Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://share.garmin.com/PakistanOnK2

If you're curious, one of the teams is <300m from the summit at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

The trick is to only pay your Sherpas on the way up. They have to go down too. Just follow them back down.

one weird trick to get your Everest adventure for half off! Sherpas hate it! [click here]

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 26, 2021

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Outrail posted:

This is your home

Did you happen to see my buddy Tsewang? He's wearing my lucky green boots.

nooner probably saw them and was like "free boots!" and took them. You just haven't seen them wear them because flamingos don't wear boots, silly.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Not falling for that one again

mfw I look up "Asian throat goat" on google images with safesearch off

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mynameismud posted:

Here is a doc on the Sherpa's that do all the work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OaqZ4Cyarc

And here is a doc that follows a women in her quest to Everest.
And that did not end well for her.
She ignored all the warnings and it cost her her live.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEcHBFs-qME

Lmao I remember the 2nd one think there was a widely circulated pic of her body under the Canadian flag

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Aphex- posted:

Pressure doesn't matter as long as you can equalise your ears and yeah it'll be cold but that record was probably with some kind of wetsuit. Freediving has much less chance of getting the bends too because you're not actually down there for long enough.

Holding your breath for that long though is still absolutely insane.

The dude who set the Guinness record on No-limits free diving gave himself the bends on ascent. He went down to 700+ feet and then passed out from nitrogen narcosis on the way up and wasn't able to monitor his ascent. He woke up before he broke the surface and thought he was fine but about 10 mins after the dive while he was at shallow depths on oxygen he started getting severe effects from his rapid ascent and had to be airlifted to a decompression chamber. He wound up having multiple strokes and bad brain damage from the nitrogen coming out of solution in his blood.

No limits free diving is where you are allowed to use assistance to dive, so a weighted sled to descend and a balloon to ascend, making the dive and ascent much faster than could be managed without aid.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 11, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

How bad a brain damage are we talking like does the guy think it was worth it or does he regret it

quote:

Following extensive training using an innovative torpedo-type sled design of very high descend and ascend speed, on 6 June Nitsch managed to reach a depth of 253.2 meters (831 ft), a Guinness World Record, but ten minutes after the dive he began experiencing serious symptoms of decompression sickness. Nitsch temporarily fell asleep due to nitrogen narcosis during the last part of the ascent (as opposed to through oxygen starvation), and woke up prior to reaching the surface. Following a planned post-dive decompression, breathing medical oxygen at a shallow depth, he signaled to his support team that he felt much weaker than normal and his condition was assessed as critical enough to require an air transfer to a pre-alerted decompression chamber in Athens, where he received treatment. He incurred multiple brain strokes due to severe decompression sickness. He subsequently received extensive decompression treatment in Germany.

The initial prognosis was that he would need home care and be unable to walk without assistance. However, through extensive rehabilitation, he made a strong recovery. He still has balance and coordination problems on land, but does not experience them underwater. He continues to deep free-dive.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

That's not brain damage, that fucker got cursed to stay in the sea or else.

Dude can literally hold a lungfull of air for 9m41s, he's a weird mutant

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gohuskies is the seller lol

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah that is too much rope.

How about a corpe retrieval zip line?

We know what happens when goons make ziplines, but if the hiker is dead who cares if the slam into the ground at basecamp at terminal velocity

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I'll bet you could get those bodies going fast enough to launch them back to their home country.

Put a (heavily reinforced) curve in it at the bottom, angled upward. Then create a large area that looks kinda like a Skeeball thing and take bets on whether you can get a dead tourist hiker into the 100 hole.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Aphex- posted:

Back in 2007 I spent a few months doing some volunteer conservation work in the Yucutan, which involved a lot of scuba diving. Our instructor was a cave diver, so naturally he also got us cavern diver certified. That involved spending a couple of days at one of the many cenotes dotted around the Yucutan, Dos Ojos. Cavern diving is technically different and "safer" than cave diving, the difference being this:

Our instructor was a bit of a crazy guy, and on the last cavern dive he took us on he decided to take us deeper into the cave on an actual cave dive instead. We ended up being single file in this cave only about three times as wide and high as a person laying horizontal, kicking up loads of dust and fine particles and not being able to see poo poo. We surfaced in this cavern with just a tiny slice of natural light at the top which was completely filled with nesting bats. Our instructor had the biggest poo poo-eating grin on his face when he told us we just did a cave dive. After that and we dived back through the cave, at the end of it he got us all to turn off our lights and just floated there in the pitch black underwater. It was absolutely surreal.

The whole cavern and cave diving experience was one of the best things I've ever done and even 16 years later I still think about it. I haven't gone cave diving since but that's probably a good thing tbf. Anyway here are a few 2007-era digital camera pics of it:

This was the entrance of the cenote where we started the dive.

The cave just disappears into the darkness.

The water in the cavern was so crystal clear most of the time it was like you were just floating in the air.

This sign isn't the exact same one since I couldn't find a pic myself of the one at Dos Ojos, but it looked the same as this one. We swam up to it and it was incredibly eerie, the current at the point where this sign was was super strong, like it was trying to pull us further into the cave. It really was like darkness beckoning you in a way. Especially when we spent a whole day pre-cavern diving basically being told all the different ways other people have died doing it.

Anyway I guess this is an odd thread to put this in but since there was chat about it I thought I might as well

This is cool as gently caress and its not that odd, we're all waiting on climbing season for rich idiots to Darwin themselves out of existence trying to climb a mountain.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:ck5:

All the 5s are in the bottom of this cave, are you a bad enough dude to rescue them?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wasn't there a dude who tried to ski down from Everest or something

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViFmRQx66Xg

yup, even made it to the bottom, without dying! (several people from his team did die though)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 24, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

The great tragedy of Everest is not that it's so hard to get up, but that it's just slightly not hard enough. If it were just a bit more technical of a climb, tourists with no climbing experience would just not be able to manage it at all, and the death toll would be hundreds of people fewer.

K2 is only a tiny bit taller but nobody can climb it without years of high altitude technical climbing experience. So even though it's also more deadly per attempt, far fewer people have died climbing it.

K2 is actually shorter than Everest, but it's far more dangerous to climb.

Also the name K2 sounds dangerous and forbidding on its own, it's not a "natural" name for a place, since they never gave it a name beyond its survey designation (Karakoram 2), which drives down tourist interest in the mountain.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 5, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY46GnlWKqU

enjoy some chill K2 hiking vibes

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

K2 requires actual climbing skills compared to just being a very difficult hike effectively.

Dude made it look like a chill jaunt to the summit though.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Attack and dethrone God Everest

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I meant to type "shorter" honestly lol

But yeah it's not just that K2 is not the tallest, it's also much harder to get to and much much much much harder to climb. You cannot summit K2 if you haven't got years of experience with technical high altitude climbing. There's no way sherpas are setting up ropes and oxygen bottles for you so you can just walk. Look how bad poo poo gets on Everest when the climbers have to deal with the Hillary Step, which requires you to actually climb. Now imagine several thousand meters of that. It's not possible.

Instead of blowing the top off everest, could we like, steepen it? Crack some sides off it.

The Black Pyramid and the Bottleneck are really the worst parts of K2 and I think its only about 1000 meters of 60 degree incline together between them. Still, 60 degree slope is so steep you're hanging on your fixed ropes and only moving up with your ascent device/ice axe for an entire kilometer of mountainside.

Most of the rest can be done freely or with climbing poles

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Outrail posted:

Put K2 on top of Everest

Break off Everest and drop it into the Marianas trench if you want to be a supervillain

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Buddy they won't even let me gently caress the Hillary Step

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGV8axWrYik

Compare Everest to the K2 video I posted earlier, the difference in apparent difficulty is quite stark. I can see why he does it though, aside from the money he gets as a guide obviously. Standing on top of the world is quite intoxicating, and I'd like to see it once, but I don't have a bunch of money, or the large amount of time time to dedicate to becoming a professional mountaineer in order to work my way to climbing 8000's. I got a tiny, tiny bit of the feeling standing on top of Fuji a couple years ago because of its massive prominence over the Kanto Plain, just being so far above everything below is pretty loving cool. Fuji is a literal day hike though, you don't need any gear except for a sturdy pair of boots and maybe some climbing poles during the climbing season.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anachronist posted:

Lol RIP to the 1% of aspirants dying on Bierstadt every year. Do you mean 20k’? Obviously Rainer is a p legit mountain but we’ve got some tall ones here in CO that are just not that hard.

Nah, people die on mountains that are sub 20k all the time, all it takes is a bad attachment point, your crampon coming loose from the ice if you're climbing over icy steep terrain, a falling rock from above, or accidentally falling into a crevasse. YMMV but there's huge variance in difficulty that is not entirely related to height. Rainier is just a tiny bit taller than Fuji, but Fuji is a day hike, and Rainier is something that will absolutely kill you if you gently caress up.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anachronist posted:

That’s my point though - it has a lot more to do with objective hazards than elevation and 10k is a threshold without a good relationship to altitude as a serious objective hazard. People die in NH mountains all the time too and those top out at like 5k. There’s roads and gift shops at 14000’ here in CO.

I think one mountaineering video put it pretty well, a mountain's danger is a combination of Location, Altitude, Weather, and Technical Difficulty. Mount Bierstadt for example is over 14,000 feet tall, but as far as Location, Weather, and Technical Difficulty, all of those are a good bit lower than something like Rainier.

Same as the mountains in NH, They may be only 5000ish feet high, but their Location and Weather is very remote, and very volatile, making them more dangerous than say Bierstadt, as the weather can turn very bad very quickly, and the remoteness of the northern Appalachian Mountains makes it hard to get evacuated when you're in danger, leading to fatalities.

Everest gets 10/10 marks for Altitude and Weather, as far as location goes it's not particularly remote anymore, quite accessible really. You can basically day hike right to basecamp, there's well-defined and well travelled paths to the foot of the mountain with no real danger. Technical difficulty is still up there, but not as unachievable as many shorter peaks, which leads to dumb CEOs getting got like moths in a bug zapper.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 7, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I'm sure if you tell a few choice patriots that there's such thing as the Hillary Step that they will have it bombed down to sea level within a week.

I think the earthquake a couple years back took care of it, it went from a ~50 foot cliff to like... 10 feet, most of it fell down the mountain.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Platystemon posted:

It’s heartbreaking to see all these kids risk their lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx_2YF_Yo2I

Yeah on Fuji your only enemy is how long can you wait to clamber up some of the slightly steeper parts of the path behind the obasans and stuff, but during the hiking season it's not bad at all unless you try to go from sea level to the summit in a day, you will be quite sore and feeling very O2 starved by the time you get to the summit, 12,000 feet of elevation in 24h is no joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqy0tfMIX8w

Off season is significantly colder though, and you can indeed get in some poo poo, mostly frostbite.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 7, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

because it bears repeating, if you think it's not tragic to die because you were an adrenaline junkie dumbass, here's your sign

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Everest is Darwin's perfect challenge, competent mountaineers generally survive it, while a lot of people who have no business near mountains but are climbing for bragging rights get turned into ice sculptures in the death zone.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

My legs were actually fine when I climbed out of season, it was pretty not bad, my legs turned into loving rubber noodles on the descent though because I'd been climbing pretty steadily all night from about 8pm until 5am, and they just said gently caress it you're done man.

Also, yeah, don't try to run at altitude if you've been living the flatlander life at sea level, 12,000ft is a lot thinner than ~50ft.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Paladine_PSoT posted:

As of today, 9 confirmed deaths and another missing. There was a non-injury icefall collapse 2 days ago that had to be repaired and closed the route for a while, as well...

Why, loving why would you decide to climb Everest with a pacemaker, your ticker is already hosed, that's why you have a pacemaker! Climbing a mountain is one of the most athletically strenuous exercises you can do, and even worse, Everest is really loving tall, so you don't have much oxygen to work with, your heart beats faster, and you're putting even more stress on your already shot heart. gently caress people are dumb sometimes.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I mean at least she died right outside of basecamp during pre-acclimatization training, so no Sherpas had to risk their lives for her stupid rear end.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

I was checking out Kick just to see what was on there and found this dude called Ice Poseidon who is live-streaming his entire hike to Everest base camp. It blows my mind that this is even possible. I haven’t read these threads in a few years but I immediately thought of you guys and wanted to share:

https://kick.com/iceposeidon

He just ate breakfast and is about to hit the trail!

e: holy poo poo this is the most surreal content i’ve ever seen. this vaguely lovely and stupid man keeps walking into peoples houses and talking to them like they’re npc’s. he’s been ripped off by every vendor he’s encountered. it’s like watching a bizarro world skyrim stream

e2: lmaooooo holy gently caress he didn’t know about acclimatization days. he encountered a couple hiking down and told them he was gonna just hike everyday and they looked horrified lmao

e3: he just demanded a marker from his sherpas to deface a bridge by signing it. they all quickly said they don’t have one and and exchanged glances. they’re been very polite but i’m pretty sure they hate him. i mean, evidently they didn’t tell him about acclimatization days so they possibly hate him enough to let him die.

e4: well the stream went out cause they went thru a valley (maybe?) so i went on youtube to see what else he’s done and lol:

https://youtu.be/ELw8rMks9Vc

e5: omg stream came back on and the first thing i see is ice poseidon telling a random hiker that he wants to get his dick sucked at base camp. the hiker politely laughed and said that wasn’t his experience at base camp and goes on to tell ice about the base camp bathroom with the 55 gallon drum toilets that get carted out. ice says he won’t poo poo in a bucket he’ll just poo poo off the side of the mountain. the hiker patiently explains the sanitation issues base camp has suffered in the past and ice goes “well since everyone else stopped making GBS threads on the mountain it won’t matter if just i do it”.

i’m losing my mind i really thought i was sharing a stream about a genuine hiking enthusiast

e6: ok last edit, the stream is up on youtube as well and you can rewind the stream. i started watching when the time in the upper left was about 9am:

https://www.youtube.com/live/IcEC_iuED54?feature=share

This is the kind of guy who becomes the Green Boots of the future

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dude is actually stupid as hell and maybe he will get eaten by some wildlife

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Is Ice Poser frozen yet

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

He got his face pushed in by Uwe Boll? What's his opinions on Mangosteen? He might be Lowtax's brother from another mother.

Related to Cool Mountain poo poo, didn't see the full film posted earlier:

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/films/k2-the-impossible-descent

Here's the full hour long documentary on the dude who went skiing down K2.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

It still amazes me that the video opens with a drone shot of the summit of K2 like it ain't no thing.

The kind of people who would ski down K2 are absolutely without fear, watching that dude start to slide down the mountain past the other climbers, greeting them and wishing them good luck and receiving the same, I know the thought was in his head that he was probably going to die within the next hour or 2. The absolutely huge balls it takes to look at doing something that nobody thought would be possible, evaluate it, and go "yes I'm going to do this", and then having the skill to be able to make it down the mountain is insane.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

attention goons: it’s 8:30am in nepal and our hero has awoken

lmao 122bpm resting heart rate king, dude is going to stroke the gently caress out before getting to base camp, though from what I am seeing he seems to have mellowed out slightly from what he was a couple days ago. Still the dumbest motherfucker on the trail, and the sherpas would be justified in knocking him out and stealing his poo poo, but puking your guts out at 2am from overexertion and altitude sickness causes a re-evaluation of how serious the poo poo you're attempting is.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 24, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lmao he started eating breakfast and immediately folded up into the "i'm about to hurl" pose. Dude needs at least another day of acclimatization at the current altitude before continuing on, but he wants to hike 6 hours today. Man's going to absolutely wind up needing medical evac before he gets to base camp.

E: Deepak is telling him that he needs to eat and rest, and not continue yet, but dummy wants to continue.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 24, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

that ice poseidon and his streamer crew were popular a while back and they're a bunch of absolute scumbag dickheads. honestly wouldn't even give his stream the time of day if i was you guys, although i understand it's difficult to look away from a trainwreck in motion.

Oh yeah we know he's a complete scumbag fuckhead, but it's amusing to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1385100/Insurmountable/

If you want to chill out to the sounds of the chink of ice axes and crampons into snowy/icy terrain, and the creak of ropes as you climb and descend, this game is pretty alright. It's actually really difficult because the mountain is always waiting to kill you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSd8jbpVQAw