Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Gimme an eTransit. Going to put solar panels on it. Get 5 miles of charge every week.

Also, has anyone seen a Rivian in the wild yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I still desire the forbidden Honda e.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

DoomTrainPhD posted:

That's all I got! :argh:

Did you get the green interior? I love that one.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Hawkperson posted:

same, this is a totes appropriate thread for it and I enjoy reading about it. also, more discussion of car colors is welcome imo. Did I mention my Leaf is sparkly blue? a no joke important part of my pre-purchase considerations.

Why would Rivian talk go somewhere else? Is there a secret diesel generator in the corpse tunnel?!

Also, how sparkly we talking? Like, carnival-ride-big-huge-metal-flake sparkly?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Gorgeous Porsche.

Hawkperson posted:

nah more like this: but I love it very much

Also I went on Nissan's site to see if they had a decent pic of it (they don't), and holy poo poo they slashed prices on the 2022 Leafs. The same battery/trim as I got is now literally $5k less and even the highest trim/biggest battery is $37k MSRP before rebate. So uh spending $40k on a Leaf is even more uh, wow than I thought lmao

That is still drat sparkly! Very nice.

Fame Douglas posted:

Most ice cars have fake engine noise as well, it's not some new thing Mazda invented. And among EVs, it's pretty widespread, too.

But most people already ignore your posts?

The BMW Z4 had a plastic tube that piped engine noise towards the driver. I think that was the first I read about something like that?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

atomicpile posted:

It’s a cheap around town vehicle that I got really really cheap. Cheap being the key word here because it takes a lot to even get me to consider an off warranty German car.

One I got has a “range extender” which is a gasoline scooter motor under the trunk that does its best to maintain the charge of the battery when it gets low and isn’t connected to the wheels. Range extender is probably the least efficient way to do a hybrid. But it was really really cheap for a low mileage well equipped car. Can’t emphasize cheap enough because there’s no other way I’d even look at one no matter how nice it is otherwise.

I have a 60 mile round trip commute. No charger at work. Does that sound like too much for an old i3?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah, but it’s not MX-5 enjoyable. It’s not even Fiesta ST enjoyable

Is there any EV that's small and enjoyable like that?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Pretty much any *checks notes* Stellantis product is off the table, due to horrible reliability, and the inability of fiatsler mechanics to fix said problems.

It hurts to say that, since my family loved Chryslers.

Wayne Knight posted:

Have you heard the good news about the Chevrolet Spark EV?

Wow, they're selling for ~$3k more than what I paid for mine 5 years ago.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...e&numRecords=25

Fun as hell, good "around town" range, and the DCFC (if equipped) is fast due to the small battery (19-21kWh depending on year).

If you have a second car and can be honest about your 95% use case for transportation, the Spark EV is an incredible option.

I had not! That sounds cheap and good.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I didn’t know that acknowledging that FCA/Stellantis/Chrysler/FIAT has a decades-long history of selling lovely, low-quality cars with poor reliability and durability was a thread sin

But I‘ve got 6 pages worth of posts ITT full of pertinent content, EV-specific discussion, advice based on research and experience, and so forth eat me

i3 is pretty drat fun, basically drives like a BMW should

I am very tempted by the i3, because I love the Giga World's goofy late-80's conference room interior.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Gorgeous. No really, I love it.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
eTransit now? How about now?

Now?

I just really, really want to make a solar-powered vagrant home camper van.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah the rear does not have much height for cargo. Plenty of headroom in the back seats, but it rakes down pretty sharply after that, and with the rear seats reclined all the way you REALLY lose cargo space.

Yeah basically optical illusion, they don't feel any different from any car seat i've seen, it just looks funny.

Dragging this back to ask about the green interior. I can't find that option on Kia's site. Special edition?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

That would be the first edition (limited run)

Curses, it's lovely. Not enough color in car interiors these days.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

Buddy, my preferred vehicle class is "coupé, preferably with frameless windows." Let me tell you about being in the minority and probably never finding/affording a preferred vehicle...

Here's an EV coupe with frameless windows:

https://www.miniusa.com/model/special-editions/electric-collection.html

(also lol at remembering twenty years ago when mini had one of the best websites of any auto manufacturer. Also a fun small car.)

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Just reading about the BMW iX, the car won’t let you open the hood if you’re not a service technician, lol. There are workarounds online, and the badge flips open to fill the washer fluid.

Seems extremely bmw somehow

Just slap this on the entire hood:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The charging thing I'm speaking of is this: https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/living-electric/home-charging-installation - did you have problems with it?

Yeah when I take trips like I've mentioned most of the time they are leisurely. I guess I'll decide on a rental depending on the trip itself.

Also thanks for the thoughts on getting something larger like a Mach E but the Bolt is really in that sweet spot of physical size and range. Being in San Francisco I simply don't want or need a car that is almost 2' longer than the bolt.

If you're okay with used, or can get a warrenty, you might want to look for a BMW i3 without the range extender, or a Mercedes B-Class electric. Despite the brands, they're both seemingly reasonably priced on the aftermarket, and fairly practical. Also the i3 Giga-World package gives it a neat interior.

Chaos options are the Fiat 500e, and the Mini Cooper SE.

bird with big dick posted:

9000 pounds, 0-60 in 3 seconds, and the visibility of a WWII pillbox. What could go wrong.

No one seems to be mentioning the relatively tiny back seat. Awful interior! A Hummer tradition!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

In my humble opinion, the best model of the vehicle is the one that I own(ed) and all others are inferior

Can you stick teeth around the nose?

Boom - shark mouth.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

GG this thread went from amusing dunking on some dumbassery to two of the more depressing pages of realtalk posts real quick.

Welcome to CSPAM!

... I am being informed this is the EV thread, and not CSPAM.

So how about that Hummer EV? Which of you is going to buy one?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Just realized my commute is now costing $12 a day, and I'm eyeing the new Leaves (Leafs?) on the local Nissan dealers lot. Going to assume they're marked up well over MSRP?

Local Volvo dealer has C and X 40 Recharges, but those are both out of the price range.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
The rest of the world gets another charming small ev:

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/gwm-ora/126kw-first-edition-48kwh-5dr-auto/first-drive

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
This is a long shot, but anyone heard experiences with refurbished Nissans?

This company does battery replacements on Leaves (Leafs?):

https://evridesllc.com/

If the Federal rebate still applies to 2022 models, it seems more cost effective to try and find a new Leaf for around MSRP?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

"The Silent Majority wants Hydrogen. They're just out of frame, demanding hydrogen, and an end to EVs."

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Vinfast is weird, they seem to be trying to go the kia/hyundai route but skipping over the cheap entry car phase or even the excellent value phase and trying to go straight for upscale phase with what sounds like a terrible product. They should have started with some bottom end budget models to compete with the Leaf/Bolt first!

The VF9 is astoundingly expensive in Canada, like into the realm of Volvo/BMW expensive. It's really baffling.

First read about them last month, and the questions just keep piling up.

Also Vinfast sounds like a sketchy diet supplement. Should have workshopped the name in the US a bit.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

The GT sounds like tons of fun.
Really hope the neon green accents are optional.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Hell no they should be mandatory

Kia agrees. They do look nice against black tho.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I want a Genesis GV60 so I can ponder my orb crystal sphere:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

I unironically love this weird little orb.

It would be motivation to keep the center console clean too so it wouldn’t get jammed on a stack of napkins spilling out of the cupholder.

Also lol thread title

By most accounts, the GV60 is the worst value, and possibly the weakest all together of the eGMP vehicles.

But here I am, considering a drive up to Seattle so that I may touch orb.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Squibbles posted:

Some Canadian company taking a stab at an EV. And of course going for our national pride by naming it after the Avro Arrow?

https://www.pcmag.com/news/canada-enters-the-electric-vehicle-market-with-project-arrow-debut-at-ces

So it will be an advanced design that gets scrapped and the company destroyed for mysterious reasons?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I am excited by the prospect of used EV prices tanking, but I know in my heart that dealers will never lower their markup.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Johnny's got the Ioniq 6. Looks pretty good imo.

I'm an easy mark for for the swoopy CLS-like styling, but if it's more expensive than the Ioniq 5, I'm going with the 5.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

knox_harrington posted:

Like 0.001% of car owners know what their trap speed is.

Thirst trap speed.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

TwoDice posted:

oops I bought an ix

Congratulations! And I can't help myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGqdE1NdMTg&t=24s

Failson fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 24, 2023

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
TopGear compared the id.3, MG4-ev, and Electric Renault Megane. They liked the Renault best on all fronts. Might bode well for the Nissan Ariya, though I'm not sure if how much the two share (wild guess: the Nissan is a rebadge).

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big-reads/big-electric-car-test-renault-megane-e-tech-vs-volkswagen-id3-vs-mg4-ev

cruft posted:

THREAD TOPIC CHANGE

We will now speculate on Nfcknblvbl's new car.

I think it's a 1978 Citröen 2CV with the drivetrain from his old Model 3 Performance.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
My Dad is getting interested in the Jeep plug in hybrids. I'm trying to encourage caution, because "Jeep" and "Trouble-Free" aren't words that go together. Is that still the case with Stellantis ownership?

Mahatma-Squid posted:

I made the mistake of going to their actual website, the loving thing will only be able to be registered as a UTV/OHV, it's literally a $136,000 toy designed to be flat towed behind whatever rig you're driving. It also includes an emergency backup charger that uses the propane tanks supposedly, which sure is a solution I guess.

Was not expecting the Residential Home-Flipper equivalent of an Aliexpress golfcart, but there it is.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Portland Auto Show! Kinda wasn't worth going!

No dealers brought any Genesis, so I was denied Orb Touching.

Also missing: Cadillac, Lexus.

General impressions: Every door sill feels huge now, and I have a hard time getting my tiny, stumpy legs over them.

Surprisingly nice: Chevy Bolt EUV.

Favorite all around: Hyundai Ioniq 5. Comfortable, love the style. One had a matte metallic gray paintjob that looked snazzy.

"Are you kidding me witht this price?" award: Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe. Over 70K, and even with an upgraded interior, it felt cheap inside.

The Leaf and Arya both seem like good cars. The Toyota Crown seemed bizzare, and I like it.

Mustang Mach-E felt tiny inside.

Tesla Model 3 had a great seat, but I hated the interior.

There was a BMW iX in black, and it looked sinister.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Ford, give us the Nucleon YOU COWARDS:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Nucleon

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Loucks posted:

That link led to a description of the Packard Astral and now I'm devastated at what might have been:

Oh my goodness, it's literally a Jetsons' car.

The rabbit hole continues with the Simca Fulgur.

For something from my own youth, I'm still disappointed cars don't look like the Pontiac Banshee 1988. The future sucks.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

cruft posted:

I can't find an AI thread on self-driving. I have opinions based on my personal experience but I know it'll drag this thread into another three-page slapfest.

This C-SPAM thread is for you: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862673

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
"Gee, I wonder why there are so many used i3's around?"

*reads how they eat their unique, $250-each tires like candy.*

"Oh, that's why."

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Is there anything wrong with the Cadillac CT6 plug-in-hybrid?

Apart from it being a rare GM product?

My commute is long enough that I'd be using the gas engine regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

cruft posted:

I don't think anyone here has any experience with it. You are now required to buy one and report back.

Make sure it's blue.

darnon posted:

Cadillac: "We keep trying to sell $70k+ PHEV sedans and no one is buying for some reason!"

Jimong5 posted:

I think the only thing wrong with it was the 76k MSRP

Thanks all. They're starting to show up around 30K with fairly low miles, some cheaper than Volts, which I don't get. ELR prices are heading up too. Why am I stuck on GM, you ask? Because it would fulfill my Dad's dream of having a big huge Cadillac in the family.

priznat posted:

Kinda disappointed the electric GV70 is ORB-less

I don't know how the GV60 even happened, but I'm glad it did.