Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

poo poo, and as a friend noted: he played Jackie Robinson in "42" and today was the (postponed) Jackie Robinson Day in MLB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Homecoming really nailed the aspect of social outcast that worked best for that version of Peter: he's poor, incredibly gifted, but doesn't have the social capital or means or indicators of wealth that Flash does so he's open to mockery in the pecking order.

This is absolutely why I loved this iteration far more than the first two tries, I feel like it had more nuance and way more relatability. Peter isn't getting literally shoved into a locker because everyone at school thinks he's a loser, he's in Academic Decathlon and has a group of people he'd call friends but when he's at the party Flash still calls him out and we get the Penis Parker scene and Holland sells the kind of quiet dejection that a nerd who in the modern age would feel.

I remember nothing about Garfield besides him being a borderline creepy stalker, and Maguire just makes me think of Don Knotts as mugging for the camera looking like a well meaning doofus.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Sumo posted:

William Jackson Harper or Bill Hader for Reed

Real question is who plays Willie Lumpkin

Uh, I think you got your wires crossed when writing this post.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Oh I think the movie's mostly garbage but I'm talking about general reception. It didn't flop or get savaged by critics or anything. Like who cares what a handful of internet grumpos like us think about it.

AoU I think suffers largely from a hindsight problem. I definitely enjoyed it when I saw it in the theaters, but over time the sheen absolutely wore off as you came to realize just how non great it was. A really good test is to ask yourself the question: do you even get the urge to rewatch it? Like I've seen Ant Man multiple times because that's just a fun/chill rewatch and it's a good plane movie too. But thinking about sitting down for 2+ hours and rewatching Ultron makes me utterly disinterested.

That said I have rewatched the Vision intro scene many times because that part absolutely does rule.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Everything up to and including the Cheetah battle end via electrocution made a fun enough comic book movie, and any negative criticism of anything before that I hand wave away because I was enjoying watching the Diana and Steve adventures. 

But good looooooord, the last 10 minutes between that and the winter epilogue is some of the most I have hated a movie ending in a good long while.  I don't even give a poo poo about all the hand waving unwishing mechanics, I almost don't really care about why he gives up because sure that's the point of his son and his arc.  I care about the absolute piss poor execution of Diana just talking to the camera for 5 minutes like she's talking directly to the audience, a constant swelling of emotional heartstrings tugging music, and then what felt like 5 minutes of DAD ALASTAIR DAD ALASTAIR DAD before the entire thing is over.  I was sitting with my wife on the couch and I legitimately yelled "JUST GET ON WITH IT ALREADY".  Ultimately it's a big who cares, but it really disappointed me because I was enjoying my B-grade roller coaster of a comic book film and then it dropped off a cliff.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Stupid question about WW1984 I don't think warrants spoiling: did they ever actually use the name 'Cheetah' in the movie? Duh you see the shoes early on, then the punk clothes, then "I want to be an Apex predator", then the final fight, it's the loving Cheetah but they don't ever out and out call her the name do they?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

"Boy, I'm just so tired of all these Wonder Women"

Does make me remember a podcast riffing on BvS that rightly pointed out the entire stupidity of Lex Luthor having a set of files about these heroes with logos/emblems for their names which he would have no way of knowing and in some cases they wouldn't even HAVE established names. "WW . . . well clearly she's a woman so she's Woman Woman".

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Lunatic Sledge posted:

hear me out:

movie DLC

If YOU want to see Superman race to the interplanetary battle . . . PRESS OOOONE.

If you want to see CLARK KENT first recheck his story for the Daily Planet . . . PRESS TWOOOO.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I was about to post that I'll be thankful when it's March and we can talk talking about the Synder Cut forever. But all I can think now is

"We've got to do the Synder Cut discussion again, BSS!"
"But we already did it. It took four years, but we did it. It's done."
"Yes, but we've got to do it again from different angles! Again and again. And again and again and again!"

(Note this is on the Synder cut in general, not Ray Fisher's absolutely legitimate complaints about the bullshit he's had to endure)

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Reading

Arist posted:

e: No one here has the power to change these movies.
when we're talking about the Synder cut-- a thing that literally exists because loudmouth internet assholes wouldn't shut their mouths for years straight--made me feel like the Curb your Enthusiasm music came on in the background.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Even if the discourse is worse than it is now, I'll take that "informed" discussion over people just making things up about a product that doesn't (up til now) exist.

MH Knights posted:

What? I have a felling the Snyder cut will be fueling internet shouting matches for years to come.

To your point, I guarantee that we'll see the goalpost instantly moved to "WELL if it wasn't a pandemic then they'd have give more money and gotten the actors together and actually shot new scenes" and that'll be the hallmark. It got CLOSE to Synder's vision, but without that it won't ever be what he ACTUALLY intended.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

First part is we've had to deal with Synder cut fanatics for multiple years now when that cut literally didn't exist. I would rather listen to people complain about a tangible thing than some hypothetical product they've never seen with their own eyes.

Second part I probably phrased badly, but it's what I expect die-hard Synder fans to keep saying. Even though they'll be getting what they "want", they'll still find excuses for why it's not the perfect ideal movie and how the blame rests with the studio and not Synder himself.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Cd is not the hivemind u think it is

*leans back in chair and tents fingers* so you admit that it IS a hive mind, just not the one we think it is. Interesting. Very interesting. No I will not accept other interpretations of your post.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I would rather watch Age of Extinction 10 times over end to end than see a minute of Revenge of the Fallen when Skids and Mudflap are on screen. Also come on, Stanley Tucci slamming a blackboard as he literally yells "ALGORITHSM! MATH!"? Perfection.

Release the Tucci cut of Age of Extinction where it's just his scenes. THAT's a perfect movie.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

The Dark Knight ($533.3 million)
The Dark Knight Rises ($448.1 million)
Wonder Woman ($412.6 million)
Joker ($335.4 million)
Aquaman ($335.1 million)
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice ($330.4 million)
Suicide Squad ($325.1 million)
Man of Steel ($291 million)
Justice League ($229 million)
Shazam ($140 million)

Obv Dark Knights and Joker aren't DCEU, but I copied most of the above from somewhere so leaving it in. It still is pretty impressive how much better it did than the movies that in theory (and executives' minds) should have been the clearer winners.

Edit: I apologize for international box-office erasure, and thanks to those below for that insight

Cael fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 28, 2021

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Roth posted:

Make BSS Great Again

Gotta get everyone back in the puppet avatars.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Even with the pandemic, it seems nuts that we're (supposedly) just under 6 months away from Shang-Chi and not only is there not a trailer yet but I feel like we haven't even seen any kind of set photos. Has there been anything whatsoever released to actually build hype for it?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Kirby intended that the New Gods inhabited a place where everything was bigger, and one of the effects of Boom Tube was to shrink or grown people crossing through them.

Makes me think of Wonderworld in Morrison’s JLA.

drat now I want to go reread the entirety of his run.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I stupidly went "OH gently caress" when I saw Starro on the screen. Can't wait.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Silver Surfer still has too much color, ergo the only solution is to adapt Silver Surfer: Black.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/wbpictures/status/1384177602118651908?s=20
I don't care that this is supposedly Day 1 of shooting, I still don't believe this is actually coming to theaters.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Oh I'm not falling for this trap, you must think I'm an idiot!

I watched 3 of these God damned movies, isn't that enough for you people?!

If you won't commit to watching all of Age of Extinction (which you should), just turn it on but fast forward whenever Stanley Tucci isn't on screen. You'll have maybe 15 minutes of absolute premium content there.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

If you asked James Gunn the question “as a young new director, should I go do a Troma type film” I have zero doubt he’d let you know what you’d be in for (freedom, price, etc) but he’d end with “but absolutely go for it, you have to start somewhere”. You can still respect and appreciate your roots without wanting to personally revisit it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Ror posted:

Kaecillius gets a few decent deadpan jokes

The "Mister Doctor" exchange redeems any other bad scene he's in, hands down

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

A combination of pandemic plus Disney+ shows has kind of thrown the usual cadence off. But just running some quick numbers:

Eternals: 5/24 Trailer, 11/4 Release
Shang Chi: 4/19 Trailer, 9/3 Release
Spider-Man: 12/17 Release

So yeah, we still have maybe a month or so before we'll probably get it. If not attached to Black Widow, they'll probably wait 1-2 weeks and do it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

site posted:

i mean, it would pretty funny if instead of there being 1 major Kang that everyone encounters, it's like a dozen different kangs with different personalities

Each movie/show gets a new Kang ala Harrison Wells on The Flash.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

While it does look exciting and of course I'm going to see it, I'm a little bored of 2 of the movies now being "Peter's Big gently caress Ups". Yeah yeah he's a stupid high school kid, but in one he just hands over a doomsday device to a villain and now he's contributing to just breaking existence.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

geez . . . those are like early 00s DVD box art

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Since we're all talking up Venom 2, I wanted to add that Anne's fiancé Dan was a perfect subversion of the usual tropes you'd see in lesser action / superhero movies. He wasn't written as either an rear end in a top hat who hated Eddie or as a saccharine doofus, he helped move the plot forward when needed, and in the end he also risks his life to help Anne. All that thankfully allowed no real hint of WILL EDDIE GET ANNE BACK no of course not, she doesn't hate him but she's an adult who moved on and found another guy and Dan rules.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Ah so Mephisto is the villain of Hawkeye whoops spoilers sorry sorry I’m trying to delete it

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I completely forgot that Watts was attached to the FF movie

As someone who follows movie news and especially comic movie stuff to a high degree, same. I wasn’t aware Marvel ever did anything beyond “here’s the ‘4’ logo IT’S HAPPENING”

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I know he can pull off comedy, but I want a more casual fun loving Herc. Wardlow is too mean and violence driven and delights in the fighting and . . .

. . . ok, so :wardlow: for Ares then?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I'd like Less-bius

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

They could still choose to dump it onto HBO Max. Like I know what they’ve said before now, but if Miller keeps doing this poo poo (which I hope doesn’t happen and they get the help and support they need), they may just say gently caress the theater release costs.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Plus if you let the villain live it’s then a coin flip of if you get “sequel where villain comes back more powerful and with allies” or “villain comes back but this time WHOOPS you have to team up against a GREATER threat”. And each of those options has its own coin flip of good v bad.

Coming up with new poo poo even if it’s bad is at least an attempt at something unique.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Does anyone else feel like them using Eternity was one of those “ok we got this out of the way so that it’s not a concept we need to do later on”? I still loves the movie overall and it still worked, just seems like such a weird use of Eternity

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Lobok posted:

Going to the drive-in several times over the pandemic taught me that a lot of drivers really don't understand how their headlights work.

Guaranteed this is largely a consequence of modern cars all just having an “auto” option that will dynamically change the lighting and so most people never even touch the headlight controls after buying a car.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

While you’re not wrong on any count, it still just seems par for the course. Amazon burning money on LOTR, Netflix giving us THE GRAY MAN CINEMATIC UNIVERSE, just all streaming places scrambling for relevance.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Hugh Jackman’s Huge Actin’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Joe Fisto posted:

Excuse me I am young and hip. I know what a glizzy is.

Sounds sus