Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
It's been three days since I saw the movie, and I'm still buzzing. Never in my life have I had a cinema "experience", where something happened that wasn't just a film being good/bad, or personal memories due to who I saw the film with, or when/where I saw it. Finally, after four decades of going to the cinema, I know what it's like to see people cheering and clapping in the middle of a film, and not just once but on multiple occasions. Did not know how good that would feel, it was amazing.

Giving the people what they want, and not just as "hey, remember THIS?" but proper expansions and explorations of older stories with redemption arcs and conclusions to stories I never cared about before.

I laughed more at this than any other MCU movie before, and it wasn't just Whedon quips this time. I almost wanted to cry a couple of times too, and for the most surprising reasons.

That was a GODDAMN comic book movie. It's got some flaws, but they somehow outdid Endgame by cashing in not 20 movies of build-up, but 20 years of cynical corporate movie reboots and copyright ownership to create something beautiful.

Six movies in and Tom Holland Spidey finally gets an origin story, and it's all the better for the build-up. Movie owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Rhonne posted:

With MJ and Ned out of the picture(for now), I wonder if they use this as a chance to introduce a MCU Gwen Stacy? Of course, if you bring her in, do you just have her be normal Gwen or go full Ghost Spider?

Regarding the second point you will never see regular Gwen Stacy in a movie again. At this point that character is just "girlfriend who dies to make hero sad" and we've moved so far beyond that. Even if they wanted to do it (they don't) they've already done Peter being sad over people dying in front of him, twice, plus killing her off would undercut the saving of MJ by Garfield-Man as redemption for her death in that universe. Just having her as a GF civilian would still have people waiting for her to die, even without plans to kill her. Gwen Stacy is absolutely only ever returning as Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Jamesman posted:

Please spoil for me if No Way Home ends with a "WHAT THE F-" *cut to credits* like the previous two movies, and if so, what it is.

no fortunately

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Jiro posted:

Reset thoughts: So the ending was sort of a massive loving downer for me. Peter is now an orphan with no money, no idea how he got that apartment in NYC. No friends, nada, zip zilch. He apparently still exists on paper, but people now have no memory that a Peter Parker exists on Earth. Does this mean that since Nick Fury is off planet that him and Captain Marvel are the only ones that remember who he is?

No, not even them. But everyone remembers Spider-Man, so he can still turn up and hang out with heroes if he needs to, and at some point he'll gradually reintroduce himself to them as Peter if he feels safe enough to do so. Learning who to trust and when will be a big part of his story going forward.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
It's kinda funny to have a discussion about the MCU being sexless if you watch The Netflix shows because in those errybody loving. It's like they had a meeting about how to fill up a 13 hour season and every idea was followed with "and then they bone".

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Collapsing Farts posted:

it doesnt have to be a close up view of thors erect cock exploding out of his pants

But how else do we find out who is worthy?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
The problem with going with "even Batman's parents were bad", especially if they make it that Bruce is also failing on the philanthropy side of things, is that it'll vindicate every smug "well, what if Batman used his money to help Gotham instead of beating up poor people" hot take that everyone who has never read a comic in the last 40 years trots out like they're the first one to have this epiphany.

The Discourse will be awful if the movie takes that route.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Probably more the fact that they changed the release order of the films. Doc Strange 2 has (apparently) had a lot of changes made because of the shuffle.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
That Riddler is some Ned Flanders S&M nonsense.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
It's the glasses on top of the mask that I can't take seriously.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
You know what really summed up how the Batfleck version of Batman totally missed the point of the character? It's not even the killing, as that's a whole separate moral debate on how he's shown. It's that in every single scene, be it in Justice League, BvS, or Suicide Squad, his cape is always thrown back, exposing his shoulders, as if it's an annoyance to keep out of the way and not an integral part of who he is and what he does (mindset, method, and aesthetic).

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
The problem with Batman in the JL movies (both cuts), is the same as Wolverine in the X-Men films. In both cases they should only be the main character in their own books, as soon as they are part of an ensemble they should be pushed into the background and used for their special skills. Hugh Jackman was too tall, too handsome, too popular an actor to play Logan, and so he ended up leading just because of the actor, not what was right for the role. With JL they had killed off Superman so it was Batman putting the team together, which is completely arse about face. Batman should be lurking in the shadows, barely turning up at meetings, just watching and waiting before he turns up to deliver the plan/macguffin weapon/killing blow after studying the situation from the sidelines.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I just finished rewatching it, and the pacing issues are almost completely gone on a second viewing. It’s still a very beautiful film with actual things to say on what it is to be human and I will forever be sulky that Marvel trying something deeper and more thoughtful is what makes all the critics turn on them.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Cap had just saved half the universe. As a soldier, he has every soldier’s truest wish, that one day they get to put war behind them and go home and live in peace.

Steve Rogers is a faithful man, and he had a once in a forever chance to return, after winning his “war”, to return to the only woman he’d ever loved. He’d earned that right to live happily and in peace. Hell, if he hadn’t returned to Peggy, that would have been a betrayal of who he was and everything he stood for.

I know some nerds who’ve never touched a woman without it leading to a court case got hung up on “he’s a soldier, he wouldn’t abandon his duty” but Steve Rogers stood alone against a loving god, prevailed, and he gets that nice little life with his hot plump-breasted woman who also never gave up on him.

The Infinity Saga starting with a skinny kid in Brooklyn wanting to stand up to nazis, and ending with him travelling back in time to live happily ever after is perfect and I can never be friends with anyone who doesn’t understand how completely and utterly correct it is that 20 movies of buildup ends with Steve Rogers finally getting that dance.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

mikeraskol posted:

Makkari was by far the coolest speedster (from a combat perspective). She was putting in work on Ikaris. I really liked that.

The Ikaris heel turn was great, they should have focused on that and discarded the Deviants after the reveal. The super evolved Deviant felt superfluous and stupid.

I was okay with it. The super Deviant is mostly there not to be a threat, so much as to be another aggrieved voice at being just playthings of the gods, sent to do their bidding. I can see how some people weren't happy at him being a poor villain, but he's not even a villain, just a force of nature unleashed by Arishem doing what he was taught (programmed/instructed) to do. The evolution isn't to make him deadlier, it's to make him more self-aware and vocal. He does also serve the purpose of breaking up the final fight so that he can provide *some* threat while Ikaris gets a timeout from Phastos.

I'd go further and say there are no villains in this film. The deviants are just being true to their nature, Arishem is a god trying to birth more gods to create life, and Ikaris is just following faith and duty to its painful extremes until it comes up against the unbreechable wall of his love for Sersi. His anguish at what he has done, and what he has become, is tangible, Madden killed those scenes and on rewatch there's a real sense of that constant internal conflict.

While I'm on the subject of this good as hell film, the other bit of the rewatch that really got me was Phastos and his little family home. When his husband comes out and tells him that he has to go, to just try and buy a chance of their son getting to grow up and live his own life, and that song plays as he puts his son to bed and kisses his husband goodbye... man, they finally did a prominent gay main character and it was one of the most emotionally rewarding moments in the MCU. Leave me, go and run towards danger, because our son needs you to... Phastos then going to loving town on Ikaris because he's fighting not to save the world, but to save his world... so drat good. Between that and Makkari being so angry at Ikaris battering Druig she's hitting him with sonic booms, it was one of the most emotionally investing fights in these films.

I swear, the more I think about this film the more I like it. Felt that way after first viewing. Confirmed it after the rewatch. If anyone wants me I'll be on this hill defending this film for the foreseeable future.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Was just reminded that there’s a (smaller) Celestial in GotG shown blowing up a planet with the Power Stone. They’ve had the visuals for these things on lock for years. I’ll never tire of things like rewatching that scene in 2022 and now it means something because of a film that came out just 2 months ago.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Yeah they announced it yesterday

turn into a swan and gently caress me, daddy

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Hello, it's me, the Eternals liker, here to say that the movie didn't need a human insert character because the entire point of the film is demi-gods learning about their own humanity and rejection of being soulless obedient automatons.

The true human insert characters are the human insert characters we became along the way.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Karloff posted:

NWH had a really good balance. Sure, the other Spider-Men turned up, but then it used them to expound on the narrative and themes of the film. It had function, it wasn't just fan service for the sake of fan service. That's sort of the ideal. I hope MOM is clever with it, and remains otherwise focused on Strange/Wanda et al but we'll see. I will say from the trailer, the film's imagery looks incredible, might put to bed many of the complaints about Marvel's visual style.

I think MoM will likely go far more insane with the cameos, and that will be totally fine because it's clearly going for the whole "cross ALL the streams" vibe. Sure, go hog wild, this is the film to do that.

NWH worked only because it was so restrained. They could have gone full live-action Spiderverse and had Italian Spider-Man and Japanese Spider-Man and all that, but what would have been the point? It would have no emotional connection to the story, it would just be niche cameos for the sake of niche cameos. It had focus on Tobey spidey as the older dad of the group, Andrew spidey as fun uncle who is still dealing with unresolved loss issues, both of whom are there to give emotional support and life guidance to Tom spidey. It's all a character piece about those three Peters, giving story development to all three of them in ways that were touching and important.

MoM doesn't really have that requirement. The only person really needing a sense of development is Wanda, who is in a (pun intended) Strange place after Wandavision. Other than that, might as well pull out all the stops and show a ton of fun things from the comics that would otherwise never get put into a live action MCU. They've probably got only a couple of chances to do all these multiverse shenanigans before they have to close it all down as a resolved plotpoint in the same way that we're almost certainly not getting time travel again after Endgame (not without leaving it for a few years at least, just to make sure people aren't always expecting these things to be used as props to resolve any storyline).

It seems like a good NWH companion piece too. You had WV and Loki setting up the idea that things are about to get weird, NWH using it for a character study, now Doctor Strange about to bathe in references and insanity. I wish the other movies on the uncoming schedule weren't all so... BIG, but I guess the smaller scale "aaand breath" MCU stuff is now going to be the D+ series in between. More worried about the scale of the films that come after, but right now I'm so ready for MoM to just have all the cameos.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I swear, I'm a grown adult, and I still cannot get my head around how it was supposed to work in the original Thor comics. So he's a human doctor, with his own life and personality, and then he strikes his cane and he becomes Thor, an entirely separate person with his own personality. But they are still two separate people, yet also not because only one can exist at a time, and...

I'm so lost. loving funny book from the 1960s making me lose any self-belief that I'm smart.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Shageletic posted:

They turned into a joyless slog a couple movies in.

Still think the Reeves-less first one is the best of that saga

I haven't seen the Reeves monke movies because the first one was so bad that I just noped out of the entire series.

Listen, I already got caught by seeing the Burton monke movie at the cinema and I have no patience for inferior reboots to what was a good series of original films that still hold up. (1, 3 and 4 at least.) If you people tell me the Reeves flicks are worth returning for, I'll cautiously consider it, but I'm still not over the first one going "p.s. the humans all suddenly died" near extinction of the human race that happened during the end credits, just casually thrown in there as if it's the least important thing to happen in the film.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Samovar posted:

Uhh...

It kinda is. The ascension of the apes is the most important thing.

Monkies eat brain pills wasn't compelling for me, YMMV. Ape ascendancy being reliant on an off-screen apocalypse greatly undercuts it. Apocalyse stories are great. Post-apocalyse stories are great. Give me a pre-apocalyse story and then skip over the end of the world, and that's just narrative blue balls right there.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Eh, so long as they are legal consenting adults it doesn’t matter. Jokes on Leo, because nobody under the age of 25 knows how to gently caress. All I can think is that he dates young so they don’t know how poo poo in bed he is.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Hey, weird movie detail request: did this movie actually have Batman use his cape as an actual cape? As in, it's not thrown back to expose his shoulders as if it's annoying to even be wearing the drat thing, which was the case in literally every. single. shot. in the Batfleck movies.

I just want to know that in at least one scene the cape is falling forward to hide his arms/chest because he wreaths himself in it, and it's not just there as decoration.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Why are people saying "banff" and on a regular basis? Is this an American thing?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
The most original and subversive take of the character at this point would be to make The Joke actually funny.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I do feel Heath Ledger had some genuinely brilliant and funny moments. The “magic trick” and the “dog with his head out the car window” stuff.

I like Keogh, but Ledger was something special and the last truly unique Joker for me.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Jamesman posted:

Some interesting (and confusing) spoilers from the director of Morbius, as part of an interview with CinemaBlend. I'm assuming this is all real.

It's my understanding that we don't generally like to post spoilers for movies that aren't even out yet, so all I'll say is you can find this info out on CinemaBlend's Twitter, and :psyduck:

I went and read it, and... wow yeah you're not wrong. I mean, maybe the movie won't be total dogshit, but the way they are handling some stuff absolutely is. My interest in it went from low to non-existant.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

SlimGoodbody posted:

And the role of Joss Whedon will now be played by Louis C.K.

I hope Poison Ivy isn't in this film.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I feel like doing the first Secret Wars these days would only come off as a way more cynical mish mash of the airport fight in Civil War.

Pretty much this.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Protect this sweet baby nerd at all costs.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Gologle posted:

It'll take 30 minutes of both screen time and in universe time and will involve a lot of groaning and staggering around and they will also visit uncle Ben's grave and she'll talk about how they met and fell in love and how his favorite catchphrase was "with great power there must also come great responsibility" and how would say it all the time to everyone and Peter would be very visibly confused during the whole 30 minutes

"It's more Ben time"

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

IUG posted:

Y’all are nuts not letting Jason be The Torch. He already has practice throwing fire! BORTLES!
Chidi should be The Thing just so you could watch him freak out when he gets the rock skin.
Elinor should be Mrs Fantastic, and marry her to Tahani Janet. gently caress it, make the subtext text.

Dr Doom could be played by Michael. He’s already got the laugh.

https://youtu.be/ig6TYsD5X2A

This I could get behind, with just one small change.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
My non-spoiler review of Love and Thunder is that the first two acts are a sequel to The Dark World, and the third act is a sequel to Ragnarok.

(I actually like The Dark World so make of that what you will.)

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Darth Brooks posted:

I enjoyed L&T the longer it went on. The start was wacky overload but when the story got more serious it got good.

I was genuinely touched by the end hospital scene where Thor calls Mjolnir "that dammed hammer" after spending the movie pinning for it.

I am going thru chemo and at one point my wife asked me if the movie was striking too close to home.

Gonna speak for everyone reading this thread, and wish you all the best with your treatment. And if along the way you too end up looking like a buff Natalie Portman then post pics.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
On L+T, specifically on Gorr I feel there’s a missing scene about why Gorr changes plans. First he is killing gods, and the distress call thing suggests it’s both new and he’s doing really well chopping them up with his sword and shadow monsters. All of which happens offscreen, which sucks, but whatever.

Then he suddenly changes to hunting Thor because he wants Stormbreaker to open the bifrost so he can get a magic wish to do a “no more gods” House of G move. But we never see when he learns of Eternity, why he decides to stop his already successful godslaying, and it feels like there should be a god murder session where he’s getting pissed off at the pace, and maybe a god tries to bargain for their life by giving up the info on Eternity.

Still don’t like he then goes for luring Thor into a trap when just keep on attacking him directly would be much more productive, but eh comic books. But the more I think about the film, the more I feel it needs that extra god murder/change of plans scene to flesh out what Gorr is doing.

Doesn’t help that Thor’s plan is to recruit gods to help fight (valid) but then he decides that just taking Zeus’ thunderbolt would be enough. Bitch please, you literally crafted Stormbreaker as a Thanos killing weapon and now you already want to get another new toy instead?

I like the film, but both protagonist and antagonist both separately finding out about Eternity by accident and making it their goal feels a little scruffy and aimless. Just a bit of tighter writing and a couple of scenes changed and this would have all come together so much better I feel.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He cracks the secret to eternity in the first scene of him in the shadow dimension. He stops killing individual gods because he can get all of them at once with eternity.

Am I forgetting something? I only remember Gorr murking the first god, then talk about him killing stuff, then him showing up at Asgard. Shadow Dimension only happens after he’s stolen the Asgard kids and is already hunting Thor because reasons. There was no “oh, this’ll be so much quicker” scene for him, even implied.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't Jane see the notes and research and imply that he had been working on it and recently figured it out?

Yeah, that’s later in the movie. Again it goes back to “yes he did this… but offscreen” and I guess I just feel it was just one of many things that would have improved the movie had I seen these things happen rather than be told that at some point they had happened (sources: trust me).

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
The young Han actor was the best thing about that film, and deserved a better movie. Hell if they’d just made him Dash Rendar and dropped the over reliance on memberberries it would have been a much stronger film.

Ah, but it was so important to learn that Han Solo’s dice, which I never noticed before, had an origin story.

Lol that they also made those dice the emotional resolution of Han/Luke/Leia’s story, when they were memories of Han’s first love. Sure, give *those* to Leia.

Ahhh, Star Wars. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

SlimGoodbody posted:

Not relevant to the thread but I am suspicious of that narrative regardless because the US has a history of making poo poo up/exaggerating events to scapegoat it's own problems or justify its belligerence. The state stopped talking about Uighurs once it had Putin and Ukraine to use as a more plausible cover for inflation/declining standards of living.

But any further discussion is probably more pertinent to DnD or CSPAM.

oh goody, genocide denial in the funnybooks film thread