assuming too much.

e: oh and I forgot it's at least implied Flamme was too

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 15, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sharkmafia posted:

yeah serie is not just as bad but actually way worse than frieren about being honest with her feelings. especially current frieren

she's obsessed with magical power and knowledge as a measure of achievement having lived her life that way for thousands of years, so she interprets her sadness about losing those close to her through that lens. 'humans die too fast to become truly powerful,' etc.

Yeah she kinda says that in that scene with Lernen when he was able to see through Frieren's mana suppression

She's actually proud Lernen has grown this much under her tutelage, but simultaneously disappointed that he's gotten this good and is close to the end. Which leads Lernen to take all this the wrong way and try to attack Frieren to make a name for himself, which is when we see (through Frieren's memories) that Serie actually does care for them, no matter what her icy exterior may otherwise say.

Honestly Serie and Frieren are far more similar than she'd like to admit. ...Which I'm sure drives her nuts

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VideoWitch posted:

I was rereading the chapters for the next episode and seeing the bit where Denken talks about his dead wife and the city of Weise and now I'm wondering if the anime is gonna add a tease for Macht or the Golden City in general there

If I had to guess I'd say yes since it's the next "big adventure" outside of episodic stuff, and while episodic stuff is a lot of people's favorite and arguably the show/manga's appeal, bigger plots/stories make for better teasers/stuff to generate hype for another anime season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tosk posted:

I'm curious to see what he'll end up being like.

A stain on the floor after Frieren & co were done :black101: