Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I want a folding screen retro shitbox, is the Powkiddy V90 going to be any better than the LDK Game I have from a few years ago?

What's the maximum amount I should spend on a V90? $35?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

flavor.flv posted:

Oh, if we're including that kind of thing, then this is my collection:

I’m gonna need links for all these, especially the skee-ball!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

rockinricky posted:

Just saw this on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1377375231296200704

Delayed until October

Lmao, the entitled replies to this are insane. Gamers are the absolute worst. You'll all get you premium Gameboy FPGA reproduction eventually, you'll just have to wait a little bit longer!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

falz posted:

I'd guess they're content with whomever does the manufacturing currently, and picking someone else to spit out a high volume is a huge unknown. If the qualify went down they'd have pissed off everyone.

Just a guess.

I think I read somewhere that the screen was pretty constrained in terms of availability, and that drove the initial limit on orders and some of the lead time.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone know if any of these newer emulator handhelds support Bluetooth audio? I’m so tired of wires, I just want to use my AirPods with everything. I understand there can be a little lag with Bluetooth, but it doesn’t bother me for most games.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

zzMisc posted:

I've been following the RG Handhelds discord rg351v channel and this actually came up last night. The guy who develops the Retro Arena custom os, slaminger, said he's got BT itself working and pairing, but hasn't sorted out how to actually redirect audio as yet. It's on the todo list, but of course no guarantees until it happens. If it gets resolved, I would think it may get backported to other Anbernic devices. As of yet though, no, it's not working on those.

Good to know! If that happens with the RG351v I might just pick one up. I've already been thinking about it. I currently have an LDK game, and was considering trying a Powkiddy V90 for a slightly more comfortable form factor, but from what I can tell the LDK and Powkiddy are basically the same device but in different shells. It'd be kind of a lateral upgrade. The RG351v might be more comfortable AND possibly support bluetooth, while also being more powerful. So that might be the way to go...

Edit: Have folks been getting their RG351v's straight from Anbernic's website, or is there a more US friendly source? https://www.anbernic.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=70

frogbs fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 13, 2021

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

zzMisc posted:

Worth noting that the rg351v does still have a 3.5mm jack, and if bluetooth does get going it's still unlikely to support low-latency codecs. Just mentioning it because I've ordered a aptx-LL 3.5mm transmitter and headset and plan on using those, regardless of whether BT is ever supported natively. I find audio lag very frustrating while gaming.

I ordered mine straight from Anbernic and it only took a little under a week shipping, but I also sprung for Fedex delivery.

Thanks! I ended up ordering one from their ebay store since it was the same price and it felt less sketchy.

Good call on an external aptx adapter, i'm going to try that.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Just got my RG351V and it's way nicer than I was anticipating! Great screen!

Is there any good reason to switch to another firmware or anything yet, or is what ships with it fine if I just want to play SNES/Genesis games casually?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone know if there’s a way to disable the rumble on boot up on the stock rg351v firmware?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

zzMisc posted:

There's no way to disable the rumble on boot entirely even using a custom OS. It's one of the main things the devs in the v channel on Discord were grumbling about; that and the weird USB hardware for the controller that doesn't always want to come back after sleep. I believe both TheRA and ArkOS have some fix in place that reduces the time it spends rumbling to just a couple seconds, though. I assume 351Elec as well.

Aw dang, that’s a shame. It’s annoying enough that it make me want to look for a different handheld. Do the RG351P or Retroid Pocket 2 rumble on boot too?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Are there any vertically oriented handhelds that have genesis style ABC-XYZ buttons? The closest i've seen is the Powdkidy A19, but reviews are mixed: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb201603_

frogbs fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 3, 2021

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I've really been liking my RG351V, but have a save state question, which I think is more a RetroArch thing. Does anyone know how the 'Auto (-1)' save state works? Does it actually make new save states sequentially? It's hard to tell what it's actually doing and I haven't found any documentation on it.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Rolo posted:

351V quick facts:

-351Elec is very easy to flash and worth it just to have everything pre-tweaked out of the box.

-With the V you can connect to your wifi and SSH themes directly into the OS! It’s also easy!

-Check my post history for an awesome theme customized for the V screen some redditor made. Easy!

CFox posted:

Seconding 351Elec, everything just works without any tweaking required.

Nice, I think i'm going to give 351elec a try. Will it automatically pickup the 2nd sd card that came with the 351v that has all the games on it, or will I have to tweak things? Also, is 32gb enough for the 351elec image if i'm going to keep games on a 2nd card? From what i've read it should be but thought i'd double check.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Am I extremely dumb, or on the stock RG351V firmware and 351 Elec is there no way to immediately exit the game you're in and go back to the frontend? The only way i've found to do it is to hold down the thumbstick and press the F/function button, then go to 'Close Content, then go to 'Quit Retroarch'. Is that the fastest way?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

CFox posted:

Hold select, tap start twice. That exits the game and retro arch and also makes a savestate at the same time.

Oh nice, this is so much easier!

Also, so far 351elec is pretty nice! Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Updog Scully posted:

Playdate is getting a price bump to $180 but double the games.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/4/22466184/panic-playdate-handheld-price-double-season-one-games-update-preorder

For that price, I doubt I will pick one up, but I think a lot of people are missing the point. The playdate is meant to be kind of an 'arthouse' console with notable/famous devs putting bespoke projects on there. It's more of a curated art collection than a retro emulator-style console. I will possibly pick one up if the price drops below ~$150.

I think I’m out at that price, too, but I totally get the appeal of the device. I do love reading some people’s reaction to it though, I’ve seen several “why would I buy this when I can get a $80 emulator handheld with a color screen from Amazon”?.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Someone just (very nicely!) gifted me the new-ish Nintendo Game & Watch. It seems like hacks/mods for it are still very early days, but my dream would just be in someone could add SMB3 instead of the ball game. From what i've read it seems like it'll always require a fairly in-depth process to change anything on it, but one can dream. The form factor is great, and I love the screen.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

roobots posted:

The point of the Playdate is really more of a cool indie developer art piece. It’s an experience. Looking at it with the normal expectations of a handheld is going to lead to disappointment. If I had extra cash lying around I’d snag one as a way to support the artists and Teenage Engineering. It’s good to encourage more experimental stuff like this, but this is 100% not attempting to be a mass appeal portable.

This, exactly. This is something I think the folks at Panic are making/aiming at people who are just like them. They don't care if it has mass market appeal.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Swilo posted:

Go on...

Plus with every unit being a development kit there is almost guaranteed to be a broad range of uses like emulation anyway, so anybody who appreciates it for what it actually is gets bonus content.

This guy says he’s going to release a GB emulator once the Playdate comes out: https://mobile.twitter.com/dmierau/status/1280953878091952128

He’s also working on a Mario Paint clone: https://twitter.com/dmierau/status/1415721694438694914?s=21

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

stephenthinkpad posted:

Question about the 351 series. How easy is it to setup cross save and "retro achievement" if I want to play on both the 351 handheld and a nvidia shield box?

Does the 351 has any obvious shortcoming that need to be addressed by the next revision, or is this like the "Gameboy Advanced SP with a new screen" of the 3rd party handheld which is perfect by my definition?

I swear there was some magician in this thread who had saves sycning between things via dropbox, but I can't remember who it was. I'd love to setup something similar between my 351v and my retropi setup, but I feel like it'd be harder than I'm imagining.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I guess this is the most appropriate thread for Playdate stuff?

I managed to get on the 2021 batch.

It looks like they sold the first 20,000 in about 20 minutes, pretty impressive! Apparently there was an issue with international orders, i've never seen so much whining on Twitter about a toy. I guess Panic were using a Shopify app/plugin for calculating international shipping. Shopify apps don't depend on Shopify's infrastructure, so they're usually hosted on some crappy VPS and fail under any amount of load, which is apparently exactly what happened for most customers outside the US. A bummer for them, but they can still order one right now, it'll just arrive a little later!

frogbs fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 29, 2021

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Rolo posted:

Oh dog gone it I missed 2021. I knew I should have set a reminder.

Are these gonna go on regular sale at some point down the line? I hate the idea of pre-purchasing something 6+ months in advance.

I think their stance is "you'll always be able to order one, it might not ship right away until we catch up with the initial rush". The impression I get is that I don't think these are going to be scarce, long term. They didn't want to artificially cut off orders completely at X number.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

The United States posted:

Apple M1 crushes everything up through GC/Wii, which makes it the most powerful ARM chip (as expected), but no one has working ports of PS2/PS3/360/WiiU emulators so ETA can't test just how good it really is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AMFwyrP5qM

Everytime I pick up my entry level $350 iPad I get a little sad because i'm prettysure if it was easier for anyone to develop stuff for it/sideload things we'd have an awesome version of OpenEmu that could run everything up to PS1 flawlessly and be portable as hell with good battery life. iPad's are just ridiculously overpowered for the software they're running and it's a shame!

Edit: Oh lol, this is already sort of a thing, you just need an Apple Developer account: https://wiki.provenance-emu.com/installation-and-usage/installing-provenance

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

drrockso20 posted:

It's definitely neat, though the fact that you can achieve similar results for a lot cheaper with a Pi 400 does somewhat deflate the impact it could otherwise have

I fully realize what thread i'm posting this in, but: https://hard-drive.net/spend-80-snes-classic-can-install-emulators-raspberry-pi-never-shut-gently caress/

I've definitely realized that with every emulator box i've built i've spent more time setting it up than actually playing games on it :shobon:

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

kirbysuperstar posted:

Cloud sync for saves and not having to shut it down and take the SD card out to change files is a godsend. RetroAchievements is cool too.

Wait, is cloud sync for saves a thing yet, or is that still coming in 351elec?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I can’t remember if this was the thread where I read about it, but I’m pretty impressed with the 60fps port of Super Mario 64 on the RG351V. Look it up it you have one!

Are there other native ports like this out there, other than the Anberports stuff?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Is there a Playdate thread?

I got mine yesterday, the hardware is super cool, but the first two games are pretty dang underwhelming. Really hoping next weeks batch has something that’s more my speed.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

frogbs posted:

Is there a Playdate thread?

I got mine yesterday, the hardware is super cool, but the first two games are pretty dang underwhelming. Really hoping next weeks batch has something that’s more my speed.

Ok, so Playdate week two's games are not much more to my liking. I bounced off 'Crankin's Time Travel Adventure' pretty fast. I just didn't find anything about it fun :-( No idea how you're supposed to get past the pig on level 6. The other game this week is a Fruity Loops clone? But doesn't use the crank?. So far i'm surprised by what games they've decided to ship first. Hoping there's things that are more my speed in the coming weeks...

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Swilo posted:

...and that's after they slowed the pigs down because everybody was worried about how fast they had to crank!
https://twitter.com/playdate/status/1521595085871214592

Yeah I saw that...I'm on level 6, are you supposed to crank so fast you get to the end of the level before the pig? I have no idea how that's physically possible.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Pockyless posted:

I did not like this level. Go back into your house and wait for the pigs to pass

Are you loving kidding me? I went back in but saw there was just endless pigs outside and gave up.

Gotta say, these games are cute, and whimsical, but not very fun so far!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So i've got an RG351V with 351elec that I like well enough. How much better is the experience with the Miyoo Mini Plus with Onion OS? Most of my frustration with 351elec is around accessing save states and such, I always feel like i'm menu diving and it sucks. Maybe i'm just using it wrong?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Wee Bairns posted:

Even if it only has the specs of the original, I'm going to be all over that.

Same, been waiting for a nicer foldable than the V90!

njsykora posted:

If they keep that colour scheme I will buy the probably accidental trans pride handheld.

I read that the colors are just from an engineering rendering, the final colors will be different.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

beer gas canister posted:

Portmaster supports ZeroRanger holy poo poo

What handheld is that? Also, I need to check out Portmaster apparently, lots of good games on this list: https://github.com/christianhaitian/PortMaster

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Matt Zerella posted:

Apparently the CpU sucks if you want to run Saturn and it just looks like more ewaste.

But six buttan and circle d-pad

hatty posted:

BakuBaku Animal is still Saturn exclusive though

Try the Game Gear version!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

loopsheloop posted:

Anbernic comin

I love this little fucker :eyepop:

Well dang, these go on pre-order on 11/9. $69.99 for the linux version and $89.99 for the Android version: https://retrododo.com/anbernic-rg-arc-release-date-and-pricing/

My dream handheld would be shaped like this and be able to emulate Guardian Heroes on Saturn, but my hunch is that isn't possible. Has anyone with an RK3566 handheld had success emulating Guardian Heroes or am I asking too much?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Explosionface posted:

I just tried it on my 353m and it seemed like it was working fine (ArkOS). It also plays Panzer Dragoon Saga pretty great. I doubt it's the case with every Saturn game, but there's at least some success on it.

Nice, thank you for testing! It looks like that model has the same processor but 2gb of ram. The Linux only SG Arc only has 1gb, I wonder how much that comes into play with Saturn emulation? My hunch is that it's more processor bound than ram bound? I suppose I could always get the dual boot version with more ram just to be on the safe side.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Matt Zerella posted:

Based on RGCs review, if Saturn is a big deal for you then Linux is the better option.

Interesting that in one of the reviews they said the ram increase on the dual boot option doesn't matter for Saturn emulation. If you buy the Dual boot version does anyone know how easy it is to boot into Linux? Can you do that out of the box or do you have to install the stock Linux OS yourself?

Assepoester posted:

Guardian Heroes is playable but a bit slow on the RG353P, so it should be the same here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGh6zcwHkIo&t=654s

Nice, that doesn't look too bad in terms of performance!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Alan_Shore posted:

My Anbernic Arc is on its way! Very excited about this one!

Same, can’t wait for mine to arrive!

Oh, I do like that blue, but have no absolutely no need for one.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
My Anbernic RG Arc-D arrived and i'm actually OK so far with Saturn emulation. Guardian Heroes and even Panzer Dragoon Zwei run perfectly fine so far. I've been wanting a device like this for years, so glad they made one.

Oddly, Genesis games seem to run at about 50% brightness which I haven't been able to figure out. Everything else seems fine. I tried turning overlays off in Retroarch but that didn't seem to fix it. I haven't been able to find a brightness setting anywhere either. Has anyone else run into this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

STONE COLD 64 posted:

how is Legend of Oasis?

I've never played it before, so I can't really compare, but in the opening area at least it seems like it's full-speed/60fps.

Edit: BUT, I just got to some areas in Guardian Heroes that seem to cause the system to hang. Dang! Not sure what is is about specific levels, but the emulator doesn't seem to like it. It was all fine up until that point!

frogbs fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 3, 2023