Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

If I was going to buy an aluminum bike I would go pick up a Ripmo AF

https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/ripmo-af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Rode little scraggy today. I reset the sag and lowered the seat a bit more on my bike today.

I also need manlier legs or I need to replace my 34 front sprocket with a 32.

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 16, 2020

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Nohearum posted:

How was the smoke up there?

I didn’t think it was bad, but my wife dropped at 3-4 miles and went back to the car because her asthma reared it’s ugly head.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

They make collapsible spacers for MDIs, might be an idea to carry one with her for her rescue inhaler in case she runs into real trouble someday.

I didn’t know that existed, thank you.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

yoohoo posted:

I'm going to be in the Colorado Springs area for the next ~3 weeks and am looking for some fun rides. Does anybody have any recommendations? Anywhere within ~45 minutes. I'm coming from NE chunk so long and flowy would be ideal.

Also would take recommendations for some good trails I can take my gravel bike on.

Depends on what you think is long.

I think the Air Force academy is still closed, but when it opens it’s my go to ride at about 14 miles. Cheyenne, Palmer and Ute park have trails but I haven’t been on many of them and cannot comment. Captain Jacks is talked about on the Colorado Springs Mountain Bike Facebook group.

Rides requiring a shuttle and outside of the 45 minute drive I would look towards monarch crest trail and the plummet.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Forgot the condo at winter park didn’t allow bikes in the units. So what’s the best bet: locked in the car or locked in the rack...

Should note the car is in underground parking

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 25, 2020

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

spwrozek posted:

What a dumb condo rule. Glad I don't have to deal with that.

Locked in the car, locked to the car with a cable, locked to each other with a u lock, covered up is what I would do.

They have signs everywhere. We locked em to the rack and backed the car against the concrete wall, the garage has a closed door and I’m covered by covered by insurance. Won’t be back to this unit.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

It is my wife and I’s first time at a downhill park, we will definitely be doing this more often.

TLDR: downhill is fun

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Winter park was nice, my smashed finger not so much. It would have been best to stop when i noticed I was tired instead of thinking I had time to get in a couple more rides.

My wife and I both rode 27.5 and a friend rides a 29. He is decidedly faster than me but that boils down to skills. We are both new and still learning to corner and bunny hop. I hope to graduate to the black trails before I’m to old to ride, but for now the milder blues and greens are fun.

The best part about growing old is not having to worry about kids, and having the ability to say hey that was fun I must need a new bike..

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 26, 2020

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Today was the first time in 13 years riding that I crashed so hard that I was unable to continue. We were shuttling the Windsor trail in Santa Fe. Not really sure what happened but OTB into some rocks was the TLDR. I tried my best to find the line between deep rear end bruise and broken femur I think. Arm and back are all scrapped up as well. I can weight my leg trying to actually walk and move it around is brutal. Really lucky that I was able to push the bike a 1/4 mile to the road and call for a pick up. I am out for a while I think but could have been worse.

I will quit whining about my finger now..

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Bud Manstrong posted:

My wife and I were going to ride up in Fraser/Winter Park today, but the Williams Fork fire and a 30-minute delay on 70 this morning had us detour down to Buffalo Creek.

Good call, when my wife and I left winter park traffic headed west was backed up at least ten miles.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

How dumb of an idea is it to buy a Commencal 29/27.5 downhill bike?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

vikingstrike posted:

If you'll go to the park to enjoy it, do it.

My wife is 100% onboard and the park is close enough to hit every month it’s open.

VelociBacon posted:

They seem fantastic! Fantastique

They are close enough we can torment their shop for a ride, and everything I have read appears positive.

Thanks for the input (validation).

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

:thunk:

This thread makes me resent Florida a little. I wish I could live somewhere with access to all your beautiful mtb-friendly mountains (or ANY mountains, for that matter), without giving up having interesting paddling spots.

We do get some cool swampy trails like Alafia, but it's not quite the same.

sounds like you need to move to Bend Oregon..

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

feelix posted:

A decently heavy (210lbs) and decently strong (350+ squat) guy just mashing up a short climb as hard as I can, shifting in the middle of it, not giving a gently caress at all

It's hard to get a good pic but it's a small section (like 5 or so teeth) of one of the big cogs bent out away from the wheel.

I don't see what Shimano and SRAM's marketing corporate bullying technical mastery could do to change the strength of steel. I highly doubt that they have some metallurgical expertise that Box lacks when sourcing their components. This is purely an issue of how strong the cogs are, and the thicker cogs of a 1x9 would be stronger.

Shift earlier and softer

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

What is the best option for frame protection? I have narrowed it down to using helicopter tape or one of the kits but thought I would ask ..

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Nocheez posted:

It took almost 2 weeks but I realize that I broke at least one rib in my last crash. Isn't it weird how the ugliest bruises don't hurt that much but stuff you can't see is agonizing?

I broke a couple fingers a few weeks ago and I swear they hurt worse now than they did the day it happened.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

spwrozek posted:

18 Road in Fruita is definitely going through some major changes. New Events area, converting the dispersed camping into actual camp sites, reserve online, new trails coming with emphasis on racing (I assume to draw in the Middle/High School racing).

Also heard this conversation while camping (it was a group of 8 adults and like 10 kids):

Guy 1: asked what they have been riding and if Guy 2 rode with kid 1 and 2
Guy 2: Yeah I rode with them this morning, they are pretty overrated. Their parents really talk them up but they are not that great.

None of the kids were over the age of 10... I am pretty sure mountain biking is about to really get ruined for a bunch of kids. Also just what a dick.

Parents like this are why I eventually quit referring.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

stratdax posted:

If anybody cares, here's a short video of my dog chasing me down a trail. Featuring a crash at the end. I was a bit unbalanced that whole ride and went right into a log after that small bump and went OTB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2TqrbGcWxc

The dog running into is worth extra points!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

My hardest fall was on a green trail at winter park when I feel in a corner. I broke two fingers, one that still hurts now and then.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

This is why it's been all flow trails for me since 'rona started. I aint stepping foot in a med facility unless you loving make me.

I have a heart condition and am doing all I can to avoid the coronavirus, so I skipped the hospital.

Edit: all I can reasonably do...

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Baronash posted:

I got excited and bought a pair of Chester pedals to go with the bike that’s getting here in a few days. The pins on the pedals are much more horrifying in person than they looked online. Are these things gonna tear my shins open, or do they really keep your feet in place?

You get used to the blood and the scars add character. Tall socks help staunch the flow of blood.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Can anyone recommend a Moab campsite that’s close to average man riding?

We would also be open to an air-b-n-b if you know of one that costs less than $400 a night.

Trail recommendations are also welcome.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Bud Manstrong posted:

Horsethief Campground is just up the road from Mag 7 and Navajo Rocks, and there are dispersed sites along the BLM road just past Horsethief. There are sites on Sand Flats road near Slickrock. Also some dispersed camping near the Sovereign trails, but it gets pretty UTV and shooty.

Bottom Liner posted:

The best place to camp in Moab is along the river just north of town off of 279. The sites are first come first serve though so it can be a little iffy but I've had luck stopping by the day before and asking a few folks to text me when they're heading out so I can grab a spot.

Eejit posted:

Not at liberty to disclose the exact camp, but BLM 137 past Lone Mesa Campground has a bunch of dirt tracks that head south and go into various rock formations that have great camping.

Last time I was out there we did Slick rock and Ahab and both were great. I'd say Ahab was like a top 3 trail for me. Interesting climbing, both technically and scenically. Descent had tons and tons of features, several of which were pretty wild.

Thank you for the suggestions think we will head down there in April or May.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

One more question for the weekend trip planning. Has anyone been to Bentonville Arkansas?

My wife, she is from the south, keeps bringing it up as a trip to link together with a visit to her parents.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Haven't been, plan to go once Covid is over.

The trails look nice, and there are camping or air-b-n-b available riding distance to the trails. Might have to cave and go along for the riding.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Car Hater posted:

Have done a two days there, was worth the stop. Some great trails in town and within a short drive, camping nearby, Walmart museum is pretty neat/horrifying depending on your perspective. If it's a longer stop there's some downhill action at lake leatherwood nearby.

Thank you.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

rockcity posted:

loving Florida...

I travel for work and you can add Montana, North Dakota, Wyoming, Texas, Oklahoma, and parts of Colorado to that list covid deniers

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Eejit posted:

The Ripmo AF I was supposed to get mid May has been delayed to September. I am sad.

I think there are a lot of people in the same boat. If you want a bike now you better be prepared to roll Walmart or have dentist money to spend.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Aphex- posted:

Sold my Jeffsy today, first time I've sold something so expensive to a stranger but it went smoothly and I got a great price for it (thanks covid).

I was going to keep it for a while and gradually upgrade it, but I've got a new bike on order now from a local company who have given me absolutely incredible service and with bikes actually in stock. This new bike once it arrives very soon (hopefully) is going to be insane. Will be posting NBD pics in here when I've finally got it!

Can you tell me who has bikes in stock. Been to every shop in town trying to find dad a bike and October looks like the earliest he can get one.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Perfect response..

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Homers BBBq posted:

On a side note, curious if people wear their wedding rings riding. Had my first good OTB crash this weekend and just had a few bruises except for a piece of skin missing on my ring finger. Wondering if that's a common occurrence or just a fluke. My ring has a tiny bit of play but not much and I was wearing gloves so struck me as a fluke.

Last year while riding at Winter Park I broke all the fingers on my left hand and I was barely able to get my ring off. It was swelled up to the point that we were seriously thinking about heading the emergency room for help, now I am either ringless or wearing a rubber ring.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

PolishPandaBear posted:

I was thinking about going to a bike park this weekend for my first time and renting a bike since all I have is a hard tail. They have bike insurance for $25. Is it a good idea to to pick it up?

I'm not going to be hucking it on A-Line style jumps or anything that might break the bike, but imagine I could fall and scratch something. Anyone have a recommendation here?

Last trip to Trestle I saw 20-30 bikes in the shop with cracked, broken, or otherwise damaged frames.

I would pay the $25

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

Anything I should know about potentially purchasing a demo bike?

I bought a demo bike and am happy with the bike, the shop, and the company who replaced the frame under warranty after it cracked.

I wouldn’t buy it if the company doesn’t have a good warranty.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I love Trestle bike park, but man gently caress i-70 and I-25

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

deong posted:

Hay!@ I was there today. gently caress the traffic so much. I wasn't driving so oh well I guess ha. Did you race?

I did not race, I was the old dude on a blue Thunderbolt, usually on the blue and green trails. It was a beautiful day and I’m glad we went before the weekend kicked off.

And have you ever seen so many adventure vans?!?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

[quote="Braincloud" post="516208666"]
Mammoth Mountain

Some days I miss living there.

How is Brekenridge bike park?

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 17, 2021

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

vikingstrike posted:

Wheelers to CT to Miners Creek is fun. There’s lots of good stuff in Breck.

Thank you I will look into it.

spwrozek posted:

Breck would be way down my list. Better to pedal in breck or do the free bus shuttle.

Thank you

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Been riding with a guy who has a 29r and watching him roll over obstacles I’m dodging has me aching for a 29r.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I would own all the goofy bikes if I had more room and more money

VelociBacon posted:

Well, he probably knows he has a 29r and actively chose it for stuff like that and probably makes a point of riding over that stuff because 29rs are marketed with that in mind. So he's self-selecting to some extent and it makes the fact he's going over that stuff more likely to be rider influenced and not equipment suitability. I bet you could ride over every single thing and barely notice a difference! Unless you have 26" wheels.

I do need to session or practice more than I do..