Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

flavor.flv posted:

It turns out that this was not true, but everybody including actual devs believed it because why the gently caress would you design a system like that on purpose
Isn't it the exact same design as the Atari 8-bit machines? (ANTIC: playfield, GTIA: sprites.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LODGE NORTH posted:

I made a long effortpost maybe two months ago about how almost every big YouTuber who does retro videos is just, like, really bad at them.
Retro Core is both ironically and unironically the best retro YouTuber.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

stephenthinkpad posted:

Question about just using it as home Steam box to play steam games on a 1080p TV, is it roughly the power of PS4.5, something like that? I haven't touched console gaming since my kid was born.
It's probably closest to the Xbox Series S. It's definitely "current gen" in the sense that it's using DDR5 RAM and the non-base-models have an NVME SSD, so it's not going to have the same RAM/storage bottlenecks that previous generation consoles have with current games. Pixel-for-pixel (which is to say this thing targets 720p) the APUs are pretty good too.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rolo posted:

I still don’t really get how system bios files interact with emulator software.
On real hardware, the BIOS is code that's always resident in memory. In addition to performing the boot-up sequence, the BIOS contains library routines that games can make use of. From the perspective of the emulator the BIOS code is no different from game code--it's all still just emulated code--but since the BIOS exists on a physical chip inside the machine and not on a CD-ROM, it has to be supplied from somewhere. Also like the code on a CD-ROM, it's copyrighted and not lawful to distribute.

Now, some emulators can get away with not requiring the BIOS code. That's straight-forward for boot code, the emulator can set an initial machine configuration and put the boot track (or whatever) in RAM, but the emulator will still have to trap calls to BIOS functions that should be there and aren't, and emulate them accordingly. For the most part this works, but for games that are especially finicky about what the BIOS actually does--or perhaps are buggy but incidentally happens to work with the BIOS code, you may need to supply a real BIOS for compatibility. Generally though having the BIOS isn't going to make games more performant or anything.

For the PlayStation, Sony was careful about making changes to the BIOS code across hardware models due to games making assumptions about the BIOS code they really shouldn't. They did release a version of the BIOS specifically for use with their own emulators that strip out unnecessary parts of the boot sequence (good?) including the SONY part of the boot logo (controversial) which they shipped on the PSP and the PlayStation Classic. This is the version I use with Mednafen.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

teagone posted:

Everything I've read online tells me to just play Zero Mission instead haha.
You must not read my posts about Metroid then.

OG Metroid is worth playing, although with save states/rewind or a hacked version with QoL benefits. Even then, I'd only play as long as you can tolerate it and then move on. But there's nothing quite like the experience of playing Metroid for the first time and having absolutely no idea why you're there, where to go, what to do, etc. Zero Mission is a fantastic game in its own right and absolutely worth playing, but it's not the same experience.

The real sequel to Metroid is Axiom Verge.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

teagone posted:

I'm actually having a blast playing the OG version tbh. Not sure I want to seek out any QoL stuff.
Yeah it just sucks coming back with 30 health from a death and then spending the next ten minutes farming health.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Software emulation is simulating the behavior the hardware components that make a game console on a general purpose processor (a computer). Emulation inaccuracy can come from two places here: the first is that the hardware chips are often proprietary and have to be reverse engineered with the potential for misunderstanding some of their behavior, and second that the software emulators have to simplify the exact behavior of the chips in order to execute them on the host platform--with some trade-off between the accuracy of emulation and the demands on the host.

FPGAs are a way of implementing hardware that's reprogrammable/reconfigurable. While FPGA reimplementations of a console could, in theory, exactly replicate the original hardware chips at the logic gate level, they still suffer from the first issue that the exact implementation of a proprietary chip isn't known, and so has to be reimplemented based on what folks can reverse engineer of its behavior. I wouldn't really call that "emulation" though, just inaccuracy of a hardware reimplementation. It's like when someone has to reimplement some software without access to the original source code, most often the new version won't be a line-for-line match of the original.

As for the second issue, fundamentally the logic units inside a FPGA will behave ever so differently than, say, NMOS logic of 80s ASICs, but that's really only a concern when the chips are operating at extremes (temperature, clock rate, under voltage, etc.) and not something you're typically concerned with retail software in a console setting.

FPGAs, CPLDs, and similar devices have long been used to prototype hardware chips, including those back when consoles were first designed. Modern FPGAs are exploiting a few decades of progress to reimplement the entire system on a single chip, instead of prototyping just one of the chips.

There's other differences between them too: software emualtors usually run in the context of a full operating system with USB/Bluetooth input stacks and so incur input lag from all sorts of sources, while FPGAs can operate with original controllers and timings and avoid introducing additional lag themselves.

I'm not sure that wall of text actually helps any. Personally I'm totally content with reasonably accurate software emulators but FPGAs are really cool tech.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

sethsez posted:

well, it's Taki Udon,
Did I miss something about Taki?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The United States posted:

I forgot what the deal with the Polymega was, was it just stolen emulator code or something more?
Originally claimed to be an FPGA design but backpedaled to software emulation. Repeated delays. Hype video "accidentally" used stock arcade footage and not a direct capture from the device.

I don't think there was any serious claims of stolen emulator code other than they couldn't possibly do Saturn emulation otherwise.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Photex posted:

God I want an Aya Neo Air so bad, they really nailed the aesthetic and build quality according to all the reviews, waiting for a few more emu reviews and I might pull the trigger on one.
The 1080p screen doesn't make sense to me though. It's not an integer scale of retro (240p) systems or the GBA. And it's too high of a resolution for modern games unless you render at sub-native (540p) and FSR upscale.

There's a reason the Switch and the Deck both use screens in the 720-800p range at 7".

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

otter posted:

I went back yesterday and bought it.
It's firmware 3.61 so I have to do something efforty to get it hacked but didn't come with a memory card so that's en route from ebay.
Check the guides and all, but you should be able to upgrade it to firmware 3.65 for which the exploit is pretty reliable and let you install enso for persistent CFW. If you can upgrade straight from 3.61 to 3.65 without doing any "latest" shenanigans I wouldn't bother downgrading to 3.60.

I bought my Vita for $120 used (but good condition), no box, in 2019, so yes this is a steal.

Walla posted:

Also grab yourself a SD2Vita though it does mean not getting physical games.
You can get physical games, but you'll have (or at least, want) to dump them to your computer and then install them to the SD card on the SD2Vita. It's not anymore straightforward than using the PlayStation Store, but if you like collecting physical things they're not entirely useless.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Get a SN30 Pro 2 and a M30. I actually prefer the six button MD/Genesis layout for retro games.

The only issue with the M30 is that inevitably you'll have to remap buttons around since the defaults aren't quite right on any platform.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

pig labeled 3 posted:

I'm not a science man, but if you have a single cable splitting into two cables... charging two ports at once... couldn't they have accomplished the same thing by having a single cable and a single port, and having this "split" thing located internally, within the console, rather than having a dumb idiot cable that needs to be carried around to make the thing not charge like rear end?
That cable is certainly non-standard and, frankly, kind of scary. USB A-A cables should be regarded with great suspicion.

I'd assume the USB-C port is the intended charging port on this device? If it is, it should be able to charge at 15 W even without USB-PD. So either, it's not working as intended, or it is and 15 W is considered "slow". I assume the USB-A side is following the Battery Charging spec and can take 7.5 W, and the other end of the cable is intended to be used with a Quick Charger or something that can do more than 22 W. All of this is making generous assumptions about the compliance of any of these ports.

pig labeled 3 posted:

Does a female usb port create resistance or something that diminishes the charging speed at only one end of the charging cable?
USB isn't supposed to be a simple voltage bus connection. There's protocols of varying complexity that define how much power a device can draw from a port. A cable like this might get around those limitations. It would be much more sensible to include a USB-PD chip on the USB-C port though, but that might cost an additional $2 or something. So funny cable it is!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Bogart posted:

Oh a tangent, but what exactly was Sony trying to sell with the cel? I legitimately don’t get it, and I think they didn’t either.
The main idea was that the cell processor could achieve equal or better performance to desktop-class CPUs, at a much lower manufacturing cost, by spreading computational work across many "dumbed-down" processors.

It wasn't an inherently bad idea. Fundamentally that's how modern GPUs work, although graphics computation is much easier to perform in parallel. The PS3 also came out early in the "dual-core" era where parallel computation was seen as the way forward for basically everything. That they were (more or less) general purpose processors was considered advantageous because in the early HD era they weren't certain exactly how the processors would be used--they assumed "physics" but that was still a new concept in game engines.

There were two big problems with cell: First, the burden of effectively using SPEs fell on programmers, engines at that time couldn't effectively exploit them on their own. Second, any 360/PS3 cross-platform title had to be built around the specs those two machines had in common, which meant many of the SPEs just went unused. These were important lessons, which is why subsequent consoles don't really look all that different from each other under the hood, because Microsoft and Sony know that anything "special" is wasted when it comes to third parties.

All that said, the rest of the industry has caught up to what the PS3 was trying to do, kind of. These days CPUs with eight hardware threads is, more or less, a minimum configuration you'll see across modern consoles including the Steam Deck. A mark of a well programmed game is one that will effectively use all your hardware threads before getting CPU bound. So in the end the core concept wasn't terrible, it just wasn't executed well especially considering the development workflows of the time.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Presumably it's a bit easier to integrate bespoke controller options into a game then it is to fundamentally change the rendering engine.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
You don't need to sudo or make the FS read-write to use rsync on the Deck. It works out of the box. You may want to set a user password though, or put a public key in ~deck/.ssh/authorized_keys.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

uiruki posted:

Android phones at that time really struggled with the operating system, never mind stuff running on top of it, and by the time Sony were finished with their software skin the thing was ready to collapse.
Early Android phones were nearly universally a disaster and a half. The AOSP phones were basically still functional prototypes and the non-AOSP ones (namely, the Samsung Galaxy S models) consisted of a rough-cut port of Android to essentially Tizen devices. And this is to say nothing of the carrier meddling.

Around 2012/2013 is when things started to get sensible with devices that were built from the ground up to run Android and HTC/Samsung telling carriers they're no longer getting favorites.

flavor.flv posted:

Same people got them to switch from microsd to proprietary memory cards and drop the TV dock before release.
It's still hilarious to me that Vita "ROM" cartridges are basically SD cards with a DRM chip, hence why it's trivial to use an actual microSD card on hacked Vitas with a cheap adapter, but the actual user-removable storage had to be some proprietary poo poo.

I mean, Sony knew it was cheaper to manufacture SD cards than their memory sticks. That's the only sensible explanation.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

njsykora posted:

Yeah 3DS emulation is enough of a pain in the rear end
Is it? The one time I tried Citra it seemed just fine.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

It did though, Memstick Micro. Only went up to 16GB (I think? I don't remember seeing any 32GBs) but I guess the Pro Duo on the other models was only up to 32GB.
I have no idea about the Go, but by 2009 you could buy a PhotoFast CR-5400 that took two microSD cards and supported up to 16 GB (2x8 GB microSD) for way cheaper than basically any Pro Duo card.

Subsequently the PhotoFast adapter was cloned and updated to support significantly larger cards, though the build quality of the clones were/are crap and there was good chance the case would crack open upon inserting two cards. These days I have a 256 GB in a (even more) generic 1x microSD to Pro Duo adapter which works fine on regular PSP models. I don't know if folks have had success with 400 or 512 GB cards but that's way more than I needed anyways.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Froist posted:

I’m also surprised about the bugginess of the software - I expected “Linux OS from Valve” to be more polished than “Android from unknown Chinese company”, but..
The OS came in super hot on the Deck. Most of that has been ironed out, but there's still buggyness in the actual Steam client (as you've noticed). It seems to have gotten a bit worse with the recent big 3.4 update, so I imagine subsequent updates will iron those out.

The actual system side of things is pretty rock solid though.

Froist posted:

Switching to desktop mode just to do a quick bit of file management feels far slower than I expected, vs just loading a file manager app on Android
Switching to desktop mode reloads like half the OS, so yes, it's a slow operation.

You can add Dolphin (the file explorer, not the emulator) as a non-Steam game to access it directly from game mode. Alternatively, you can enable ssh, then just use a SFTP client on your phone to do all the file management you need on the Deck without leaving game mode at all.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Last Celebration posted:

I’ve been thinking about some retro gaming up to the GameCube and maybe Wii, specifically to play Fire Emblem but definitely other stuff too (feels relevant to mention because only 2/3 of the series is localized and some emulators don’t play nice with fan patches), what would be the best options for that?
GC/Wii emulation on the Deck is very, very good. To the point where it's the definitive way to play many GC/Wii games handheld and in some cases is better than original hardware.

Thing about Wii games specifically is that while many of them don't do tons of motion controls, they do often make good use of the wiimote pointer which maps very well to the Deck's trackpad.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'm not sure I understand the Lockpick thing. I always thought it was optional to dump Switch hardware keys if you wanted to read a NAND dump offline (or use it in an emulator), or if you want to make backups of your purchased titles. But you don't actually need the keys to run homebrew, and I don't think you need them to install pirated stuff? (Although the pirates would just share them around anyways like they do actual game dumps.)

Lockpick seems to be an easy but ineffective victory. What I don't understand is how they haven't nuked blawar/tinfoil/whatever as that all seems like pretty blatant bootlegging on the order of TX.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
People will spend stupid amounts of money in order to pirate the latest Nintendo franchise games. It's either principle or clicks.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The Deck also has trackpads which are actually useful for wiimote pointer emulation if you're interested in Wii stuff.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
But Android is Linux!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Saoshyant posted:

Oh, I like its design. How's the D-pad?
Fantastic. The M30 is my favorite stickles controller.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

RestingB1tchFace posted:

That funny looking thing that someone posted a picture of a week or two ago is a new Atari handheld that just debuted at CES. Lol.
Why would I want a proprietary handheld (at least, a non-Nintendo one) in 2024?

Even if you want to be totally legitimate about it, I'd imagine a Steam Deck (or Switch even) + Atari 50 would be a better experience.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

zzMisc posted:

The reason they violated the DMCA is because the DMCA has explicit provisions against circumventing copy protection measures, including encryption. Yuzu necessarily breaks encryption to run - if you've ever provided a Switch emulator with the prod.keys file it needs to run commercial games, that's what you've helped it do. The argument is that what Yuzu is doing still violates the DMCA, even if the user has to provide the keys.
It's an unfortunately messy situation and short of either (i) a clear and explicit anti-circumvention exception for emulation, or (ii) case law setting precedent for acceptable DRM circumvention in the scope of emulation, I don't think there's one obvious approach that emulators can do today.

If you go back to the days of DVDs and DeCSS, the key difference there is that DVD copy protection was optional--there were/are DVDs manufactured (particularly, "region 0" ones) with no copy-protection/DRM on them. So an unlicensed software-based DVD player alone didn't run afoul of the DMCA anti-circumvention clause since there was an obvious, legitimate use for that software to play back unprotected discs. Software that circumvented DVD copy protection by stripping the DRM and turning them into effective unprotected discs was, thus, squarely the concern of DMCA anti-circumvention. Thus the approach at the time was to separate the DVD-playback software from the DRM-stripping software and ship them as separate components.

The problem with the Switch (and all Nintendo consoles since at least the Wii) is that copy-protection/DRM is inherent to the medium. There's no licensed Switch software available that's not protected, so there's no obvious software target to design an emulator against to enable it to play "unprotected" works only. You could, in theory, replace any use of a cryptographic cipher in a Switch emulator with a null-cipher, and use it with a dumped image with any encrypted contents pre-decrypted, but Nintendo may well still argue that this revised system exists solely to circumvent its DRM and thus, falls under anti-circumvention even if technically there's no longer cryptographic operations happening within the emulator itself. Whether or not this is a better approach than "bring your own keys" is unclear.

Alternatively, since the law generally is favorable to completing implementations, this functionality may be regarded as inherent to an emulator, and since another layer of circumvention is still required to obtain the software in the first place, its use in an emulator is OK? Again, it's unclear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

zzMisc posted:

and I wonder if it could be argued that the DMCA is essentially unintentionally overreaching..
It was overreaching by design.

The folks who drafted the DMCA legislation 25 years ago knew that DRM measures would eventually be cracked, in part because they always have, and in part because crypto regulations at the time made contemporary DRM quite weak. The DMCA, thus, provided a mechanism by which to make certain software contraband even if there was legitimate (non-infringing, fair use, etc.) uses of them.

People at the time were not happy with the anti-circumvention clause. Since its passing, the ESA has consistently lobbied to not allow exceptions for video games despite multiple generations of consoles no longer being sold and their digital storefronts shutdown.