Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

The New Mexico flag is still one of the best state flags out there though. It's got a very simple and meaningful design that you can recognize at a glance, and it even represents the native population, which is the third-highest proportion out of any state at 9.1%.

You... must be kidding, right? That flag is atrocious. Nevermind the letters, the lettering itself looks like Word Art circa 1993.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Europe has pretty solid flags overall, but this one has always irked me:

The pattern looks like Commodore 64 ASCII art or something snatched from grandma's home embroidery for her coffee table. It looks boorish, hokey and overcomplicated at the same time, like trying to top off a failed cake with frosting patterns meant to look like cuneiform script.

And to think they could have had this:

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

My Russian/Ukrainian is pretty lovely but, um, that top word means '(TO) DIE' I think?

Not that the big gently caress-off skull didn't tip anyone off, probably

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Count Roland posted:

Also it's not like those "rules" are anything more than guidelines dreamed up by people because they thought they made sense. Flags are an art, and art breaks rules all the time.

True, but most art is lovely, ergo most flags are lovely, and to break the rules in an interesting fashion, you've got to know them first. Art brut is rarely more than merely interesting.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Is this a series? If so, can you post the rest, I don't feel like trawling through miles of Instagram trash :(

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Absolute garbage. All the distinct aesthetic qualities of arabic are missing, this looks like something you could type out with a latin alphabet keyboard, in lower case so it looks even shittier. Poorly written even, the characters are all lumpy. The sole part of the design that isn't just text is a white oval on black that is weirdly lumpy. What a terrible, terrible flag.

I think this flag is trash on purpose, kind of like brutalist architecture is meant to convey to the individual that they mean nothing.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Mississippi more like Missippissi am i rite

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Xombie posted:

As someone from Ohio, this triggers me.

Our awesome flag is the only thing we have, don't take it away from us!

You have astronauts, too, I thought.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s a good flag but now looks unfortunately kekistani.

Most municipal flags look like lovely mspaints for corporations in the 90s.

In the US, maybe.

Check the flag of my hometown:

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Brussels native? Or is that Gent?

It's Ghent. You're thinking of the Brabantian flag, which is the inverse of the Flemish flag:

This is the flag of Brussels, with Saint Michael trampling the Devil:

The Brussels Capital District has its own flag, too, which is oddly French-looking to me due to its fleur-de-lys:

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Looks like cum to me tbh

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Vasukhani posted:

Probably a Georgian emigre. Most Americans from the former soviet union support Trump and are fond towards Putin.

I wonder why they would use that flag though, Georgia began using it from ~2004 after a political movement drove the distinctly pro-Putin president Shevernadze from power

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

In Vatican City, where priests are so pretty
I first set my eyes on the cardinal's throne

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

BonHair posted:

Especially if it's stylised a bit:

idk it looks nice when blown up to a large size but in smaller sizes it looks like jpeg artifacts

I agree with the other poster who said text on flags is kind of gauche, and I think it holds true even for scripts like Arabic or Devanagari. It just looks better to people who can't read the script so they parse it as a design pattern instead of letters.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Byzantine posted:

T-pose to assert imperium

Imperial Power Stance, as it were

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If we simply revive the Holy Roman Empire, we won't need separate belgian and german flags.

They aren't even 90° versions of each other because the color bands have a different order, and if you want to get really technical, the yellow in Germany's flag is of a darker shade.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah, but San Marino doesn't have a hole in the map.

It's too small to even merit a hole. Vatican City doesn't have one either.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I appreciate the design shootout to Greenland's flag, but why the hedron?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Kurzgesagt

Surely you mean Kyrgzgesagt

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Futanari Damacy posted:

South Carolina :colbert:

Surely you mean أقدس الخلافة في ولاية كارولينا الجنوبية

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Afrikaner Voetfetisjbeweging

De Grote Aftrek

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Did you follow-up on my suggestion from last page? Or did someone else have the same (admittedly not terribly original) idea? :D

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

and hooked crosses for Central Europe.

:godwinning:

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Tnega posted:

This flag (F1839) is a lovely composition. The red, blue, and yellow are easily distinguished from afar.

Fargo Boogie Woogie by Piet Mondriaan

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I am very much in favour of popery though

e: explicitly Protestant flags blow rear end

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

BonHair posted:

How about antipope flags?

idk ask Corky

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I was going to be all like "they're missing the truly Danish pronunciation", but I see that it's included in the bonus example where it's part of a longer sentence.

Every time a Dane uses a stød an angel dies.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

The Kyrgyzstan flag depicts the sacred final boule from the petanque game in which they won their independence

Petanqistan does have a ring to it I must say

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That's a great idea. Too bad about 100% of flags don't follow this scheme.

I know you like to shitpost (doodoopost, even) but this is simply not true.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

It's kind of darkly funny we're discussing the merit of script systems for various languages while posting in English, a language notorious for its baffling spelling rules, written in Latin script, a script that's historically awful at handling languages with complex vowel systems like in Germanic languages.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

English doesn't have a complex vowel system, unless you're a stupid-rear end Anglo linguist who thinks diphthongs and triphthongs are what they aren't and that the fact that long and short vowels are phonetically somewhat different is somehow important when writing language down, when it's not.

This was probably meant as a snarling putdown of sorts but you couldn't be more wrong. English isn't my first language and I was actually only considering monopthongs, of which e.g. RP English has 13 (and 5 have a missing short/long partner so that's the first bit where you went wrong). Like in German and Dutch, long and short vowels* have different qualities to the extent that they alter the meaning of words, and in fact L2 speakers often struggle quite a bit with getting them right. That's where that age-old Internet joke comes from about the Italian tourist who wants "sheet/poo poo in the bed" because Italian doesn't have and [ɪ/i]-distinction. Phonetic distinctions either matter or they don't, they can never matter "somewhat". For instance, Scots often replace [u] with [y] but while these are qualitatively different vowels, there the distinction doesn't matter because to English ears, [y] is an allophone of [u].

The one thing you got correct though is that I'm a stupid-rear end linguist.

*You can argue that Dutch and General American English don't actually even have true long vowels so that the qualitative distinction becomes even more important

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

English has had several spelling reforms. They haven't worked very well overall. Part of the problem is dialects, but it's also that relatively few English words even have a single pronunciation within the dialect - most have several correct but contextual pronunciations, and trying to capture that in written english would be a headache, so with a few exceptions (like common contractions) we usually don't even bother to try.

Which is a lame excuse. Languages like Dutch and Italian have many dialects but have a fairly decent spelling/pronunciation-relationship. The point of spelling is not to accurately capture every possible idiolect but to find a reasonable middle ground to represent standardised pronunciation.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

BonHair posted:

This, however, is a terrible idea. Excel does this where every command is translated into Danish, making 100% of tutorials online useless because I need to know that Vlookup is actually called Lopslag in Danish for idiotic reasons. From what I gather, programming is 90% googling how to do stuff, so breaking that would be bad.

"lopslag" sounds kind of dirty

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

May I present to you the naughtiest of asteroids: https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q981202

Pretty cool the preceding asteroid is named 9000 Hal though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Or a travel agency from the early aughts