Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

GilliamYaeger posted:

It'd be nice if they just slapped some NPC heads on some existing identities and threw those at us. Blade Lineage, Kurokumo, and Warp Jannies, as well as Zwei, Shi and Seven mooks, would add some much-needed variety to the Dungeon. Maybe even a G Corp boss using Gregor's sprite.

Hell, you could have an event at the hard fights where you run into Kurokumo and Blade Lineage mooks facing off and have to either pick one to back (get either an EGO Gift or a level up) or fight them both (get both and another Sinner). Or you decide to take a WARP train and have to fight a couple waves of horrors and abnormalities before the WARP crew come in to clean up.

If Corroded EGO didn't only have one attack I'd also suggest having Corroded L-Corp employees be boss fights.

I assume part of it's them wanting to save content for future story chunks. (And also saving them for when they have a better grip on what makes a fun enemy to fight in Limbus Company.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

On one hand, Limbus Company feels like it's going to get the FGO treatment as far as crossovers go. It's probably going to be the de facto entry point for a niche franchise that takes itself pretty seriously when it wants to, so they're probably going to keep all crossovers in-universe to make sure they don't raise too many weird questions about the canon.

On the other hand, if Limbus Company does crossovers I want them to be so unexpected I'd never guess them in advance. Give me the weird poo poo like VA-11 Hall-A or Rainbow Six.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jossar posted:

Also, since my previous post is getting way too edit happy at this point: Is there any point to doing main missions after you've EX-d them? There's like, a little XP, but it doesn't seem like enough to be worth it over just spamming Mirrors for the rest of time.

Doing the "do three stages" daily and weekly missions without having to advance the story, mostly. Also the loading screen in mirror dungeons is based on what the loading screen for the last stage you did was, so you can get something fun if you care about that.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Honestly, I'm almost fine with what they probably intended with single coin skills in Limbus Company. Multi-coin skills can safely lose a coinflip or two but are going to have final numbers that are kind of mediocre, and single coin skills are big enough that their highs are going to blow out most attacks so you're fine if you can build your sanity up. The problem is that the numbers for a lot of single-hit skills just feel undertuned, so 3* IDs are the only ones who get one coin skills that feel like they're worth the risk.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jossar posted:

Gregor - Read, but a very long time ago - The first one of these where something's clearly off as mandated by the demands of the plot, and also so that Gregor isn't extremely miserable to be around. Somehow has a better relationship with Hermann than the novel's Gregor does with his family.

I will say, I do enjoy how Gregor's entire backstory is effectively him repeatedly waking up to realize he's been transformed into a monstrous pest. First waking up to realize he's an experimental child soldier with a horrible arm, then waking up to realize all his fellow soldiers are nothing but cannon fodder in an unnecessary war and deserting, then waking up to realize that the City at large treats all its veterans as nothing more than barely-metaphorical pests. Shows they care and didn't just pick Gregor because Cool Bug Man.

(I know I'm talking about the end of the first chapter, but the game's been out three weeks. It's still early enough for me to feel weird enough to spoil things every now and then.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

I mean, a lot of that depends on who you have. There's a few IDs I'd tell you to avoid uptying unless you really like the character or you're really desperate for more variety in mirror dungeon team comps because their gimmicks don't really work well, but a lot of it comes down to who do you have that can fit into a cool team comp and leveling up the ones who can.

(For the record, I mostly mean that for stuff like "all the W Corp cleanup crew besides Don gain Charge too slowly for that to matter" or "Shi Section 5 has no way to lower HP without everyone being half dead and stuck in a death spiral, so only level most of them if they seem fine without the HP requirement and Heathcliff's abilities may as well be blank". You know, the stuff that just doesn't feel like it does anything.)

EDIT: Also, Legerdemain's from the battle pass.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Junpei posted:

Shi Heathcliff's T3 skill lowers his HP on use.

And he needs to lose 3/4 of his health for two thirds of his kit to do anything. The problem with the bonus-at-low-health half of Shi Section 5 identities is that you're only realistically reaching them if they've already been staggered a few times, and if you've had units take that much damage you're in one of two positions. 1) You're in the middle of a death spiral and the enemies are just beating your rear end. 2) You've managed to wear them down as they were wearing you down and you can clutch out a win. The buffs they get generally aren't enough to bring you out of a death spiral by themselves, and most of the time you'd be in a better position when you're that beat up if you just had someone whose skills did more before they got beaten half to death by the enemies.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

It actually fits Ishmael, if you are a supporter of the theory that Ishmael is actually Ahab under a pseudonym.

Even if you don't, I feel like "wracked with PTSD after an embodiment of nature's power destroyed their ship and is now falling into the same patterns as Ahab" is a reasonably valid take on a post-voyage Ishmael, which is where our Ishmael would be. In any case, looking forward to when we get her proper story segment.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

AweStriker posted:

I’m mostly wondering… what triggers the first cutscene? Do you have to kill all three once?

Just killing the main one, afaik. You'll probably kill the other two along the way through clashing, but still.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Ariamaki posted:

Thematics: Greed may be one of the more common Sins of the City but it's not that of our Sinners.

Also, if you remove Greed most of its thematics just move to Lust or Envy so you aren't really losing anything. And Lust could always use more thematic range than just Horny, so I'm fine with sacrificing Greed to give it some.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Junpei posted:

Ishmael is Wrath, Gluttony, Gloom. Wrath will probably connect to Whale Rage, but this one I'm stumped on.

Ishmael is pretty simple, in my opinion? As you can see in the rest of your post, Gluttony is more about consuming obsessions than the ha ha fat joke angle most takes on the seven deadly sins take. Taken as a whole, Ishmael is someone who's still hosed up from the trauma of her voyage and she wants to find the Good Violence which will wrap up that whole chapter in her life and give her catharsis. But she isn't getting it, or even getting a shred of hope for how she could get it, so instead those urges bubble up as the occasional random violent outburst. She should get therapy to process this trauma, but this is the City. Instead of doing that, she's trying to post through it by acting like a serious professional, which means she's being a random agent constantly surrounded by violence in every timeline we've seen her in so far, which just makes her unfulfillable dreams of vengeance and violent inability to process it worse.

(Also, someone could probably make a similar effort post about what EGOs each character can use and what that means about them, but that person isn't going to be me.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Passives will probably be in roughly the same place after the update as they are now: a reward for building a team around reliably getting certain colors. These changes are mostly about either making ones that are too expensive cost enough to fit into a reasonable amount of optimization (as opposed to the stupid amounts you need to activate something like One Who Grips Faust's passive) or do things that just feel bad when you need to make a fancy chain to activate them at all (see: stuff like W Corp Mersault's defensive passive or Liu Gregor's Ignition).

In any case, Kurokumo and N Corp are the only identity groups with enough depth on how they apply status effects to really gel into a team by themselves (although Liu's close to joining them), so it's usually just worth picking people based on some combination of how good they are at clashing and how good their moves are at building up their team members' EGOs. This usually means you end up making a team with multiple people from the same group, just because they tend to share colors and are able to pay for each other's current EGO colors, but still. (And Mirror Dungeon passives make it a lot easier to build around things like damage type or status effects, but you don't need me to tell you that.)

EDIT: And Don/Faust getting Charge EGOs means W Corp is kind of starting to gel into a team with synergies and not just three people with similar mechanics? Point is, more sets of identities are going to work as a team as the game develops.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 3, 2023

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

On top of what everyone else said about Impending Days already, let's remember the simple things. Demian is the story of Emil Sinclair learning about the nature of the world and when our Sinclair is overwhelmed he either shuts down or tries to get rid of the problem with overwhelming violence. Impending Day is about the nature of the world (the inevitability of fate, etc) and getting rid of things with overwhelming violence. They just mesh thematically.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

studio mujahideen posted:

apparently turning off post processing really improves performance, that might help?

I've been having the same problem on my Pixel 6A and turning off post processing did make my phone run cooler than it did previously, but it didn't actually solve the problem. It lasted longer than previously, but that just means hanging for five seconds when the EGO splash art first pops up and then crashing instead of crashing as soon as it hits that part of the animation.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

studio mujahideen posted:

Shows up for me, but im not sure if we're getting another set of story IDs before the season ends, so I'm unsure if I should use it now

We're getting another story chapter before the season ends (unless the roadmap breaks entirely), so I assume we're getting a few more banners.

EDIT: Or maybe I misread the whole thing and completely forgot when this season ends.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 7, 2023

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

BTW, they walked back on showing the turn count right? Or will it be once the event ends.

And is Kurokumo Rodion worth enough to uptie? Wondering if to go for her or Seven Yi Sang to finosh my ID upthreads to focus on EGOs next like Fluid Sac or Ebony Stem.

She's the 'worst' Kurokumo unit, but the sanity fixes and making her passive not require two Gloom actions on the same turn she has 5+ Poise and actually uses her counter to do anything make her "get Poise, make a single huge hit" playstyle actually do something. Not that she was bad before, but she isn't as held back by being so single-coin focused as before.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

BisbyWorl posted:

I can see it being useful if they ever do a fight that's one wave that's just a boss, giving Impending Day no kills to feed on.

Honestly, I can see it being a good tool for mirror dungeons in general. You can get through most fights without ever needing to use an EGO in the first place, and when you do it's probably to blow up one problem encounter fast. Mirror Dungeon runs either have weird/unoptimized sin types so you can't reliably use Impending Day, or you have enough EGO Gifts giving you resources that Impending Day is overkill. I don't know if Lifetime Stew's going to make it into many optimized team comps, but it seems fine as an alternative option that may fit better into a random team.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Whether a gacha is good or not depends on the game as a whole, more than just looking at the flat rates. Having a high SSR rate doesn't help if getting enough free currency to roll is a pain in the rear end. Having a pity system that lets you get your first copy of a unit easily doesn't help if you need to pull five copies of them to make them useful. For FGO, the rates aren't great and the pity system is a joke, but the rate you get F2P quartz is steady enough and the amount of extra rolling you need to do to make a character usable is low enough that I would call its gacha more arbitrary than bad.

Similarly, people don't say Limbus' gacha is good because the gacha itself is good. They say it's good because the devs are generous with currency for rolls and the rate they hand out ego shards means it's easy to get stuff you missed. All of that could change, but it's a good start.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 19, 2023

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I can't see the amount of shards you can get being the same come season 2, definitely expecting the BP crates being reduced to like 1 or the crates only having 1 shard instead of 1~3.

Would be nice to be proven wrong though, but those are my predictions.

My assumption is that they aren't going to make the BP crates worse because that would be a really bad look, but they will make the battle pass longer and more staggered so you only get the 4.2 stuff when 4.2 comes out, which means there's less room for getting infinite shard crates through daily play.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Honestly, the trope is universal enough that it worked anyway. And I did laugh at "wait, those were pizza coupons, she just didn't like chicken".

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Pigbuster posted:

My main question about the titular Limbus company is... what exactly does it do? The beginning of the game gives the impression that this is a newly formed, ragtag group that requires Dante's power to function at all, but then you gradually learn they have sponsors, and connections, and an entire forward team, and seems to somehow have made some kind of a name for itself even before getting Dante. It's very weird.

Until proven otherwise, I'm just assuming Limbus Company is in startup mode. We've gotten a lot of investor money to do big and ill-defined things, but because we're still laying the foundations and spinning up to do whatever we're trying to do they don't expect a return on it yet. Emphasis on yet.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

The main thing I'd point to right now is the importance of variety in your grind. And yes, having multiple event currencies helps with that in FGO, but the real source of variety there is that well-designed events are structured in a way where you're grinding at A for a few days, then grinding at B, then grinding at C until you have everything you care about. Compare that to this event, where you're just grinding one node from the start of the grind to when you finally stop and the final boss is just hard enough that you can't really diverge from your best team comp/approach to the mirror dungeon once you figure it out. It's just a very monotonous grind if you're the kind of person who needs to pay attention to the game when you're grinding.

And again, I do have faith that future events will be better about this. At the very least, it's so much easier to have a variety of content when you have more content in the game in the first place.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Huh, y'all are really comparing FGO favorably to this? I don't really mind the grind here to the point I am still kinda enjoying running the dungeons and I thought that the main reason for that was that I was used to various FGO grinds that were almost uniformly worse.

A few points, just to be clear.
1) I'm mostly comparing Limbus to FGO because FGO's the only other gacha with this format I've seriously played.
2) I'm also the kind of person who buys out the half of the shop I care about and then just stops seriously doing anything with the event, I'm not a completionist for this kind of thing.
3) The point where I get tired of the grind in any FGO event is when the game goes "now just run this node twenty times". The difference between good event grinds and bad event grinds is bad grinds have that point before I get everything I care about and good grinds have it at the end when you're just mopping up the shop.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Notably, I think it implies in his Liu Identity that the prosthetic is because they helped him remove the bug arm.

Personally, I think it's more notable that the line Sous Chef Gregor gives you when you leave him idle on the main screen too long implies that he didn't lose his arm because it's a bug monster, he just lost it because it's good meat and he works in the cannibalism industry. That would mean that really foundational backstory elements can diverge between IDs as long as the end point is similar enough, and that raises some interesting questions.

(Of course, that's also the version of Gregor that's the most likely to lie about his background just to be offputting, but still.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

KazigluBey posted:

It's confirmed that the next ID drop is the last because the Season ends and boxes/shards get converted, right? Or is it the penultimate?

When they updated the roadmap to account for Chapter 4's delay they didn't insert a second banner in before the next season or anything. It's pretty certain that Sinclair's going to be the final Season One banner.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

-10 sanity per skill use is an absolutely humongous number though, that's the same sanity cost as Legerdemain. The numbers on the skills would have to be absolutely ridiculous to justify them costing the same as ZAYIN E.G.O.

You say that, but EGOs have a sanity cost because most IDs need to win coin flips to win clashes. The (probable) point of Sinclair's kit is that he wins clashes by losing coin flips, or at minimum wins them despite losing coin flips. Sanity costs mean a lot less given how his numbers are most likely going to turn out.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

He absolutely is going to have coins that reduce clash power on heads, that's a thing with some N Corp Enemy Units already, and he already has it on both of his non-starter EGO.

I realized he might not have that halfway through my post, despite it feeling really obvious he could, but at minimum he's going to have skills with high base numbers and low coin modifiers so tails don't actually hurt him much. It would be so weird to give him this kit and not do that much.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Junpei posted:

In what way should Poise be buffed?

Counts of Poise go down 1 between turns and by 1 when a crit happens, would you remove the former or the latter? Should Poise Potency boost crit rate by 10% instead of 5%? Should critical hits do more damage?

Honestly, if you just made it not tick down between turns it'd be fine, or if it was "you have four units of Poise, next turn you have three" instead "you have one unit of 4 points of Poise, next turn you have zero". Maybe make crits a bit more noticeable if you want to make it feel better, but that's the main thing for me. The core idea of "you get Poise so the rest of your coins this turn are more likely to crit, and if you don't some of them will stick around for future turns" is fine, they just degrade too easily. And that's without skills like Kurokumo Rodion's where your poise will disappear before you get the chance to use it 99% of the time.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Theantero posted:

We're raising the bar for Praxis pretty high if organizing a lefty organization with actual presence (even if it's not Big League presence) in a place like the City is not enough to lift us from the armchair, methinks :v:

If he didn't want to called an armchair intellectual, he shouldn't have spent so much time telling Rodion to sit down and think more.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

StuffyEvil posted:

I'd imagine that her being a good behavior is her end of the deal (along with maybe some other stuff), as for what Don gets in return, I feel it's something not just her getting to meet a multitude of high grade / Color Fixers, but possibly something pertaining to her past (of course, like for all the other Sinners).

In fact, we can reasonably theorize the deals for the other Sinners.

I think you may be overthinking this somewhat when you apply this to other characters. Don is, well, a manic weirdo with a Fixer fixation and oddly colored eyes. She's in a unique place to make a notable deal with Vergilius/Limbus in general. When you apply this to the other sinners, they all boil down to "they were at a bad point in their life and they needed a job". We have a term for that kind of deal, it's the terms of employment. Sure, Faust and (probably) Yi Sang being hired to make the weird tech this game hinges on is different from Meursault and Hong Lu (probably) needing to get away from the things that happened in their previous employers/family is different from Rodion and Sinclair having their old home destroyed, but it's still just people being hired by a company. At some point you're just describing motivation in a slightly weird way.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Cyan - Gloom. Okay, Gloom isn't a sin, and Cyan isn't a color of the rainbow. But Indigo is a bullshit color, so you have to do something, and this is a fine pick, and it's a kind of sad blue.

As a random historical note, gloom (well, being despondent) was one of the major sins before they were standardized by Pope Gregory I. So really, it's a perfectly fine set of alternate sins. It's just a timeline where greed got rolled into lust instead of despair being rolled into sloth.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

KazigluBey posted:

What constitutes Seasonal IDs, anyway? The one ID and one EGO tied to Hell's Chicken that you can spark?

They'll say what season they're attached to next to the ID name. Basically, if they're based on someone you meet in a given season's chapters, they're tied to that season. Lobco Faust is based on Yuri, all the N Corp IDs are tied to Chapter 3, etc. And frankly, judging by the infographics they've put out, it's less relevant than you'd think.

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1644254378415751168

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Junpei posted:

I was going to ask if people thought there were S2 IDs and EGO that were just going to be quietly added to the gacha and/or battlepass when the season swapover happened, no fanfare or banner whatsoever.

These EGOs are the coolest poo poo aesthetically, making one of them the cool EGO at the end of the battlepass is the natural choice.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Is it only me that find the new Identities lacks Oomph in their attack? Like, I dunno, their attack seem to lack momentum or something.

I agree, but now that we know they're Tremor IDs it may just be that they're designed with the Burst effects in mind to give them more punch.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

L.U.I.G.I posted:

I mean they are kinda right to be scared. Even though the game doesn't make much money as compared to other games, it still is the cleanest product I've seen in a while. No Fanservice (Sexual kind, otherwise the game is full of reference), a plotline that make sense and is fun to watch, etc. Other may have once exuded this level of purity but have since fallen down the hole of fanservice and whatnot (Looking at you Guardian Tales).

"This is the cleanest gacha game on the market."

*had to blur out chunks of the last set of EGOs on Twitter due to excessive gore*

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1658052012347625473

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

I feel like there's room to make Sanity spike slower than this, but the version they reverted felt weird. I'm just hoping they attempt to find a midpoint in a future patch.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Tricky posted:

I think the middle ground they proposed before the hotfix looked pretty good, but there's clearly a ton of pushback even to that if they're dropping 1300 compensation sanity and a hotfix.

To be fair, "we're never touching this again" and "we'd rather have people use the too-generous system over the not-generous-enough system until we figure out a better alternative" are identical until they actually start poking at Sanity again. I still think we're going to get something close to that middle ground at some point, but for now all we know is that they're generous.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Theantero posted:

I mean, technically they're only saying the stats are being adjusted, right? It could not be a nerf, technically (it's going to be a nerf)

And Fairy Ishmael is doubly funny because LCCB already has such strong Tremor support. Then again, maybe PM just wants Ismael to have a Tremor Identity available every season, who knows.

Strong Tremor support whose burst helps you synergize with Rupture teams, even. It's just LCCB but with a better first skill and no interesting mechanical touches.

(I'm genuinely kind of sad about how boring Sloshing Ishmael is.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

RandomReader posted:

Sloshing is more like a Tremor focused base Ishmael than spinning off of LCCB. Low coin counts, no ammo, ability to fuel her base EGO.

Okay, there is some tactical choice between picking LCCB for four good rounds of Tremor/Rupture support across the whole fight vs Sloshing for smaller but consistent* support across longer fights. But also, look at N Corp Don or Rosespanner Meursault. Their skills are "we apply Status Effects X and Y, and if there's enough we get a little bonus", and that's enough to make their skills feel like there's some skill to using them. Sloshing Ishmael's skills are just "I apply Tremor, I apply Tremor, I burst Tremor and apply Rupture :effort:", and skills like that are boring as piss. They might be fine in practice if the numbers are high enough, but that isn't enough to make them feel good.

*Single coin skills are kind of a liability in the early rounds of a fight, but maybe this is the ID where they get the numbers right.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Could someone explain to me why lengermain is so good?

It's cheap, it does a big chunk of AoE damage, it splashes a bunch of paralysis and either tremor or DoTs across the enemy team, Gregor IDs are generally good at charging it by himself, and it has a much more useful passive than his base ID.