Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, the genie's out of the bottle here: after 6 months of this, it's utterly undeniable that for a huge swathe of the population, there's absolutely no need for them to be in the office every day and that can't be wished away again.

The Tories and their mates in the press can demand that we all get back to 'normal' as much as they want but businesses will make the decisions that are best for them: crucially, managers aren't scared of having staff work from home any more and can see how their companies can save money by allowing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
"The reason most service industries are organised in offices must be because that has been the most efficient way of working."

Must is doing a lot of heavy lifting for Rentoul there...

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I keep thinking how hard it is to get involved in anything when you can't really meet up. I'd meant to get more involved in stuff this year, then Covid happened and it's all been a bit poo poo.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Junior G-man posted:

I genuinely cannot believe this is actually true, but the UKMT's very own Podcasting is Praxis Pod has actually been around for a full calendar year! We even managed to put out a pod on average nearly every week. What the hell?

Congratulations! I've listened to most of your episodes while doing my weekly household cleaning and my bathroom has become much more Marxistly clean as a result. I'd like to get involved myself, if I wasn't so fumblingly inarticulate when put on the spot in a live situation.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

kingturnip posted:

Her main problem was belonging to a party led by a the living embodiment of a wet fart who wouldn't dream of saying "Oh gently caress off you disingenuous cunts" at a bunch of disingenuous oval office 'journalists'

RLB was decent enough but always too wet to grab control of the party. She lacked the drive to do the necessary stuff to ensure her victory.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Comrade Fakename posted:

What should she have done?

She wasn't tough enough and wouldn't have been able to carry the party with her. RLB as leader would have meant 4 years of interviewers bellowing accusations at her, with her apologising for stuff while looking super-nervous and uncomfortable. I'm sure her principles are decent enough but you need someone with fire in their belly to stand up and fight for them.

Look at how she dutifully grovelled around during the leadership election, agreeing that Labour was super anti-semitic and how sorry she was for that, then subsequently getting monstered for it anyway. Her as leader would have played out scenes like that on a daily basis.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

radmonger posted:

When John Simm went back in time to the 70s, he invented chicken in a basket.

In Crusader King’s Iii, one of the High level ‘scholar’ lifestyle perks you can earn with a few decades of focus is called ‘washing your hands’.

What I am saying is the bar is not particularly high.

People in the middle ages washed their hands all the time :colbert:

quote:

Contrary to the popular belief that people in the Middle Ages were disgustingly smelly and dirty, medieval people frequently washed their hands, usually on rising and before and after meals. This was not just a case of good manners; they were well aware of the link between dirt and illness. Consequently, the 14th-century surgeon John of Arderne required prospective apprentices to have “clene handes and wele shapen nailes…clensed fro all blaknes and filthe”. Hand-washing mattered because it was seen to remove both external dirt and harmful bodily excretions.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Pesky Splinter posted:

Oh. Who ever could have seen this coming. :geno:

What with Covid, we've kinda lost sight of the fact that we're careering towards a likely no-deal Brexit in a few short months. I should be worried but we've been hit with so much ridiculous nonsense this year that I'm pretty 'meh' at this point. I should review and start building up my emergency no-deal food and essentials stash again, I guess.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Surprised no-one has brought up Buckfast. Everything you've heard about it is true.

Mmm: alcohol, caffeine and sugar, all conveniently combined in a single bottle. I believe European traders devastated the Native Americans with a very similar brew.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I wish I could read a history of this period written 50-100 years in the future. Seeing the decay and disintegration of our state institutions described with a bit of historical perspective would be really helpful right now.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Christ, this new Covid spin is such transparent bullshit. They're literally going to blame irresponsible young people for causing a 2nd wave, while in the next breath urging everyone to get back to work on public transport and pile into the bars and restaurants to boost the economy.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Oh dear me posted:

Oh, I assumed twisto's apparent zeal for button-pushing was a London thing. Here in Cornwall I feel selfish pushing the button, when I could just wait a little longer for a proper gap and not stop traffic for so long.

Do the drivers ever feel bad that they're holding you up from crossing the road and voluntarily stop to let you through? No? Well don't worry about them, then 🙂

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The GBS thread is for discussing full English breakfasts and Jaffa cakes.

This thread is the same, except sometimes it gets spoiled with politics.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
A comfy sofa is your best friend and I regularly pass out on mine.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Darth Walrus posted:

An interesting long read for the thread to chew through:

https://twitter.com/jemgilbert/status/1304046944826908672?s=21

That was a good article.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
All this commuter chat's giving me anxiety :(

My current workplace is 4 feet from my bed and I've come to prefer it that way.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

His Divine Shadow posted:

Man my commute isn't bad compared to some of these, 25km one way on a straight, paved rural road, takes me 20 minutes on a good day. Main traffic dangers are moose and deer. I saw a fox a few weeks ago too, and some curious fawn.

I saw a fox on the way to the gym this morning (I was going, not the fox). It reacted to me with such a lack of concern that I nervously looked back a couple of times to make sure it wasn't following me to bite my legs.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

gh0stpinballa posted:

enjoying the guardian's ongoing fictional narrative where the tories are forever on the verge of imploding over brexit, and boris is forever about to shock us all and discover his inner social progressive, and unnamed senior tories are always about to step in any day now and restore common sense politics to the party. this serial has been running for 4 years now, keeping us all on the edge of our seats.

It annoys the hell out of me. Johnson's got a majority of 80, he can do what the hell he wants and there's no way the centrist milquetoasts that've taken over the Labour Party are going to mount any sort of robust opposition. Stop with the drat fanfiction that the 'grown-ups' just might be poised to step in and take back control.

And don't get me started on Comment is Free. All those columnists that spent 5 years making GBS threads all over left-wing Labour now clutching their pearls and weeping crocodile tears over the iniquities of the Tories who they helped to install. Yeah, I'm mad.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

ThomasPaine posted:

In other news, I don't know if this has been posted...

Given their reputation, I suspect it ultimately comes down to them being verrrry jittery about any more bad publicity:

quote:

How USC Became the Most Scandal-Plagued Campus in America
Once known as the University of Spoiled Children, USC has had a hard time growing up...

https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/usc-scandals-cover/

(Obviously, it's not worked in this case.)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I remember a quote from a Sun journalist saying something along the lines of: " We could totally write the Guardian if we chose to; there's no way that bunch could write the Sun though."

I always feel that the Guardian spends most of the time high on it's own farts, while much of the rest of the press is a lot more openly cynical.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm not supporting the right? I think it's a ridiculous decision on the part of the uni. I'm mostly just real mad at the kind of woke liberal ultras who think this is a progressive thing to get indignant about, and there would be some comfort knowing that actually it's just the right being shitlords as usual. It's a far more depressing thought that the people doing it might genuinely think they're taking a principled left wing stand, not only because it hands the reactionaries ammunition but also because it shows quite how loving useless and hollowed out by neoliberalism US radicalism has become.

I've seen people posting about this in other threads too. The more likely reason for the suspension is kinda funnier: this particular uni has been plagued by repeated waves of scandal: financial, cheating, political, racial, #MeToo etc etc to the extent that it's become a bit of a punchline in US discourse, a byword for mismanagement and bad behaviour (Google "University of Southern California scandal" to get the full impressive list).

I think the top people at the uni were so desperate to avoid any more damaging headlines that they've become massively nervous and leapt on this at the 1st hint of trouble to try and shut it down, which has inadvertently made the publicity much worse for them, making them look dumb all over again.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The Qanon thread used to dub it: "The Pizzagate Expanded Universe", which I always thought was a nice way of summing it up.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

JoylessJester posted:

I've been thinking alot recently about the effects of living in a ever declining country has on young people.

I guess us older goons (30's and upwards) grew up in an environment where it was still assumed that life was gradually going to grow easier and more prosperous in the future? So we expected to be able to own a house, have job security etc.

If you've grown up in our current society, you perhaps accept a lovely life because that expectation of better things has evaporated away?

I dunno, I'm just spitballing here.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
My current ad and script blockers stop the comments under Guardian articles from loading, which is doing wonders for my blood pressure.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Unkempt posted:

UKMT Autumn 2020 - Our Private Thinking Space

On this subject, there's an absolutely extraordinary story in the Sunday Times about how the housing market is now becoming gummed up because every single flat built since 1945 is made out of paper mache and petrol and banks are refusing to grant mortgages against them. The more they're inspected, the more awful stuff gets uncovered. I'm quoting the whole article, 'cos the whole thing's mental:

The Sunday Times posted:

The Grenfell fire is casting a pall over the whole property market. First the fallout hit 30,000 flats with the type of cladding that fuelled the inferno. Now it has exposed 186,000 private high-rise flats wrapped in other flammable materials.

Next it could leave up to 1½ million modern flats, 6% of England’s homes, unmortgageable because they cannot prove their walls are safe, breaking the first rung of the property ladder. MPs say that could hit the entire market.

The west London fire that killed 72 people in 2017 laid bare decades of regulatory failure and a culture of building fast and cheap. About 700,000 people are still in high-rise flats with dangerous cladding. Millions more face waiting up to a decade for the safety sign-off they need to sell or get a new mortgage.

Nine in 10 blocks have failed cladding checks. Flat-owners must pay for repairs under leasehold law. In one Manchester block, the bills are up to £115,000 each. “They’re trapped and they’ve got nowhere to go ... If the property chain is broken, the whole housing market could be affected,” said Clive Betts, the Labour MP who chairs the housing committee.

In the first real data on non-Grenfell cladding problems, 2,957 buildings, with an estimated 186,000 flats, have registered with a £1bn government fund to help freeholders reclad tall blocks in England, an insider said. The number of unsafe blocks is almost 75% higher than the 1,700 officials had estimated.

The housing ministry said the figure “does not reflect the number of eligible applications”, but experts expect it to be cut only to 2,200. With typical costs of £2m per block, according to the Association of Residential Managing Agents (Arma), the total needed could be £4.4bn — nearly four times the money available.

Since the government tightened safety advice in January, lenders have routinely demanded evidence that almost any modern flat is safe, even in three-storey brick buildings. England has 1½ million flats in blocks taller than three storeys (about 32ft) built after 1945. Owners could be refused a mortgage if the building lacks an “external wall system” document, or EWS1 form, to say the insulation, balconies and structure are safe.

It appears most modern flats do not comply and will be sellable only when fixed. Fire engineers who perform EWS1 checks find “utter rubbish” inside walls, said Dorian Lawrence, of Façade Remedial Consultants (FRC), which produces safety reports. Of 2,000 blocks inspected by his firm, 92% were given the worst rating of B2, meaning banks will not lend. Materials are “incorrect, cheap and absolutely non-compliant” and workmanship “appalling”, Lawrence said.

Betts added: “It’s inadequate regulations, poor culture in the building industry and a lack of accountability. And it’s partly linked to the price of land.” Land typically makes up more than 70% of a property’s price, up from 50% 20 years ago — raising pressure to build cheaply.

Leaseholder groups from London, Birmingham, Leeds and Southampton wrote to Robert Jenrick, the housing secretary, last month: “Many of us have ploughed everything we earned into buying our property — only to be told that we need to pay an extra third or half of its original value to fix mistakes that we did not make and that were not recognised by building regulations at the time of purchase.” They add: “This crisis is only getting bigger.” He did not reply until contacted by The Sunday Times on Friday.

The crisis could make people prisoners in flats they cannot sell for years. Some cannot move jobs, get married or afford to have children. They cannot retire.

Claire Kirkby, 39, an NHS nurse, and her husband, Alex, 34, a cardiac physiologist, are trapped with two children in Alex’s one-bedroom flat in Hackney, east London. In lockdown, Alex worked from the living room while Claire kept Isabelle, 2, and newborn Leo in the bedroom. “When my baby was sleeping, my toddler and I would sit in the dark,” she said.

They marketed the flat until an estate agent told them they could not sell without EWS1 approval, which the six-storey building does not have. For the same reason they cannot sell Claire’s high-rise flat in south London, which she has let since marrying. Because they did not know about the form, they lost £1,000 on childcare places in the area they had wanted to move to. “We are powerless,” she said.

Leaseholders face long delays to get the checks. Only 291 fire engineers are qualified to inspect buildings. The Peabody housing association has told some residents it could take 10 years. Three-quarters of 663 leaseholders who wanted to sell in the past year had a sale fall through or did not try because the block had no EWS1, according to a survey by the Leasehold Knowledge Partnership.

The EWS1 form was designed for blocks taller than 18 metres (59ft). Yet Kati Jagger, 33, and Dov O’Neil, 39, lost their buyer in July because their 38ft brick building did not have the form. “It’s ridiculous that this particular flat would have a fire safety risk,” said O’Neil, a company director. It has left them stuck in a two-bedroom south London flat with two boys, aged three and one, and an extra mortgage to pay on the fixer-upper they had bought, believing their flat was sold.

Last week Tom and Helen-Frances Dessain lost their £350,000 sale (and £1,500 in legal fees) in a four-storey block without an EWS1. They must pay both the north London flat’s mortgage and rent in Manchester, where they moved for Tom’s job as a teacher. “As if it wasn’t hard enough for first-time buyers, you’ve just shut down the market,” said Tom, 33.

The number of buildings whose residents have turned for help to the Manchester Cladiators, a leaseholder campaign, has doubled to 100 since May. Many are below 59ft. Lenders requested an EWS1 check on a two-storey building built in 1972 with brick and block, Lawrence, of FRC, said.

“It’s almost as if the default is: if it’s a flat, ask for an EWS1 form,” said Nigel Glen, head of the block manager body Arma. He adds that 73% of blocks taller than 59ft (six storeys) and 96% of those below that height do not have an EWS1, trapping leaseholders. In the past, lenders relied on building regulations to know a home was safe. After Grenfell, this was no longer true.

The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (Rics) created the EWS1 form in December to help unblock flat sales, which were increasingly falling through. John Baguley, a Rics director, said the form “is not the blocker”; the fact that lenders could no longer rely on building regulations. “Without the form, even fewer mortgages would be being processed.”

Where blocks under 59ft are unsafe, repairs fall outside the government fund, even though fires in Barking, east London, and Bolton have destroyed homes below this height with flammable cladding. Missing barriers meant to stop fire spreading inside cavity walls are also excluded from the fund, despite their absence being a factor in a blaze that almost completely destroyed 23 flats in a four-storey block in Worcester Park, south London, a year ago.

At Connect House, a Manchester conversion that once housed Daily Express offices, leaseholders face bills of up to £115,000 a flat — half what they sold for pre-crisis. Of the £5.2m total bill, £4.2m is to fix internal defects not covered by the fund, such as cavity barriers. “I’m a solicitor. If my building manager decides to enforce bankruptcy against me, I no longer have a living,” said Sally-Ann Dove, 35, a resident. In Birmingham, missing cavity barriers have left Vickie Pargetter, 39, David Garner, 37, and their toddler stuck in a flat with no garden. “It will probably prohibit us from trying for a sibling for Blake, as I will be too old when it is resolved,” Vickie said.

In 50 Manchester blocks analysed by the Cladiators, 52% have timber balconies, 26% compartmentation problems and 18% no fire protection for the steel frame — all outside the scope of the fund.

Scotland and Wales lack a cladding fund altogether. At Victoria Wharf in Cardiff, Alex Hough, 31, will get no government help with a £61,000 bill to replace expanded polystyrene insulation (EPS). “I face losing everything I have worked extremely hard for.”

More flammable than the Grenfell cladding, EPS is covered in render. “You could set it alight with a cigarette lighter,” said Jamie Copeland, a project manager for FRC. Seven people died when fire spread through the rendered EPS facade of a tower in Dijon, France, in 2010. Britain has allowed EPS on high-rise flats for 20 years. Albion Works, in Manchester, also has EPS and is not covered by buildings insurance for fire damage. “This is terrifying,” said Leanne Kilheeney, 31, a first-time buyer in the block.

IN NUMBERS

186,000 Number of high-rise flats registered with government relief fund
£1bn Size of government fund allocated for recladding
£5.9bn Estimated cost of recladding affected blocks

England’s fund does not cover insurance or 24-hour fire patrols, which cost one block’s leaseholders £742 a month, Arma added. Inside Housing magazine found there were 420 such “waking watches” in March and fire brigades had attended 300 fires at those buildings with patrols since Grenfell.

Tight deadlines for the £1bn fund mean only a “tiny fraction” of towers will get help to replace materials other than Grenfell’s aluminium composite material, Glen said. Work must start by March to qualify but he said there are not enough skilled workers. “This process could take five to 10 years.”

The fund, which opened in June, is aimed at helping leaseholders such as Natasha Letchford, 28. She bought 35% of her £125,000 flat in Southampton but is liable for 100% of the cost to strip flammable high-pressure laminate cladding and combustible insulation from the nine- storey block. She would lose her legal career if she went bankrupt and suffers panic attacks. “When we were putting up our Christmas tree last year, I said, ‘This will be the last Christmas we have in the flat!’, only to find out two months later that we wouldn’t be moving anywhere.”

The housing ministry said “ministers and officials are in regular contact with leaseholders” and are meeting the groups this week.

How can we end this fiasco?

• The Australian state of Victoria has a cladding crisis too, but no one has died. A regulator audited Melbourne’s tower blocks and prioritised fixing the riskiest first – unlike in Britain, where each council asks block managers for data and ministers still do not know the full scale. State loans and a new fund, backed by developer levies, pay for works up front; then the state pursues builders for compensation through the courts.

• Increase the scale and scope of England’s £1.6bn high-rise cladding funds to include dangerous mid-rise flats and structural fire defects across the UK.

• Rate buildings by risk for lending purposes, so borrowers are not trapped in flats that pose little danger.

• Scrap clauses in the draft Building Safety Bill that would force leaseholders to pay for not only historic failures but also anything that breaches future regulatory changes.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Nothingtoseehere posted:

What the media and Keir are studiously ignoring is that most of the votes labour lost in the red wall didn't go to the Tories - they either didn't vote or went to the brexit party. Tory vote share didn't raise much, labours just plummeted.

For Example, Vale of Clwyd, which was the first-reporting seat of 2019 and indicated the night to come.

Labour - 19,423
Tory - 17,044
PC - 1,551
Lib Dem - 666

Turnout of 68%

Labour - 15,443 (-3980)
Tory - 17,270 (+236)
PC - 1,552 (+1)
Lib Dem - 1,471 (+805)
Brexit - 1,477 (+1477)

Turnout of 65.7%

The Tories didn't win anymore votes in 2019 than they did in 2017 - which we almost won. The 2017 labour coalition of voters collapsed, due to Brexit and sustained media attack on Labour. And Kier isn't trying to bring them back, instead of focusing on this mythical Labour-Tory swing voter.

Thanks for doing a more well-researched version of the post that I was about to make: there was no Tory surge in the 'red wall' in 2019, Tory voters in those areas stayed about the same, while Labour voters stayed home. I really feel that Starmer's making the same mistakes as Biden is: abandoning his core vote in order to chase after a traditionalist, patriotic swing vote that doesn't actually exist.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Was everyone in the thread last night drunk.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The Tory press are all wondering whether the government really is clueless and flailing over their Covid response. Sun, Mail and Telegraph all strongly negative; Times less so but clearly unconvinced.

I guess these latest measures will be reversed within 48 hours, then.

Edit: 14,000 comments on the Mail report on this, Jesus.

Pistol_Pete fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 21, 2020

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I was surprised at the anger and disapproval. These are the papers and readers who, a few months ago, were all patriotically ordering their groceries online, clapping for the NHS and indulging in a bit of comfy ersatz Blitz Spirit. Now, they're all seriously pissed and saying that the government doesn't know what the gently caress it's doing and is just making it up as it goes along. Nearly everyone thinks that new lockdown measures are unnecessary.

It seems like a real sea-change in the attitudes of the public that Johnson cares about (Tory voters), which is why I think these measures will be walked back in the coming days.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Lungboy posted:

What measures? From the press briefings it sounds like it will be pubs closing early and not much else.

Perhaps everyone commenting spends a lot of time in Wetherspoons, I dunno v:shobon:v

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Same as many people posting in here: feel super-dispirited about politics right now. Torn between sticking with Labour and hoping some good could possibly come from that and feeling like I'm being played for a mug by a bunch of careerist shits who are implacably opposed to everything that I care about.

Perhaps Biden eating poo poo in the November election will wake people up a bit? I'm more and more in agreement that we need a left-wing version of Ukip: for all their lack of electoral success, they've actually been the most effective political force of the 21st century in the Uk. They leveraged their influence to push a niche issue (leaving the EU) to the heart of Uk politics and forced an outcome in their favour, something that would have seemed impossible just 5-6 years ago.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Shades of: "We must not squander our political capital!" i.e. another bullshit excuse for doing nothing.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Just left Labour and feel kind of... relieved? It'll still be annoying when I see Labour being poo poo and useless but at least I know that I'm not personally helping to enable it now.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Wait, Specsavers does ear syringing?? :confused:

That's like going to the garage and asking them to fix your roof.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Since we're on the topic of food, I have a tin of "mackeral fillets in a rich tomato sauce" and "sardines in a rich tomato sauce" (all skinless and boneless)

What kind of meal might these ingredients be a part of? The tins themselves don't give suggestions

- Tip tin (either tin) into a small bowl. Add some lemon juice and salt, mix it all up together with a fork and leave it to sit while you do the other prep.
- Slice an onion and start frying it in a saucepan with oil and a bit of salt and pepper. After 6-7 minutes, peel and smash a clove of garlic and add it in. Fry for another minute.
- Add in the fish/lemon/salt mix, some chilli flakes, a big squirt of tomato puree and get it gently simmering. Add splashes of water carefully - you want just enough so the mix will simmer without sticking but not so much that it goes watery (this should be a very thick sauce).
-Once it's simmering, add a handful of frozen peas and more salt & pepper to taste. Stick a lid on the pan and leave it to cook while you do the pasta.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Pretty sure the Ascension Island reporting was all about them doing that thing where initially they float an unbelievably ludicrous idea, so when they subsequently introduce the merely extremely ludicrous idea that they actually want to do, it seems more moderate by comparison.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Communist Thoughts posted:

Is this just more boring nonsense or is this the bit where we find out there are worse things than NDB

Well, it's definitely happening:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/01/brexit-eu-launches-legal-action-against-uk-for-breaching-withdrawal-agreement

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Trump's got the 'roni lol.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, you could imagine Boris faking it 'cos running away when things get tough is something that he's often done in the past.

By contrast, Trump lives for being the center of attention: trying to weasel out of rallies and tv appearances would be hugely alien to his character.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

sebzilla posted:

Gove's not an aristo, he's one of those weird try-hard pubbie Tories.

According to that tell-all Tory book, Gove and his wife, Sarah Vine were never quiiiite accepted into Cameron's aristocratic circle of friends due to their oikish origins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Who keeps voting this thread 1. Reveal yourselves, cowards!