Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DrankSinatra posted:

If I want to play a somewhat less feature-heavy space 4x, is the 2016 Master of Orion worthwhile at $9?

ROTP is free and better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

ROTP? Checked OP, didn't see anything that fit

Return of the Precursors, a ftp MoO1 remake with some minor changes and QoL updates. Its excellent, and all done by one dude

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

Remnants of the Precursors?

youre right, its always just ROTP on my computer so I forget the actual title sometimes

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mayveena posted:

Any disagreements here? https://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-strategy-games/

I'm phone posting, otherwise I'd list them as well.

It has Iron Harvest but no Shadow Empire, complete BS!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

looks like thats what that article did

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

It's ugly but it's excellent and after a while the ugliness has a sort of familiar charm. It's my fav 4X, def keep the manual handy but it's 100% worth the learning curve which isn't too bad.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

If you're comfy with hex and counter grog games you'll love Shadow Empire

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I feel like at that point youre playing GSG and not a 4x

Shadow Empire is my personal favorite mix of empire/unit management. The councils do stuff but you manage them and your officers and still have a lot of direct control tho you do have to manage your units

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I love DasTactic. Every time a game comes out hes like "Ive already played it for 10000000 hours and am ready to impart my knowledge unto you"

His tutorial series helped Shadow Empire click for me and now its one of my fav games

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I believe Ray Fowler, the dude behind Remnants of the Precursors (which is one of my all time favorite games, even though I never played the original MoO) stated that once RoTP is done he's going to work on a MoO2 equivalent. I know he posts here sometimes so correct me if I'm wrong.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

DW1 was like $120 for years, no discounts ever

steam has made gamers spoiled and weak

I try to get a dollar an hour out of video games, but I set the max at $60 (unless it's some sort of premium edition with extra stuff)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

whats the monkey island rule?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

edit: wrong thread

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mayveena posted:

Anyone in on Dune Spice Wars? Please post impressions if so😀

DasTactic just uploaded a video playing it, looks interesting

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mayveena posted:

Well I bought it an played it for a few minutes. There is a LOT going on in this game and it's going to take some dedicated play for me to get my head around it. At the same time it certainly brings back those literally 2AM play sessions of Dune II. I loved that game so much and am so glad it's finally gotten a fresh coat of paint.

I'm curious is it more based on the books or kinda a tie-in to the the new movie? Would like to hear your impressions as you play it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

If the trex jaw mold doesnt fit, you must acquit

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I completely agree. And the new 4Xs coming out seem to all be tributes/remakes to the "golden age" rather than trying new 4X stuff.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thompsons posted:

Were there any practical guides or tutorials for Shadow Empires? I keep wanting to get into it but it's just not clicking for me.

DasTactic on youtube has some excellent tutorials, it's how I learned. Battlemode on youtube plays it, not a tutorial but I found watching his vids helpful in learning and seeing how the games supposed to be played. The manual is also pretty well written and helpful, especially when youre starting out and figuring out some of the finicky systems.

It's also very groggy, so learning stuff like NATO counters and military command hierarchies is helpful but not necessary

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 9, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Rappaport posted:

There's a modernization of MoO1 available as freeware, if new players don't want to struggle with a game interface from 1993.

I was gonna say "just play RotP instead" and then realized you linked to RotP. Great game, the dev is itt sometimes

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

That game and their previous game look so loving ugly.
It's really annoying trying to play spreadsheet games that have really murky blurry graphics.

Part of why I could never play the Endless series. Just so loving ugly.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

They both look bland as hell to me

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

cant wait to play as this dude

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

anyone have recs for "coffee break" 4X games if they exist? Don't have to be actual short spanned in game length, but just something lighter than Civ to tinker with after work when im tired and don't have a lot of brainpower to use

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks for the coffee break recs everyone!

Ozymandias and FreeCiv are both exactly what I was looking for. Tho I gave Dominions 5 a shot and its completely hooked me over the other 2 lmao.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Is Polytopia the same game as "Battle of Polytopia" on Steam or is that a sequel/spin off?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thanks for whoever reccomended Polytopia for a coffee break 4X, scratches the itch perfectly and im having a ton of fun.

Quick question: is there a setting or mod (im playing on Steam) that lets you know if you have unfinished business before you end the turn? Like a "you haven't moved this unit yet" warning. Or maybe theres an in game way to tell im missing?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hard agree Shadow Empire is GOAT

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Infidelicious posted:

I like wargames. I just don't like playing the same fairly shallow one repeatedly; which is what happens when you make tactical combat a focus of 4x's.

Like I enjoyed the hell out of Rule The Waves which is not really a 4x, but has two distinct layers.

The Strategic layer is extremely simple turn to turn; largely you are reacting to events, balancing the budget, designing new ships and approving new construction. Most of this is not done on each turn, so turn to turn goes extremely quickly.

The tactical layer ranges from you micromanaging every ship or just setting a formation and heading for your fleet and adjusting it as you need to; you can fight Jutland in about 20 minutes if you accelerate time to contact and out of contact.

These layers interact in numerous important ways that your decisions directly impact, and neither one wastes your time.

But most importantly; I actually remember tactical battles in RTW from like 5 years ago because I was actually invested in the outcome.

Because I designed the ships, named them, chose the doctrine... and then the actual battle had enough random or interesting things happen like a squall allowing a destroyer group to get close enough to launch a torpedo attack that allowed my horribly outnumbered fleet to carry the day; or all of my lovely low freeboard budget battleship design floundering in an unexpected storm and like 4 of them sinking.

I refuse to believe that anyone remembers a specific moment from a Planetfall tactical battle vs. the AI.

ive always wanted to get into RTW but i know nothing at all about ships or how to design them

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jarvisi posted:

I'm guessing that RTW doesn't stand for Rome total war but I'm baffled and google isn't helping poo poo

Rule the Waves

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

who the hell reads text in these games i just wanna push dudes around a map and make the numbers in the cities go up

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Quixzlizx posted:

I'm sorry for replying to your "imaginary" rant about novel submissions in reply to my facetious joke about OP's use case, which you either foolishly thought was relevant or didn't think was relevant but decided to get on your soapbox anyway.

I hope 4x multiplayer empire bios don't start your vicious downward spiral as you desperately attempt to shield yourself from the corruption by lashing out against every meandering, overwrought blob of text.

drat chatgpt is gettin real good at snarky goon responses

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

are there any good games i can play on my ipad

Civ is on Ipad I believe

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

wdym?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ardryn posted:

Everyone knows the real place the action was at was the weird Elite knock-off game where you conquer/colonize poo poo by dragging entire starbases behind your ship and slamming them into enemy/empty planets.

what was this game

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

how is dom solo/ against AI?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think im good with CoE5 rn as a solo player but ill be keeping an eye on dom 6 development!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

LLSix posted:

The original Imperium Galactica (in dos box) is on sale for < $2. The sequel is on sale too (I haven't played this one).

I just finished the first rank/stage of the game. The graphics are challenging and dated, but still fun (make sure to set dos box to a 4:3 aspect ratio instead of the default). I played so much of this as a kid and never beat it, so maybe this is mostly nostalgia talking, but the game has a lot of style. The first several hours have a narrative story built in as you learn the ropes and face increasingly serious challenges. It's a lot of fun. The tiny little videos attached to most events add a surprising amount of charm. Some of the events will almost certainly kick your teeth in the first time. The event right after your first promotion is completely unfair, but that just makes it more fun to load up an early save (or restart) and figure out how to prepare properly.

I enjoy the mix of city builder and 4x elements a lot. But the mix of narrative and 4x elements in a way that works well is really rare.

just snagged this, looks like a ton of fun ty!!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

if i really like Stellaris Nexus is regular Stellaris worth getting into? Or are they very different?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

pedro0930 posted:

They are quite different. Stellaris Nexus is much more focused on doing objectives to secure victory points. There's not much customization, factions and leaders are all preset. No ship designer though, so that's good.

Thank you for the response! I think you may have misunderstood: Ive only played Nexus and wanted to try regular Stellaris. Is it like a more complex/customizable Nexus? A ship designer sounds fun, why do you say its bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

NMS will be a 4X when i can glass planets. they didn't add that already did they?

What game has the best planet-glassing? I always get such a kick out of building to the biggest ordninance in 4x games. I remember being a kid and rushing straight to the nukes in Civ.