Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Me too

I planned to wait for the first deal to get this game but I dont know if Ill have the self control to do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Weasling Weasel posted:

I bounced off CK2 pretty hard as I don't really enjoy sandbox games where it gives you no instruction or overall goal other than one's you set yourself. Does the game with anything that can be reasonably considered a campaign at all, or is it all entirely sandboxy?

If you didint enjoy CK2, theres a 0% chance you will like 3

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Walh Hara posted:

I didn't like CK2 at all (played maybe 15 min), but really like CK3...

LordMune posted:

I'm very biased, but CK2 was mostly borderline unplayably impenetrable to me while CK3 is definitely comprehensible. That helps with the fun. :shrug:

Alright, I guess I was wrong

Still seems a kinda weird to me, they are mostly the same game

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

quote:

The Pope can no longer publicly accept cannibalism

Gotta love paradox

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Finally started playing this.

CK2 is my favorite game ever and I got thousands of hours on it, so I can say Im a CK veteran

So far Im loving it: its gorgeous, the new map system, with changing the map mode automatically depending on zoom, is amazingly well thought; the new hooks and intrigue system are a great improvement of what we had on CK2; I loved the new dinasty mechanics and how the game is more focused on that than before

At the same time, I missing some stuff from CK2. Like that screen we had with a tree with all vassals and their strength; the ledgers; the option to link an army to an allied army; the conclave council mechanics; the detailed laws instead of "crown authority". There game picks up where CK2 were on most stuff, but it also seems to have rolled back many details and mechanics. And the interface is kinda bad, I can see it got a long way to go

Also, what happened to the regencies? My liege and several neightbours are children but they dont seem to have a regent

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Various Meat Products posted:

Regency isn't in the game right now. I think it's pretty safe to assume that it along with law mechanics and the role of the council will be revisited in a future expansion. Also they added the ability to attach armies in the latest major patch, it's the button that looks like a chain.

Thanks, I didint noticed it

edit: I find amazing that CK3 runs faster and smoother in my PC than CK2 ran

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 5, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
If I have some succession law that requires High Crown Authority set, am I going to lose it if I lower crown authority? I want to get rid of partition but I want my vassals to be able to wage wars and whatnot. I hate to be back on "crown authority"

I also hate how innovations are locked behind arbitrary dates, apparently just to lock us out of the good succession laws for most of the game time. Its dumb and goes against the dynamic history nature of the game

Im loving the game and in mostly everything it is a great improvment over CK2, but there a few areas where it is a step back from it

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
When is the first expansion coming out? Are they doing big expansions like for example Civ (or like what they did in the past) or small DCLs, like in CK2/Eu4?

edit: for someone who played countless hours of CK2 and had all DLCs, CK3 is being a bit of a mixed bag: the base game is amazing and a great improvement over CK2; specially character development and the whole intrigue/hook system is so superior I cant ever go back to CK2. At the same time, there are mechanics where CK3 is a step back from CK2 (like crown authority instead of the individual laws, the conclave council, no regencies etc) and a lot of stuff lacking on interface, map modes, ledgers, etc; and I keep missing those stuff a lot

edit 2: vvvv this is good

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 11, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is there any guide on cadets and stuff? Im still clueless on that

So much that something happened yesterday on my current game that I dont know if its a bug or just something that happens:

House Caldeira is a dynasty I created in this game, since I used the custom ruler designer. With time, a bunch of cadet houses were created from it, which is pretty cool.

But, all of a sudden one of them, Mondoñedo, is being listed like "Founding House", when the founding house, as I understand, would be Caldeira branch, which is now listed as a cadet branch. Mondoñedo is a very small and recent branch, as you can see on the print, with nobody important on it. Caldeira is still the branch Im in (Im the empress)

I have no idea what happened here. I had changed the name of my house some time ago, I wonder if that caused the game to freak like that? I changed back later, but still Mondonẽdo is listed as founder

Or this has some explanation?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah the counter efficiency is scaled by relative numbers.

I don't think the AI gets breaks on MaA though (in fact they use very few of them). If you're having trouble with paying them check out the Stewardship tree, you can use Dread to get a 50% maintenance discount, which together with the myriad of other bonuses can get you free MaA.

Yeah, my impression is that the AI does not makes full use of them

During my whole game, while having all the MaA I could hire, I always had more armies than anyone my size, and usually more than than some bigger nations

By the way, is there any good MaA guides? About composition and stuff

Also, is there really no way of selecting which part of your levies/MaA you want to raise? I like how convenient the "raise all" button is, but as your armies get bigger, you wont be using them all every time.

Right now in my game I own a huge empire so 75K troops, but for most wars I dont need much more than 10K. And 75K raised will put me at -150G income, so is very unsustainable anyway

So every time Ill do: raise all at some rally point; merge all; select what I want (usually all the MaA and knights and 1 or 2 levies), dismiss the rest. Is very annoying

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Trevor Hale posted:

When you hit your raise all, your MAA are always raised first. So you can watch the number go up to a spot where you feel comfortable and then stop the raising.

Or. Raise only local troops which will raise all MAA and troops from nearby counties.

Are you sure? The raise local usually only give me like 5K troops (depending on where I raise them), and I have 11K only in MaA

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ill try that

And drat, I love this game. Yesterday out of nowhere I noticed the Empress of HRE, her husband and some of her sons were.. naked.

First I thought it was a bug, but them I realized they were no longer catholics, but had converted to some heresy. And looking at it, I find it has "naturalism" or something. And that, besides being incredibly funny, also had a big impact in the game: it caused her to be hated by her vassals and so the HRE blob to finally break after a huge independence rebellion, after 250 years of stability

This kind of stuff is why I love CK

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

We love the Adamites don’t we folks?

Yeah, thats the one

Now Im thinking of converting to it too, after I finish eating the remains of the HRE

I wanted to create my own crazy egalitarian heresy but the piety cost is way to high, I never manage to accumulate enough. So this one might do, and I like being naked too

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
"befriend" is a little overpowered inst it?

Seems very easy to get a 100% chance of success or near with pretty much anyone. Than you can befriend all your vassals and do whatever you want

And being on the first level of its skill tree makes it very easy to get too

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Midgetskydiver posted:

It's balanced by not being a true 100% and taking a year to achieve, during which you can't do any other personal schemes.

Usually 10 months here, and I dont think Ive only seen it not finish with me and the guy being friends once, and I been using it a lot. Not sure is a great balance

Is not like is hard to keep your vassals happy when you are big and rich even without it, but being able to so easily make all your powerful vassals friends makes it trivial

I would bet thats getting nerfed soon

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Magil Zeal posted:

I don't think those are "normal" murders you're describing, it sounds like an event chain which has a high chance of one of your heirs ending up as the culprit of a string of murders. I'm guessing they just didn't put sanity checks on this to see whether or not the person would be likely to go on a murder spree.

I had that one with my first ruler of my first Ck3 game

Fucker killed all my male heirs, one by one.

But it was ok cause it made my heir my grandaughter who happened to have a claim on the kingdom of France

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ElectronicOldMen posted:

I really hope they add to the sim aspect of the game. Having religions represented as percentages could be nice.

Especially if you could see religious pressure from nearby localities. Or to watch as populations of one religion flee from a county due to war or plague. My ideal CK3 would be a combination of alot of smaller systems that interact with each other to give that wonderful Rube Goldbergesque quality that CK2 could have at times. That plus a whole bunch of ways to roleplay your ruler dealing with the situations that arise due to this interplay.

Basically anything to deepen the game because at this point it feels like a mile wide and an inch deep. That inch is amazing though, I just want more of it.

Plus once you understand the game it is far too easy, anything to add a bit of challenge and variety would be nice.

I think CK lacks a lot on the economic and social aspect

I mean, I wish we would not only deal with the aristocracy and their politics, but also the real people, other than have they rebel every once in a while

I want to deal with laws and politics for the common people, and stuff like immigration, famines, a bit of trade

This would all improve the domestic aspect of the game and could be used to make huge blobs more unstable and harder to keep

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PittTheElder posted:

If they are attacking AIs, sure. This does not go against the player, the AI does not understand how to wage war effectively at all, which is a much bigger problem than blobbing.

Thats true. And is weird, in CK2 it looked a lot more competent

Im my current game (also my first Ck3 game) Byz also remained stable for the whole game, but I was allied with them for most of it

Than almost 1400 and an emperor raises that had claims on my empire title, thanks to all those wedding we had for generations. I thought I was up to a hard fight, as I had around 60K troops and them had around 80K

It was actually ridiculous: they scattered all their army in my land while I went down on them with my united 60K army and destroyed their stacks, one by one. It was over very quick

Maybe they never even raised all their troops, but Im not sure

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The game is amazing, if you like CK2 you will enjoy. Have in mind that in some aspects (like governments, laws, regencies, the council), it is not still quite where CK2 + all DLC were. But the base game is a huge step forward in most aspects, and does incorporates a lot of CK2 DLC features, but now much better integrated

The AI is kinda dumber, though

About tutorials, lps and all: if you know how to play CK2, I dont think you will need it

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I dont think it was OP or needed any nerf

This is the kinda of stuff that dont make the game harder at all: that little duke our count that wont accept vassalization anymore from your huge rear end empire, he poses no danger, he will lose any war. Conquering it is no challenge, is just click work

It was enough that you needed True Ruler to get anyone but dejures to accept anyway

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Magil Zeal posted:

Offer Vassalization was pretty key to the whole "conquer the world in less than half a centaury" strategy if I recall, because you could get your general opinion so high that just about anyone would accept your offer of vassalization once you were emperor. I mean if that doesn't bother you fair enough, and it doesn't really bother me either, but like the NK strategy it was something Paradox probably felt they needed to address.

I don't think the perk is changing?

Thats not my experience, though.

Even when I was the biggest empire in the world and had 100 relations with pretty much everyone, I could only get vassalizations from small dukes and counts of my religion, either de jure or, when not, if I had True Ruler.

In any case, like SlothBear said, the kind of realm that you can conquer in 4 clicks. So thats what the vassalization saved you: a boring small war you were 100% sure you would win with no relevant losses

Also, from a "role playing" point of view, it totally makes sense that a small realm would just accept vassalization against a huge empire it cant possibly beat in a war, its on their best interest. Heck, I, the player, will do that if I have a huge expanding neightbour I have no chance of resisting, and even when its religion is different than mine

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 9, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

scaterry posted:

I just want to clarify something: the reason why the WC speedrun strategy can offer vassalization in the first place is because it uses an infinite piety glitch to be able to convert to any faith at will.

It's an effective nerf to True Ruler, because vassalization acceptance is so tight that any nerf to a positive modifier is a nerf to the whole mechanic. For example, the margin of error on vassalizing non-dejure different-culture same-faith counts/dukes is only 3 points, even with True Ruler.

Exactly, its always that tight

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

scaterry posted:

Man, diplo-vassalization became worthless. The rank difference bonus got nerfed way down to +5, from +25. It's only possible to vassalize feudal rulers now. If you don't think that's a huge downside, you should count the number of independent feudal dukes/counts there are in the 867 start. Goddamnit.

That was the dumbest nerf

Diplo-vassalization was fine as it was

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
CK2 AI wanst amazing but it was good enough, to me

CK3 AI really is noticeable worst, specially at combat

I hope they can bring it at least to CK2 level

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What bothers me about technology is being gated by specific dates and the good inheritances being available so late in the game. That sucks

Apart from that, theres some stuff I miss from CK2 too:
- the council
- individual laws instead of CA
- equipment & artifacts
- secret societies

Specially the first 2, it feels such a drawback compared to CK2

At the same time, everything else is much improved and the new stuff is all amazing. But I do miss those

edit: also miss having control over what parts of your army you want to raise
edit 2: also I didint play any non-chirstians non-feudals yet, Im sure CK3 is somewhat lacking at those too

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

megane posted:

They should really have a whole succession interface where you can fiddle with the distribution of your titles. Making it unfair gives big penalties to the main heir and pisses everyone off, so you actually get civil wars and poo poo. Succession is core to the game, it shouldn’t be this clumsy automatic thing with zero interactivity and almost no repercussions.

Yeah, that. Partition could be interesting with that and primo being so late would be less unberable

Also is even worst when you start on the earlier date and have access to nothing but ultimogeniture so no partition problems but you are stuck with random 60 years old uncles inheriting only to die 5 years later for more than a century

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 29, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is anyone else here playing the linux port?

It was working fine in my first game (before the first DLC was released), but now in my second it started freezing at random, freezing in a way I have to force close it (the interface freezes completely, but the audio continues playing like notjing happened). And worst: it often happens when saving the game

Sometimes I can play for hours without it happening, sometimes it happens every 15, 20 minutes. It is getting unplayable

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Serephina posted:

I think I may have had that freeze once in the past, but it's very rare and didn't really effect long play sessions. Sorry!

Is weird, actually

Just yesterday I played for around 3 hours with no issue. But sometimes it just starts happening

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The only way I found to win a crusade:

1- wait for everyone to raise their armies and sail to the target, then you go (but dont wait too long or they will attack without you)

2- they will all be gathered at some place, usually moving around aimlessly as the AI does; go where they are

3- they will start following you like a pack of dogs. move slowly to where the enemies stacks are

Only works if you are the strongest guy on your side, it seems. But I managed to win a crusade or 2 doing that

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 12, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Gantolandon posted:

First of all, they all land in Syria or Egypt and barely try to reach the target of their Crusade

Yeah, thats what usually happens, on my experience too

And thats when you should arrive with your doomstack where they are and they will start following you

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I still dont have the first DLC but this one will be a day 1 purchase for me

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

How are u posted:

My recent games have all been short (couple hundred years, from 867) and Euro-centric, so I haven't seen the Mongols come and reshape the world. That sounds pretty intense and apocalyptic.

Mine too (euro centric, I mean) and what usually happens is that they come very strong until they are around Persia and than they stop advancing. And a few decades later they will break into pieces

They dont seems all that dangerous unless you are on the far east side of the map

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 23, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I miss the Aztecs. They made a great end game boss, when you were already huge and too powerful to be threatened

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

nuketulsa posted:

So my liege (King of Hungary - he’s going to die soon I think) became independent from the HRE after a war, I kind of helped. Now can I fight for my own independence and form my own kingdom of Transylvania or does it have to be a de jure kingdom? I see “form new kingdom” as a major decision but I’m not sure what’s going to happen when I can finally click it.

Sorry for newb question. I’m having a lot of fun with this and I’m for sure looking forward to seeing how they expand it.

Also I kind of wish I had a buffer with the Byzantines.. I hope I can get an alliance or something.

E: okay I think I get it, I can make a new kingdom with the duchies I control (3) but if I form a de jure kingdom I get claims on the parts I don’t own

You can also get Hungary itself for you.

On the stewardship lifestyle theres a perk called Meritocracy that allows you to scheme for a claim on your liege's main title

Thats usually my favorite method of breaking free

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Why? I havent meddled much with religion creation yet

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ilitarist posted:

Ah.

Well, I expect something like that to come after the things that defined the era, like the development of cities and, well, trade.

Yeah, trade is really lacking. Else theres little point in playing anything but a european feudal ruler or a nordic tribal right now.

On some things the game is still a long way from CK2 even. But I trust everything is coming in time

edit: also I dont know if techs are included in that culture overhaul DLC planned, but it also needs some care. Im playing a game from 870 to the tie limit, just to se how it goes, how far I can take my dynasty etc, and I finished all techs by 1250, 200 years before the time limit. It seems not ideal

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 7, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Check any weaker neightbour you might have and create claims on their land

Also, if you got vassal counts on your main duchy, create claims on them too and steal their land for your desmene

edit: also it might be easier, and I think is more fun, if you create your own character with great stats (martial is very important at the start; high martial means you are likely to be stronger than same sized realms near you)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 8, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I thought everyone started with house seniority in 867? Thats was what I had at the start in my last game, has a duke in Italy. I was only able to switch to partition much later.

But it was my only game starting on 870, I guess it depends on your culture or something?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Veryslightlymad posted:

Yeah. Certain things in this game get a bad reputation they don't deserve.

Lower crown authority is another maligned "problem" that's frequently good, because you'll look away for a few minutes and suddenly you control almost all of Morocco somehow.

True but only in my last game I learned you can have that with any crown authority: you just have to modify your vassal contracts adding "sanctioned wars". And since they like it, you can also rise their taxes or levies along for free

PittTheElder posted:

Most everybody starts with Confederate Partition. House Seniority is a cultural thing.

Ah, so I had and easier time than most. Although house seniority sucks a lot when your dynasty starts to get old: I got locked on a string of 60+ years old rulers for a while, so I had to deal with succession every 5-10 goddamn years

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

binge crotching posted:

There are two people who start with house seniority.

The Duke of Bohemia, who has Czech culture. Once the Czechs (or Slovakians) research their special cultural tech, any Czech/Slovakian ruler can use house seniority.

And what you ended up with, the secret cheat code of the Duke of Verona. It's tied to the title d_verona, but as of the 1.4 patch it's not inheritable by anyone else. Pre-1.4 it was possible to take your standard unreformed tribal viking, and conquer Verona, getting house seniority for any culture. It changed so now it starts with it, but if the title is usurped or destroyed it won't transfer. It's still possible to get an early house seniority by using inheritance shenanigans, but a lot more difficult.

Ah, thats what happened then.

I actually started as duchy of Friuli, using a custom character, but he also has the duchy of Verona (edit: I think, now Im not sure)