Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Apparently local artisans are stuck with that shame forever. I hooked/married someone with an inspiration into my court, and they produced a common artifact. Looking into the save the artifact has 20 quality/25 wealth, like a local artisan is capped at... so I figure some AI commissioned an artifact, hired the guy as a court artificer afterward, and he got an inspiration. But the local_artisan flag is never removed, so even if they get a real inspiration later they'll still produce junk.

e: Looking into it further I think they try to remove the local_artisan variable when the artifact is complete, but there is no local_artisan variable, it's a character flag.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Bird in a Blender posted:

I was going for the Perfect Circle achievement, but something must have gotten screwed up, or I screwed up because when I got to my great-grandchild, nothing popped up. Not really inclined to try for this one again. Apparently getting Pure Blood is like impossible. I had the Blood dynasty legacies filled out, plus Strong Blood, and none of my children, grandchildren, or great-grandchildren got it. There must have been 40 kids all together. Has anyone been able to get it naturally?

According to the wiki Perfect Circle actually requires a maximum of 12 ancestors in the last five generations. So it actually looks up to your great-great-great-grandparents, not just great-granparents like the description claims. So just keep going for two more generations if you haven't deleted the save out of frustration or something.

I haven't got pure blood naturally myself, but I haven't tried either. You want 22 common ancestors in the last 4 generations to maximize the chance of getting it (grand total of 2.24%, so 40 kids still has a 40% of no one getting it, even if you had had a perfect setup for it), and gently caress trying to figure out the specific amount of inbreeding to get that. Plus you need at least 20 common ancestors to even have a chance of getting it, so even half-siblings or parent-child isn't enough without earlier inbreeding. And full siblings increases the chances of getting inbred (which overrides pure blood) enough that you have I think 0.9% chance per child?

It's so much easier to just set the character finder to search for everyone in the world with pure blood (preferably after getting little exclaves all over the place for diplo range) and abduct them. If you only have one (or multiple of the same sex) land them and marry them to four fertile people, if you get two of the opposite sex (with at least the woman young enough), well, you've got your breeding pair (jesus christ that feels so disgusting to even type) right there. Just load them up with fertility boosting artifacts. Then once you have a good population of people with the trait in your realm start marrying some of them to your children. Or start seducing all of them yourself. 10% chance for the trait to get passed if one parent has it.

I had I think two vassals with pure blood married to one other pure blood each in the early 1200s my previous game before I got bored and started another campaign. It's doable. Worth the effort, eh, probably not honestly. You can get your close family to herculean beautiful fecund geniuses fairly easily without closer than cousin marriages. You could probably avoid those too without too much trouble, but the marriage UI keeps resetting your sorting so I can't be arsed.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Bird in a Blender posted:

Well that's stupid that it actually requires 2 more generations that what's described. I got hosed because my son and daughter had 3 boys and then she died in childbirth. I thought I was good though because she at least birthed the great grandchild, but I'm kind of hosed now, I'd have to start the line all over again. I'm just not that interested in doing it anymore.

I had actually started this as a Haesteinn game, elevated Mann, formed the North Empire, and when I reformed Asatru, I made all marriages legal. It made things extra disgusting because you can take your mother and daughters as concubines. The whole game made me feel like a real pervert.

You don't have any spare daughters for your son to remarry?

It already feels weird to marry your stepmother (or step-grandmother) on succession because she (still) has the highest stewardship available, doing the same with your actual mother... ick. Plus if your consanguinity doctrine is cousin marriage, you know that the "these characters are related" probably isn't something to be too concerned about, since that's only something like 5% chance of inbred for cousins if there's no earlier inbreeding, and I think the warning pops up whenver there are less than 30 unique ancestors in the last four generations? So they're probably not even first cousins, and if they are, oh well. And if you have close-kin taboo you don't have to care. But with unrestricted marriage you might accidentally set up brother-sister marriages if you don't check, especially since siblings are decently likely to both have a trait you want to reinforce. And it's a pain to check for everyone.

How strict is close-kin taboo, anyway? Are second cousins fine? Or does it actually require fourth cousins or more?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I've never done it myself, but it's the reputation the game has, partially due to the reputation the period/nobility has.

Though from what I hear apparently there was only one recorded first cousin marriage in Catholic Europe in the period, which got annulled by the Pope against the wishes of both participants? And third cousin marriage was scandalous? I definitely remember seeing someone complaining about Catholicism having avuncular marriage being ahistorical.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
If only it could have stayed a secret! So I wouldn't have to hear about it.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

binge crotching posted:

Creating a coven with a large house is the absolute worst. This took me multiple rulers to do:

You could always set up a heir from another cadet branch so they won't be house head when they inherit, letting you form a new cadet house with just you+immediate family, then form a witch coven for that house.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Well, maybe he has a bigger army, but that doesn't mean his heir will. Or you could get allies if you prefer that to murder for some reason. e: though I misread that as him being your liege, if he isn't that does make stabbing him more difficult.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
There's a title history for each title, but that wouldn't help with someone becoming a vassal. However I'm pretty sure you can't swear fealty while at war—more likely he was already at war with the king and surrendered. e: there's also the memories feature for each character, that might help.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

MikeC posted:

He can't. Archers are the best bet. 25 damage off the bat and he can build pallisades to get a 20% buff.

Get rid of the Uplanders unit and max out the archers and pikemen you already have. Immediately go raid your weaker neighbours (don't screw with Ghana at all yet) for gold and prestige and get another block of Archers to max out your MAA. Levies and Pikes will soak for the Archers. I would rush mustering grounds tech for +2 MAA size and +1 MAA Regiments. You can afford them since the Tribal start means that you pay prestige as upkeep rather than gold. Go with learning lifestyle and right branch of middle tree for faster cultural fascination progress, faster Dev efficiency, and more learning. Keep some money on hand and immediately hire anyone with good martial that comes along.

Why pikes? Why not just get more archers?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Keeping the secondary title around also means not having a penalty (50% I think?) to taxes and levies from de jure vassals of the title. It would probably be better to keep the title and deal with succession in other ways, but destroying it is definitely the simpler way to go.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
You could take the learning perk that lets you know when you're dying and convert when you already have one foot in the grave. But I thought you can always convert to spouse's culture?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Romancing the spouses of kings and especially emperors is also a good source of prestige. Or at least it was, the travel system might make it not worth it.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

Your dream is not dead, building up to it in the first place is the difficult part, stitching it back together over the objections of your brothers is easy.

e: oh there's more I did not see here, what exactly happened? It sounds like a Great Holy War, but as a non-organized faith presumably Asatru can't call one...

Sounds like a peasant rebellion from a few dozen Norse counties. Which would mean pretty enormous numbers, even if they're all levies. In the early 900s you might not have the MAA to tear through all of them.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Yeah for all that people say to not use levies for fighting, bringing some of them along as ablative armor is still sometimes useful. It does increase combat width though, so you might not want to do it with heavy infantry. But if you're stacking knights, elephants, or archers (low toughness), or apparently heavy cav too, bringing levies to die does help.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Dick Trauma posted:

My current King of Ireland has three daughters but then a boy finally arrives.

TWO boys. Twins. So I'm back to the problem of trying to hold my little kingdom together when my King dies. I have the archbishop school boy #2 and put him on the Learning path. Around 12 I'm able to convince him to take the vows!

And then boy #1 gets leprosy, a botched treatment and dies.

EDIT: Instead of the kingdom originally being split two ways with boy #2 getting one duchy and its counties it will now be split five ways among the eldest daughter, her sisters and their mother.

Wait, who's their mother and why does she stand to inherit too?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Complications posted:

If some little pissant Count wants to be rivals with a king, they can suffer the consequences - assassination, kidnapping, title revocation, execution, etc. You should absolutely wreck them as an example to everyone else that people two+ title ranks below don't trouble their superiors.

The count is in a different realm though, preventing revocation/execution, and making intrigue considerably harder.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

THE BAR posted:

I don't remember when I last raised levies, even as a non-Norse. They eat your supplies and do nothing but die in return.

Yeah exactly, they die instead of your real troops. If you have 5k MaA and add 5k levies to that, at the beginning of the battle half of the damage you take is being absorbed by your peasants. Of course they only have 10 toughness so the proportion of levies to MaA will drop over the course of the battle, but the beginning of a battle is the most important anyway. Especielly good for arvhers, but I'm not sure how good archers are these days. It's fairly expensive and usually unnecessary, but sometimes if you're raiding the Abbasids or something you need the extra oomph since your MaA+knights would lose on their own.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

THE BAR posted:

Is it because I almost always focus on my knights? Casualties is something that happens to the other side, I find.

E:

This image is ancient, but still.

That's very late in the game and only 40k, though. I was thinking more like 60k in High Medieval. If you can just steamroll the enemy without needing levies then they are an unnecessary expense. Though adding 5-10k levies to the pictured stack wouldn't be that expensive—but raising some leveis but not all is a bit finicky and annoying, so if you don't actually need them...

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

TjyvTompa posted:

There is straight up a "Knight efficiency" modifier that you can get from artifacts, cultural traditions and buildings.

I think they meant if there's a list of things that give that modifier. I don't know of one. The best I can suggest is searching the common folder in Notepad++ or similar.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Reveilled posted:

Signed, but make it 5-tier and make the 5th tier "game cannot be unpaused and must be manually unpaused after clearing", which was how events worked in EU2.

It's been over a decade and I stick gently caress myself regularly when an event pops up and I reflexively hit pause, which unpauses the game. Which sometimes causes a second event a split second before I realise my error and hit pause again, which means I immediately unpause the game again. I also like keeping the game on speed 5 but sometimes I want the game to stay paused after clearing an event.

Hell, same. Letting you delay events for a few months is nice and lets them keep the system the same for SP and MP, but an option to force-pause in SP would be nice.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
First, empire titles are distributed. You only have one, so the eldest gets it. Then kingdoms are distributed, with the eldest being skipped in the first round since he has one (1) empire title. (So after kingdoms are given out, everyone should have the same amount of empires+kingdoms or be missing one.) Then IIRC repeat for duchies and so on. The full algorithm should be on the wiki.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

If i revoke 2 kingdoms from my vassals (giving me 6 total), would each child get two kingdoms, and the first child the empire?

Also, is https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/ the best wiki to use?

Yes. Details here, under Realm succession. Since there will be a total of 7 empire and kingdom titles, with three heirs the eldest will get three (the empire and two kingdoms, one of which will contain the capital de jure, unless you don't hold that kingdom), and the other two will get two kingdoms each.

Make sure to keep it in your pants (or with people you can't get pregnant), though, a fourth son would mean the eldest would only get one kingdom with seven empire+kingdom titles.

Not sure what they mean by "in order" though. I guess the order they're listed on your character screen? Not sure what determines that, order of acquisition maybe? Probably not worth trying to game who gets which kingdom.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

Contrary to what Staltran said, I think the answer is actually no. Your primary heir would get the Empire title and 1 Kingdom, the next in line would get 3 kingdoms, and the third would get 2.

To have your primary get 2 Kingdom titles plus the Empire you'd need 8 kingdoms I think. The higher level title is worth two next level ones essentially.
What are you basing this on? This is what the wiki says on partition:

quote:

1. The oldest child is given the primary title along with its de facto capital and any higher title the capital belongs to de jure.
2. All empires are distributed in order. The oldest child with the fewest empire titles takes priority. If a non-primary heir received titles, they are also given any lower title that belongs to them de jure. Importantly, they receive no more titles in the following steps.
3. All kingdoms are distributed in order. The oldest child with the fewest empire plus kingdom titles takes priority. If a non-primary heir received titles, they are also given any lower title that belongs to them de jure. Importantly, they receive no more titles in the following steps.
4. All duchies are distributed in order. The oldest child with the fewest empire plus kingdom plus duchy titles takes priority. If a non-primary heir received titles, they are also given any lower title that belongs to them de jure. Importantly, they receive no more titles in the following steps.
5. All counties are distributed in order. The oldest child with the fewest county titles[2] takes priority.
6. All baronies go to whomever holds their de jure counties.
So, as far as I can tell this is what would happen, assumin all heirs are unlanded before inheriting (going to call the heirs Alexander, Bonaparte, and Caesar, in that order):
1. Alexander gets the empire and associated de jure titles, and the capital even if not de jure.
2. There are no more empires to distribute, so no one gets anything.
3. Alexander has an empire title and no kingdom titles, while Bonaparte and Caesar have no empire or kingdom titles. So Bonaparte gets his first kingdom and Caesar gets his first kingdom. On the second go everyone gets a kingdom. On the third go Alexander gets a second kingdom, which is the sixth and last one. Bonaparte and Caesar also get any titles belonging de jure to their kingdoms. They are also excluded from later steps.
4-5: since Bonaparte and Caesar are both excluded from getting any more titles, Alexander gets all remaining duchies and counties.
6: baronies go to whoever holds the county they're in. (Pretty sure Bonaparte and Caesar aren't excluded from this one, but might be wrong)

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

I created the HRE.

The current nominee is some distant member of my dynasty.

It looks like when i die all other titles go to my son and the empire goes to the nominee.

This is fine, but it looks like i then continue as the nominee, not my son.

I assume this is because the HRE is my "primary" title. Is there a way to set my capital duchy/kingdom as my main title?

Can't you just switch to your son after the succession from the menu?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

scaterry posted:

Finished an all-cultures merged run right before the dlc releases. I feel pretty good about it, not much time improvement can be made (maybe making the decision cultures earlier? idk)

Explanation here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/17qk4g2/comment/k8ch4bi/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Fajita Queen posted:

What in the goddamn

Yeah, why'd you keep Malleable Invaders for the final culture?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Grillfiend posted:

I don't think the AI should care about marrying matrilineally, that's a gameplay contrivance for the player, AI rulers should just care about passing on their lands to their children regardless of last name. It's not like the AI needs to worry about getting a game over.

So AI rulers in patrilineal realms shouldn't have a malus to agreeing to marry off their male heir matrilineally?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

alcaras posted:

Do grand weddings for everyone in your dynasty in a province that has Royal Gardens or Leisure Palaces. Enjoy 10 renown per guest.

It's 10 renown flat, not per guest, isn't it?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

alcaras posted:

Have been trying to test, yeah, it does not appear to be 10 renown per guest :( Maybe it once was? Something like 400 renown per wedding modulo special events. And lots of lifestyle XP and even a diplomacy perk with some events. Activities are really strong!

And 250 piety if you do it in a holy site (of your faith).

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

alcaras posted:

Contribution breakdown, should be able to get this to 100% with a few more artifacts:

Or with a better Grand Tour modifier.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Anyone know why some of my vassals (or vassals of vassals) have building construction completely stalled? I remember seeing this before but I don't remember how/if I fixed it. Is it going to go away on its own or do I need to edit the save?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

alcaras posted:

What’s the Defender of Faith tyranny trick?

You just stack it with other tyranny modifiers to get to -100%. There's a special building in Aachen for -20% I think, another special building in... Burma, maybe, if you're on that side of the map, the pursuit of power tenet has -50%, and then there's propaganda chronicles and other artifacts. Probably some easy sources I'm forgetting too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Magil Zeal posted:

You can "sell" (technically it's supposed to be scrapping them) artifacts of normal/green quality, but blue/purple are still a no-go without mods. So yes, hunts can give you some cash but only if the cost of the hunt itself is low enough.

Aniconism lets you destroy blues and purples too.