Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
As some of you may be aware, there have been recent concerning events regarding the website’s owner.

If you want to read and discuss these issues, there are threads here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980&perpage=40

And here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928999&perpage=40

Thank you and god bless.

Edit:

This thread is now open for discussion.

Respect Logan Day as the accuser, and also LadyAmbien (I do not know her real name so I will use her forums name) as well, or you’re going to eat a ban.

Lightning Knight posted:

Alright, as well and good as it is to register for other websites, WampaLord made it pretty clear that you don't need to post here to get registered [to BnR], and we still have an ongoing domestic violence situation with the owner of the website that should be the focus here.

If you're coming to this situation late, refrain from posting images or documents about LadyAmbien/Ashli and her children with Lowtax if possible, because there are ongoing legal disputes related to that situation that you could inadvertently impact negatively. That doesn't mean you can't discuss it, but be mindful.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Giga Gaia posted:

oh its open now weird

I’m opening it before bed, if I wake up and find people smearing Day or LadyAmbien I’m going to perma you.

also yeah looks like Lowtax beats his girlfriends and wives, as he has been historically accused of. please consider not giving him money anymore if that’s a thing you do.

ok good night

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

so that mod April fools day thing m was a warmup right

inshallah

Peachfart posted:

I'm glad gbs was able to shame LK into opening this thread. gently caress Lowtax and all abusers.

I linked to your thread in QCS because I thought it was a good thread but gently caress it, if people want to talk about it all over the place he’ll have to ban everyone.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
nobody gives a poo poo about the stupid off-site or ZDR or forums squabbles or any of that poo poo right now.

this thread and the other ones exist because lowtax’s girlfriend and the lady who was running our front page has accused him of assault and domestic abuse and I believe her

don’t poo poo this thread up with other bullshit

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Oh Snapple! posted:

what if we catch someone treating this as a big deal after previously referring to accusations of sexual assault against one joseph r. biden as "slander" lol

idk you can yell at them about it in a different thread I guess who cares.

I can’t sleep now

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

oxsnard posted:

yeah it's hosed, but also LK those dingues in GBS making GBS threads on you are big dumbdumbs

goons need to cancel his patreon donations and then maybe he'll sell the site for a lark and gently caress right off

they are entitled to their opinions, and also I did not treat the issue as seriously as I should’ve of when I decided to be the first one to engage with it.

Lowtax hit his girlfriend and has been accused of abuse in the past by other partners. that’s why this thread exists, and that’s what we’re here to discuss. nobody gives a poo poo about other dumb poo poo right now.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Morbus posted:

we should just make 9000 threads about killing the president

oh my god lol

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BeefThief posted:

i didn't know about lowtax's personal history prior to this, and thought that by contributing to this site in the form of avs, donations, getting banned and rereging etc. that i was helping to keep the lights on. hearing that in reality lowtax was pulling in 8k/month from patreon and buying $100 mail order cookies with the money and beating up romantic partners is rather disheartening.

we’ve always felt like talking about these things in public would just result in Lowtax purging the mods and installing his own yes men. it’s happened before. we rationalized with how, that wouldn’t help the community, so we just hoped he would be satisfied with his Patreon money and go away.

today in many ways represents an inflection point where that is impossible. I love something awful and I’ve been a part of this community in one way or another for more than a decade now, literally since I was a younger teenager. I feel strongly about how it is a place with good people that has done good things for those posters.

but ultimately if the site will burn because Lowtax can’t help himself from being abusive to his family, then I guess that’s the way it goes.

I hope, vainly, that somehow this ends with the website intact but Lowtax, for whatever reason, having decided to simply go away. perhaps, we can make it impossible for him to ban the people he doesn’t like if it’s the entire forum.

but that’s probably naive. I’ve been thinking about what I might write for my own permaban message, so as to deny him that.

it is a sad day. I hope Logan Day is healing, however. that’s what matters, not the forum

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

shovelbum posted:

Admins need to leak the database

I don’t understand this request. to do what? I don’t think all the admins actually have database access, the way that it is handled is arcane and bizarre apparently.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Up Circle posted:

okay so what was teh hilarious upside?

In my original post in the other thread, I was referring to it being either funny or depressing that the mods did not know anymore than the users about the situation, not that the situation itself was funny. I was not posting as seriously as I should have and so I choose my wording poorly.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
some thoughts

1) as far as we are aware, Logan Day is currently safe

2) as far as I know, the person claiming to be her on KF is a fake

3) we’re looking into various options to try and resolve the situation in a way that maintains the forums without them answering to a man who abuses his spouses

4) if 3 fails, there is broad agreement among the mods that there is no going back to normal and we’re probably looking at a mass exodus

there may be formal announcements to this effect but that’s what I will tell you as of this moment.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

since we're not concerned about the FBI shutting us down anymore, can we go back to openly wishing for assassinations of government officials? tia

(this one's for you, QCS)

it’s the purge but for modding right now, do your bad posts now because I don’t give a poo poo (unless you’re racist or something I guess then I’ll still ban you later)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

net work error posted:

*In Obama voice*
Uhh, if you like your forums...you can keep it

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Agean90 posted:

Make the mod forum public u cowards

There’s little to no discussion of this issue in the mod forum, as it’s been happening elsewhere for what should be obvious reasons.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

the yeti posted:

his Patreon is down to 879 people from 946 earlier this morning :frogsiren:

:yeah:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The Nastier Nate posted:

legit is there any reason to stick around here before i part with my precious :10bux: over at https://breadnroses.net/

is there anychance lowtax is gonna step down or cash out or whatever or should i just admit to myself its time to move on?

we dunno yet.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Cael posted:

If we make a new thread solely for embedding hundreds of huge animated gifs does that increase the SA hosting charges?

probably not meaningfully but it may be funny so who can say if it would be good or bad really

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
also since people have asked and been mad, I have tried to be diplomatic on this issue because we’re in a scenario where we would like to see transition for the forums away from Lowtax, whether that be him stepping down or accepting a buy out off for the forum. So I have tried to post without being too antagonistic precisely because it may come down to us, the admins and mods, negotiating a business deal with Lowtax.

Or maybe he refuses outright. who knows.

(pls stop donating to his patreon)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Emacs Headroom posted:

Do y'all need capital / how in the heck are you figuring out the actual financial situation of SomethingAwful LLC? Does he at least have an actual accountant?

tbd

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Hopkins FBI posted:

This sounds like an abusive relationship.

it seems that is Lowtax’s specialty

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

That's doomed to fail and any price other than $10 for comedy purposes would be too much, and frankly I'm probably being generous with the $10.

Do what you think you gotta do, but I hope y'all can recognize when to just cut yourself loose.

either SA goes on without Lowtax or it doesn’t go on. no other options imo.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
live feed of the patreon:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tirade posted:

You got a twitter account or something similar on the off chance lowtax abruptly pulls the plug before the mod team settle on a plan / offsite?

I do have a twitter account under my forums name, but I’m not going to self-advertise. I’m not hard to find tho.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

QUEER FRASIER posted:

thanks LK for keeping us abreast of what’s going on and sorry you got treated like a forums riot cop in the GBS thread even though you technically are one

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

:nice:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

THS posted:

yeah ethically trying to pay off lowtax is pretty bad, even if it’s to get rid of him

oh it’s not that the idea of giving him money thrills us, it’s that it’s the path of least resistance at this time.

at the rate his patreon is going and how much his reputation is poo poo, it may not be very much money at this point either lmao

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Zerilan posted:

The writing style and content is almost identical to a literal kiwifarms post made earlier.

I don’t believe she wrote it, and if she did, I don’t believe she did so of her own volition.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

T-man posted:

I really hope his enablers from the last two times take accountability.

I see this is floating around and I will say that while I was a mod when the LadyAmbien incident occurred earlier, I didn’t participate because I understood it at the time to primarily be a custody dispute and didn’t want to get involved in something like that.

I also wasn’t aware of Lowtax’s older history in this vein until this most recent incident.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I can’t watch this at work, can anyone give me a summary.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Hellblazer187 posted:

Logan is crying and saying I'm not coerced and I lied because I'm an alcoholic and please don't ruin SA or Rich's life.

Jesus

I want you all, who know me as the baby mod, to remember she’s only a year older than me (26).

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Crusty Nutsack posted:

we know that she was "working" for free here, too. so while it was lovely he had a loving volunteer to try and fix the forums, it's clear now that it was also just another way to control and manipulate her too.

she’s like us, she’s been here forever and loves the forums too. that’s the one conversation I had with her.

it’s not clear to me if anyone still has contact with her and I have no updates at this time as to her status. I’m sorry.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Alright, as well and good as it is to register for other websites, WampaLord made it pretty clear that you don't need to post here to get registered, and we still have an ongoing domestic violence situation with the owner of the website that should be the focus here.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

SKULL.GIF posted:

so that video is like super SUPER concerning, is anything being done or are we all just in a holding pattern waiting for someone to act first

For reasons of safety there are things I haven't posted here but basically, contacting Logan has been made more difficult than simply sending her a text.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Has lowtax been asked to leave

Lowtax, to my knowledge, has not responded to us at all.

docbeard posted:

In a good way or in a bad way?

Bad.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Literally A Person posted:

Can someone please call the cops or something???

Cops rarely improve DV situations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Fellatio del Toro posted:

registered under the name Lightning Knight thank u

rude

I reiterate that this thread is not about recruiting for other websites, and you don't need to post that you registered to access the other site. Please stop using this thread for that.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Crossposting:

I know you mean well [to explore the option of doing a GoFundMe for Logan Day or LadyAmbien] and so I don't post this to be mean or anything but I don't see GoFundMe going well in this situation. Logan Day is still in the situation where she appears to be rationalizing her own abuse and isn't ready to break away yet, and LadyAmbien/Ashli has explicitly asked us, the mods, to try not to involve her in any forums drama to the best of our ability for the sake of her kids and ongoing legal trouble of her own.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
We just had someone able to speak to her a few minutes ago, finally. She's ok. I won't be sharing anymore detail than that for privacy reasons.

Edited for privacy reasons.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 25, 2020

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Giga Gaia posted:

hot off the gibbis folks

Please be mindful of sharing stuff about his kids or LadyAmbien, she is having trouble right now with immigration and other things that I won't elaborate on for her privacy, and doesn't want to be involved or have the kids involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I edited out that image of an email because it was requested by Ashli, please refrain if possible from posting stuff about her and her kids because she has ongoing legal disputes related to these topics, thanks in advance.