Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I'm contributing to the low box office of modern blockbusters by only ever going to the 11:15 showings for $5.50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm contributing to not watching until it gets on Disney+ because of COVID and also just don't want to go to a packed theater to watch a Marvel movie since there will be someone acting obnoxious

That's the side benefit of going at 11 am. It's never crowded.

The only really obnoxious crowd reactions I have ever had was when a group of children were bawling their eyes out at the end of Infinity War when everyone died.

It was also pretty hilarious because they were asking their mom if "Spider-Man is really dead" and the mom just got a solemn look and said, "I don't know honey... I don't know."

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 11, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fezz posted:

Isn't Guardians 3 going to be pre-Infinity War? So Thor wouldn't be in it because it's before they met?

No. It takes place in the "normal" chronology following Love and Thunder. It's about the creation Adam Warlock.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

They don't really clarify how it works in the movies, but it is implied that turning to magic god dust sends you there (hence Jane's acceptance as an Asgardian resulting in dust + going there).

Seems like Odin would definitely be there, but not clear if original Loki would be or not. In the comics, basically whoever Odin wants gets in, so who knows?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

If you can breathe in space, plow through an alien ship with no injuries, literally fly, conjure up pure energy at will, and be nearly imperious to physical harm, then "ages a little slower" or "got botox" probably aren't too unrealistic explanations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

drat sounds pretty op. she'd be really useful if aliens invaded or megalomaniacal AI were to try to take over!1!1:shepface:

But, Fury was only supposed to use the beeper in a global super emergency! New York and Sokovia are just single areas and not the whole world!

I think the official explanation for New York is that the battle was over in a couple hours. For Ultron, I don't think they even bother trying to explain it. Fury was supposed to be dead at that point, so maybe he left the beeper in his locker at work at couldn't get it back until the janitor gave him his key back after Civil War?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Parkingtigers posted:

On L+T, specifically on Gorr I feel there’s a missing scene about why Gorr changes plans. First he is killing gods, and the distress call thing suggests it’s both new and he’s doing really well chopping them up with his sword and shadow monsters. All of which happens offscreen, which sucks, but whatever.

Then he suddenly changes to hunting Thor because he wants Stormbreaker to open the bifrost so he can get a magic wish to do a “no more gods” House of G move. But we never see when he learns of Eternity, why he decides to stop his already successful godslaying, and it feels like there should be a god murder session where he’s getting pissed off at the pace, and maybe a god tries to bargain for their life by giving up the info on Eternity.

Still don’t like he then goes for luring Thor into a trap when just keep on attacking him directly would be much more productive, but eh comic books. But the more I think about the film, the more I feel it needs that extra god murder/change of plans scene to flesh out what Gorr is doing.

Doesn’t help that Thor’s plan is to recruit gods to help fight (valid) but then he decides that just taking Zeus’ thunderbolt would be enough. Bitch please, you literally crafted Stormbreaker as a Thanos killing weapon and now you already want to get another new toy instead?

I like the film, but both protagonist and antagonist both separately finding out about Eternity by accident and making it their goal feels a little scruffy and aimless. Just a bit of tighter writing and a couple of scenes changed and this would have all come together so much better I feel.

He cracks the secret to eternity in the first scene of him in the shadow dimension. He stops killing individual gods because he can get all of them at once with eternity.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Parkingtigers posted:

Am I forgetting something? I only remember Gorr murking the first god, then talk about him killing stuff, then him showing up at Asgard. Shadow Dimension only happens after he’s stolen the Asgard kids and is already hunting Thor because reasons. There was no “oh, this’ll be so much quicker” scene for him, even implied.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't Jane see the notes and research and imply that he had been working on it and recently figured it out?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Post this in the Snyder thread in CineD and watch the forums crash.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

They basically already announced this when the merger went through and Warner was so heavily in debt that the new CEO said they are cancelling all new HBOMax content and focusing exclusively on Superman, Batman, and "in-house brand name" movies and video games until the company is out of debt.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

I hadn’t heard that

Here's a few stories from back in April. The new CEO promised to find $3 billion in cost savings following the merger and cut most new scripted content.

The New Warner/Discovery company is so heavily leveraged that they are cancelling basically everything and praying that a new vertically integrated DCCU with merch and video game tie-ins puts the company back on their feet.

They cancelled most new HBOMax series to direct resources to the new DC HBOMax tie-ins and they cancelled ALL scripted TV programs at TBS and TNT.

They also killed CNN+ after it was on-air for less than a week (to be fair, I have no idea what the business plan was for CNN+ or who would pay for a streaming service with mostly pre-recorded news segments).

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1519044895817707520

quote:

TNT and TBS are pausing their scripted game under new parent company Warner Bros. Discovery, which CEO David Zaslav has promised will find $3 billion in cost savings across the new company in the post-merger era, Variety has learned exclusively.

quote:

The WarnerMedia-run cable channels is no longer developing new scripted content, three sources close to the matter tell Variety. According to one insider, Warner Bros. Discovery leadership is currently evaluating the strategy for all of the so-called “TNets” — including truTV, which are run by Brett Weitz — and will have a better idea of the role each will play within the new regime moving forward.

quote:

During Discovery’s Q1 investor call on Tuesday, CFO Gunnar Wiedenfels said WarnerMedia assets profit projection for 2022 is $500 million lower than Discovery expected, and Discovery’s better-than-expected results help offset that for WBD.

“2022 will undoubtedly be a messy year,” he said, and Warner Bros. Discovery is looking to “rectify some of the drivers behind the business-case deviations” across the company. Wiedenfels called Warner Bros. Discovery’s very recent decision to shut down the newly launched CNN+ “exhibit A” of that strategy. It’s clear now that TNT and TBS’ scripted is part of that too.

The new CEO also said they going all in on IPs that they already owned and creating a vertically integrated company to produce video games and other tie-ins for those IP simultaneously.

quote:

Zaslav has pledged to find $3 billion in synergies in the newly merged company, a signal of how important cost cutting will be to Warners’ new owners. Mining DC’s library of characters could help control spending as Warner Bros. Discovery owns the underlying intellectual property, insiders say.

quote:

David Zaslav, the new CEO of Warner Bros. Discovery, believes Superman is being wasted by not being a larger part of DC's future film slate.

quote:

Zaslav has been toying with the idea of overhauling DC Entertainment following the $43 billion merger between Discovery and WarnerMedia. according to reports from Variety. He believes that "several top-shelf characters such as Superman have been left to languish and need to be revitalized."

quote:

Superman has not received a new solo film since 2013's Man of Steel, in which he was played by Henry Cavill. There have been talks of a sequel since the first film's release, but nothing has materialized or made it past initial discussions.

quote:

Cavill has not appeared as Superman since the theatrical and Snyder cuts of Justice League. Stand-in actors were used for Superman's brief cameos in 2019's Shazam! and the season 1 finale of Peacemaker.

The actor has remained open to reprising the role in future films set within the DC Extended Universe. During his promotional tour for The Witcher Season 2, Cavill revealed that he is simply waiting on DC to make the first move. "I do still have the outfit. Just in case," Cavill said. "Ready and waiting for the phone calls."

https://www.cbr.com/warner-bros-discovery-ceo-believes-superman-wasted-dc/

quote:

The new owners of all things Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are exploring an overhaul of DC Entertainment, multiple sources close to the situation told Variety.

quote:

It’s been less than a week since Discovery closed its $43 billion deal for WarnerMedia, joining one of the largest producers of reality programming with one of the most venerable entertainment brands under the new moniker of Warner Bros. Discovery. David Zaslav, the CEO of the combined companies, and top leadership have been toying with the idea of turning DC into its own solidified content vertical, the sources said.

The move would potentially affect DC feature film development in the Warner Bros. Pictures Group, streaming series at Warner Bros. Television, and the creative arm within DC proper — all in an effort to have the disparate elements more closely aligned in order to maximize the value of the superhero stable — one often seen as punching up against Marvel.

quote:

Before the merger closed, Zaslav vetted candidates with experience in creating and nurturing blockbuster intellectual property with a goal of potentially finding someone to serve as a creative and strategic czar similar to what Marvel has in Kevin Feige. One of those candidates included Emma Watts, a former top film executive at 20th Century Studios and Paramount, but it does not appear that Watts will take the job. One insider suggested that Zaslav was less interested in finding a creative guru and more eager to hire someone who had the type of business background needed to keep all the different factions at DC working more harmoniously.

Insiders say that Zaslav believes that the success of the merger, one that has left the company highly leveraged, will rest in no small part on unlocking the full potential of the DC Comics universe of characters. Discovery insiders believe that although DC has achieved cinematic success with recent films such as “Aquaman” and “The Batman,” it lacks a coherent creative and brand strategy. Discovery believes that several top-shelf characters such as Superman have been left to languish and need to be revitalized. They also believe that projects like Todd Phillips’ “Joker” are a shining example of how second-billed characters from the DC library can and should be exploited (Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn is another example).

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/dc-warner-bros-discovery-zaslav-hbo-max-1235232185/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 20, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The most shocking part of the announcement that they are cancelling all scripted content is that American Dad has been making new episodes uninterrupted for nearly two decades.

They also have a contract until 2023, so they have at least another year.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Arist posted:

It's a good show! I'm just as surprised as you!

I've also heard it actually is still good. It's just crazy that it has been making episodes for almost two decades straight.

There are going to be at least 359 episodes, which would make it one of the longest running animated series in history. It's wild.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

muscles like this! posted:

Even having a contract doesn't necessarily save it because TBS recently cancelled a show that had already filmed its episodes for the season. They announced hours before it was going to air that they weren't going to show it.

Hours before it was supposed to air? Cold blooded.

If you already paid for the show and the episodes are done, why bother trashing all of it? It's not like TBS has 24 hours of uninterruptable broadcast gold that pays for more than a free show could ever generate.

What show was it?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MK was apparently one of the biggest HBOMax streaming titles last year and WB owns the IP.

I don't know if that streaming success translates into box office money, but I guess that is what they are gambling on.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ah yes, the MK movie with no Mortal Kombat Tournament

Some of the decisions in that movie were really baffling.

I will admit to being one of the people who streamed it and helped lead WB to this decision, but I have no idea why they decided to have no tournament and to weirdly tease a bunch of palace intrigue in Outworld despite Outworld only being shown for about 15 seconds.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also instead of Johnny Cage it’s some new character? For some reason?

And Scorpion has a really great opening scene and then they excise him from the rest of the movie until they cameo him at the end.

Or the entire second act being a journey through the desert and extended training montage.

Or why they pre-killed several main characters from the games offscreen.

Or why the first act was primarily about how to get a tattoo and the retcon that the tattoo is what gives you magic powers.

It was like they were intentionally keeping their powder dry to save the good stuff, but then forgot to actually pay any of it off.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The first 12 minutes or so were legitimately really good.

The rest was just very uneven (disregarding the creative decisions) with some pacing issues in the second act.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Apparently, Giancarlo Esposito is being "looked at" for the role of Professor X in the MCU X-Men.

They have "looked at" and even gone through long interview processes (Pablo Schreiber says he had extended discussions with Marvel about being Wolverine that ended up going nowhere) for a lot of people that never got the role, so it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Although, it does indicate that they are open to, or at least considering, some changes to the core X-Men cast.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1550249238742925313

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fangz posted:

I think he means Uighurs.

Or Koreans.

Or Tibetans.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The de-aged him in 6 different ways in the comics, so it isn't that crazy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Magneto should be immortal because you know those magnetic immortality rings made by Alex Chiu?

Well Magneto has that naturally going on like 24/7 except times a million

This is literally one of the 6 canonical ways they made him age slower in the comics.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jamesman posted:

So for Thunderbolts, who are our potential cast?

We got Abomination, Zemo, Ghost, US Agent, Taskmaster, and then maybe Yelena, Agatha and/or Kamran?

The other characters that are in the MCU (or likely will be by the time Thunderbolts comes out) that were in the comics version are:

- Batroc the Leaper
- Scorpion
- Venom (Mac Gargan version)
- Bullseye
- Swordsman (Seems unlikely that his MCU version will be, though)
- Deadpool
- Winter Soldier (MCU version seems unlikely to be in there)
- America Chavez (MCU version seems unlikely)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

whos that having the baby in the water?

thats certainly a first for a superhero trailer:colbert:

Looks like it is Namor being born based on the mom's skin tones, the Atlanteans, and the Aztec jewelry/clothes.

Unless there are other Atlanteans with human mothers.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

XboxPants posted:

Babby also has wings on his ankles.

Didn't even notice that, but yeah. Wing feet takes it from 99% Namor to 100% Namor.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

There's 8 different MCU projects (TV and movies) to be announced at D23.

Unless they are sneaking a ton of unrelated animated content in there, then they are probably filling out the rest of phase 6 at D23.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is M'Baku wearing a Black Panther suit at 1:21 or is that something else

Word is Killmonger. Don't click unless you want to read an unconfirmed leak and spoil it.

Note the black and gold.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

X-O posted:

That is definitely a woman in the suit.

That would make the most sense.

Maybe I have butt gender blindness. I can see it being a woman, but I don't know if it is definitely a woman.

It's also Killmonger's suit, but I guess they never specify if the suits are gender neutral.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It seems like Killmonger will be back in some form based on the leak and Angela Basset saying everyone would be back from last year:

quote:

A new report suggests Michael B. Jordan will return as Killmonger in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever with a new and more cooperative role. Although the report has yet to be confirmed by other outlets, it falls in line with other reports and rumors suggesting Michael B. Jordan will return to play Killmonger once again. In 2019, Angela Bassett spoke about Wakanda Forever at the Screen Actors Guild Awards and revealed that everyone would be back, with her husband Courtney B. Vance calling out Jordan. Bassett also noted that no one actually saw Killmonger go into the ocean.

Although, the Basset comment was before Boseman died, so who knows.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

so no drafts right? just haphazard writing for what is surely going to have a budget the size of a small nation's GDP.

2028 at the most. period. that is if you want something other than poo poo people will look back fondly at to buy on streaming

but chapeks a loving moron anyway so:cripes:

Except for Wakanda Forever (for obvious reasons), most of these movies and shows started script drafts and pre-production 3-5 years before they come out.

They've been worked on for a long time before they are publicly announced. According to Feige, the first planning session for Infinity War happened 9 years before the release date.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

JT Smiley posted:

You think it should take them six years to come up with the script for a Marvel movie?

According to interviews, the script itself usually takes about a year.

Codependant poster basically explained it, but the way Feige laid it out in an interview was:

- Feige and co. plan out the broad strokes of the movie 3-5 years in advance.

The example Feige gave was that for Guardians of the Galaxy he told them it had to include the Power Stone, no main Guardians could fully die, and Thanos had to be involved in some way to tie him to Gamora. Everything else was up to the script writers and Gunn.

- The script writers write a script on their own based on those broad outlines.

- The director comes in and can make changes to the script, but can't add, kill, or use certain characters/comics plot lines unless approved by Feige.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Yeah, there hasn't been an official confirmation of Moon Knight season 2 in any way except for the hook at the after credits scene.

The only other tiny hint of a second season is that they had originally called it a "limited series" and had referred to the 6th episode as the "series finale," but they changed it to "season finale" shortly after it aired. Not sure how much you can read into that, though.

Marvel also said that there are currently no plans for a second season, but also said this when asked why they kept the ending open-ended if there are no plans for a second season:

quote:

"There are new challenges and new rewards that come with making longer-form stories. We're keeping the endings more open now, I think. We don't have to tie up every loose end. And when you create characters as strong as Moon Knight and Scarlet Scarab, we can confidently go into the future knowing that there's more stories left to tell and new characters that we can bring in to tell them."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

STAC Goat posted:

The Phase 4/Phase 5 restructuring seems basically intended to lay this stuff out in a more orderly seasons nature so like I assume the stuff we don't see is just being held back for production or "it follows up on stuff from something else" reasons.

Yeah, they said Phase 1, 2, and 3 were the "Infinity Saga" and they just announced that 4, 5, and 6 are officialy the "Multiverse Saga."

So, Phase 4 is basically the same as Phase 1 in terms of introducing new people and establishing the vaguest concept of the multiverse/Kang just like Phase 1 was introducing the team and establishing the vaguest concept of the Infinity Stones/Thanos.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

theironjef posted:

Also room there for an Eternals 2 and maybe a Strange 3. They'll want to follow up on those casting announcement post-credit stings.

Multiverse of Madness just came out. There were 6 years between Doctor Strange 1 and 2. Seem unlikely that they would drop a third one in two years after Multiverse.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah, but he is right. Like the aquaman villain was right.

Seems kind of dickish and ineffective to kill most people in NYC and do nothing to the rest of the world when NYC is responsible for 1% of the garbage in the ocean.

Even in an "ends justify the means" way, getting rid of that 1% doesn't actually make the ocean cleaner or stop the other 99%.

He should either be killing all surface dwellers or making them agree to a global commitment to clean up the ocean.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The first soundtrack was dope and mostly original music. Is the second one mostly original as well?

The No Woman No Cry remix is really atmospheric and well done, but not necessarily something I would jam to like Kendrick Lamar.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Winter Soldier is unironically still easily a top 2 MCU movie and hard to top.

The only weakness is that the 10-year CGI can be a little dated on parts.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

STAC Goat posted:

Gray Man just felt like it fell victim to this whole wave of directors over indulging in the no limits streaming age. With Marvel they had lines to color within. poo poo got a little broad without them.

I've not seen it, but the gist I've heard is that it is pretty mediocre with a generic spy story, a couple really amazing drone shots, and a few neat fight scenes. Probably not worth seeking out, but not the worst choice ever if you have some time to kill.

Would you say the internet consensus is accurate/fair?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

X-O posted:

Political thriller/espionage is my favorite genre of film. And this movie starred some of my favorite actors and was made by a team that has been rock solid. I had high expectations and it was just... there. I had no investment in the plot whatsoever. And this is a genre where that's crucial. Acting and action can't carry that type of movie if there's nothing of substance there.

Yeah. The plot seems to be the biggest complaint. Every review says it is very generic. I'll probably catch it at some point, but even if it is fine, they hype and expectations they set were really high.

Also, I finally saw the grainy cell phone video of the Ant-Man footage and I did not realize that Bill Murray was playing the secondary villain in the movie.

Apparently, it was announced a year ago, but I somehow missed it. That was a very unexpected face to pop up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Who is Murray playing? Or is that still unknown? We know that Kang and MODOK are in it but I’m wondering who he would be.

I don't think it's been announced and I can't tell if he is supposed to be someone specific. In the (incredibly grainy and only showing about half the screen because the guy recording it is keeping it at his side so security doesn't take his phone) video of the trailer, it looks like he is part of some society that lives in the Quantum Realm. There's cities and people/things that seem to exist there.

He only says one line: "Janet Van Dyne? I thought you were dead."

So, not much to go off of there.