Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I have a growing need to propose a theme for an episode for the podcast to look at, where would be the best place to do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbL9Vsobx8I

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jose posted:

Orange chocolate is shite
This is antisemitism and you need to resign.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

You hve to be profoundly disingenuous to turn that into singling out Israel.
Good thing our journalist class is poo poo hot about integrity and intent!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

I know people are hopeful about the future after Jeffrey's announcement last night but I'd not quit the Discord yet.
I'm really having trouble keeping up with the discord, not only does it move too fast but I can never remember which channel I posted in or what that channel is about.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Twentington

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Vote Labour but fund the unions

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

I don't like Venn Diagrams anymore

Euler all the way

As Grey Area says there were some jokes in The IT Crowd that were transphobic and people began saying as much.
As well as transphobic jokes peppered throughout his back calalog, it was the b-plot of an entire episode, spoilered for details of gender insensitivity in case anyone hadn't seen it. Basically the head of the company has a brief relationship with a trans woman until he finds out. And it takes the opportunity to hit drat near every trope it can.

Reynholm meets a woman (played by Belinda Stewart-Wilson aka Will's mum) and is attracted to her and pursues her romantically.

Oh, and she's his employee, so there's that as well.

At some point she discloses that she hasn't pursued their attraction because she 'used to be a man' (his words) and he seems not to be bothered by it. Pretty sure she refers to it as a shameful secret.

Reynholm says he isn't bothered by it and she's overjoyed and they start a relationship.

She seems to be interested in typically male activities - there is a whole montage of them drinking, arm-wrestling, watching football. The joke being the usual mashup of transphobic tropes and the only humour coming from double entendres about m/m relationships.

They have sex so at least there's no jokes about penises, it just goes down an equally awful route.

I'm pretty sure that the main characters find out she's trans and laugh about douglas not knowing.

It later transpires that Reynholm thought she said she was 'from Iran' (yes, i know) and upon her saying, while they are in bed watching darts (yep), 'to think I thought you would be bothered that I used to be a man' he realises and is horrified (yes, I know)

I might be misremembering (i used to watch IT crowd before I knew better) but I think at one point they show a photo supposedly of her pre-transition and again, the difference is played for laughs

after a break for commencial and a bit of a-plot, they are looking round a new lab and douglas is acting completely disinterested in her (you could possibly say that at least reynholm is shown as the bad guy here, but that's like looking for a cubic zirconia in the greater london sewage system).

They have a fight, the joke being that she has male strength, and crash through a wall and interfere with the a-plot somehow. At the end of the episode i think he looks at a picture of her and is sad or something but again it's played as a joke at her expense.

I remember it being one of the weaker episodes. I mean the theater episode at the start of s2 at least has very good comic timing, even if the content is astoundingly homophobic and outright abusive to disabilities.

Unless you're transphobic this whole episode is just... ehh. You could write it off as a product of not knowing any better at the time, except he is still trying to defend it.

E: Actually it occurs to me that this might be a good episode for the pod to dissect because there are a ton of microagressions I keep remembering.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 27, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

sebzilla posted:

https://tribunemag.co.uk/2020/06/how-keir-starmer-sabotaged-rebecca-long-bailey

Nothing we didn't know but it hurts to see it all spelled out
That's the problem with centre right dickheads, their talk of unity is always 'you need to do it our way' and never them doing it our way.

After all this i'm not willing to give Starmer the benefit of the doubt and fully expect him to start trying to hobble the unions within the year.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I mean there are literally precincts of the NYPD who pay their officers to go to Krav Maga classes, which is not an appropriate form to be teaching to what is supposed to be a peacekeeping force.

The problem is that KM is taught to the IDF, and Israeli citizens have national service in the IDF (IIRC). Teaching martial arts classes can be a lucrative sideline. This isn't like saying you learned it from russian or chinese special forces, more like taking a self defence class from an ex army dude at the civic hall.

The trick in making it sound like an antisemitic conspiracy is (at least linguistically) in the conflation of security service (which the IDF is) and secret service (which the IDF isn't, outside of conspiracy theories). A secret service teaching cops sounds like foreign influence, and I get the impression that the people trying to bend this into antisemitism know exactly how the difference will be percieved by the average reader.

Plus everyone treading on eggshells around any mention of Israeli state apparatus.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

we must all come together and do the same thing

no, not your thing, our thing

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

dickheads cosplaying legalese is one of my favourite things to read :allears:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If we're going to talk about vijo gam soundtracks, I will again point out this absolute banger from Warframe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPTCq3LiZSE

Comes from an expansion about a venusian slave labour force rebelling against the corporate masters who have literally been amputating parts of their bodies if they don't work hard enough.

This other one is also great and gave me a full on identity crisis during this bit of the game. It turns out you were secretly an anime princess the whole time, and after saying 'this is who you are' it drops into a character creator about 50-100 hours into the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEiTgU-hM5k

The main drawback is that the composer is called Keith Power :thunk:

GazChap posted:

But who is this Scott Atlas chap? And Dr Lee for that matter. Are they actually respected science bods, or are they (as I suspect) bought and paid for, as it would appear is the case for Karol Sikora?
There should be a special level of gulag for anyone who sells out their field like this; climate science deniers, antivaxxers, IGN reviewers etc.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

big scary monsters posted:

You can just not look at bad people's tweets.
The major issue is all of the people not doing this, and how much twitter's business model depends on that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Marty O'Donnell is pretty good as well, the symphony he wrote for Destiny has pretty much been my go-to for the last 2 years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUfJvj6Hkfg

It's funny because the first song has this great sense of loss and of something once great and epic that has long since fallen, and uh... Destiny.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

bump_fn posted:

very curious to know what the labour practices of the company who made this game are

i wonder if they dont get overtime or any proper compensation for crunch

hmmmmmmmmm
DE seem pretty good, although they've definitely hinted in devstreams that they were in crunch before major updates.

They're an older company (made the original Unreal Tournament) and as such are less under the yoke of an abusive publisher than most. They have the feel of an old-school software company with a relatively small team working on one game at a time.

What's interesting is that one of the senior devs Steve said of this expansion that it was important in particular to him, as it was a 'very personal' story, during an interview where they were talking about the capitalistic abuse of workers. Didn't expand more than that but they have been profoundly hosed around by publishers in the past. There's a noclip doc on youtube about it.

I get the impression that they're better than most companies and the aspects in which they do suck are very much a 'no ethical way to compete under capitalism' kind of way. A few years ago when they were about to go under and had to fire a bunch of people, they hired them all back as soon as they could.

I mean Jim Sterling thinks they're alright, and he's a difficult lad to please.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bollocks, I just lost a huge saved post about that twitter list of bad words.

I'm not convinced that we should cancel calling people stupid basically, but my opinion isn't cast iron and i'm aware of problems with it.

I think the root of it is that there are a lot of kids who are labelled stupid when they have undiagnosed conditions (possibly even undiscovered conditions) but labelling them as stupid is a convenient way for uncaring / underfunded authorities to not investigate why that child is struggling.

There are times when on podcasts, or this thread, or twitter when people say stuff like "Imagine not knowing X," and I didn't know X, and then I feel bad; so I get the 'try not to make people feel like poo poo about stuff they can't help' aspect.

On the other hand, there is something not only cathartic but also accurate seeming about calling Donald Trump a stupid motherfucker for failing to understand how skin, or light, or bleach works. There is a similar feeling to calling Brendan O'Neil and Ben Shapiro stupid, even if they use enough big words to hide how moronic their pet theories are.

In Destiny 2 at the moment there's a whole thing about calling Titans 'crayon eaters' that's blown up. If I understand it correctly, there was a big contest between the three classes, Titans won, and the other 2 classes grumbled that of course the big stupid jocks won. Someone started referring to them as crayon eaters, someone complained to the community manager that it was abusive to autistic kids* and the community manager had a rant at the community, which just made them double down on the meme.

I think it depends if you're punching down or not, like the examples of Trump or Shapiro vs say a teacher calling a kid stupid.

* Not really, I mean some autistic kids put things in their mouths inappropriately but it feels like there's a conflation here between autistic kids and kids that are just stupid. If she'd said pika she might have had a point.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Isomermaid posted:

Every day he pops up in the news to prevaricate about whether some obvious slam-dunk bad thing has its good parts actually or congratulate the tories on doing the best they can at a difficult time and I'm struggling to remember when he actually said anything useful or good. The tories are killing people in their thousands and he just stands there with a thousand yard stare and a permanently furrowed brow with a face like a guilty puppy you've walked in on making GBS threads in your shoes.Two months in and I'm already sick to death of the sight of the ineffectual milquetoast tosser and if he wants to expel me for lack of decorum he can have my membership card and wedge it up his useless arse because he sure as poo poo isn't interested in fighting for my rights, the spineless, master-butcher-in-a-cheap-suit prick.
Commentariat.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

He seems to be following the lead of Biden in the US - say and do as little as possible, don't commit to any positions and win the next election by virtue of not being the current incumbent.
The problem as pointed out by Chapo a few shows back is that his entire strategy is pointing out that Trump is a bad president.

Everyone loving knows he's a bad president. The reason nobody's enthusiastic about Joe Biden is because he's not putting any effort into saying why we should vote for him.

I feel like Starmer will do exactly the same.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Marmaduke! posted:

But more likely we'd get a hung parliament and so the lib dems would triumphantly be kingmakers for the tories.
The gladwell node in my brain just got tempted by the idea that the tories consistent shitness is a gambit to place their opposition as anti-tory, which the lib dems can exploit, split the opposition, and then enter coalition every few years.

But rationally, I think they're just doing the same balancing act between poo poo and evil, and the Libs just exploited that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I also like the 'no response measured' areas, which means either they couldn't find any chippies, or when they asked people what sauce they liked they recieved only a baleful glare and dark mutterings about the audacity of putting sauce on chips.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/OregonProgress/status/1278063547738517504?s=19

So this is a thing.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/amazon-jeff-bezos-guillotine-protest-home-a9593961.html

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 30, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Does anyone know how UC for self employment works? I keep trying to get my head around it, but the benefit calculators on gov.uk keep saying I'm not entitled to anything because my wife works more than 16 hours (even though she barely makes enough to keep us fed & afloat).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

To be honest that's the biggest issue - my wife's mother died a few years back and left the house to her and her sister. So while we're incredibly lucky not to have a mortgage, lucky is probably not the best word to describe the circumstances by which we inherited the house. We split the bills 3 ways as well, so in terms of claiming for anything for the house is going to be a complete nightmare.

Is there a 'sometimes I need to eat and pay for buses' component to it?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Donut posted:

It depends how much your wife earns, rather than how many hours she is doing. She might be earning enough to reduce any potential UC payment to zero that you might be entitled to.
The weird thing is that every time I try to run though any version of the application, it literally says no because she works more than 16 hours. Which seems like bullshit if you have a partner who works 20 hours minimum wage.

I might be misunderstanding it, but the local CAB have been absolutely no help - if I try to walk in they say I need an appointment, and if I try to call they never answer. Job centre won't give me any advice unless I'm already registered.

I'm also interested in how this works because I'm convinced that the whole self employment / LLC / tax deduction / bankruptcy system is a coded system for rich people to magic up free money - start a company, pay yourself a wage, run up a bunch of debts and then write it off via bankruptcy.

The reason not everyone can do it is because only the rich are trained in how to structure it without ending up in jail.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Goldskull posted:

I'm trying my best to help as I asked the same thing on here a few months ago, and got poo poo off people for being a ltd company and following the same financial advice off accountants/agencies so I could actually get loving paid when they changed the rules about 6 years ago, only help I got was 'LOL sucks to be you being a company director and going under the tax bracket as an employee', like I don't pay best part of 5 figures a year in tax. Same poo poo on twitter, where all the mouthbreathers think you're some kind of cash in hand 1970s Handyman.
Sorry, I realise that part of my post probably came across sounding super dickish. The LLC structure is obviously important to protect individuals from business liability, I just think that as a system it's hugely open to abuse by the kind of people Roger Cook used to chase down the street.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Goldskull posted:

I don't get what you're on about, nothing about what you said was dickish in the slightest. And LLC are US things no? Essentially matey, just apply for UC and see what they say.

^^For Bobby Deluxe
I think I got the wrong end of the stick from your reply about using a limited company and trying to help, probably my fault misinterpreting it. I thought you had read my post as an attack on you for using that structure.

Most of my time getting my head round self-assessment has been spent feeling like it's structured to be a weird form of welfare for the rich, or people who've been brought up in a business family to understand it. I don't, so without being able to structure a specific argument I'm left with the feeling that there's something very suspicious about it all.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

sebzilla posted:

Four day week? What a stupid loving policy from Commie Corbyn, no wonder he lost

https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1279056897056870400

Well, nevertheless...
At this point though, isn't this a middle class only issue? Given that most working class people are either gig work or zero hours, and therefore this would only apply to salaried office workers?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

namesake posted:

Modern journalism doesn't investigate or discover things, that's why it's such a big deal when they actually ever report on anything that isn't after some sort of official announcement or major event. I'd imagine most of them don't even know what Fleet Street was.
This was one of the pillars of my Grand Unifying Bullshit Theory I had last month. Essentially rehashing the first episode of the Patriot Act (thanks for the recommendation Rarity), but with an added rant about how national papers tend to hire out of universities rather than local papers, and journalism students are mired by a lack of practical experience so just retweet whatever they see, with an added dash of bullshit artists tending to be the ones who succeed in any given career.

I do worry sometimes that I'm starting to join dots that aren't there when I do posts like that, and then like clockwork a report or leak will come out and it turns out I was most of the way there.

On the score of drinking, judging by the street outside being a popular shortcut to the local pubs the absolute lads are out in force and hoping to get themselves thoroughly peppered with covid, or at the very least making plans to combine it with super-gonorrhea.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ The stock will be sold to the Saudis, not the police.

DeadButDelicious posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53296689

Coronavirus: 'Crystal clear' drunk people will not socially distance

Well no loving poo poo, did we need to open the pubs to ascertain the validity of this assessment?
BBC prepping the country for the flip to blaming people for not following the absolutely normal and completely clear government advice.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What the gently caress is it with Keith Haircut and the slow-mo promos?

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1279696450142732291?s=19

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1279367746053124097?s=19

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1277275006804938755?s=19

Or does he move at that speed in real life as well as in policy?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

Honestly we're so lucky that indoor toilets are so normalised that they don't even enter into imagination or we'd be hearing about marketing communal toilets in new buy to let slums.

https://twitter.com/deletedbyMPs/status/1276171209852571648
You joke, but our neighbour was putting up homeless people in his house / airbnb hotel while the government were still paying to do that. It's a 1930s house with one shared bathroom between 4 rooms, so anyone unlucky enough to be placed in there would be basically rolling the dice with their own life every time they took a poo poo.

He's still listing it everywhere as 'each unit has access to a bathroom, patio and kitchenette,' which is technically accurate (each room has the right to use the shared bathroom, patio and kitchenette), but incredibly loving misleading.

I'm pretty sure there have been a couple of guests who just left after hearing him wandering round the house (he's staying there during quarantine) coughing his guts out (heavy weed smoker) before the government closed anything down.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1280770107371896832?s=19

I feel like this explains a lot.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'd assume that he was always a knob, it's just before QT, nobody knew who he was, so nobody was listening. Post QT, it's a mixture of arrogant bravado and the sly calculation that he can probably wrangle more money and publicity out of this than he could doing acting gigs.
I doubt it's even remotely that tactical, he just said something offensive on question time, got lovebombed by the alt right, now believes they're the good guys because they're the ones being nice and supporting him on patreon, and as a consequence has had his right wing opinions dragged as far right as they'll go.

Same as Glinner, don't give him credit for being some machievellian grifter, he's just an idiot who fell in with some vile people.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Is there a marginally more ethical place to get masks from that anyone knows of? Obviously no ethical consumption under capitalism and all that, but if I can avoid engorging Bezos' dragon horde then I'm all for that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I don't really understand but am pleased to be in it. Pleased also to have wanged the words Kancho and urutsukodoji considering this forum's proven track record with anime deviance.

Haven't been out much since lockdown started (I'm asthmatic) so wasn't aware mask acquisition had become easier, so thanks for the recommendations all.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

Studies indicate that only about 5%developed immunity in Spain and that it wore off after a couple months but hey anything else would affect the economy so gently caress it I guess.
The conservatives could continue killing the entire country, reducing the population smaller and smaller until it's just Michael Gove and Boris Johnson, and they'd still both refuse to go out and scavenge for beans because they are management class and therefore their talents are better spent overseeing the proper utilisation of the beans once they finally arrive while trying to set up some kind of elaborate ponzi scheme.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Is this government malevolent or just entirely loving useless?
The behaviour of the right wing in both the UK and the US in the last few years has been like they know the gig is up. They know the system they created is unsustainable, they know it's all about to get shut down or collapse, so they've switched to fire-sale mode and are all trying to see how much they can get away with and how much they can steal before either environmental disaster or civil protest takes it all away from them.

Honestly I think this phase has strung out much longer than any of them expected and now we're stuck in this weird hell of the political right seeing how far they can get away with pushing things before society breaks.

I don't think this is malevolence or incompetence, I think this is the 'movement behind the curtain' Matt Crispman of Chapo keeps talking about. We'll never really get to see what's going on back there or understand the nature of the best, but occasionally we do see shapes moving against the surface, every so often a brief glimpse as some disturbance lifts the hem of the curtain ever so slightly. The epstein trials, or the labour leaks, or Greensill.

In a weird way though it's a good thing that we're seeing things like this, because it shows that the government is losing control over both the events and the messaging right now. In most cases it unfortunately means next to nothing because the concept of political accountability died with David Cameron.

In web monetisation there is the concept of black hat & white hat (probably in a lot of other areas too, but that's where I heard it). As an example, a white hat site takes the time to build a good UI, good community, ethical ad policy and content that results in a site which is pleasant to use, and people will wsnt to spend time on and come back to.

Black hat sites will use clickbait to sucker people into clicking on a page of shambolic, ad and malware infested copy/paste from another site with popunders leading to other clickbait sites, and every dirty trick in the book.

Note that I said white hat site (singular) and black hat pages (plural), because the thing about black hat sites is that they are not built to be revisited. It doesn't matter if you block the domain because the url was never made to be remembered, it was autogenerated by a script somewhere, which then spammed it onto a few hacked social media accounts and moved on to generate a new one. In the time it takes to build up and make money from one white hat site, a black hat script kid will have written something that can throw out hundreds of clickbait pages.

Gaming is another good example, where you can either take time crafting unique assets for something like GTA Online, or you can rush out a couple of hundred lovely match 3 clones in half the time and make ten times the money.

The difference between white and black hats (yes the term is stupid but it's the one I'm familiar with) is the difference between Corbyn and the tories. Corbynism was about building a better country through sustainability and long-term investment. Thatcherism was always about selling off the country for a profit and then investing it in your mates businesses.

At the start of this rant I had this thought that the tories were acting like it's all going to be over soon, but I think that too is part of the game. They drain all they can from the country, getting more venal and corrupt as they do so, until we reach a point where it has got bad enough that the dickheads finally ignore the Sun and Mail and vote Labour.

Then Labour try and rebuild, try and get rid of the deficet (white hat). And while out of power the tories reap the benefits of all the scams they ran while in power, all of the companies now giving them consultancy fees and directorships.

Eventually the public forget. They forgot how nakedly evil they were back in the 80s and early nineties. The press ramps up its support of the tory party because of course it loving does, they're all married to or appointed by tories. A number of economic bombs go off, like things the tories buy with PFI which gently caress Labour budgets up after they've gone.

And they get back into power just as Labour pays off the deficet, only to run it back up with insane giveaways to their friends in business.

It's a pattern we're going to see over and over, because now instead of Corbyn fixing the country we'll have at best sir Keith Haircut QC wringing his hands and being all forensic at PMQT while hundreds die as a result of tory incompetence.

E: Haircut is trying to invent the concept of grey hat, and it's failing hilariously because he refuses to build for the future like a white hat, but refuses to lower himself to the exploitative techniques of black hats. So he just sits there, a meaningless grey blob, doing nothing. Also the hat is a fedora.

Dell_Zincht posted:

What variety? Original, Sour, Darkside or the weird imported Smoothie ones from B&M?
I haven't bothered with skittles in years, then the wife bought a bag of giant skittles the other day and now I want them all the time, they're amazing.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 16, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

While I get the point you're making, where did you hear those terms used like that for website monetisation?
Porn initially, I thought a few years ago that it would be pretty easy to scrape the free samples that sites give out, upload it to a gallery site, stick some ads on it, and then output the galleries to tumblr. Not huge money, but certainly some money.

Then tumblr banned porn, I realised I didn't know poo poo about programming, and kind of lost all motivation for a few years.

I heard 'whitehat/blackhat' used in that context to refer to people who were building porn sites to retain users by putting actual care into them so users would return, and blackhats as people just out to automate making some quick bucks at the expense of any user retention.

If that's not the correct usage then please let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Private Speech posted:

Specifically for SEO "blackhat" refers to using fake content and various abusive techniques to drive views/revenue, whereas "whitehat" is about making meaningful content that also happens to be good clickbait and searchable.
This was very much the way I heard it used. Specifically a forum of people who considered themselves blackhat - the context was that Tumblr had just disabled basically any ads on custom layouts, and the forum were discussing how to circumvent the ban so they could continue to make money out of porn blogs.

They were pretty derisive of white hats as suckers wasting time trying to play by the rules, which is definitely the attitude I see by those currently steering the tory party.