Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looking for a dreaded ebike. Wife wants some bikes to go about 7 miles to and from house to beach, it's predictably flat. We would maybe be hauling a baby trailer or something

Budget is $1000-3200 per bike, preferably it has like, I guess a Bosch system? I dunno, don't want a piece of crap that won't have support in 3-5 years

I had a 23c road bike for like a decade, put many thousands of miles on it, commuted daily by bike for six years, totally get the advantage of regular bikes. Wife wants an ebike to go to the beach with. So ebike

I'd like an ebike that doesn't look like hot garbage, a lot of the budget Chinese things are function over aesthetics, I know if a bike is ugly, I'm not gonna ride it much

Edit: if my bike had a perfectly horizontal top tube, that would be tits

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is with "the pros closet" seems like there's an awful lot of "certified pre owned" bicycles, seems very odd

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

convert an old TT bike into an ebike with an illegal 1500W ali express wheel motor

and get a gopro

This but with a warranty

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah that lemond looks exactly how I imagine an e bike should look

Lol @ $4700 bike, $17.00 pedals

I feel like for $4700 I'll just buy my own carbon fiber and epoxy, Panasonic 18650 batteries and build the bike I want. If that lemond was $2999 that would be the bike for me

Why are ebikes so drat ugly

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I feel like for $4700 I'll just buy my own carbon fiber and epoxy, Panasonic 18650 batteries and build the bike I want. If that lemond was $2999 that would be the bike for me

Why are ebikes so drat ugly

Now that I think about it, I do have a 5700 105 groupset just sitting in a box ready to go

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

learnincurve posted:

It’s funny because not only is there that fantastic specialized drop bar cyclocross ebike there are some amazingly good looking ebikes with branded parts designed for beach runs, and all at a fraction of the price point he’s deliberately looking at

Link?

Edit looks like bikes direct has Shimano/Bosch mid drive bikes and they're all about $2800-3600 so I would imagine it's going to be hard to find a name brand bike for much less new

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 1, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

learnincurve posted:

Because it’s very annoying to read someone come in here and be so hostile towards ebikes, it’s ignorant posturing that does a massive disservice to the people in the ebike thread who could very easily find him what he wants or walk him through his first build. Which isn’t as easy as just slapping a battery and hub on.

I barely know poo poo and could remember at least one brand who do good looking drop bar ebikes, imagine what well informed people know.

Someone pointed out that there's an ebike thread and I immediately went over there and asked basically the same question :shrug:

Then several people in this thread responded, so I'm engaging them since so far over gotten better examples here than the other thread

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are you referring to a square taper crank, or am I missing something

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dunno about modern 10-11-12 speed stuff, but for traditional 9 speed, a bath in simple green in a ziploc bag or a tupperware container did wonders, rinse with water, then liberal application of Rock N Roll red seemed to do the trick for me every 1000 miles or so

As far as I can tell, Rock N Roll red is just parrafin wax dissolved in gasoline, and then when applied to the chain the solvent evaporates and leaves behind the parrafin wax

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

First time I've heard the term hydrogen embrittlement outside of the spaceflight mega thread, can you elaborate on that in regards to simple green

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TobinHatesYou posted:

Prolonged exposure to Simple Green causes surface cracks in the chain. Probably not a huge deal if you only use it once to flush out factory grease, but people do weird things like leaving it soaking for a couple hours or overnight.

What in simple green causes hydrogen embrittlement, though? During the degreasing process does it release hydrogen gas, or something? I've never ever heard of hydrogen embrittlement being an issue except in aerospace where they have thin walled tanks of high pressure hydrogen. Do you have a link or something?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I looked up my old Lezyne stuff and was stunned to see the rear light I bought at the time was only 7 lumens, later got a Zecto Drive which I guess is 80 lumens, but this one is almost 4x as bright

Strip Drive Pro (300 Lumen) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087C8N7CS/

I guess it has some motion sensor built in that will set it to solid red when you slow down, or something. I dunno, I haven't tried it. Anything over 150 lumens for a rear light is crazy bright IMO. So great to see this tech improving so rapidly - only $60! holy poo poo

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

doesn't affect the rich so it's not actually a problem :patriot:

Won't somebody think of the dentists

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SimonSays posted:

Steel frame time

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That looks like a really good way to convert valuable crank energy into heat, rather than forward motion

I want one

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I know driveshaft bikes are frowned upon as they have ~85% power transfer vs ~96% efficiency of a chain

Why aren't driveshafts more popular for ebikes? Battery prices are low enough now to make up for the ~11% drivetrain efficiency loss, I would think. Seems like with a 3 speed internal hub, sealed driveshaft system and coaster brake you could get 5k-7000 miles between tune ups?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Presumably a skip would be a broken tooth somewhere on the crown and/or bevel gears

Post pics, very curious to see what the inside of those things look like, and if there's any plastic parts in there

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dog Case posted:

bar height should be about comfort instead of just slamming your stem

mods?!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This sounds expensive

Depends on where you live. I was in a clay-heavy soil area for a long time, my chains would last 1500 miles without additional lube no problem

Recently moved to a very sandy location, I get grit in my teeth just sitting in my house. Mechanical wear here is probably 4x compared to a clay-heavy environment

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Get your bike shop to make you a custom carbon fiber skid plate, held in with neodymium magnets

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

osker posted:

Or just use the existing plate and fill the holes with sugru or epoxy.

Trap sprung, killjoy spotted

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I saw an ad a while back that kids first bicycles weigh ~33% of their body weight. That would be equivalent to learning to ride a bike on a 60 lb bike for me

Is there any benefit to teaching a kid to ride on a specifically light weight bicycle

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Electric guitars are just acoustic guitars until you plug them in

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm gonna go buy this bike in about 2 hours

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/dublin-club-fuji-valite-steel-road-bike/7613427032.html

Mid 80s Red Fuji club for $250 looks all original? Looks like a mish mash of period correct sugino and suntour

My inseam is 30" which makes 56cm a little tall for me but my last bike was the same, so gonna stick with it.

Other option is this, but I like the look of the red bike better, all my bikes have been red and how a bike looks matters a lot to me if I'm gonna ride it

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/d/santa-clara-1988-cannondale-sr500/7616241940.html

Somewhere in a box I have a full... I forget the name... Groupset? Of Shimano Sora 3000 which looks a lot like mid 2000s 105 gear, I think this will bolt up to any 80s Japanese bike

Thoughts.

Oh right I'm gonna tow a two wheel kiddie trailer thing to take my daughter to daycare in it

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I'm gonna go buy this bike in about 2 hours

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/dublin-club-fuji-valite-steel-road-bike/7613427032.html

Mid 80s Red Fuji club for $250 looks all original? Looks like a mish mash of period correct sugino and suntour

Somewhere in a box I have a full... I forget the name... Groupset? Of Shimano Sora 3000 which looks a lot like mid 2000s 105 gear, I think this will bolt up to any 80s Japanese bike

Oh right I'm gonna tow a two wheel kiddie trailer thing to take my daughter to daycare in it

Bought the red bike and it's :krad: story on the bike is it's his buddy's bike who bought it new in 198X & they originally had it listed at $500+ but the market is soft right now kept dropping the price. His buddy is a runner and basically never used it, it has zero scratches except a tiny chip in the paint on the non-drive side chainstay and one other tiny chip I forget where. Bike also feels like it had a tune up immediately before sale

Will probably convert it over to sora 3000 this fall, might adjust the horns/brakes a little bit they're especially aggressively positioned for MAX AERO and I'm gonna be a bit more relaxed hauling my 2.5yo around behind me

Bike really does look like it just rolled off the LBS floor 35 years ago :getin:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

126 vs 130mm rear axle spacing is not a huge problem if you have a spoke wrench. I converted my 12 speed motor bacon to a 16 speed claris a long time ago, only needed to adjust the dish of the wheel by half a cm or so

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Obligatory new bike day photo, with modified seat height

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

This works only on steel frames.

Steel is real

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

more adapters please

Where does one get one of these

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah your derailleur ought to naturally fall down to the lowest gear by default. If it's not it's one of three things

1. Your limit screw is in way too far
2. Your derailleur hanger and/or derailleur is bent (dropped the bike or something/someone fell on it
3. Your pull cable is hosed up somehow

Derailleur hangers are sometimes hard to source especially for older bikes. Bending it back almost never works very well

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Shifting up is a bigger problem as you're introducing a lot of stretch into the cable/entire system and will need adjustment sooner as it's sitting under tension for longer periods of time

And yeah, the whole system is designed to be used while pedaling, strong agree, do not shift unless you're pedaling. Not quite as bad as putting diesel in your gas tank, but heading in that direction

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah you need to dump like 2-3 gallons of ~50psi air in short order. A lot of bike pumps offer 120-150psi but trade absolute pressure for really abysmal CFM. Having a plug in unit virtually guarantees it has enough cfm

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

What kind of air compressor seats tires? I have a lovely one to inflate car tires. Can I just use that one?

Finally an excuse to upgrade to a full size air compressor and pneumatic impact wrench for your garage

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wow I had not heard of TPU tubes until now. About to swap out the 30 year old factory tires on my craigslist with gator skins, guess I should order a set of ridenow TPU, I guess they're pretty fantastic

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

wooger posted:

Gatorskins nooooooooooo!

Whatever your use case there are better options.

Every bike I've ever owned since 2007 has had them (except my ~70s era motobecane, in... May 2014 I ordered Continental Super Sport Plus due to size constraints, or something) I'm not switching now :colbert:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the modern equivalent to the Garmin EDGE 500

I had one at some point but either I lost it, or was stolen I forget. It's gone now though.

The big pluses for me were: barometric altimeter (I have a 200' climb over one mile on my twice daily commute) and the ANT+ with the wheel cadence sensor thingy that could calculate approximate wattage

Looks like the 540 exists and still is going to cost me about $200 which seems....steep for 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I guess the Edge 130 has barometric altimeter now

Wow so $200 for the Edge 130
$60 for cadence and wheel speed sensor
$15 for the mount

$275 did I get that right

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've literally never had an issue with gatorskin sidewalls in like, 10-12,000 miles I don't even know how that is possible to damage them

I'll accept my 10w loss for the 1.2 miles each way to daycare and back, the lovely tires on the toddler trailer is probably 10x worse

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sphyre posted:

Always lean your bike with the drive side away from the wall so that when people look at your bike they will see the correct side

new thread title IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

When I did long rides, typically I'd start the trip at Denny's (or the local equivalent) and just eat a gross amount of all sorts of delicious breakfast food, start my ride and then pop in to 7-11 and top off my water bottle + slam an off brand red bull, plus keep a supply of gels and a clif bar or two as backup

On a long ride like that it's difficult to overeat, unless it's Pringles, which will just suck all the moisture out of your body