Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

A bike shop that's hostile to you for whatever bike you have isn't a shop I would want to go to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

EvilJoven posted:

Oblivious or just an rear end in a top hat?

This one was oblivious and extremely apologetic.

Lmao, is that the Omand's park trail behind the cemetary?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Rode 3 miles with my pup. She's little so that's about as far as I can push her. :3:

If she's still small enough to fit in a bike basket we need that picture.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Just in case you thought he was joking, SPD-SL pedals work fine with regular shoes if you're coordinated enough to handle one-sided pedals. If I want to go somewhere with non-bike footwear and don't want to use my fatbike (like if I'm meeting up with a friend and am stashing a bike in their place with stairs), I'll just use my road bike instead of bringing a second pair of shoes with me on my commuter bike.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah that's true, since it's my road bike and not my fully fredded commuting bike I don't really use it in poor weather. It's probably not idea for those conditions.

Apparently the stolen bike market is booming here to the point where you have to pre-order bikes you see locked up on the street.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

In any case, see if you can find a shop with a generous return policy so you can try different stuff out to find something that works with you. The stock bar that came on my fatbike was giving me the same problems with bent wrists, and when I tried out a pair of Ergon winged grips they made things worse. What ended up fixing it for me was switching to swept-back Soma Clarence handlebars, and then adding thicker diameter grips made it perfect.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Levitate posted:

what kind of "local lake" is 265km around? just curious

https://goo.gl/maps/sp9Wo2Tht5jwUPuCA

Had that recommended to me, but I didn't have enough time to check it out. It's first on my list next time I'm there.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The size of IS mount you need also depends on what size brake rotor you're using, so make sure to get the correct one.

actionjackson posted:

which U of M is this?

Manitoba.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Turmoilx posted:

sooo is there any fat bike goons? im going to be investing in one soon because it will make my life less boring found a good deal on a trek farley 5 if its still for sale tomorrow (shop1$800. used $1400) same size and year looks new i found on market place ill check these other sites listed but if you think i can get better quality for around there lmk/brand. was just wandering around here to see if there was any info since im just a noob coming from a 7 year break off bmx

Fatbikes fill a niche if you don't care about speed and are looking for comfort or traction under all conditions. I originally got mine for winter riding but I find myself picking it for slow roll rides or if I want to pretend I have the guts to do stuff like ride off of walls because the tires are so forgiving. It's also become my goto bike for if I'm going into the bush since I can load it up and it can still handle any terrain I'm likely to come across. I actually just got back from a weekend trip and while I keep putting more stuff on it, it still keeps trucking.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Turmoilx posted:

i lied about the picture i couldnt get a good one today i was riding it and then it got dark clearly im not ready yet, it's nothin special just a over sized bike with bigger wheels than a motorcycle, not fancy colors yet either. i am sorry :( if anyone cared to see it

and come to think of it i got some of that taint hurt for a little bit there riding today ..heheh

update i moved some things and just took a picture of it in my room.. it illustrates very well (but not fully) why i have no money my old bmx bike fit there no problem.. this barely fits oh yeah only downside buying this thing used is a lack of matching tires, rear got changed for some reason i guess only noticed later on but oh well i got it for 500 less than a new one was wheels are straight n stuff so seems alright like nothings broken

That looks awesome. Different tires are fine and some sets are sold specifically as front and rear pairs, like the Flowbeist and Dunderbeist tires I use in the winter.

Do yourself a favour and grab a Meiser low pressure gauge so you can experiment with different pressures to play around with. You want the 15 PSI model, and with tires that big even half- and quarter-PSI increments can make a difference.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Meiser-Accu-Gage-Dial-Pressure-Gauge

For winter riding this page has been invaluable for calculating what I should fill my tires to inside to get a target pressure outside. When going from 20C indoors to -25C outside for example the tire pressure drops 4 PSI, which isn't a big deal on a regular bike but makes a massive difference on a fatbike.

http://t3mppu.kapsi.fi/2016/01/11/how-much-temperature-effects-the-pressure/

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

SPD cleats on road shoes are the worst thing ever. With SPD-SLs you can at least walk on them like high-heels without the heel. The first and only time I had to do some walking with that setup I went barefoot down the street to MEC and got a cheap pair of mountain bike shoes.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Can someone post a good video about wrapping bar tape that they trust? I've seen the Park Tool one but I'd like to see if other ones exist. The reels of bar tape I got from Supercaz look, to me, too short to do the job.

This is the one I learned from and gone are the days where I'd struggle with getting the figure-8 just right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7KwGCDWlUk

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

mila kunis posted:

Any recommended options for storing a bike indoors? I live in a tiny rented apartment and can't drill anything into the walls, also want to avoid disassembling/reassembling stuff if possible. I have a balcony but I'm not sure if its a good idea to leave it outside in freezing temperatures during winter.

I've been using these gravity racks for the better part of ten years. On the Michelangelo rack the rubberized coating on the hooks eventually dries up and cracks away, but an easy fix is to rewrap it with old inner tube.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Verviticus posted:

i have a mountain bike from like 20 years ago that ive been just riding up and down a long concrete path that cuts through a part of vancouver (total ride is about 40-50 mins at a high pace) for cardio since covid started, and its starting to get kinda cold and uncomfortable to ride when i do (which is around midnight). vancouver is about 8c/46f right now and it doesnt usually get colder than -4c or -5c/23f, though for a couple weeks i can probably just take a rest if it gets real low

my question then is: what kind of gear/clothing am i looking for to make this more comfortable? I mean gloves and a scarf and maybe a light toque i can put under my helmet seem reasonable to me, but im wondering if there are specific brands or fabrics or something i should be targeting that are good for wind-resistance as opposed to the normal stuff id wear in winter. my current jacket (a fall jacket but is pretty nice for wind) is probably good enough if i wear a long sleeve shirt

i guess right now i have like, some gardening gloves, but those seem like a bad choice

Depending on how much you're exerting yourself, you can dress surprisingly light as long as you don't have any skin exposed. My -40C cycling gear is what I would wear if just walking around from 0 to -10C. Any waterproof and windproof outer jacket and pants will be fine for Vancouver, especially if it has vents you can unzip if you're getting too warm. Wool is the best material for base layers, and Costco sells decent 100% merino wool shirts for way cheaper than I've seen anywhere else. They're really good for insulation and moisture regulation, and if it's not windy I'd often toss my jacket in my pannier and ride with just the shirt down to -10C. I come from a pretty cold place so my tolerance is probably on the high side, though.

A toque is fine, and if you find it gets too warm a headband that covers your ears might be enough. The biggest quality of life upgrade would be a set of pogies/handlebar covers that block the wind and keep your hands warm while riding. I use a pair of 45Nrth Cobrafists, but that's probably overkill for your use case. You can probably get a set of ATV pogies from Canadian Tire or Cabela's for less than $50 on sale, and they'll be fine for coastal weather.

45Nrth is a decent brand for winter cycling gear but they can be pricey, especially if you're not going all in on riding during the winter. Browsing their site should give a good idea of what kind of things to look for in winter dress, although I don't know if the slider at the top of the page is in C or F.

https://45nrth.com/products/temp-guide

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I think that's more of a personal preference. I find it more comfortable to ride with bare hands or with a pair of light gloves compared to my cross-country skiing gloves, but that's just me and the Cobrafists have a lot of room inside to separate your hands from the wind. I mainly got them because when you start getting down to extremely cold temperatures you don't have much of a choice, since you need the combined warming effects of both. If you're riding at night there's also the possible addition of chemical/electrical warmers to the mix, and mine have a nice pocket for those.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's not a jersey but this time of year is when Costco starts selling long sleeve merino shirts that work really well as base layers for $25 regular price. 100% merino and made in Canada. They seem durable enough to me with years of machine washing and air drying, the only one I have that's damaged is from when a rooster's claws got stuck in my shirt.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FrugalMaleFashionCDN/comments/awn4la/costco_cloudveil_merino_top_1497/

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

ExecuDork posted:

It's a new word to me, I thought it means a simple toe clip thing like what I have or one with straps, but without any need for a special shoe. Is that incorrect? I like the word, maybe I'm using it wrong?

Bidon is a fancy word for water bottle.

https://www.roadbikerider.com/what-is-a-bidon-in-cycling/

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

marshalljim posted:

^ I've got one of those, too, and like it pretty well. Only problem I've had is the rubber on one of the hooks splitting, but that could be my fault.

Same thing happened on mine, it's just prone to drying out and cracking. I removed it when that happened and replaced it by wrapping some old tubing around it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

If you do longer rides in more sparsely populated areas it's definitely worth it to get a GPS because it's a good idea to offload the battery drain and potential damage away from your communication device in case of an emergency or crash.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I've been thinking about ways to carry archery equipment on my commuter. This is scary. Gonna crush his chain stays, bend his bow, and snap his arrows in one bad turn.

Edit: Maybe that black thing down to the chain stay is a stabilizer for his bow. It's actually held up by a waist belt? I'm even more scared

Cogburn went out of business a while back but they made a gear carrier with a simple design you might be able to emulate using ATV equipment holders. I picked some up on clearance to see if I could rack my rifle to my bike and it worked a treat, although for a bow you'd probably want that backing plate since rotation will be more of an issue. I also mounted it to my fork so I wouldn't have to give up a pannier, but I don't think you could do that with a bow.

http://cogburnoutdoors.com/gear

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 11, 2021

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Harry Privates posted:

I am looking to potentially get a new bike this spring and need some advice or suggestions.

I currently have a Kona Dew that I got 7 or so years ago. I like riding it but am starting to see that when I go on longer rides (20+ miles) it isn’t very comfortable. I am looking to find something that is good for longer distances and can be had for under $600 roughly. Any suggestions?

If new bike inventory is looking dicey in your area but you can find parts, you might be able to get away with just changing your contact points. Switching to drop bars needs new levers and shifters, but that should be possible well under that budget. I turned my 2006 Dew into my first touring bike and it was great for long distance rides loaded down with equipment.

Right now it's set up as a cyclocross bike since I found an Ultegra CX crank at a swap meet, and I put on the Aksiums that used to be on my road bike.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Harry Privates posted:

I got a new saddle a few years ago which seemed to help with that issue, maybe it just needs more adjustment to find the right contact point.

I love the way this looks and wasn't something I had considered before I will have to look into this.

I don't know what wheelset yours has or if they've upgraded them since I got mine, but keep in mind for loaded touring the stock wheels are going to be inadequate. I remember the first test ride I did with 60lbs of gear I broke some spokes on the first set of railroad tracks I went over and got a set of A319s the next day. For just riding or commuting with light loads the stock wheels will probably be fine, though.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

ExecuDork posted:

I've never shopped for new wheels but I plan to find some decent wheels for my old frankenbike (after/during the replacement of the BB and the rest of the drivetrain). Is there an easy way to tell how suitable for additional weight a given wheel is? Do the manufacturers tell you how much weight they can take?

https://www.cyclingabout.com/the-best-rims-for-bicycle-touring/

An older article so the recommendations might be out of date, but the explanations for what makes a strong wheel are still good. I don't know if you're going to find hard weight capacity specs because of all the variables involved, but unless you're a Clyde you'll probably be fine with a decent rim paired with 36 spokes. I've been using 36 spoke Mavic A319s on all my touring and commuter bikes over a decade, with no issues even with really heavy loads.

I hear Velocity Chukkers and Atlases being used if you need something as indestructible as possible, but I'm not a big person and don't care about tubeless so i haven't felt the need to upgrade my wheels any time soon.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Head Bee Guy posted:

Are there any good resources on advanced riding techniques? most of the clips i’ve seen on youtube are very entry level.

Like I’m wondering how exactly to position my bum and hips when flying down a hill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99K4gpJZWdw

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

numberoneposter posted:

this is why i just yell PASSING

or nothing

Yeah, I just say heads up and be prepared for them to go in either direction.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Unsinkabear posted:

I set my helmet on the hood of my car for a second today, and the INSTANT my back was turned the loving wind gusted and blew it off onto the concrete.

How religious do I need to be about the one hit rule? Is that enough to require a replacement now? It's a little scuffed but I can't see any cracks or dents.

If there's no cracks or deforming of the foam it's probably fine. The testing and impacts it's designed for are when there's something inside that's adding momentum to the blow.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Charliegrs posted:

Can anyone point me to some good sources of info for a mega noob bike rider? As in I want to get into road biking to get my heart pumping again after 10 hour shifts of sitting on my rear end at my IT job. I haven't been a regular bike rider since I was a kid, so I don't even know where to start. I just know I'd like a good bike that doesn't weigh a ton (since I'll have to lug it up to my 2nd floor apartment) and doest cost a fortune. Plus I'm not really familiar with the general rules of the road when biking. I'm assuming you just follow car rules. Anyway know where I should look?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldp24DfTeB8

A very accurate representation of the journey that is getting into recreational cycling by starting with a cheap basic bike you love. Has plenty of basic newbie tips while chronicling the fun you'll have, the friends you make, and the thousands of yen you've spent along the way.

https://www.hidive.com/tv/long-riders

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah for power delivery alone USB-C is real nice. You aren't going to need the high current charging profiles for most bike devices, but only having to deal with one type of cable is nice.

When I was looking up how easy it is to swap batteries in my original ELEMNT for when the time comes I found a guy in Malaysia who also switched the connector in his from micro-USB to USB-C. It doesn't look like a hard job at all if I can find the part.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

For what it's worth Garmin devices were also affected by the interference coming from that camera I built shielding for so you can probably stop using that as a dig.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

All I said is that the issue you poked at me for when I made my own solution because I'm a filthy poor also ended up occurring with a Garmin device. It's great that you've had better luck with yours.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

TobinHatesYou posted:

Pretty sure you originally came at me for not living with my purchase and bodging a solution for it rather than moving on to something that worked under those circumstances.

Not really, I said it's great that you're able to afford buying a bunch of different devices to find out what works but there are some of us who aren't able to do that, and I posted something that worked for other people in a similar situation. On the offsite you started calling me dumb for buying a "lovely" Wahoo device because I said it was much more of an RFI issue with my camera than a GPS build issue. That ended up being the case because the same thing happens with any GPS device near it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Would flipping that ad hoc tensioner to the other side of the chain increase or decrease the likelihood of it bumping into the spokes?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Is there any possibility of riding a bike outdoors in the future? A real bike + trainer might be an option worth looking into, especially if you have a bike lying around that you used to be able to ride.

There's also an indoor cycling thread that might be worth skimming for info.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933908

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

tarlibone posted:

Maybe. I've never measured them. But these aren't typical hills you find in an average city. There were cliffs (limestone bluffs) where a lot of the old part of this town was eventually built, and as a result, there are inclines where some folks used to use their parking breaks at the stop signs.

You can probably look it up on Strava to see what the grade numbers are to give people a better idea of what your riding conditions are like. It's not that people are doubting what your roads are like, but 50% is really unlikely and would lead to incorrect recommendations. I "rode" a 40% grade once and it was impossible to ride my touring bike without the front wheel lifting off the road.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

vikingstrike posted:

You just use the strava map to look for segments. The gradients are listed there.

RideWithGPS should also let you do it with a free account by just clicking a start and end point, with a handy chart for grade and elevation info.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Since you've been doing it for a while already and will be doing it for the foreseeable future giving something like Zwift a try might be up your alley to make things more interesting. I don't know much about dedicated indoor bikes and only a little about direct drive trainers you install your main bike in, but they let you ride with other people online which might add an interesting new dimension to your workouts.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Aww yeah, I love ambulance segments. They look so funny when graphed out.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

That looks brutal. I think that's the point where cobbles become a traction device. Whenever I saw these circular cutouts start showing up on the road I knew the next little bit was gonna suck. I called them gently caress You Dots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Modal Auxiliary posted:

This isn't Tochigi prefecture, is it? They've got some great climbing. Irohazaka is definitely on my bucket list:

It's the Kuragari Pass between Osaka and Nara. It was a rough way to start an already late day, but the deer in Nara were worth it, and the night riding from Nara to Kyoto was gorgeous with how all the dams were lit up in blue after dark.

I was originally planning on going north from Kyoto through the alps to Nikko, but I realized there was no way I would make it to Tokyo in time so I did the Tokaido route instead from there. I think the next time I'm able to do a trip I'll start from Kyoto and do the mountain route; I was definitely looking forward to riding those switchbacks and was sad I had to put it on hold.