Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

He gave T'challa great dignity and humanity and I was really looking forward to seeing him become a mainstream lead actor. 2020 sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

They should make the next movie a Shuri centered movie and recast T'challa as the lead for a third movie.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I remember how utterly flat the theater felt after the Zod's death. It was Murder by Cop in a superhero movie and it felt like a betrayal of a character who is historically limitless. The movie even featured a characterization version of a Chekhov's gun in that Kal didn't have a programmed birth. He wasn't designed for any role and therefor should have freedom to be and do anything. Instead he is successfully forced into a choice by the villain.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I enjoyed L&T the longer it went on. The start was wacky overload but when the story got more serious it got good.

I was genuinely touched by the end hospital scene where Thor calls Mjolnir "that dammed hammer" after spending the movie pinning for it.

I am going thru chemo and at one point my wife asked me if the movie was striking too close to home.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm near the end of treatment and it looks like the cancer is gone or nearly gone.

Regarding Jane's storyline, in the comics didn't Mjolnir interfere with her treatment?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The really dumbed down version is:

- Streaming is not a reliable way to make money, especially when your shows/movies are hugely expensive.
- After the merger, the new WB/Discovery was heavily leveraged.
- Many theater chains, production companies, actors, and other talent were very mad about WB's public commitment to same day streaming and theater releases.
- The new management is cutting down expensive movies/TV shows that were going to go directly to streaming.
- The new vision for HBOMax is to pair it with Discovery+ and use it to host back catalogue stuff after they go out of theaters.
- They want to focus on turning IP they own into major movies that release in theaters to get the maximum profit from it because it is safe and they want to cut at least $3 billion in costs following the merger. Gambling on streaming or scripted TV is not a safe way to do it.

Their public media call is tomorrow and they will probably clarify/elaborate further.

It's around 25% of the cost + depreciation. They are going to take a bath on anything they vault, but their belief is that it wouldn't have made 25% of its budget back in new HBOMax subscriptions anyway.

It's funny that the smartest guys in the business are investing heavily into streaming, to the point of creating new tech (the Volume) for Star Wars stuff and producing 35 hours of streaming only material for Marvel.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

The way I’m interpreting it they actually do want to do that. They want more Marvel and Star Wars type streaming originals. Big IPs with a guaranteed audience. They want less original random stuff that could be hit or miss.

At least that’s how it reads to me.

Original random stuff is most of what Marvel is creating for streaming.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

The stated reasons so far have been tax break, they wanted the movie to be a theater releases and couldn't make it work, and it was poo poo.

On top of that the new owners have been canceling and cutting tons of other content. They gutted TBS and TNT.

This story is about vulture capitalists. This is how that process works. They come in and begin strip mining a company for easy money, cut costs and downsize, sell off bits they can make a buck, load the company with massive debt, then finally file bankruptcy.

All the while not caring to understand the business they are destroying.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

The MCU broke so many brains. Everyone is trying to copy the success but going about it the wrong way or wanting it to be instantly as popular.

If anyone else had been in charge of the MCU the moment Endgame was done they would be screaming for the next Avengers movie with as close to the same lineup as they could get. Instead we got a lot of experimental movies & TV shows with relatively unknown characters.

Loki, WandaVision and Moon Knight have some really weird concepts in their center and it takes knowing the source material and trusting it to take the risk of producing them.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Bruceski posted:

What's Doom's current status in the comics these days, horribly mutilated under that mask or a tiny scar that his pride can't tolerate?

Kirby knew best. (avatar / post combo)

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Yup. Ben needs to start out hating his life as the Thing. As he becomes used to being a hero he begins to enjoy himself. Ben's misery makes Reed's guilt trip worse.

My fan cast for Reed was always a young David Strathairn. Sue should be as close to Grace Kelly as you can get, just sophisticated, smart and full of don't you drat underestimate me. Johnny needs to be sixteen and very irresponsible.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

But he's not who he was. The original design was much more like someone who was badly scarred.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

I hope Isaac Perlmutter is angrily rolling in a grave right now.

He's not dead yet. Your post made me look it up which lead to reading about the bankruptcy fight. I remember a quote from Carl Icahn after he was outmaneuvered and lost out on Marvel. He wondered what the fuss was about because as far as he could tell Marvel didn't have anything of value. WHAT DO YOU THINK NOW CARL?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The thing about the early MCU that gets forgotten a lot these days is that there wasn't really much of a plan, and things didn't go all that well initially; out of Phase 1, only Iron Man and Avengers were spectacularly successful, and Captain America and Incredible Hulk struggled to break even. But one of the things that Marvel did absolutely right, that DC kept loving up over and over again, is that Marvel built some cushion into their budgets to allow for a certain number of soft "failures" that would let them stay extremely successful as long as they could hit it big every once in a while with an Iron Man or Avengers.

Like, compare 2011's Thor to Black Adam: Thor was also a not particularly well received off-summer blockbuster that failed to crack $450 million. But Thor cost $150 million to make, and was a quiet success, while Black Adam cost $200 million to make, and wasn't. Thor didn't do amazingly well, but it did well enough that no one felt like they were about to be fired if they didn't announce a sudden panicky course correction to shore up future projects.

With DC, it feels like they keep padding out their budgets to the point where every movie has to be a massive success or suddenly everyone is fired and we're starting all over with new actors. It's an insane way to run a business.

Marvel seems really tolerant of movies & TV shows that just do well as long as they establish or advance the storyline. Instead of panicking that not every movie is hitting the highs of Infinity War and Endgame they are very patiently making interesting stuff and waiting on story lines and characters to build.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Madkal posted:

Just a reminder that the best DC movie are the Michael Keaton Batman movies so it can be done.

Also, this from a couple pages back but Cavill as Reed Richards is a really good match.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Man, that would have been a better movie.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

At this point the Joker is Batman's pet serial killer. It's completely the fault of the writers piling grimdark on grimdark.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I'm surprised that "Joker killed my husband/wife/brother/sister/son/daughter therefor I'm going to hunt him down and kill him" stories aren't a regular thing in the DCU. Carrying a gun and being willing to shoot someone on sight if they even look like the Joker would seem a perfectly reasonable and potentially life saving move if you lived in Gotham.

E: this isn't a problem if the Joker is a potential threat to kill rather than an unstoppable killer. The Joker is a Jaws movie where rather than being hidden 90% of the time the shark is floating down the street snacking on an endless buffet of frightened and paralyzed victims.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 2, 2023

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I liked the movie.

I'm glad they didn't kill off the characters of the actors who weren't returning. Everyone gets an ending they're at peace with. Mantis messing with people was fun. The giggles she got out of "You are now madly in love with Drax" were great and the fact that she had done it before made it better. I halfway thought Gamora would stay with the Guardians but then the Guardians made that irrelevant anyways.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Arist posted:

God, I'm just thinking now about how good Chukwudi Iwuji is in this thing. The High Evolutionary is such a piece of poo poo.

I kinda hope parts of counter earth survived. It was a neat and very odd visual. HE rather casually destroyed what we could assume was close to six billion almost humans along with everything else on that planet. The movie kinda flips past that point in the "save everybody" ending.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Other than the two guys in somebody's garage, did Gunn say anything about it?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

For those who have seen it, is it appropriate for a seven year old?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Batman '89 was awesome at the time. Returns was better but that was to be expected.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Jamesman posted:

It honestly felt like such a natural thing, to have the third movie include Kraven.

Peter's outed and people think Spider-Man is a dangerous murderer. Enter a guy who loves to hunt dangerous beasts, and sees Peter as a new challenge. Maybe he's even hired by JJJ to catch Spider-Man (also throw Scorpion in there). But instead, they did a weird reboot with lots of fan-service that, while fun, was filled with huge plot holes if you think about it for more than a second.

I'm glad to know that I'm not crazy and that there were people who were probably considering this, but Sony gotta Sony, I guess.

You're not the only one to think this. It seemed like an absolutely natural way to introduce one of Spidey's main villains. Kraven's motivation is unique as well. It would fill out the "Villains can't know my secret identity or they will hurt the people I love" thread as well.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Question for those who have seen Marvels, is it kid safe? I have a seven year old boy that I was thinking of taking.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

She Hulk was great as were Moon Knight, Ms Marvel, Hawkeye, Loki and parts of Wandavison

SI was awful but I wonder what the scripts that were tossed away were. There was so much potential in the idea of mixing superspys with an invasion of aliens that could change their look at a glance. Instead we got a warmed over NCIS script featuring aliens that never changed their looks.

Soonmot posted:

There's a silly to us scene towards the end that may be a little scary if your seven year old is a little bitch!

But seriously, there's a chase/monster sequence that will have the whole theater laughing, but might be a bit scary. I'm sure hearing everyone else laughing along with the song that plays will make it fine, but little kids are weird and the headsup will help. I'd let him watch.

\\/\/\/ that's what I thought, looks human but 300 years old

He would insist that he was OK with it. He's been playing the LEGO Jurassic Park games and insisted he could deal with the scarier scenes. I skipped past Dennis Nedry's death and he was complaining "Dad, I know Nedry gets killed by the Dilophosaurus." I explained to him that there was a difference between knowing that a character dies and seeing them realistically torn apart while screaming. I know kids can deal with more than adults think they can. As the same point I don't want to take a casual attitude toward a potentially scarring moment.

He will probably see the movie on Disney plus after his mom and I have seen it.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

He's already a weird and cool kid.He wants to make a detective agency with his aunt (another aunt is the main suspect) and he's been putting together quizzes for me that feature animal facts. At five his favorite continent was Antarctica. He writes stories and has me staple the pages together.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

He'll see some stuff that I watch and occasionally get obsessed. Loves the plant lady on Animalogic, Mark Rober, Lateral with Tom Scott, watching a dude play Path of Titans on a realism server and the sillier stuff on Bo Time gaming.

It's going to be interesting watching him grow up.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

90sgamer posted:

Marvel movies are made for kids dude

I agree. The whole discussion started when I told my wife I wanted to take him to the movie and she commented about the violence in Marvel movies. Then she went back to her TV crime shows. Y'know, where every episode ends with a cop screaming "PUT DOWN THE GUN" as a terrorist serial killer is holding a gun to a crying child.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TGg0_xtLoA

It's quick and dirty but worth an lol.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

My private take (which someone else may have come up with too) is that Gotham and Metropolis should be the same city. Gotham is the older part and more or less perfectly safe during the day. But at night it's when the monsters come out.

Metropolis is the newer part with the skyscrapers. That's when the big hitters come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

The closer Superman is to his classic look the better the uniform is. No trunks are just off no matter how long they are that way in the book.