Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I got my RG351P this weekend, though it's my first "decent" one of these handhelds so I don't have much to compare against (I have a PowKiddy V90 but that was cheap enough to think of as a toy). The build quality is really great, if it didn't have the Anbernic logo below the screen you could easily believe it to be a first-party Nintendo device.

GBA games look predictably amazing, with the screen resolution/aspect ratio being perfect for it. Genesis and SNES era consoles look good with the RGA scaling, but there's the slight lack of perfect sharpness you'd get with integer scaling. PSX runs well for the games I've played, N64 and Dreamcast are really hit and miss in some unexpected ways. E.g. Pilotwings 64, all the menus are stuttery but the gameplay is fine.

It seems like a hive of activity right now with multiple custom OS images in development, a bit hard to keep track of. Spending more time setting the thing up than playing with it right now. Overall I'm really happy with it, would just like to get past the OCD curation stage and onto playing games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

rg351 seems cool, except that mine came with a busted power button, so the only way to turn it on is unscrewing the back cover.

The Aliexpress vendor wants me to pay for return shipping, so I’d probably pay the extra $10 to buy on Amazon next time.

Are you “nnt” on Discord, or the second person I’ve seen today with a bust power button?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

One thing: Amazon didn't have the version with the included wifi dongle. I didn't want to wait two months (and pay customs) for the AliExpress version. What are the benefits to having wifi on this, and is there a list of compatible cards somewhere?

You're not missing out on much honestly:
  • With ArkOS you can do online updates to the OS
  • Wirelessly copy ROMs/themes, rather than taking the card out (I still just move the card)
  • RetroAchievements (apparently, I've not tried this)
  • Emulator updates (never needed this)
  • Cheat database updates (I think? also never tried this)
  • If you're really nerdy, SSH into it and edit config files straight on the device (ok guilty)

Mine similarly came without one, but I already had a USB-C adapter for my laptop so I grabbed a wifi dongle from Amazon for the sake of £5. Previously I'd been thinking about modding the wifi internally but it's really not worth the effort to me. This is the one I bought, or there's a list of compatible devices here - mine isn't on it but I'd seen enough people mention that it's supported.

Also the reason it doesn't have internal wifi (beyond the first batch) is that the speaker wiring isn't insulated, so the speaker crackles quietly whenever the wifi is busy. It's nowhere near as grating as I'd imagined but is noticeable, so being able to unplug the dongle when I don't need it is ideal really.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

bowmore posted:

Got Half Life and 60FPS Super Mario 64 port on my 351p, very nice

Mario 64 is awesome on this thing. I installed Half Life for the novelty too but haven't actually played it beyond the intro sequence. It feels like new ports are coming out every day, it's hard to keep track of everything you can run on this now..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Meridian posted:

Appreciate the input. I think I will primarily be playing SNES/GBA games, but there are a lot of PSX titles I want to go back and play, so the PSX performance is probably the deciding factor.

I’m surprised by the number of RP2 owners who’ve replied to you - not that I have any experience of it but I had the impression it was more niche than the Anbernic devices.

I only have a 351P so that’s all I can comment on, but:
  • GBA is perfect with exact 2x scaling.
  • SNES runs fine. The screen res means you can’t get perfect scaling, but the RGA scaling looks ok. This part is also true for most other pre-PSX era consoles.
  • PSX runs everything I’ve tried (MGS, Crash, Gran Turismo, Ridge Racer series) fine and scaling is less of an issue with 3D graphics.
  • Saturn is a flat-out “no” :(
  • N64 is hit and miss - sometimes one emulator is better than others for a given game, but there’s no magic bullet. There is a native version of Mario64 though that’s incredible.
  • Dreamcast is similarly hit and miss depending on the game, but on the whole better than N64.

I don’t have experience with the 350M, but have heard that the PSX experience isn’t as clear-cut as it is on the 351. On the other hand the aspect ratio is better suited for SNES. But at this point it seems dated and all the dev effort seems to be going into the 351 series.

If you’re between the RG350M and RG351P with GBA and PSX in your priorities, I’d definitely go for the 351. There’s the brand new RG351M too, but the only changes are a metal (so heavier) case and built-in WiFi that apparently works this time.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Walla posted:

So this may be a stupid question, but is there a reason to get one of these if you already have a soft-modded 3DS and/or PSP? I mean, is there something special these devices can do that the others can't?

For me one of the differences is that these boot straight into a frontend designed for emulation, whereas the RetroArch UX on the 3DS (can't speak for PSP) is poor to say the least. Depends how much that matters to you.

Also varies handheld to handheld but the screen resolution is generally higher and/or a better aspect ratio for scaling. On the flip side, a 3DS will be far better at playing DS/3DS games natively in addition to the emulated games if that's something you're after. Similar for PSP - less so on the obvious touchscreen/two displays difference, but it's the upper limit of what these are capable of emulating these days. On my RG351P some PSP games play fine and others are far too laggy.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

The_White_Crane posted:

Separate question, how's the DS emulation? I realise it's always gonna suffer from only having one screen, but what's performance like? I'm mostly interested in the Pokemon games, does anyone have any experience of those?

You can flip between screens with the shoulder buttons, or have both side-by-side (severely shrunk). The right stick moves a virtual stylus around to use the touchscreen - it's passable for minimal input but definitely wouldn't want to use it for touch-heavy games. Luckily Pokemon is completely playable (at least at the start, I haven't got far) without using the touchscreen, you just have to toggle which screen is displayed when you open the menu. Performance is ok - not quite the same as a native DS but playable, especially for an RPG.

flavor.flv posted:

Give the powkiddy v90 a look. Not quite as powerful as the 351 or even the 350, but the form factor is, well, a big factor

It's also (surprisingly) a lot quicker to just pick up and get into a game. I have the RG351P (running 351elec) and the V90 and just did a side-by-side comparison.
  • Cold boot to menu: 7s vs 21s
  • Load Earthbound (SNES): 3s vs 16s
So minus menu navigation (i.e. the human factor) it's 10s vs nearly 40s to get into a game.

The 351P feels a world more premium compared to the V90's cheap plastic, the UI is far nicer, has far more options/features, and it can emulate a lot more systems. But the V90 has the right screen resolution for home consoles (as in Weedle's post above) - I've found myself starting to play some games on that in preference to the "better" 351P. SNES is pushing the top end of what it can handle though - there are definitely some games (e.g. Yoshi's Island) that are unplayable on it.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Weedle posted:

worth noting that there are two cfw variants for the 351: the aforementioned 351elec as well as arkos. i run arkos on mine and haven’t used 351elec, but i did read that the long game launch times are a problem with 351elec specifically, and the devs are actively working on improving it. it definitely takes a lot less than 16 seconds to launch a snes game on arkos though

Oh yeah, I've used both of them, previously arkOS as my main and then switched over to 351elec for a variety of preference reasons. Maybe I should set up a recent arkOS image again to compare..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

RG351v impressions

https://youtu.be/ZzpjIdpZPRA

I’m in love with this screen. It looks fantastic.

Is there any hint of how far off the next processor generation is, rather than mostly being based on the 3326?

I've got a 351p but I'm getting more and more tempted to pick up a 350m for home console games (fell down the rabbit hole of reading the pixel scaling discussion in the retro thread yesterday). While this screen looks great I'm not really a fan of the vertical layout - something more like the 350m but with a bit more power would be ideal.

There are a few eBay listings for (new) 350m's for £53 ($74), which seems a bit of a bargain but is only in rose gold..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

japtor posted:

Ignoring your Nosferatu-esque claws, I've been tempted by the stubby ones for this, particularly this one:

I’m sure you’ve done your own research if you’re interested in this, but last I saw the previews weren’t that positive on the software side because half of it isn’t translated from Chinese. Shame, the hardware looks a neat form factor..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

CFox posted:

Is there an issue with the load times on 351Elec? I saw a few complaints about that online but didn’t know how big a deal it was.

I can’t say for the 351v as I don’t have one, but there definitely is a delay on the 351p. It’s a trade-off with having all the settings exposed in EmulationStation rather than having to set them in RetroArch - loading and passing all those settings over to RetroArch when a game loads is the problem.

At the time I compared it, loading Earthbound (SNES) took 5 seconds on arkOS and 17 seconds on 351elec.

I started off running arkOS, switched to 351elec and really liked it overall, but gradually over time the loading delays bugged me enough that I went back to arkOS. Plus at that time (about 6 weeks ago) arkOS got retrorun for a Dreamcast perf boost, I’m not sure if 351elec ever inherited that..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

CFox posted:

Thanks. That makes sense but it’s a shame because 15+ seconds to load an SNES game isn’t something want to deal with either. Does ArkOS have good default settings for the games/cores in retro arch or am I going to need to spend some time researching and tweaking at first? Not a big deal either way but my 351v should arrive next week and it’d be nice to be prepared, get it all setup, and get down to playing some games.

I guess it depends on your definition of "good" and how picky you are. 351elec's are definitely ideal defaults on the 351p, from memory there are things on arkOS like stretching NES to fill the screen horizontally rather than maintain aspect ratio. It's not much of a stretch, and once it's set up per-system it sticks forever, but it's an extra chore to set up. Also there's a good chance these defaults would all be different on the build for the 351v anyway as it has a different aspect ratio - it might be that arkOS's defaults are closer to ideal there anyway.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Weedle posted:

why didn't they just make the 351p/m 480p... :negative:

I've bought a 350m since getting my 351p, solely because of the screen (and pushed over the edge by your comparison posts earlier in the thread).

The 351v doesn't appeal at all because of the form factor, but I'd love a 350m with rk3326 guts. Having the two of them covers all bases but syncing saves between them is a PITA.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Walla posted:

Also, it's a Dreamcast/Wii game, but Crazy Taxi works much better with twin sticks as well. That's how I have it running on my Vita and it's a sheer joy to play.

I'm interested, what's the control setup you've got here then? (i.e. what have you mapped to the right stick, presuming left is the default for steering)

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

flavor.flv posted:

So there's this hack of rhythm heaven ds that replaces the touch controls with buttons, has anybody tried it on any of these devices?

https://skelux.net/showthread.php?tid=963

I tried it but as far as I can tell (on the rg351p) it's still unplayable; the title screen needs a flick to bypass and it just doesn't seem possible with Drastic's stick controls for the virtual stylus.

Walla posted:

I just mapped Drive/Reverse to Up/Down. Makes dashing and power braking much easier than trying to use X/O.

Ah yeah, I missed the "Vita" part of your original post. Just tried this out and it does feel a lot more natural, but running in RetroArch (to get configurable controls) is far lower performance than RetroRun on arkOS. Shame.

Froist fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 17, 2021

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Boxman posted:

I'm thinking of taking this plunge and considering the 351 series, mostly because I'm looking for a well supported, relatively easy experience, and it looks like 351Elec has me covered for that. I don't know for sure I want that right analog stick but it feels like ti would be a bummer to want to play some Playstation 1 game where it's needed, so the v is out. All that logic seem right?

There are very few PSX games that need the right stick (Ape Escape might be it?), so the bigger factor is what systems you'd primarily play and how much you prefer crisp pixels vs scaling. The P has the perfect ratio for GBA, but the V is better for NES/SNES/Genesis/etc. The other factor is that I like using the right stick for N64 C buttons - without that, the V simply doesn't have enough buttons to cover the N64 controller. But then N64 games are very hit and miss on the 351 devices anyway.

Boxman posted:

Past that, I guess I have to settle on the 351m vs p? It sounds like the build quality on the plastic version is well within the range of fine, so my question is - do people find the wifi connectivity of the 351m particularly useful? Even factoring in a USB adapter so I can use a wifi dongle for intermittent updates, it looks like a ~$30 price difference. Not nothing.

I have the 350M and 351P so while not the same device, I can compare the build quality. The M definitely feels more premium and there's something "nicer" about pressing the buttons and hitting the metal case - I guess maybe like mechanical keyboard people like having a metal backplate? But also that added weight makes it feel less pocketable.

The only thing I feel missing about not having always-on wifi is that I can't really use RetroAchievements. I only plug in the dongle when I need to transfer games/scrape media. The V is a middle-ground here price wise and has wifi.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I'm tempted to swap back to 351Elec from arkOS; I updated my test SD card to the latest beta last night and the ROM load times seem to be on a par with arkOS now, where previously they were about 10 seconds slower. And there are quite a few UI improvements over arkOS, like quick jumping to a manufacturer (e.g Nintendo) when on the systems list, and manuals support.

There are just a few ports I really appreciate on arkOS that (AFAIK) aren't yet available on 351Elec: Sonic 1/2/CD, Shovel Knight, Spelunky.. :(

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

You can get (at least I know for sure) S1/2/CD working fine on 351Elec, though it requires yanking the binaries from ark (easy), copying a library over that Elec doesn't have (also easy), and changing the .sh to have Elec friendly paths. You also might need to use a script to uh..actually have an exit hotkey. I might actually work on that tomorrow and get them nice and packaged. I should look at SK and Spelunky also while I'm at it.

Oh nice, thanks for the tip! I already tried moving the binaries from my arkOS card and patching the paths, but when I hit the library error I figured there might be a chain of other missing dependencies and gave up. I'll give that another try.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

zzMisc posted:

Maybe it's just me because I know how to, like, sync things.

Ok, I’ll bite. How do you sync your saves around?

I’ve tried writing my own rsync scripts to sync saves from my RG350M and RG351P to my laptop, using that as the central point. But given the emulator differences I have to rename the files from “.srm” to “.sav” in some cases, and one of the target filesystems/rsync versions doesn’t support the times argument so everything ends up synced backwards and forwards stomping all over the “real” modified times. And even this way I have to sync one of my devices to my laptop and then the other in sequence. Throwing in a “TV” device would complicate it even further.

I’m sure it’s possible, but it’s definitely a lot easier and more seamless to just have a single device with a HDMI port and plug it in when you want to play on a bigger screen. Just no device has (yet) hit all the feature sweet spots for that :(

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Does anyone have any first-hand experience of both the RG351P/M and the RGB10 Max?

At the moment I've got an RG351P and an RG350M (and a cheap V90 for camping trips etc, but let's leave that out of this). I like the frontend/system compatibility of the 351 but often end up playing home console games (SNES etc) on the 350M for the better pixel scaling, and then syncing save games between both those and my laptop in a convoluted triangle. I thought having the HDMI out on the 350M would be better than the buggy reality has turned out, so I've ended up never using that feature.

Now I keep ogling the RGB10 Max, where the screen should be flexible to handle all systems with good scaling on one device, albeit with black bars in a lot of cases. I know the sensible thing to do would be to wait for the RG552 which sounds like it'll have a similar screen and better internals, but, well... (I'm not really interested in waiting for the SteamDeck given the size/cost.)

I've done enough research to know the benefits/flaws of the device, so I'm looking more for the experience of normal users (rather than Youtubers) who've owned multiple. Does the RGB10 Max end up replacing the 351P in day-to-day use? Or are there situations where the 351 is still preferable, and I'd just end up with yet another device to handle savestate syncing?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

flavor.flv posted:

Mario Golf runs at 5 fps

Weedle posted:

mario golf advance tour is kinda rough on the 351 too. i had to turn the music off because it sounds like a dying pc speaker whenever it has to render the ball flight

Are you using arkOS or 351elec? I just did some comparisons as I'd seen Mario Golf discussed on the discords recently and it runs/sounds far better on 351elec than it does on arkOS. It's still not flawless compared to my real copy (with a dead battery) + GBA SP, but elec is notably better than arkOS.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

It's the October 24th, 2020 build. There are two OPKs on the github. One is called PocketSNES.opk and the other is PocketSNES_new.opk. Of course the github makes 0 mention of the difference between the two, but after trying both, the one that does not say "new" is faster.

It's mentioned on the next release down the page; the "_new" build is for the ODroid Beta firmware (which includes this new Adam build). I don't know enough of the details to know why, but the beta firmware often needs a different opk file for many apps.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Thanks. So ODroid firmware includes Adam? Or is it the opposite? Is ODroid Android or something?

Sorry, I mistyped my “OD” abbreviations and made things more confusing. I meant to say “OpenDingux”, not ODroid. It’s not based on Android, just some custom Linux OS.

The OpenDingux “beta” firmware is the same base OS as the official firmware, just with newer kernel drivers that give slightly improved performance - the official firmware hasn’t been updated in years whereas there’s active development on ODBeta. I wouldn’t really call it beta stability wise, but it does lose some features (hot plug HDMI) and gain others (sleep mode).

Adam is a new preconfigured image to flash for many of the OpenDingux devices, wrapping up ODBeta, SimpleMenu and RetroArch to make things far more flash-and-play than installing everything yourself manually. But fundamentally it’s the same software.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Holy poo poo, there's finally sleep mode? Why doesn't Rogue have that feature?

What's the exact firmware I need to get for my 350 to get sleep mode working? I don't care about losing HDMI output.

The easiest way is installing the latest version of the Adam image (RetroGameCorps guide), or if you want to install everything manually rather than the prebuilt image you can use the latest OpenDingux Beta build from here. In either case you'll end up with basically the same build, Adam just bundles in SimpleMenu, RetroArch and the latest emulators to save you the manual setup. v1.1 of Adam is using the beta build from the 25th August (so pretty much the bleeding edge), whereas there are inevitably a few revisions since then on the true nightly beta releases.

Then it's Power + Y (hold power, tap Y, not the other way around) to enter sleep mode, and power to wake up again.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Weedle posted:

huh i guess they really are just straight-up reusing the entire rg350m shell for the 351mp, thus by "has wifi" they mean "includes an external adapter in the box." bummer

The 351MP doesn't have the HDMI port on the top (and the headphone jack is centered), so it's not entirely reusing the same parts. They released a hands-on video of it today that hasn't been posted in this thread.

It's a shame that it doesn't have built-in wifi, making it yet another model with some flaw. But also I'm glad I have a reason not to side-grade to it given I already have a 350M and 351P.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I agree on your last sentence completely, it does feel like the best/most premium of the RK3326 devices. I think the trouble is most people passing judgement on it have already got a similar device (myself included, doubly so) and it’s not worth the cost to sidegrade. If I was entering the market now it’s absolutely the model I’d go for.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Also there’s always something new around the corner but Powkiddy have just started teasing an “RGB10 Max 2”. No release date or specs but it seems to have a more ergonomic design with slight controller-grip-style shaping and stacked shoulder buttons. The discords suspect it’ll still have the same internals but might knock the price of the previous model down too..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Rolo posted:

I still don’t get why you’d buy a widescreen RK3326.

To me the draw always seemed to be that it accommodates cleanly scaling the various aspect ratios better. With 480 vertical but increased width compared to 4:3 devices, you can do integer scaling on the home consoles and GBA/PSP. Though because of this every platform will have some wasted border space.

I haven’t actually got any of these though, so it’s just my thoughts. I was close to buying an RGB10 Max and then the 2 was announced, and now that’s starting to ship the RP2+ has come out of nowhere and looks decent for the price.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I’m kinda tempted to try to sell my 350M while it still has some value and pick up a RP2+ instead.

I have a 351P as my “main” device so the M ends up filling the “sharper pixels but less powerful” niche, so I end up rarely using it. The RP2+ has the same sharpness but looks like it would actually cover more systems and at a decent price point. The other upcoming devices seem to be jumping up the price to the point where I can’t really justify them as a hobby.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

zenintrude posted:

Anyone here have any success with PSO specifically - and Dreamcast in general - on the 351? Or should I instead be looking at the 552 to handle something like that.

I played it a while back on my 351p - it definitely worked back then. But it was more a case of playing it for 10 minutes to trigger the nostalgia (PSO was the first game I played online), then moving onto something else. So I can’t really comment in any depth on the community server side of things.

I’ve since wiped my 351p to switch from arkOS to 351elec, so lost the community server setup. Maybe I’ll jump through the hoops again..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Is it definitely not creating the games partition, or the partition’s just not showing up when you put the card in a computer? On Windows sometimes the partition’s there but it doesn’t map it to a drive letter, so doesn’t show up in Explorer. If that’s the case you can assign a letter to the drive through Disk Management.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

beer gas canister posted:

Appreciate the thorough recommendations all! I'll probably go for the 351p for the ergonomics and the 3:2 screen. The 351v is pretty cool, and the shoulder button solution is drat clever, but the 351p seems like it's probably more comfortable in the hands. Does the wifi enabled version make updating significantly easier or something? I can't seem myself using it for streaming or browsing.

The ergonomics of the 351p are great and GBA looks perfect on it, just be aware that you won’t be able to get sharp pixels on any home consoles (SNES, Genesis, etc). Still perfectly playable, just depends on your personal level of OCD.

A 4:3 screen like in the 350m, 351v or 351mp is a better all-rounder (and actually the older 350m has better scaling methods to fit GBA to that screen than either of the newer ones), but the 351p is definitely more pocketable.

As mentioned the Wifi is basically for scraping and retro achievements - there’s no browser available on these devices. You can also use it for copying files to/from the device but it’s better for small things (save files, configs, etc) rather than large ROMs. I’ve found plugging a dongle in whenever I need to perfectly serviceable.

My personal path: I got a (cheap) V90 as a gateway drug, then a 351p, then 350m chasing sharp pixels, and recently a 552. The 552 screen is a perfect all-rounder but more expensive and different size category. Now I have that I’ll be selling the 350m.

Froist fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 14, 2022

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Is there anything in here that’s useful knowledge for Android in general or is it all RP2+ specific? I’ve gone down the RG552 path but don’t really know the first thing about Android so haven’t done any customisation/nice setup there. Though I kinda feel like it’s better to just wait until a newer Lineage is released before diving in too deeply.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

This is a real long shot, but I don't suppose anyone has a copy of the last build of JELOS for the 552? It's an alternate firmware by the original author of 351elec.

I was literally planning to install it tonight but went to the shops and when I came back there'd been some Discord drama and he'd taken the project offline.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Do you know how to switch to that? I'd be way more willing to give it a try.

In the settings screen for SimpleMenu, turn off default launcher (I think it’s called), then the “Shutdown” option changes to “Quit”. Adam is just a nicely configured OpenDingux install set to boot straight into SimpleMenu, it’s not a drastically different OS.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Annath posted:

Questions re: RG552:

What does the "Ports" folder do? What kind of files go in there?

Ports are standalone games, usually Linux versions of Steam/GoG games with some extra compatibility changes to make them work on these handhelds. Some of them are freeware and will work from a clean install, whereas others might install the compatibility files but need you to grab your data files from a version purchased on Steam.

If you're on 351elec the easiest way to install them is downloading Portmaster.zip, unzipping it to that "Ports" folder and then running it on the device. Things aren't still fully patched up for the 552; some work out of the box, some need tweaks for controls and some need tweaks for the screen. And some don't work at all yet.

Highlights for me are the native port of Mario 64, Stardew Valley, Iconoclasts, Spelunky (classic), VVVVVV. I saw one of the devs tease a photo of Celeste running on it but I don't think that's been released yet. There's a list of games from Portmaster here but I don't know how complete that is - new ones are often popping up.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

The Odin seems cool and I have one on order but the steam deck for like $80 more is the better buy no question about it. It’s just so much more powerful.

I keep seeing people compare the Odin to the Deck on performance alone, ignoring the fact the Deck is nearly 3x the volume. That’s just based off the published dimensions, not sure how much the concave back would take away (in both cases), but it’s still a real chunkster. Feel like there’ll be a lot of memes when people get their hands on it and underestimated the size.

I’m kinda regretting picking up a 552 having seen all these previews of the Odin now. It seems to improve on every shortcoming, and the 552 is kinda stuck in limbo right now - the best Linux CFW can’t share a ROMs card with Android and there’s no ETA on a better version of that. I knew it’d be down to community support anyway, just feels like by the time devs got their hands on it it was maybe more limited than people expected :(

(As another comparison, the Deck is well over 5x the volume of the 552)

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

beep-beep car is go posted:

The deck is also straight up massive. I get that you're supposed to be able to do a ton with it, but it's like "lol xbox heug" meme levels of large.

These are both handheld gaming systems.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

The Mini is really a different size class to the 351v, it’s way less than 1/3 of the overall size. And twice the resolution of the 280v.

It’s a brilliant little device with the Onion custom firmware - it’s near instant to jump in and out of different games on different systems, far quicker than any other device I own (v90, 351p, 552). It’s become my main “pick up and play” device, while I only use the others (552 mainly) for things it can’t run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Explosionface posted:

What's the current state of SNES and PSX on the Miyoo mini? I know at least some SNES was rough early on, but there have been firmware and Onion updates since.

Basically, the mini I originally ordered for my kid finally arrived, but he's happy with his 351P. I'm considering switching from my 351V down to the mini so I have something that's easier to just stick in a pocket and run around with. Then I need to sell off whichever system I don't want to keep.

The Mini is great with SNES and PSX as far as I’ve played, using the latest Onion beta. Yoshi’s Island runs fine (my usual SNES tester) - I don’t really know of any common PSX stress-test games but I’ve been playing THPS2 at 2x resolution and it’s fine for that.

The Mini’s become my most played device, beating the 552 and 351p. It’s just so quick to get in/out/between different games, far quicker than the better spec Anbernic devices. I’d like to think I’ll use my Odin more whenever that arrives, but the Mini’s just so drat convenient.