Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I just stumbled across this thread a couple of days ago, and now I hate you guys because I want to spend money.

I decided I'm looking into getting two devices: one for me and one for my 9 year old.

For me, I'm looking for something that can play up through PS1 (N64 and/or PSP would be a good bonus), doesn't require fiddling around in separate emulators, and is built nicely. The RG351MP seems like the best fit for me and is basically the high end of what I would want to spend for this device for myself.

For kiddo, he just needs NES, SNES, and all the Game Boys. Cheaper is better because I'm counting on him just destroying anything he gets within two years, so I don't want to put too much into it, but I don't want him complaining about slowdown as much as possible. Thinking maybe a v90, but a few more dollars may get something better for him.

What do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

flavor.flv posted:

Pretty much anything these days can play PS1, but Saturn hardware was notoriously hosed up even back in its day, so anything that plays it decently is going to do also play dreamcast, gamecube, psp and a little ps2

Jon Burton (of Traveller's Tales) shed some light on how hosed it was in a few videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-4Q8Dn6Ndo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPaNNiB2H-s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU2UoxLtIm8

I can't imagine how you go about trying to replicate all of that in software.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

I just ordered a miyoo mini for my stepson ( he likes the resemblence to the OG Game Boy), but in a bid for expediency (to try to beat his birthday), I got him the one with famicom styled buttons. Do you guys know if there are any button kits (official or etsy, whatever) to change the button colors if he wants?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

I had been trying to get a Miyoo mini for my stepson as a birthday present since early March. I had a couple different orders placed, but the ship date kept getting pushed out, but I finally got one that shows as "shipped" now, but it's just label created, just like CRAYON.

Of course, this happened right as I decided to upgrade him to a 351P, so I may have an unnecessary mini in the near future. The 351P should be delivered today.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Humongous Pear posted:

The video’s gone private. What was it?

Anbernic 503. Russ liked his first impressions of it.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

What's the current state of SNES and PSX on the Miyoo mini? I know at least some SNES was rough early on, but there have been firmware and Onion updates since.

Basically, the mini I originally ordered for my kid finally arrived, but he's happy with his 351P. I'm considering switching from my 351V down to the mini so I have something that's easier to just stick in a pocket and run around with. Then I need to sell off whichever system I don't want to keep.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Protip to anyone stumbling in the darkness on the miyoo and OnionOS: if you want, say, Yoshi's Island to run at full speed, only use the New Super Nintendo core to run it. I spent way too long fiddling with everything I could in the normal one trying to figure out why my performance went to poo poo with Onion only to figure out it was the core that was my...core issue.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

If anybody is interested in a gently used 351V, pm me

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

RichterIX posted:

How long did it take yours door to door? I ordered mine from KeepRetro on 4/28 and I'm trying to force myself into the "slowboat from Shenzhen" mentality and forget I ordered it but I want it.

I ordered mine on March 25th and received it on April 22nd

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Youtube randomly threw this Anbernic video at me. Apparently it's a new product called the win600 and it can run Windows or SteamOS. No mention of potential cost, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gYIJuIciNg

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Science_enthusiast posted:

Anyone know if the Miyoo mini comes with any Ps1 roms loaded? I have a V2 arriving tomorrow and don't want to muck around too much dl'ing stuff if I don't need to.

(Ps. If it does, what games)

I didn't test any of these, but I backed them up before doing CFW shenanigans on mine:

Bloody Roar II
Castlevania SotN
Raystorm
Resident Evil 3
Rockman X6 (My file name shows Rockman, not Mega Man, so it may technically be Japanese)
Street Fighter EX 2
Strider 2
Tekken 3
Vagrant Story

Edit: I got ripped off in my free games!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Photex posted:

the latest update from Ayn/Odin team is embarrassing and I already fired off a cancellation request.

tl;dr how do you have so many outstanding orders and not have screens on order??

They what? Luckily anything AYN related isn't affecting me, but that sounds like a huge fuckup from the outside.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

I was just trying to play Mega Man Legends on my miyoo mini and I had trouble getting a new area or even my save game to load. Anyone have any tips to try to get it to work better? Since the game itself runs fine I figure it has got to be a setting about loading from an image or something like that.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Madmarker posted:

Yo lets not oversell it, CT has amazing music, but the next 2 or 3 console gens?

The only real contenders for the crown are Chrono Cross and maybe FF9

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Alucard posted:

What?! Clearly someone hasn't played SotN

Good point. Add it to the list.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

flavor.flv posted:

Somebody please talk me out of buying a 351v, I just bought a miyoo mini

It will be more comfortable for longish sessions of demanding platformers, I can tell you that much.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Wilkins Micawber posted:

This thread is lovely, congrats on 100 pages! :toot:

I'm such a sucker for cool as heck handhelds of dubious quality. Can you please suggest?

• price - $50-90
  • small is cool, but maybe not like game boy micro size. something I can throw in my purse and just have. vertical or horizontal, as long as it's not too cramped
  • battery life real important. hold a charge for a while, run for many hours. kinda like the little Mario/Zelda anniversary handhelds
  • I don't really have a computer but I could borrow room mates' for a few min to update firmware or whatever. I know some of these come with a billion roms out of the box, but idk if that just the super cheap bitboys or if they all do. and if so, it would be cool to have all manner of systems ready to go. doubt there's any system out there that ships with a bunch of PlayStation roms though. Then again, China.
  • really only looking to play up to PlayStation. if it could do PlayStation it would be great and if less, that's ok too.
  • Goku
  • I wanna get a steamdecky later this year because I am super amped for net/wifi/?-play with someone with their own device in the same room, roms and such. keeping this in mind, I'm mainly looking for something for solo play, as opposed to something with wifi. Bluetooth would be a nice bonus tho
Ok byeee

For solo play and good pocketability, I'd have to go with Miyoo Mini. Shoulder buttons aren't great for anything action heavy, but fine for occasionally helping get through menus faster, etc.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Somehow in upgrading my OnionOS from 3.8 to 3.12, I managed to ruin the ability for SNES roms to load like normal. If I go into retroarch and manually load a rom there, it works fine. Everything else seems to be fine, just this one console. I even did a complete fresh install and it still happens. :shrug:

In better news, my turn in the steam deck queue came up, so I have that coming to me soon, which is exciting.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

drrockso20 posted:

Mine came up but I had to give it up as I was not financially ready for it, really wish there was a payment plan option for the Steam Deck

I wasn't either, but when I was whining to my friend, he offered to front me the money for it. Also got me off my rear end and started to sell off my retro games.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Explosionface posted:

Somehow in upgrading my OnionOS from 3.8 to 3.12, I managed to ruin the ability for SNES roms to load like normal. If I go into retroarch and manually load a rom there, it works fine. Everything else seems to be fine, just this one console. I even did a complete fresh install and it still happens. :shrug:

Finally got this figured out and I'm a dumbass. Always refresh your rom lists, kids!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Yeah, my limited experience tells me trying to use cutting edge accessories with any of these handhelds (other than maybe the handheld PCs) is a fool's errand. Like how you can't charge a miyoo mini from a c-to-c cable; it has to be a-to-c.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Photex posted:

like 20 people got their Odin Lites

That many?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

The Deck is life. The Deck is love.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Russ has a RP3 review up now. He's a lot nicer than taki was in the one video. Didn't notice any of the big issues taki did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05k0409SQpQ

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

If I weren't broke and happy with my combo of miyoo mini + steam deck, I would definitely be looking at the 353V. Looks like a great handheld that fixes my "big" problems with the 351V (size and shoulder buttons).

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

What's annoying me is how they had started seeing the light wrt stacked shoulder buttons, but the 353m apparently will be ditching the idea?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Russ posted a review of the 353M. Positive overall. Apparently it's smaller than the 351MP with hall-effect joysticks, wifi+bluetooth, and all the pluses we've seen from the 353s so far.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

kirbysuperstar posted:

I am extremely triggered by footage of Federation VS Zeon being labelled as Super Robot Wars

I'm glad I'm not alone

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Pablo Nergigante posted:

They also labeled Elden Ring as Spider-Man. Amateurs

In fairness on that one, it was Spider-Man and they didn't update the label for Elden Ring.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

I have a miyoo mini and a steam deck. Looking at going up from the mini to a 353m so I can still have something pocketable to play on, but more playable than the mini.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Rolo posted:

Steam Deck confirmed beeeeeiiiiigggg.

Some guy saw my steam deck after the TSA check today and started asking me questions about it. I was more than happy to spread the good word to him.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Barudak posted:

If you want gamecube, the Rog Ally IIRC offers both better performance and marginally better battery life than the steam deck

That last part is not the impression I got from what I saw. But maybe I wasn't listening close enough.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

I was just mentioning to my wife last night how much I like having my deck in both hands while in bed.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

MarcusSA posted:

Fwiw the ROG Ally is real good. It is very comfortable to hold.

It definitely appears that if you want a Steam Deck that's not a Steam Deck, it's the device you want, no question. Or maybe if you're just willing to blow that much to upgrade over the Deck.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

I updated my OnionOS on my miyoo mini for the first time in a while (4.0.3 -> 4.1.3) and I now that I have my list of Genesis titles back, I come back to an age-old question I left unasked until now. Are there any decent filters/settings that get close to modeling Genesis style dithering correctly? From my poking around, the answer seems to be somewhere between "no" and "not worth the effort"

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

^ That too

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I dont think PS2 is that hard to emulate these days? The Steam Deck does it well and thats not some 4090ti powerhouse

I think it's more that the run-of-the-mill handhelds (your Anbernics, PowKiddys, or Miyoos) can't handle it quite yet.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

kirbysuperstar posted:

my favourite weird ps2 thing is that it has an insanely high fill rate or something like that that makes it viable to do a very weird form of motion blur that even PCs at the time couldn't do, I think Red Faction 1 does it for instance

That would explain the visual styles of several games.

Wasn't there also a way for intrepid programmers to access the PS1 hardware from a PS2 game? I remember an article about the (then) upcoming GTA3 where they planned on offloading a lot of the audio onto the PS1 sound chip so they could use more of the PS2 hardware for the harder stuff.

Could have just been what they wanted to do, not what they were truly able to do.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Rinkles posted:

is running saturn games a non issue for most portables? at least the ps1 capable ones?

Saturn emulation is much more difficult than PS1, so no guarantees that just because PS1 works that Saturn is a shoe-in.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Televisio Frankus posted:

I have only the best games.

I'm, sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you to surrender any and all retro devices to the thread until you can learn to play better games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Deck for big stuff, more portable handheld (currently 353m) for the easier stuff.