Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

gently caress cancer, jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I am curious about the whole 'he refused to meet with the third party investigator" thing. There is obviously something WB isn't saying about that statement and I'd like to know what because it's clearly them trying to make him look bad but I'd like to know what the actual story behind it is.

It isn't exactly a hard talking point to manufacture.

"Let's meet in a crowded restaurant, no masks."
"No."
"HE REFUSED TO MEET WITH US!"

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I don't know if this has been posted before, but it's now official:

https://twitter.com/WDWNT/status/1315750465318027264

:rip: movie theatres

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

WB has handled their DC license with such wild incompetence that honestly I hope Snyder takes them for all they're worth. If WB executives didn't want to go bankrupt, they shouldn't have rushed Justice League out the door just to preserve their loving bonuses. If we get an actually-good Justice League out of it, bonus!

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

TwoPair posted:

"Hey hey hey it's time to make some CRAZY movies, are ya ready?"
-WB/DC producers

NO NO NO NO NO

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Yes you loving do.

I knew this'd happen.

Yeah, I'd love to be optimistic here but I just can't manage it, Disney just isn't the company to be making Blade movies.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Look, vampires just have neon blue blood for some reason, everyone knows this!

Hey, it works in Japan apparently!

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Edit:^^ Apparently my take is not particularly uncommon!

Saw it, way better then the theatrical cut but you could cut an hour off the runtime and have a basically superior film, because you need one less bathroom break to get through it.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

site posted:

gonna have my second shot in april and still not planning on seeing it in theater

:same:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Im convinced, Snyder is good

Yeah, I'm still kind of mixed on him a filmmaker, but as a dude he undisputably rocks.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Saw Carnage, and as someone who didn’t see the first one, are you SUPPOSED to love Venom and just loathe the pathetic sadsack he’s attached to? Seriously, every time that Eddie interacts with the plot in the first two acts, it’s because someone else forced him to. You could cut AT LEAST 50% of the scenes where he’s just hanging out in his apartment and lose basically nothing of value.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

While I’m not expecting it to be an out-and-out flop or anything, I should point out that Eternals already has a lower RT critic score then Thor: the Dark World, and that’s with critics that Disney hand-picked. It might just be a bad movie, guys :shrug:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

X-O posted:

No it wasn't. Scott Derrickson said his plan was for Nightmare to be the villain but that was before he was changed out for Raimi.

Whoa, Sami Raimi is gonna be the villain? How meta!

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Gavok posted:

I still have to digest it, but the movie didn't do much for me. I appreciate the effort, but yeah, I'd rather watch Thor 2 over again. It's on the bottom of the MCU list for now.

Yeah, I was trying to summarize my feelings but this kind of nailed it. Not terrible, but not really something I'd ever want to watch again. I was lukewarm on Shang-Chi (the bus scene was good!) and pretty cold on Black Widow, so I guess I'm waiting for the new Spiderman (my favorite character in the MCU, and maybe favorite cape in general?) to see if I've just gotten bored of the formula or if I just didn't like these couple films specifically.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

re: what I said above about the Deviants: thinking it through, Kro shouldn't have even been a secondary antagonist in the third act. the third act should have involved Sersi et al. recognizing their common foes, reaching out to him, and striking a truce with him to help form the Uni-Mind and stop Ikaris and the Emergence. instead, what we get basically amounts to "well, yeah, the Deviants were screwed over by the Celestials too, but they're still evil and we need to kill them anyway," which is incoherent and significantly muddles the ostensible themes of the movie

But you see, he's ugly, so

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Lobok posted:

The movie actually has full versions of Spider-Man 4 and Amazing Spider-Man 3 within.

Andrew Garfieldman battles his deadliest foe yet: the Hypno-Hustler!

Tobey McGuireman just fights Bonesaw again

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

I thought Druig's observation that Deviants being capable of evolution made them not so different the Eternals was going to go somewhere. It did not. I suppose it could in the future, but that doesn't seem like what's going on.

Easily the most frustrating thing about the movie for me, realizing that both the Eternals and Deviants had been hosed over by the Celestials and learning to work together (or at least not kill each other the way the Celestials want) was such an obvious plot beat, and yet they didn’t even bother. The Deviants don’t even have a reason to be in the story*, they should have just cut them and had the first half be a ‘who killed Ajax’ murder mystery.

*Yes, I’m aware their actual role was ‘CGI monster to fight because we’re afraid to do superhero movies without a bunch of dumb action scenes’ but they could have been used to actually reinforce the movie’s themes instead of just cannon fodder.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I mean, even if you aren't in a place with lockdowns, you should probably think long and hard about whether you want to go to a sure-to-be-packed movie premier when there is a new strain out there that is more infectious then Delta and may be vaccine-resistant. Like, would you be comfortable seeing this in theaters if it had a 1% chance of being the direct cause of your death? How about 2%? 5%, 10%?

At absolute minimum go in there with a respirator and goggles.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 2, 2021

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Jamesman posted:

The Riddler's origin story in this movie is he was inspired by Batman Forever and the movie shows him watching the entire thing.

They take inspiration from Spiderman and have the Riddler build a dimensional portal, forcing Robert Pattinson to team up with Val Kilmer to defeat Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones.

edit: I basically want every superhero movie from now on to be forced to do this, especially if they don't want to.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Mameluke posted:

one day, we will have a live-action Batman Who Laughs as well

It’s a premise so laser-targeted at making money that the only reason I think we might NOT get one is that any WB executive who survived hearing the phrase “Batman VS Edgy Evil Batman…” would probably die instantly of a heart attack and/or priapism upon hearing the words “… except Edgy Evil Batman is also The Joker, somehow.”

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Opopanax posted:

I swear if Joker shows up in The Batman, even as a Begins style tease, I will be so mad

He's literally DC's most popular and profitable character. Like, I absolutely get what you're saying, but... prepare yourself for disappointment.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I'd pay so much money to see people's reactions if at the end they reveal the Joker, but it's the Cesar Romero Joker and he's just alliterating like crazy while holding a cartoon bomb.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 15, 2022

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

So I heard one interesting thing about The Batman, spoiling, just in case anyone wants to be completely free, thought it's really minor.

It's Bruce's 2nd year as Batman, meaning that we don't get a Wayne's Murdered/Pearls Fall origin scene. Assuming I understood the review I watched correctly. If that's accurate, that's one star from me right there.

I feel like that's an extremely bold assumption.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I liked it, although it was definitely too long. The villain was definitely supposed to be Hush at some point, right? The mask, the petty obsession with Bruce Wayne as his only real motivation, the closeup on the word HUSH... I guess they just decided at some early point to change the villain to someone people actually know and care about.

My final score: 1/2. No pearl drop scene, but a Joker teaser. Not great, not terrible.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Lobok posted:

I didn't really think anything of it. New York is getting one and climate change might require many more!

I feel like 'might' is an unnecessary qualifier there, the only way they don't need more is if they straight-up abandon the city like what's going to happen with Miami and maybe New Orleans.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

iceyman posted:

Seems pretty ripe for your classic and modern day anti-LGBT bullshit. I think the bigger question is, is Disney brave enough to lean into it? I fear that answer is no.

Disney was already making sure any LGBTQ+ content could be edited out before the current wave of revolting anti-gay cultural revanchism, so I'd put the chance of that happening now at exactly 0%.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Happitoo posted:

That being said, I don't think current WB/DC leadership is capable of that. But it doesn't mean someone who is competent coudn't be.

Yes, this is the actual stumbling block. The real reason they need a Feige-like figure is to have someone who can tell WB execs "Joker 2: We Live In A Society is a loving mess right now, we aren't going to release it as-is and I don't give a gently caress that it means you lose out on a bonus."

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

MoM was pretty good overall.

Dr. Strange remains a boring character with a cool powerset, and Wanda got done dirty. Not much I can say here that hasn't already been said.

The Illuminati saying "We can deal with [actual threat], we're worried about YOU" and then immediately getting clowned on by said actual threat was painfully stupid, but it's the exact kind of dumb thing that would happen in the comics (including all the alt-universe guys getting massacred unceremoniously), so I guess I can chalk that one up to verisimilitude.

Excited that Dr. Strange mentioned that the Fantastic Four were big in the 60's, chances of period piece rising, but hopefully they don't bring back Krasinski.

Raimi brought some great cross-genre horror touches to this, I really hope we get more Marvel movies like this in the future, and less strictly-formulaic stuff like Black Widow. Please?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Kraven destroying poachers works for me, especially if they want to make him a hero.

Okay, but that’s like… a completely different character. Why even have him be Kraven at that point?

FlamingLiberal posted:

This sounds like a terrible idea, but that didn't stop Sony from making Morbius, so...

But surely this time they’ve learned their lesson, right?

Oh right, these are the Humblebragging Spider-Man Does Tough Mudder people. Never mind :)

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 21, 2022

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Sony can't make up new Marvel characters, and without the Spider-Man connection even fewer people would see it.

Is that actually true, though? How many people saw Morbius because they were like “oh yeah, that guy is a b-list Spider-Man villain, I definitely want to see a movie starring him!”

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

I am willing to put a lot of money (less than Sony though) that it's more than would have if he wasn't.

I mean, on the one hand I can definitely see what you’re saying, on the other just based on the only group of people who liked the movie (ladies horny for Jared Leto) I think a generic vampire film starring JL would have done better and Sony just has terminal franchise-brain like most studios these days.

In any case, Sony is clearly not dissuaded from their absurd strategy, so I’m booking my tickets now for summer 2028’s biggest blockbuster, Turner D. Century: A Marvel Character In The Strictest Technical SenseTM

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 21, 2022

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Saw it, liked it. Very disjointed, but they stuck the landing so hard that it ends up not mattering so much.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Adam Scott has now joined the cast for Sony's Madame Web movie. No information on who he is playing which seems to be a running theme with this movie.

My brain read that as ‘Scott Adams,’ that was a fun fifteen seconds. Also completely in character for Sony, trying as hard as they can to gently caress up their own films.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

WB just announced they are cancelling the Scooby Doo sequel they already finished, spent $40 million on, and sending it to the vault with Batgirl too.

Sounds like someone just woke up and decided to cancel all their already completed projects.

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/scoob-sequel-warner-bros-discovery-shelved-hbo-max/

Literally just throwing money away, for no benefit. Can't even justify it by saying it'll dilute another brand. Amazing.

Orc Priest posted:

wth happened with MCU Phase 4? Last month I started getting into the MCU and it was great... until Phase 4. Loki and Dr Strange Multiverse were amazing, but everything else ranged from mediocre to doggy dogshit.

A bunch of Marvel's big tentpole actors wanted to retire after Phase 3, so they planned to spend some time introducing some new characters. Then COVID hit, loving up basically every aspect of the film industry. I've liked the last three I saw (Spiderman, MoM, Thor) so I personally feel like they've worked out the kinks, but I wouldn't blame anyone for disagreeing. I'm still baffled by Black Widow to this day.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 3, 2022

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

X-O posted:

It's hard for me to believe Batgirl was pulled because of quality. I've seen some of the other DC movies like Wonder Woman 2 and Suicide Squad.

When it was just Batgirl I thought it was the Cartmanland school of advertising ("The movie so bad, you aren't allowed to see it!"), but yeah, basically Discovery wildly overreached buying Warner and now can't really afford to do anything with the properties they just bought, and the same big brain who made that decision is now just throwing money down the drain for reasons unknown but almost certainly unrelated to the actual film's quality.

It's cool that so many beloved media franchises are now in the hands of such an idiot, after the various Justice League debacles I really thought they'd hit the bottom of the barrel in terms of management competence. Very exciting they found someone even stupider!

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm not jumping to that conclusion first.

In Hollywood it’s almost always the correct conclusion.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Timby posted:

In my mind, I picture them as the people on the rooftops in Independence Day, begging the aliens to take them away like it's the loving Rapture right before the aliens blow them to smithereens.

This comparison is really unfair to those people, there's a chance those aliens might have been good.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Super Dan posted:

It's going to take ten years for DC to work their way out of debt and get their poo poo together enough to get a decent shared universe going. And then Superman will become public domain and join the MCU anyway.

Nothing will ever become public domain again, Disney has basically made that their #1 priority.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Doom Patrol is definitely one of, it not the best, cape show

I guess my faith in our judicial system is totally shot because I can easily see a judge deciding that it doesn't fall under that protection and makes up reason why.

Yeah, lawyers I know seem to have the same outlook of "The law doesn't really mean anything anymore, without a functioning and unbiased Supreme Court* judges can just make whatever ruling they want with no consequences."

*personal note: lol, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

The Villian of Black Widow is literally Harvey Weinstien.

Yeah, it's not even remotely subtle.