Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Colonel Cancer posted:

Can one hypothetically be banned from the mountain? Or can you always go to the manager and get it rescinded

Sherpas can get banned as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

PittTheElder posted:

Why did you go to Everest during the plague year?

"It was cheaper"

Ah, pay to play suckers never change.

Not sure if this year will get me closer to or further away from my now 4 year long running bet that someone gets suplexed off the Kangshung face.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Pawn 17 posted:

They should really just build an escalator to the top enclosed in glass with temperature control and plenty of oxygen. Then charge $50k per ride.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

FistEnergy posted:

A couple of things have been rattling around in my head since I watched The Alpinist yesterday.

The narrative briefly discussed Leclerc's good decision to abandon his first attempt at Torre Egger, before moving on to detail his successful second attempt. But they glossed over the (IMO) recklessness of making an immediate and unplanned second attempt, during an even shorter weather window and with all the fatigue and minor injuries from the first attempt and the blizzard survival. I knew nothing about Leclerc going into the movie, but while the narrative was focused on his success that decision immediately made me think "this guy's going to run out of luck".

Secondly, I was getting a bad feeling from the beginning of the Mendenhall climb because the narrative had stressed how Leclerc always climbs alone. The mental/technical process is obviously much different with another person, and to attempt a very challenging first climb while factoring in this additional risk and uncertainty gave me bad vibes right from the beginning. It left me wondering if the avalanche was just Leclerc's luck running out, or if he made a mistake, or if his partner did, or if the avalanche was triggered by Leclerc not being experienced with climbing as part of a team.

Leclerc was clearly an extraordinarily gifted climber but it's clear that he should have been lowering his risk tolerance as the mountains and the stakes grew higher. Maybe a person with that kind of drive and passion just isn't able to pull back from the knife's edge? It was a fascinating story and although I was expecting something awful to happen, that last video of Leclerc on the Mendenhall summit was still hard to watch.

100% agree with this had the exact same thought when they were running through his climb rules - not having any method to communicate with the outside world. 'Well, one day he's going to die to exposure with a broken leg then.'

I mean, that wasn't the case on the final climb, since he and the oher climber both had phones and were sending people videos/messages. But did the docco mention if they had locator beacons in the case of an avalanche? It doesn't state if they do or not. If they did, the search for their bodies would have been much simpler, right? If you go climbing in country like that, without those basic and widely used safety tools, then poo poo like this is going to happen. That's the choice they made, that was the risk they thought was acceptable and n must eventually equal 1.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

orange juche posted:

Lmao I remember the 2nd one think there was a widely circulated pic of her body under the Canadian flag

rip

the first everest thread I mean

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
Has anyone else been hooking into the Cave Diving videos that the youtube algorithm has been vomiting up for the past six months or is that just me? It seems like there's a lot of crossover in the "Climbers die in horrific ways" and "Untrained morons diving into caves for the first time die in horrific ways" content.

Similar thing with shipwrecks.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
My favourite thing about cave divers are the types, like the Dive Talk hosts, who insist that a lot of the cave diving death videos on youtube are primarily from the mid 20th century, when Cave Diving was a new sport and a lot of the safety guidelines were not in place. With proper training, gear, and by following standard safety protocol, then cave diving is a perfectly safe sport and it's only these yahoos like freedivers that are still causing underwater caves to be considered as 'scary' or 'dangerous'.

Except, even with the proper gear and training, cave divers still die all the time.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

ilmucche posted:

Apparently there's a board game called k2. Anyone ever tried it?

Yeah it's pretty good! I don't recall there being any poop tracking though, just boring stuff like ropes and oxygen bottles and stuff.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
Sealed in? Text only communication with the outside world? lovely method of control? Were these rich idiots trying to cosplay Iron Lung or something???

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

dr_rat posted:

Okay, cool so we're all agreed we should nuke the moon. So now um the awkward question, does anyone have a couple of million nukes we could borrow for a bit?

Nasa is working with aussie mining scientists on methods to mine the moon for oxygen, so give em time they're going to do it for you

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
The other day I told my wife I was planning on making a model of Everest
She asked me. "Is it to scale?"
I said, no it's to look at

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

fascinating stuff. would make a great gbs thread

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
Some rich motherfuckers had better die on an 8 thousander stat or this thread is doomed

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Platystemon posted:

Mods gonna shut this thread down for bloodlust.

Bloodlust? I'm not the one who started posting about menstruum in the rich idiot death thread :colbert:

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Not an 8 thousander but I'll take it.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

RIP to a real one

msn article posted:

A marriage to fellow adventurer Veronique Choa ended in divorce. Information on survivors or services was not immediately available.

gently caress that's one hell of a divorce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwuw6Z33018

Who needs special bags when you've got clothes on?