Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
On the “so close but probably shouldn’t” front:

There was an e-tron out here for 59k and 0 apr, but it got snatched up and as of now there aren’t viable L2 chargers to get from northern Utah to california, which is my arbitrary benchmark for owning only EVs.

Has anyone’s mileage threshold gone down since the pandemic started? I think I’m honestly cool at 250. We have a leaf, but one car being able to do 250 with charger support would be fine imo.

Juuuuust maybe not 205. :/

Edit:

RZA Encryption posted:

I wish I could buy a 2 door EV bronco

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE, THIS.

(Also, I’m looking up EV crate motors for that very same purpose. We are so close to it being viable!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Do a 3 year, leasing is at best a temporary situation with many pitfalls and an emerging EV is one of the only good cars to do it with.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

priznat posted:

Back when I was growing up leases were always seen as a terrible idea unless you could write it off for work reasons, but is that not the case now with how pricey cars have gotten?

I must say there is an appeal to me to be able to just hand the keys over after 3 years and pay about the same I would have making finance payments.

Basically this, with the addition of supporting EVs on the road but not committing to the pain of early adoption and limited features.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
What in the BLUE gently caress happened to the headlights?!?!

The earlier spy photos looked so much better. :(

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Shai-Hulud posted:

They...are taped over because for some reason they think it's necessary to keep some sort of camo on the car.

I guess that’s okay. I was gonna say, I honestly like the look of it until that photo, but to be honest I didn’t look the photo over that critically.

I don’t know how I’m going to secure one here in the US, but I want one.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
I’m assuming available in the EU on 9/22, but in the US... q4 2020?

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

RZA Encryption posted:

I wanna see it next to a bolt. I think it looks real good, and I absolutely hate that they aren't bringing it over.

I have resigned myself to my fate of joining the crossover masses with the ID 4. Which I can’t wait to slam down a hundo to configure in 3 weeks

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

To be clear: this is a bunch of license plates taped/ratchet strapped in the car?

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
I reserved an id4. Excited about it. 250 does what it needs to and is 25 miles more than my personal comfort level on range anxiety.

Doing awd and waiting until mid 2021 though.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Same. Put a reservation down on an AWD model. Going to likely be between that, the XC40 electric or the Ariya for our next car.

Those are the three we are looking at too: we have a gen 1 leaf and it is... fine. If I can not Nissan then I’m going to not Nissan.

I love volvos but I’m worried the price point for the xc40 is too high for us. Id4 meets what I want and the knowledge that I know service will be a bit more typical.

Edit: I’d say I’d do the Mach e but... ehhhhhhhhhhhh the price and I trust Ford dealers as far as I can throw them.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'll also give the usual "you probably don't need AWD" caveats

Agreed. FWD and actual, legitimate snow tires do the job very very well.

That being said RWD in the winter is a nightmare where we live sooooo

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Hexigrammus posted:

Welp, after a bit of searching I guess I might as well launch The Great AI EV Winter Driving Derail of 2020.

I'm going to buy a second set of rims since we're planning to keep the car for a while. Unfortunately I've misplaced some of my bookmarks with tire recommendations. Efficiency reductions aren't something we're worried about. I believe the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 were highly recommended.

I've had good performance from Blizzaks on the Smart Car and Michelin whatever-they-are on the F250. Not sure how much you can extrapolate from them to an EV though. I expect the Scandinavians might have some opinions. If anyone knows about crappy winter weather it should be them.

We are going to do the hakkapelittas this year, pretty excited. That’s cool for people who had success with RWD! My wife grew up where we live, and while not a WE MUST HAVE AWD person, she is big on no RWD in snow based on experience. The leaf honestly hasn’t been bad, but snow tires for us will be big given how much snow falls out here and how intensely when it does. If we are going 5,000 feet up a narrow canyon with a very high chance of avalanche, I’d rather go with her experience.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Just gonna say it: we are fully Clockwork Oranging at this point. That thing WILL kill more people than other cars will.

As will Cybertruck. If/when it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Why did BMW look at that meme of their grills getting worse and worse and go

...yeah okay sounds good