Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
I’ve done zero training rides with other people ever in over 10,000 miles of road cycling and I’m not allowed to start now. fine by me

riding bike is a solo, meditative activity

am I psycho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Guinness posted:

Agh I got yet another flat on my Gravel Kings, this time only 250 miles in to a replacement rear tire.

I had to replace the previous rear, the same model tire, at only 1300 miles after getting a large fatal puncture. It had had several flats already in its short lifespan.

It's just my general all-road riding in the PNW, 90% paved 10% gravel. I don't feel like my environment or my riding is unusually hard on tires. Maybe I have just been supremely unlucky but I had far far fewer flats riding around on 700x23 GP4000 pure road tires than these 700x38 GK slicks.

I love how these tires ride but their puncture resistance is dogshit. Fatal puncture aside, every time some miniscule shard of glass or wire has worked its way into the rubber, through the casing, and into the tube. Maybe I should try the "plus" model for better puncture resistance, but maybe I should just try a different tire.

Teravail Ramparts tubeless. I was unable to get tubeless to work (commuting in Seattle) on Gravelkings but the ramparts are great.

The GKs would last exactly a thousand miles before the tread was too thin and the tire was 50% sealant by weight from all the punctures.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

bicievino posted:

Man, I commute in Seattle and have none of these issues. What roads are you riding on that are just fuckin you up so much?

South Park/SoDo/Georgetown

I think it’s made worse by wet weather, too. I’d notice more punctures when the road debris was slick

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

superdylan posted:

I can't afford a $40k+ Colnago Master Pista Futura 2000 Edition so I painted my own

It started life as a Trek Madone that I crashed and cracked the top tube a little bit, so I patched it thinking it would be good enough just to show around once in a while but now it's all I want to ride

:eyepop:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

gravelkings are trash go teravail rampart, they’re even easier to set up TL

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Guinness posted:

Alright, fed up, tossing these drat Gravel Kings (38 slicks) in the trash. They were completely unprotective of tubes, and even after switching to tubeless they are still swiss cheese. Countless punctures and cuts, they lose so much sealant so quickly. Been through a whole bottle of Orange Seal in 700 or so miles in just a few months riding mostly pavement and hardpack. They are just magnets for tiny debris.

They ride great, but this is just stupid. Never had remotely so many issues with tires before, even road race tires. Seattle streets are rough but they aren't bad enough to justify how often these things let me down.

Going to try out some G-One Allrounds in 38 and tubeless. Fingers crossed they hold up better.

teravail ramparts have fun

i literally live in the same city as you and had the same problem. GK slicks died before 1,000 miles- ramparts are at 1500 on my first pair with the original load of sealant and minimal wear.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Guinness posted:

Sweet I was looking at the Ramparts too, but a little bit hard to find in stock right now. Finally found a place with the right size/color in stock so I'll pick them up instead of the Schwalbes.

eBay for tires, you’ll always get what you’re looking for and sometimes there’s a lil sale

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Time posted:

For you teravail rampart buyers, are you getting the durable version or the softs?

I got the soft version for city commuting. no issues at all.

The sidewall isn’t particularly thick, so if you’re going to be doing some gravel stuff, you’d definitely want the durable version.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Levitate posted:

what advantages do spd sandals offer

people see more of your socks when you wear them

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Head Bee Guy posted:

Any recs for head and tail lights? The cheapish homes i got on amazon die quickly and take like a full day to charge. I live in a city, so i’m looking for something Very loving Bright to standout to distracted drivers

I have a light & motion taz 1200 and it’s very good. the strap design is stupid so just leave it on your handlebars as much as possible. pretty $$ though

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I've had 3 rear punctures from roadside grit in 200 miles. Running a wtb exposure 30mm tire stretched to ~34mm at 55psi. I think I might need something a little stronger back there :/

gonna keep banging the teravail rampart drum here. I have 2200 commuting miles on mine and they’re going strong

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Yeah, my 7000-series 105 groupsets have been utterly bulletproof and a pleasure to ride. I've thought about buying up to dura-ace or ultegra once parts wear out but that poo poo's utterly wasted on me and my aluminum-frame bikes.

same

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Listen, you wanted a light frame. make it lighter

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

vikingstrike posted:

He should do whatever causes goons the most anxiety and grief because its only a bicycle at the end of the day.

:frogbon:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

bicievino posted:

Just here to say, forums user vikingstrike is killing it.
:hmmyes:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

vikingstrike posted:

I would 100% watch a live stream of the drilling.

There are many web sites devoted to this specific thing

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

I drink a liter of coffee before every ride and it usually results in one (1) pee break for hour for the first three then as normal

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

You could just loop a cable down through the frame and lock it instead of drilling a hole in the car and basically inviting rust to start there

how dare you suggest drilling is not the solution here

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

Garmin is having a big sale right now if you were waiting to pull the trigger on a computer, watch or whatever else

MY TIME IS NOW

e: NEVER MIND IT’S $100 OFF JUST THE 1030, NO OTHER COMPUTER DEALS

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

Sorry about the false hopes - looks like its focused on watches.

I got a watch to replace my broken fitbit and the radar.

no worries. this week I have also discovered that REI’s anniversary sale coupons don’t apply to GPS units

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

today, I discovered why you grease the threads of your pedals before screwing the pedals in

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

I’ve heard of Hollowtech but this is ridiculous!

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

No matter how gently I say “coming byyyyyy on your left” I still scare the poo poo out of people. It’s unfortunate

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

SimonSays posted:

What's the difference between a gravel wheel and a road wheel?

gravel rims will be wider to accommodate larger tires. that’s about it.

also you’re being sold a new set of wheels so the above difference is CRUCIAL to your PODIUM CHANCES BUY BUY BUY

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Guinness posted:

Probably not as often as I should but every few months. Regular Orange Seal has worked great for me.

My current set of Teravail Ramparts have been setup-and-forget tubeless so far on the first 1000 miles. My old Gravel King slicks were so prone to cuts and punctures that I went through way more sealant with them, pain in the rear end.

all of this is also me, except I use orange seal endurance. teravails rock unless you are something awful poster “time”

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

George RR Fartin posted:

A Penny Farthing is only allowed to be converted to an s-bike. The s is for steam.

so that’s what s-works stands for.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

vikingstrike posted:

I use the gear stuff more than battery.

And I’d recommend a 530.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Been using Gravelking+ Slicks (32s) for a while because the thread recommended them but they seal like poo poo on my rims and wear out pretty fast, are there any other tires anyone can recommend for 700x32 tubeless riding on paved and crushed limestone surfaces?

I had to pitch one with 800 miles on it because I deflated it to put more sealant in and the fucker wouldn't seat and inflate to save my life.

Teravail Ramparts. I couldn’t get the GKs in 35mm (then 38mm) to last longer than a thousand miles. Meanwhile I have six thousand miles on my front tire now (about 3k on the rear and it’s getting pretty squared off) and they’re honestly still going strong even though the front looks like the surface of the moon

GK slicks suck poo poo I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone

E: beaten to the same recommendation several times

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

orangeseal endurance btw. Not the regular kind

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

sweat poteto posted:

helmetchat is stupid please stop

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

went on a bike ride yesterday

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

:nice:

i just finished the 2 day. the 40 miles of highway in oregon sure does suck

At least the shoulder was mostly wide, unlike the bridge’s shoulder. Did the 2 day raiders get the bridge closed for their crossing?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

yeah they closed a lane and we went in groups

Didn’t for us, which was probably the worst part of my day. That shoulder is really gross, tiny, and there are metal slabs that will pinch flat you if you hit them hard enough

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Buy once, cry once. Get some Assos on clearance imo

I did this and don’t regret it.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Eejit posted:

My partner and I use the Peloton app during the cold months and the instructors talk SO MUCH. Just play EDM and tell me how to suffer. Otherwise let me sit in my pain cave without telling me I'm crushing it or whatever.

TrainerRoad is good for this, just dissociating fully while staring at lines on your phone/ipad

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

hell yeah it’s new bike day. the best day

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

well its Very Cool that i can't find replacement shimano 50T chainrings in stock

I’ve got a spare 105 11s 50T because I accidentally double ordered, dm me- it’ll be cost plus shipping

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

thread favorite Teravail Rampart. i have them in 38, run them tubeless, and they last more than 3,000mi of commuting

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

https://ridethehurricane.org/

dedicated event that closes the road down for a whole morning, august 6, 2023

if you end up wanting to do it i next year i'm down to join ya (although you'll definitely beat me to the top)

goon meet at this event, I’ve done it four years running. this past year I went sea to summit, back to the park entrance, and back to the top- which gives you a bit more than 10k of climbing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Sphyre posted:

Been doing a bit of structured training on zwift lately and as a result i've been feeling naked without power information on my outdoor rides. I currently run spd pedals and have been tossing up between getting a crank arm power meter and sticking with spd pedals OR going with some Favero Assiomas and switching to road cleats and shoes. I've also been ruminating on picking up some new shoes as well so the whole 'need new shoes' thing isn't really a barrier. If you have any input feel free to pound off in the comments below

The cheapest way of doing this is getting into Stages’ scratch and dent page- I did this and got a 105 left sided power meter for $200. It’s good.

That said, I don’t think I’ve heard many complaints about the assiomas.