Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I really want to go see New Mutants but movie theatres are still closed in NY and I dick around on my phone too much when I watch movies at home, so I’m ehhhh about spending streaming rental prices on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
What the gently caress. I had no idea he had cancer.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I don't know why people bring this up as some kind of black mark. They traded up from a pretty middling actor to one of the best actors working today.

In addition to his performance being middling, apparently he was a nightmare to work with and his weird Terryology thing makes me think that’s almost certainly true. That’s some Timecube poo poo right there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JordanKai posted:

I was going to post something about how by the time BP2 comes out, Nyong'o would be old enough as an actress to convincingly take on the mantle of the Black Panther from her brother. However, when I went to look her up on Wikipedia I found out that she's 37. :eyepop: I honestly believed she was closer to her teens than her thirties, and I was under the impression that the character of Shuri was supposed to be a teen genius.

Uhhh... Shuri wasn’t played by Lupita Nyong’o, she was played by Letitia Wright, who’s a lot younger.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Retro Futurist posted:

Rewatching The Avengers, and man Thanos' involvement makes less sense here than in Ultron.
He hands Loki the mind stone and sends him to invade earth to take the tesseract (presumably he also knows the time stone is there), but the entire plot is based around Loki powering the tesseract up enough to pull the Chitauri army through, and there's just no reason to believe he can't just roll up and do it himself anyways. Space travel in the later movies shows it to be nothing, and even if it took him a while he's not really in a rush at any point anyways.

It makes sense when you consider that Asgard is still at full strength, and so is Ego. Both things that could absolutely gently caress him up if it becomes obvious that he wants to get all seven stones.

But really they just hadn’t thought through where the story was going yet.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m actually wondering how they could have made Endgame work without the 2012 NYC 3 stone multiball that they accidentally ended up with. I guess getting each stone was separate enough it wouldn’t have padded the runtime that much, but it was cool they managed to bring the first avengers movie into the last one like that without it being planned in advance.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Avengers ends with him talking about courting death.

Ultron ends with him saying "I'll do it myself", at which point he gets another army, another group of minions and almost immediately begins delegating.

I don’t think he has any of his agents running around independently after that. There’s the black order but infinity war shows them under his direct command decades before and his collecting the stones starts with him tearing poo poo up personally at the end of Thor 3.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I live in NY and it’s been doing very well, but even then we don’t have movie theatres open because they want to keep it that way.

I really wanted to see Tenet. :smith:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

thebardyspoon posted:

If true then it could be something like Ant Man and the other characters in the film encounter him and initially he seems like an ally until they accidentally mention they hosed with time in Endgame or he's just observing them knowing they did that and pretending to be an ally. Maybe like an inversion of what they did with Mysterio where he's actually an incredibly powerful being pretending to be a relative chump. Then they use that as an opportunity to give him some backstory and build him as a threat. He's the other big Avengers villain they haven't used yet aside from Zemo leading the Masters of Evil I'd say so would make sense to use him in multiple films.

Yeah, my first thought was that he’s going to be the next Thanos, a presence in the movies but not the main threat for a while.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
William Jackson Harper is way too likeable to play Reed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arist posted:

I'm assuming a lot of it's "they have the entire back Disney catalog so my young children love keeping it on all the time" subs.

The fact it’s also 7 dollars a month helps too. Like, I don’t use it all that often but 7 bucks a month is worth paying so I can toss on a marvel movie or some old Simpsons when I feel like it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arist posted:

Please hurry up and cast She-Hulk already so I can be disappointed as soon as possible

I’m trying to think of the last time I was dissapointed by Marvel casting and coming up short. Maybe Benedict Cumberbatch? That was less because he was a bad choice and more that it was a bit on the nose.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dan Didio posted:

Give it to, gently caress, I don't know, Rosario Dawson, she'll probably knock it out of the park.

I wonder what they’re going to do with casting for characters that were in the Netflix series if they use those characters again, speaking of Rosario Dawson. Some of the casting there was great but I’m guessing they don’t want people associating stuff with the Netflix series too closely.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

duck trucker posted:

I'd be ok brining back Danny if all the other characters dunk on him. .

I also think any actor that has to act in a show headed up by Scott Buck deserves at least one pass.

I don’t think the actual actor was bad at all, but he was totally set up to fail. In season 1 he was learning fight scenes the day of the shoot, which is... :psyduck:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dawgstar posted:

Also we got what felt like Actual Iron Fist in that one episode of Luke Cage so he can do it if, you know, directed well.

I would love an Immortal Iron Fist movie based on the Seven Capital Cities of Heaven arc, directed by Keanu Reeves. Go watch Man of Tai Chi and tell me his directorial style wouldn’t work great for an Iron Fist movie.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

:drat:

Coming soon but not soon enough. I’m really looking forwards to how they work with the whole Wanda/vision/vision’s death and how Wanda typically handles that.

E:

FlamingLiberal posted:

I laughed at Vision wearing the Halloween costume version of one of his comic outfits

Wanda does the same, too

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m watching X Men Apocalypse for the first time since it was in theatres (gotta love Hulu auto play)and... it’s not bad but I forgot just how much it wasted Oscar Isaac. You can’t even tell it’s him at all. Still a drat sight better than Dark Phoenix though.

I really do hope that Disney goes back and does Apocalypse and Dark Pheonix properly when they do some X Men movies, though. Both great villains that have never lived up to their potential in adaptations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Question IRL posted:

The crazy thing about the new films post First Class was this.

Like when Synger did the original X-Men trilogy he didn't want these "superhero/comic" ideas in them because they were for babies and wouldn't sell.

And he was massively wrong* about this.

But then First Class comes out and there is suddenly this new chance at doing the X-Men films and there are all these opportunities to use more comic based ideas in this films.

And Fox just piss them all away.

Here's a scene in Wolverine which would set it up for him to have this classic costume. No follow-up!

Here's the new X-kids in comic accurate costumes at the end of Apocalypse. Don't use them!

Like where was the interconectivity between the films? It was gone.
Suddenly you have characters appear in the 60's to 90's with no explanation for why they aren't aging.
You decide to setup story beats (okay Mystique impersonated Stryker and rescues Wolverine at the end of DOTFP. Obviously they are going to use this to change Wolverines past....oh no. He still ends up in Weapon X.) And not pay them off.

And you have these obvious story beats you could play with that you don't.
(Alright Apocalypse has all this alien technology that was given to him to let him rule. Why? No reason.
But make sure he gets killed by the Phoenix. And have the next film be about aliens who want to control the Phoenix. Under no circumstances should we try and link these ideas.)

It just seemed like there was a baffling failure to engage with such a rich source material.

*= Not the the thing he was most wrong about.

For sure. It creates a feeling of a series where it was constantly having shifts in the creative team who wanted to use their own ideas instead of the set up from the past movies, despite being run by the same person for the whole series. It’s been a pretty huge problem for all the X-films, and it’s why I’m looking forward to seeing what Marvel does with it. They’ve been really good at keeping elements moving forward from film to film in a coherent and satisfying way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The problem is that the setup is usually incredibly perfunctory and feels like they’re thinking “well, I guess we have to do the pheonix thing so let’s start jamming it in there now”

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The original X Men movies felt like they went from having an ensemble cast in the first one followed by “holy poo poo, Halle Berry and Hugh Jackman are blowing up right now, let’s really emphasize Storm and Wolverine”, and it really jacked up any setup for Pheonix in the third one. Which was a turd for other reasons, too, mind you.

The new movies were mostly incoherent and couldn’t decide what to do with the characters or what ones to focus on (outside of “Jennifer Lawrence is huge now, really focus on Mystique I guess”) but they at least lucked into knocking DOFP out of the park.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dawgstar posted:

It was kind of funny they continued to focus on a character whose actress seemed like she wanted to be there less with each movie.

I don’t think she emoted once in Apocalypse. It was almost impressive how little effort she put in.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Retro Futurist posted:

One thing Marvel would do is not pussy foot around the Phoenix being a giant space firebird, that's what has really lacked so far

Marvel definitely understands that insane comic book poo poo can absolutely work in movies, but you have to entirely commit to it. That’s where the non-DOFP new X Men movies failed to varying degrees. Dark Phoenix was like “alright, there’s aliens. But they’re just going to be basically normal people, and they’ll be led by Jessica Chastain playing Jessica Chastain. And there’s the Phoenix Force, but, like, it just melts some people. And basically none of the characters with weird appearances will be that way for most of the movie because the actors are sick of this franchise and don’t want to wear prosthetics anymore.”

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I enjoy DKR but I’ll freely admit 90 percent of what I like about it has nothing to do with the movie itself and everything about it being a giant nostalgia bomb on like three different levels for me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Well fine boo for exploiting her until now.

I don’t think she’s been in anything before.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Retro Futurist posted:

Given that they got mutants back and immediately stopped caring about the Inhumans I assume they're going to change Kamala's origin around a lot. Probably won't turn her into a mutant or anything but I'd be surprised to see terrigenesis

The avengers game just uses terrigenesis so I wouldn’t be too shocked.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
McGuire was a good Parker but a meh Spider-Man, Garfield was a great Spider-Man but bad Parker. Tom Holland actually manages to get both parts of the role down really well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Yvonmukluk posted:

Jake Johnson is the best movie Peter Parker Spider-Man*. I will take no further questions.

*I'm counting Spider-Man Noir as his own thing.

He was so good as depressed, washed up Parker.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Spider-Man 2’s pacing felt all kinds of messed up back in the day and it feels even worse now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Between the Raimi films and Batman Begins, I will say it made it incredibly refreshing when Iron Man ended with him straight up going “I am Iron Man”. The secret identity stuff took up so much of those movies.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I do wonder how much of the contemporaneous praise for the first Raimi Spider-Man is on it’s own merits vs the fact it was the first superhero movie in decades that wasn’t loving terrible.

E:I guess the first X Men movie was before that and was just mostly mediocre instead of terrible but my point stands.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Codependent Poster posted:

Aunt May from the Raimi Spider-Man movies hasn't held up well with the reinterpretations being much better. Though I guess cool younger Aunt May wasn't really a thing until Ultimate Spider-Man.

It was a thing in people’s heads before that, at least. Tons of “why does this high schooler have an aunt straight out of a LifeAlert commercial” jokes back in the day.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

New Wave Jose posted:

I really thought it was Beck saying that to cover the fact that no ones heard about him and to gain the trust of the heroes. I'm pretty sure he is not really from another dimension but pretented to be

Did you see Far From Home? It wasn’t implied, that was explicit in the movie.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

IUG posted:

Any number of civilians in a 3 square mile radius probably got killed by that orbital bombardment. If you lived through it, and didn't have powers, you'd better be running away from the sudden war zone.

I mean, it’s upstate NY. “Anyone in a 3 mile radius” is like four people and a cat.

Also, there’s gonna be a MODOK show with Patton Oswalt?!?! How did I not know about this?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Snyder cut is going to be so loving overstuffed as it is. If the joker is more than just a cameo of Batman punching him once and then going off to do actual plot relevant stuff... just wow.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

If he wants to add sex monsters to his cut he can replace Eisenberg with Kevin Spacey for Lex.

Honestly you could replace Eisenberg with a bowl of pudding and cue cards with his lines on them and it’d probably be an improvement.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’ve read that Tim Roth was supposed to return as Blonsky in Civil War but there was too much going on in that movie and they couldn’t fit it in

I really hope they bring him back at some point but as like, Blomsky/Abomination instead of All Abomination All The Time. Tim Roth is great and having him be all CGIed up for all his screen time would be a waste.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vince MechMahon posted:

Justin Hammer gets recruited out of jail by Ross post Civil War and you get the Thunderbolts with those two, abomination, Ellen Brandt, Ghost (she's good but had to join up with them to stay alive after the snap), and then a couple of new villains. They could have done it if they wanted, they just don't want to.

I mean, if you're going for "why not do it instead of Ultron", Cap 3 hadn't come out yet so no Ross, Zemo, or Ghost. And by the only movie that came out after Ghost debuted was Endgame, which was no time for a villain team up.

E

Vince MechMahon posted:

She's got Extremis, she can get better.

Marvel's done a good job of keeping dead characters dead so far and I'm glad they have.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vince MechMahon posted:

Batman Returns has three villains teaming up in different ways. Batman Begins has 4 if you count Zsasz (he works for the Roman so he's technically on the team).

Isn’t Zsasz in like literally one second of the movie?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

There was that one comic in the 90s that introduced the 5 symbiotes that were ‘Carnage’s children’

Was that separation anxiety, or were they introduced before then? I mostly remember that arc for its godawful beat-em-up adaptation that was “the Maximum Carnage game but worse”.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SonicRulez posted:

Jeez. I'm starting to wonder if they're gonna release a tweet of me being in this 24 hour long film.

Seriously worried I’ll get too drunk and accidentally end up in Justice League without realizing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

site posted:

Assuming viewers paid for just the one month to watch jl, how many new hbo subscriptions does wb need to break even on a $70mil project

At 15 bucks a sub, 4.6 (repeating) million. Assuming they directly register with HBO and aren’t like me with it attached to a Hulu account costing them a cut.