Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

For the two people who care in this thread (AKA me and NikkolasKing), the PV for Hanyo no Yashahime dropped, and it starts airing on 10/3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM_fkwDB-Xg

Am I the only one who already thinks this looks better than Boruto?

We've got the voice cast as well:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...3-debut/.162670

Actually looks pretty good so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m personally hoping we see a few more familiar faces pop up later down the line as well. Out of curiosity, does Rumiko Takahashi have anything to do with this new series besides providing a few character designs?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

verbal enema posted:

oh poo poo I gotta see that

It doesn’t exist I’m afraid. I think the movies for those respective shows were just double billed with each other at the time, that’s all.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

Kissanime is also down.

Correction, Kissanime is officially dead along with Kissmanga (though Kissasian, Kimcartoon, and unaffiliated sites like 9anime and GoGoanime appear to still be fine). Anybody know of any other decent anime streaming sites besides those two (and Crunchyroll of course though they don’t have quite the selection as a lot of the unofficial ones do)?

Looking it up, apparently Japan has tightened its piracy laws recently so it’s possible a lot of other unofficial anime streaming sites might not be far behind.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 15, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

im pretty sure thats the season where a villain of the week is a literal, actual active volcano. like not corrupted. just a volcano.

also yeah the manga (and crystal) had very little characterization for anyone who wasnt usagi. there's a few characterization beats i like more, minako is treated way more as the second in command with a serious side in the manga, but by and large the manga is more interested in bouncing from romantic drama to romantic drama. the 90s anime sort of has that same plot structure, but it gives things time to breathe.

plus even as one of the four characters who actualy gets screentime in the manga, mamoru is still a way better character in the anime, where hes actually allowed to be funny and kind of lame. he feels like a much better fit for usagi.

That’s why I kind of like the live action Sailor Moon series, it’s pretty low budget but in my opinion it kind of combines the best of both worlds (including expanding on some stuff from the manga and adding plenty of new twists of its own).

That said, SuperS notwithstanding I generally still vastly prefer the 90’s series over the manga as the characters feel a little more fleshed out in some ways (also manga Rei is kind of dull all things considered).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 16, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

I've seen this getting spread around. How serious is this?

https://twitter.com/shotaroparado/status/1294719385844756481

Well I know Kissanime and Kissmanga already got permanently taken down because of this (though every other unofficial streaming/manga site appears to be unaffected so far) but otherwise not sure.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huzzah! posted:

I mean, you wouldnt download an Anime, would you?

In this case? Yes, in fact (that’s basically how a lot of people got access to a good chunk of anime back in the day)

I am hoping this means more stuff will become legally available on places like Crunchyroll and the like but we’ll see.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This doesn’t mean the online Viz manga releases are going away does it? I assume not as that’s a legal website but I’m not sure how strict this new copyright law is going to be.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't think it's too much to worry about if you're not in Japan. They're not going to deport you for a torrent.

E: Also, Kissanime shutting down wasn't due to these new laws since they're not coming into effect until January.

In that case, why did it suddenly happen now as opposed to years ago?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Does this mean the fansub community is effectively dead though (I think most of the original raws are uploaded by someone already in Japan but I could be wrong)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

now that something is illegal, nobody will do it

Ah right, stupid question. In that case, I’m not entirely sure what will actually change because of this then.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Doesn't this only affect print media? I guess this does expose scanners to more liability.

Huh, so it does. Curious why they’re not cracking down harder on anime piracy as well then.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Im real depressed that Kai couldn’t use the super obviously stolen track from Z’s original OST, poo poo slapped hard.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eMYt9sGOcTU

I believe Kai was also unable to use Spirit Vs Spirit from the original Gohan Vs Perfect Cell fight later on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pootybutt posted:

Did anybody ever bother subbing OG Pokemon back in he day, or was it always that obvious it would get picked up and localized?

A handful of episodes of the original season have been subbed as far as I’m aware but things didn’t really pick up in regards to that until around Diamond & Pearl.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wark Say posted:

But are we talking Yu-Gi-Oh we's all familiar with or Yu-Gi-Oh Zero as some people have called it?

Mangawise they’re both the same series. “Season 0” as some call it was produced by Toei and covered the first portion of the manga (albeit still a bit toned down) while the anime most people are familiar with started from the point where the Duel Monsters card game took over the entire series and went from there.

Even in the Japanese version, both shows were heavily sanitized compared to the original manga.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another topic, is Fire Force any good? I heard the guy behind Soul Eater was involved with it but don’t know much beyond that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Soul Eater manga was better than the anime but I enjoyed it for the most part. The prequel series Soul Eater NOT was ok as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Are you maybe talking about Soul Eater NOT? Because Soul Eater proper is a downright battle shonen, I dunno what you're talking about.

Yeah, the whole school setting is barely a factor in the original Soul Eater while NOT pretty much exclusively takes place at or around said school.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

what is BNA? I heard it once but I keep thinking of Boku No Hero Academia. :v:

Brand New Animal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BNA:_Brand_New_Animal

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Nanoha is arguably more a classic Magical girl show than Precure is

In what sense? The series premiered a few months after Futari Wa did.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Julias posted:

And of course you had sailor moon before both of them, with its first anime starting in March 1992. It is literally older than me.

Hell, the concept of Magical Girls in general can be traced all the way back to 1953 with a manga called Princess Knight:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Knight

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Aurora posted:

i'm optimistic about dynazemon

We still don’t have a release date for that yet do we?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Aurora posted:

the madoka mobage's english version is shutting down for some inexplicable reason

how did they not make money

Is the Japanese version of Magia Record still going though?

Hopefully this won’t effect the production of the second season of the anime (hell, finishing the story in anime form might even be better honestly).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

1) the content the anime would be adapting is already in both the jp and eng versions of magireco. that story is complete. the jp version started a second story arc recently.
2) yes its still going, so the anime should be unaffected

Ah, I never played the mobile game so I wasn’t sure how far along the story was currently. Good to know.

When will the english version be shutting down out of curiosity? Or has it already happened?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also out of curiosity for those who played it, how much story is left to cover at this point (for the first arc at least) from where the first season of the anime left off?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It would be nice if they could revive the anime as well as there’s a few stories they never got around to covering but we’ll see.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 31, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Black Mage Knight posted:

Wait, Haruhi didn't end with novel 11? Btw this means there was a 7 year gap between releases.

Well it’s not entirely unprecedented (Slayers started up again a little while ago after a long hiatus after all).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I still don’t understand why they felt the need to waste 8 episodes of an already very small season on an arc that could have been done in like 2 or 3 tops (especially when there were better stories they could have adapted in place of that).

That said, I still wouldn’t mind an anime revival one day since like I said, there’s still a bit of ground they haven’t covered (also Disappearance felt more like the prelude to a new story arc as opposed to the end of the series).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

So with Haruhi, Bleach, Shaman King and Inuyasha making a come back, what will be the next beloved 00's manga/anime to return?

Please let it be a remake of the BoBoBo-BoBo-BoBo anime that actually covers the entire manga, and brings back the references and blood that were in the manga

A new Slayers anime (or at least a movie or OVA)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’d also like to see a Soul Eater remake that actually covers the whole manga.

Out of curiosity, did the same thing happen with NOT or is that more or less a faithful adaption of the manga version?

Also, bring back Ranma 1/2 as I don’t believe the entire manga was ever fully adapted into animation.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 31, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

NOT is pretty faithful.

But yes, I'm marking out for a new season of Slayers announced for the anniversary. That or Outlaw Star

Not sure what the other actors on both sides of the pond are up to these days but I’m pretty sure both Megumi and Lisa would jump at the chance to play Lina again (hell, they basically did in an episode of the Pokemon Sun & Moon anime).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’ve heard Cagliostro is a good Ghibli movie but out of curiosity, how is it as a Lupin movie in general?

While we’re on that subject, are there any other Lupin III movies that are worth seeing?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 3, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Shaman King reboot mentioned a little while back will begin April of next year, here’s a trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=cp6stP2xLdk

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kild posted:

I hope they change the last arc in the manga.

I forget, what was wrong with the last arc of the manga and was the ending of the original anime any better?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kild posted:

The manga had them basically give up twice and lose until a train of all your friends and the bad guys mom shows up and tell him to stop being a bad The Anime didn't even get past like the 2nd phase of the tournament and ended in just a battle with the bad guy. The biggest gripe I have with the final arc is it introduces power levels and it's pretty much absolute.

Ah. Speaking of which, is the current manga sequel any good?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Also Robot Precures!

Near as I can tell, there are no rules regarding that anymore. Adults can be Precure, men can be Precure, robots can be Precure, fairies can be Precure, space aliens can be Precure, and whatever Asumi from the current season qualifies as can be Precure as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, the first season of Detective Conan/Case Closed is coming to Crunchyroll:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-09-17/crunchyroll-adds-case-closed-anime-1st-season-to-catalog/.164160

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

actually random aside speaking of anime that got more episodes because of western fans, Sonic X had its third season commissioned by 4kids. It was animated in Japan still and some of the original anime's staff returned, but the third season didn't air in Japan or get a Japanese dub until super recently - I think like 2019? Interesting case, since Big O season 2 still aired in Japan.

As I understand it, the third season actually aired in France first (though I believe the Japanese audio track may have been recorded beforehand), then it was dubbed in other countries including America and finally the Japanese version was released via streaming services a few years ago.

That said, Season 3 did actually finally air on Japanese TV but not until literally March of this year.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 19, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Motto posted:

Wait, if Sonic X didn't have a Japanese dub or airing, what was that unedited version of S3's ending (where Tails gets way more emotional than in the dub) that I saw years back as a kid? :psyduck:

Sonic X Season 3 did have a Japanese dub which I just mentioned above. The uncut version of the show with the scene you described aired in France and other countries while 4Kids trimmed a bunch of stuff for the US release.

I believe all 78 episodes are still available subbed on Hulu (or some official streaming service at least) if you were ever curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Motto posted:

Ah, I missed the part about the French airing using Japanese audio, thanks.

Ah, no I meant the Japanese audio was likely recorded first but just never used for a while. The French version was dubbed into French but is uncut and basically a direct adaptation of the Japanese script (though interestingly in their version of the anime Eggman is still called “Robotnik”).

That said, I believe a Chinese DVD release of the season included a Japanese voice option which is how some people in the west first saw it. As I said, it was eventually put up on a Japanese streaming service and finally aired on TV over there in March of this year.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 19, 2020