Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

teacup posted:

I managed to pre order it. Are they censoring it? What is even in the game to worry about?

It managed to get an M rating from the ESRB so I assume rather a lot!

(my guess is that the move from portraits to 3D models with the occasional nudity/bloody wounds/disease disfigurements raised the hackles of some ratings people).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

fuf posted:

looks like they were limited to about 20 minutes.

A couple of the streams on the playlist LordMune linked have already run longer than that (Spiffing Brit/Lionheart/Enter Elysium).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

One of the streamers said that Paradox had asked them to ham it up/roleplay a bit, so I guess a lot of them settled on "costumes" as a way to do that?

Honestly I don't mind but I'm sure the people jonesing for hours upon hours of uncut gameplay aren't going to be happy until Monday when the streaming embargo drops.

(or today's dev stream I guess?)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Kyle Hyde posted:

Was there no official live stream today?

There was, but apparently you'll find the VOD at the end of the Imperator stream they did right before it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

This suggests it will absolutely be available on PC Game Pass on the 1st.

edit: also actually checking Game Pass I guess!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

In terms of stat boosts from perks those are the only ones that don't have some kind of restraint on them (the ones based on Fame or Devotion are capped since those stats have max levels, the boost from councillors depends on their stats).

A softcap on friends similar to the one for lovers (keeping too many stresses you out) is probably an answer here but honestly I'm not sure if this really urgently needs nerfing, depending on how strong stat effects even are (and whether their bonuses to stuff like events have broader ranges than they did in CK2). The family tree needs something cool and it's gonna take a lot of work to send it infinite like this.

If nothing else dude's got to die eventually and having that many potential claimants in Byzantium (anywhere really but especially Byzantium) sounds like Fun.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

They said they would honour existing preorders but I guess that just means "if you've already ordered on Paradox or Steam you're fine", for other outlets it's up to the store?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

oddium posted:

my non dynastic non courtier heir is imprisoned and i can't think of a way to kill her or free her. also i can't change the inheritance laws what should i do

If they're non-dynastic why do you want to free them? But that said, if you give them money they might be able to pay their own ransom, or if you switch to intrigue focus you might be able to use a targeted decision on them to scheme to free them from captivity. Who has them locked up, are they out of diplo range so it won't let you plot to kill them?

PittTheElder posted:

Wait are the characters actually going to be nude for the nudist types or whatever?

I think there are like fig leaves over genitalia but otherwise characters appear nude in the relevant contexts (nudists, certain events).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 29, 2020

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Vichan posted:

Only a few days 'till release and all I can think is "Please let there be a ruler history... :spergin:"

I've seen screenshots of the title history screen (pretty similar to the CK2 version just in the new UI style) but I can't turn them up now. If that's what you meant.

Eimi posted:

Did we ever figure out how Muhammad is going to be shown? I really hope it's a fully 3d bit of writing.

Despite all these leaked Islamic gameplay screenshots from some dude's Steam profile who didn't realise he was posting them publicly before Reddit noticed, not one of them has an answer to this question.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

luxury handset posted:

has there been any word on when the game will be released on tuesday?

We know it'll be Tuesday around 1800 CEST (12 noon EST).

https://twitter.com/delrue_rodrigue/status/1298468436046237696

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 30, 2020

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Swedish Horror posted:

A lot of gameplay from various youtubers is going to drop tomorrow and I can't decide whether to watch it or wait to play myself. Both options are torture.

Let's be honest, I'm you're going to watch. Pick someone doing a playthrough you weren't planning on and go to town.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Yeah, I haven't played MP in ages but it really sounded just like a Not Too Serious MP game with buddies - maybe some of those buddies are a bit grating but that was the main thing that annoyed me about that video, not the costume interludes (which it really seems clear Paradox at least encouraged).

Oh well, the Serious Streamers are getting at this tomorrow so we'll stop needing to have this debate.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Jedit posted:

Does anyone know if you have to unlock the Monarch's Journey rewards before CK3 comes out?

They can only be unlocked until September 2nd apparently, but like Knuc said, any of them that you don't unlock will be available for free at some unspecified later date.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 31, 2020

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

Got a link to this? I really don't think I'll be able to go back to CK2 once I get bitten by the bug of the new game.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Paradox thinks it's a good idea to release CK3, but the joke's on them. I won't have to buy another game for the next 10 years!

Joke's on you, that's what the DLC is for!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The CK2 challenges will be retired tomorrow, apparently (well, September 2nd, but not sure if they'd set out a specific time). So if you'd rather speedrun CK2 challenges than dive into CK3 then you have a bit of time but otherwise, you get to wait for whenever PDS roll the cosmetics out for everyone.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

quote:

That seems weirdly counter-productive toward the trait's intent. Maybe they should make it so that trait doesn't give you stress when giving land away while over the domain limit.

Pretty sure this is actually true, but any titles you give away while at or under the domain limit will trigger Stress if you're ambitious.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

So my new Archbishop seduced the Welsh princess I'd married off to my grandson, but I liked him and he liked me and he was really good at fabricating claims so I didn't want to roll the dice on whichever moron the Pope would appoint next, so I let him be - unfortunately, said grandson, while clever enough to realise he was being cucked by a bishop and angry enough to try and kill said bishop in revenge, wasn't good enough not to get caught.

Fast forward a decade or two, grandson inherits the kingdom plus an unsalvageably angry Archbishop who then comes to me in an event with "incontrovertible evidence that our marriage is consanguineous" - so my options are to divorce the wife (who is still sleeping with the Archbishop) or owe the Archbishop (who again, hates the gently caress out of new-me) a favour for covering said evidence up.

Ya know what, fair play, you're welcome to her.

GOTY all years etc.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Iymarra posted:

What start date and province is this sister thunderbowl? I like doing lady-starts for challenge.

867-The Great Adventurers bookmark, Daurama, Countess of Daura is the main start being discussed (she's the one that gets a special decision to go Female Preference and has an achievement to go for) but really any West African start is very thunderdomey and a lot of the relevant faiths start out at least Equal (Bori, Orisa, and Roog Sene are all Equal and pretty prominent in that area).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

a7m2 posted:

What benefit can seducing someone give that sway doesn't?

To add to the babies and scabies, also like four times the opinion points per scheme (you can repeat sway so you can balance that out eventually, tbf).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Moldy Sausage posted:

It seems like a lot of effort just to take a single county though. Especially since I have to wait for the truce to end to even try to take a second one. Is there really no way to press multiple claims at once?

There is, but it's gated behind the Divine Right innovation (High Medieval era, post-1050).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Excelzior posted:

The only time Ive been able to use Integrate is for custom-made kingdoms created with the decision

I'm currently using Integrate to try and drift Cornwall into (independent) Brittany in my game, and it SEEMS to be working/helping but it'll take 40 more years for me to know for sure.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's already been done (linked to earlier in the thread) https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2218178473

As someone who had insane amounts of modded music for CK2, the thing that the new system makes harder about music modding is mostly that there's limited control over when something plays - you either have a massive pool of "ambient" music that can be picked at any time or place and so would ideally be relatively unobtrusive, or you have ONE song per event cue, so you can't, say, add a selection of 10 Mad Epic songs to cue when you declare war or get into combat, you have to have that one specific one and either a mod has to replace it, or has to modify the events/CBs that call it (which is messy for compatibbility).

I like the OST and I like the bones of the system but I'm hoping it gets work.

(also bring back the horrifying death screams please and thank you, mass execution is weirdly boring in this one)

quote:

I wonder if the split is between people who had mastered the CK2 UI and people who never did? I couldn't play CK2, not for lack of trying, and can play CK3 after (gulp) three trips through the tutorial. There are things I can't figure out how to do that were visible parts of the old UI, but on the other hand the old UI had so drat much data that I couldn't figure out which parts were important.

Speaking of which, how the hell do I change lifestyle?

I had 3000 hours in CK2 and like to think I mastered the UI (on the other hand, there's a combat detail screen in the old game that I literally discovered three days ago soooo....). I think the new system is an upgrade but maybbe not as unambiguously as it felt on day 1. Doesn't help that the colour choices mean that stuff like the education button or the title history button doesn't stand out. Also the fine-grained notification and pause controls were really handy - like it would be great if we could somehow keep the tab-button Issues stuff but select some of them to get popups or some way to really grab hold of your attention.

Also I KINDA miss the ledger even though I know I barely looked at it before. Just having the option, you know?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 4, 2020

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Stokes posted:

Is there a way to invite people other than Court Physician/Champions to your court? I get that luck of the draw is a thing and I can't expect everyone to be 15+ at the start, but I'd like a way for me to be able to pay for that option. The first thing I do every game I start is invite Champions to replace all the 8 and 9 and even lower Prowess champions. It makes a huge difference.

I'm pretty sure you can still invite anyone, but most people not summoned by one of those decisions (or Invite Claimants) or brought to your court by marriage, or arriving at your court while already wandering and unattached, simply won't come due to a huge base reluctance penalty that it's tricky to overcome - it's a deliberate change from CK2 in order to make it harder to assemble super-courts, I gather.

(it's probably still worth it for PDS to bring back the "will join court" filter on character search, but then again they should ALSO bring back save slots for filter patterns and game rules sets while they're at it)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Jeza posted:

So I'm Anglifying parts of Wales, will the children and heirs of my Welsh vassals eventually turn culturally Anglo-Saxon? Or will there forever be a rash of Welshies until they get usurped?

You can offer your Welsh vassals Anglo-Saxon guardians for their heirs to speed up the process (make sure to check the convert culture option when you do), but yes, rulers do sometimes go native and adopt the local culture of their county even if it's changed by, say, their liege importing settlers to subvert it from underneath them.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Fragrag posted:

So I hold the Kingdom of Ireland and I've managed to vassalize enough of Wales for me to create the Kingdom of Wales title. With succession the way it is, is it better for me to hold off on creating the Kingdom of Wales title lest I want to lose it on my death?

If you still have confederate partition then you literally have no choice in the matter, it'll automatically be created when you die. If you have any other partition law then yeah, hold off until you can create an empire title, unless you're fine with Wales going independent under your second kid.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Zohar posted:

I think they wanted it to be more of a negative feedback system compared to CK2 where it was easy for religions to just fall apart irreparably, so now if a religion loses ground it becomes more consolidated to make up for it, but it seems really wonky atm

Yeah, I get what they were going for and I liked what they were going for because CK2's Catholicism death spiral was similarly bad just in a different way, but I guess they haven't quite nailed it yet. Agree that tweaking the impact of sinful bishops can't hurt - 10 fervor for ONE bad priest among, potentially, hundreds seems out of whack.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 8, 2020

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Gasmask posted:

This reminds me - what happened to ‘press all claims’? Is it gated now?

Yes, it's gated behind a High Medieval era innovation.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Yeah, there's a reason why your military screen includes a calculation of how long your current gold reserves can maintain a full raise of your troops. It's always going to be expensive but there are ways to keep it from ruining you.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

yikes! posted:

I do t understand how something like the extended outliner mod can prevent achievements. It’s so arbitrary.

UI and text modding is a lot more capable and flexible than it used to be (and even in the last game localisation mods were able to expose a lot of hidden information) so assuming one accepts the need to gate achievements at all then I don't think it's arbitrary to gate them behind "no non-cosmetic mods".

I can imagine some more involved way than "checksum on the relevant folders and block if any changes" to determine if a mod impacts the game mechanics without being so hardass about it but at that point it gets into :effort: for a dev so I guess we all get used to blank achievement pages (or popping them with SAM/enabling modded achievements with Cheat Engine)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The key thing about CK is that none of these approaches are exclusive. You can pursue all of them and just see which one will pay off first.

Also, be ready to think on your feet when the game throws wrinkles into your Grand Plans.

In my Brittany->Celtic Britannia game I've managed to kick the Vikings off the island except for a few stray counties, and I'd betrothed my grandson to a Scottish princess so he would inherit a claim to Scotland, which at the time had a firm hold on the rest of Britain that I didn't own, so conquering them would let me form the Empire in one fell swoop.

Twenty years later, I'm playing as my son, Scotland's fallen apart and had major duchies inherited away by nobles in Asturias and loving France, and to top things off I made the mistake of landing that grandson (now my heir) after one of my childless brothers got deposed by a revolt in Mercia, the duchy reverted to me, and I wanted to keep Mercia in family hands because it's loving huge and easier to keep the family in line.

Then he decided he could conquer Scotland all on his own (see: Mercia, Swolest Duchy) and got himself killed in the process while all the while refusing to let me ally with him so I could intervene because of the huge penalty for the claims he has on me.

At least his son was able to keep the war even though I can't find the claim to Scotland on his sheet. Maybe he'll let me save him from daddy's dumb decision, but then I have to figure out how to get Moray and Hwicce back. Lucky France has lost Aquitaine (first to Gavelkind, then Vikings started biting off pieces of it) and Asturias is losing ground to the Muslims so it might not be too hard to win but ugh, stupid King Frobert, I should have schemed to replace you sooner!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

So uh, what exactly is the difference between the three partition laws? They read identical to me.

Confederate: Partition except that you can't evade realm splits by holding back on creating top-level titles, any that you COULD have created when you die will be automatically created

Partition: normal

High: partition except that your primary heir always gets at least half the titles regardless of how many kids you have.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Communist Walrus posted:

One of my duke-level vassals suddenly became independent and took three counties with him. His lands are labeled as the Company of the Skull Cup. What the heck happened? Did he inherit a mercenary company or something?

I've seen spare sons with nothing to do end up wandering into mercenary companies instead of other courts. If they then end up as captain (ie, already holding a duke-tier title) and then enough of the siblings ahead of them conveniently die then I guess that could be the result?

This one doesn't do that, it just puts a range limit on the Conquest CB that Vikings etc. use.

Exclave rule has always been a Band-Aid, a better answer is to make overseas territory harder to hold in general (more likely to revolt, make boating more expensive in money and attrition, etc) but obviously that will make map painting harder for players too.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 20, 2020

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Toplowtech posted:

Under partition you can't give titles the target does not stand to inherit.

This is frequently said but not quite true, and misunderstanding it steers people away from a pretty easy way to handle partition succession.

What you can't do is give your PRIMARY heir anything he wouldn't already be inheriting. You can give secondary heirs anything you want, the game will just recalculate afterwards and count what they already own against what they would get from you when you die.

Here's an example from my game. I'm King and Duke of Brittany, and hold all the counties in Brittany personally. Only one kingdom, so that goes to my primary heir. Only one duchy, so that goes to my primary heir. Because of this, gavelkind starts splitting at the county level. But if the secondary heirs all already HAVE duchies, no matter what size they are, the game decides "we good" and leaves my counties alone (at least, any counties inside Brittany).

I want to keep the capital duchy together, so since I've been reconquering the Isles, any time I seize or create a new duchy from my conquests and I have a son that isn't a duke already, I give it to him. This has worked for me under both Confederate and regular partition, as long as I only hold one title at my top level (ie, one kingdom as a king, and not having enough land in another kingdom to create it).

Another thing that has worked for me is to add an elective law to my capital duchy. Since I'm holding all its provinces personally, I'm the only voter and it reliably goes to whichever son I want, along with all its counties. I'm not entirely sure how this will interact with partition on another held duchy yet, or trying to hold two elective duchies as crown lands, but we'll see.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 12, 2020

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

There's a slight problem where you still get patriarchal outrage events after legalizing hedonistic group sex.

Like, are you really surprised your concubine stepped out on you, sir? Are you paying attention at lust temple?

I suspect those still happen without the Polyamory tenet (which looks like it's about how believers feel about their own partners stepping out, as opposed to the crime doctrines which are about other people's partners stepping out) or with Consorts and Concubines (which imply a more posesssive sort of relationship than a secondary spouse).

But I haven't played with either yet so that's more of a guess.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am also thinking about just revoking one of this dude's Kingdom titles lol

Probably do this in the short run.

In the long run maybe make sure you own all of any Guinean Empire kingdom that borders yours so de jure drift will work (esp. with the new Chancellor job to speed that up?).

In the even longer run, yeah Primogeniture or constantly killing off spare heirs or making the empires elective and making sure the elections pick the same candidate, but at empire scale "making sure the elections pick the same candidate" is bloody hard.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Apparently it only works for independent rulers. If a king's vassal conquers some poo poo at the other side of the map, it won't break apart.

This doesn't seem true, because the French exclave in Gloucester in my game (owned by the Duke of Flanders when he inherited it from Scotland) went independent via the exclave rule (or at least it looked like the exclave rule, they all went independent at once and there wasn't a war) after I landlocked it by conquering the two French coastal counties in York.

I think the main thing is that ANY naval path is enough for an exclave to stay attached on all settings, no matter how long, and also there's no range limit on Vikings using the conquest CB on coastal provinces (specifically Vikings, anyone else can only use it on land or sea neighbours).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

All the Norse holy sites are a stone's thrown down the continent from Denmark, how hard can it be?

The mod in question nerfs the CB very harshly - it cuts it down to only land (and land bridge) neighbours, no overseas use at all even if its relatively close.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 15, 2020

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

So my current game is in the place where I'm not planning any more expansion (conquered Britain and Ireland, formed Britannia, rapidly genociding culture-converting the Saxons and Norse off the islands with the speed boost from the Reclaim Britannia decision), the main goal is planting my dynasty on other thrones and keeping them there through carefully applied force, and the main threat is now civil wars (unless the united Muslim Spain or the Karling France that just took Lotharingia get uppity I guess, but the latter are still on Confederate Partition for some reason and the current king has four sons so WELP).

Anyway, the latest Liberty Faction I'm fighting has run into a neat little wrinkle that works differently than I remember from CK2:

Heirs don't automatically replace their predecessors in a faction/civil war anymore? So as the new game's insanely lethal battles (plus my four 20+ prowess superknights) kill off rebel dukes, even when I lose I still win? Is this how it's supposed to work now?

appropriatemetaphor posted:

When you die you get that kinda cool screen that shows your past kings and queens or whatever.

Any way to access that screen normally?

Click the magnifying glass at the left end of the speed/date bar, select Lineage.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Communist Walrus posted:

How many generations will inherit implicit claims? My ruler cranked out a bunch of kids and I'd like to land them, but they all have implicit claims and I worry about the headaches it'll cause decades later if their kids and their kids' kids all have the same claims.

Implicit claims turn into pressed claims when the relevant title holder dies, then the claimant's heir inherits them as unpressed, then (if not pressed) they vanish when the heir dies.

tl;dr: ruler's grandkids will have claims, after that you're fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

BigRoman posted:

Has anyone noticed the Pope calling constant crusades? My Pope is calling a crusade like, every 6 years, even though catholic fervor hovers around 35%. Don't get me wrong, with a Karling start, its an easy way to get relatives on foreign thrones, but it seems a little excessive. I think you should need a minimum fervor of like 75% to call a crusade. They should make crusades more of an act of desperation by an embattled religion rather than a giant land grab.

I was looking at the GHW CBs for an unrelated tweak I was planning, and noticed that the crusade cooldown was reduced from 30 years in CK2 to 5 years, so while this isn't a bug it seems like a terrible decision.