Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Ms Adequate posted:

From the darkness we must fall
Failed and weak to darkness all

So say we all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

uuuuuggghhhhhhhh my head is killing me

What's everyone's favourite hangover cure, gimme

Next time stick to thiye dtonks

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I signed up for what I'm fairly sure is that same test, did the test and it never mentioned any bloody vouchers :argh:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I always thought Ankh-Morpork was based on Lancaster and Morecambe, but I don't know where I got this from. Probably from a bloke in an pub in Lancaster - is there any basis to this?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But No 10 said the measure would not include passengers in chauffeur-driven cars

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

though the driver’s employer would have to ensure they could work safely.

:bang:

The former necessarily precludes the latter. gently caress the rich.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

One of my flatmates at uni ate nothing but oven chips, he had an entire absolutely rammed freezer drawer to himself full of them. We caught him trying to cook and eat some that he'd left out that had turned black.

I never really got taught how to cook by my parents when growing up ('because you'll find someone who'll do that for you, dear' :eng99:) but even I was surprised at the complete lack of cooking education among the blokes at uni.

The Class 153 is a rail coach with a motor that you get when you live in a small Welsh village lucky enough to still have a railway. Also one of them is named after Pamela Anderson, for some reason?

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 29, 2020

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't know what era you were at school, but in the 70s when I was at secondary school, girls did cookery and boys did woodwork. When we got to our 'choices' year (year 10 in the new money), for the compulsory 'arts/crafts' subject, I chose to do technical drawing (I was the only girl - and as ever with my choices found other girls sneered at me and made comments about me choosing it - not the boys - even though as it happens I was second in the class, the boy who was top had a draughtsman father) and 2 boys chose cookery.

Then my folks moved to Germany and at the all girls army comprehensive I ended up in there was no TD provision and I was supposed to sit at the back of the bottom group art class and do TD by myself - yeah right. I switched to music after a term.

One of my relatives went into teaching in the early 2000s and was training in "Resistant Materials" and I had no idea what that was - turns out it was Woodwork & Metalwork LOL

My momma never taught me how to cook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUcE9cdQdkM

VVV - I loved TD and when I started my Surveying training I got great marks and comments for my technical drawings :D It's all on CAD now I guess!

Hah, we didn't get the option of cookery, or IT, or anything useful like that - not when there was Latin to learn!! In fact the headteacher declared that computers would never amount to anything and weren't worth learning about - in 1999.

I wish I'd paid more attention in Design & Technology though, I feel a bit left behind in that.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

cheeky bants

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

Not denying being some sort of deviant but where’s all that on my awfulapp?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

killerwhat posted:

Have you tried modafinil? Good for that “very competent/getting stuff done” feeling.

Licensed only for the treatment of narcolepsy in the UK, apparently.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

killerwhat posted:

Yeah but somehow semi legal - legal to possess but not sell maybe? Various (normal, not darkweb) websites sell it eg modafinilXL.

I just realised how middle class I am, excuse while I go pick out a nice fabric for my blindfold :suicide:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Been catching up on my old flatmate Michael Payne in light of his NEC run and spotted that his best mate from Uni (who I remember being a massive Tory at the time) has been a Lib Dem councillor for the last four years and stood for Parliament in Warrington South in 2019, neatly taking enough Labour votes to let the Tories in. God they were a pair of tedious twats.

I remember Michael Payne, the twat who while head of the Lancaster University student union tried to defund the student radio station because one of its shows were saying mean things about him. That Michael Payne?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Lungboy posted:

I think this might be the only genuinely good one i've ever seen:

https://twitter.com/rosielanners/status/1277545491052584960

Eamon de Valera is not how I'd imagined they'd be.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

notaspy posted:

Can someone help me find some pictures.

They are a series of drawings of how taxes would affect the average family.

The average family being a single mother on $250k (as they were about obamas tax plans of i recall correctly).

TIA

I can't find the gif that recommends the guillotine for all of them though, sadly.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

An idle thought today about the vitriol some fans have for their team's rivals, sort of the other side to this - I remember listening to a Villa fan talk for ten+ minutes about how much he hated all City fans, and thinking there was something really wrong with him, but then I used to get caught up in it when my team played the derby. It's an insight into what being a nationalist must be like.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

gently caress this, I'm doing dinner. Someone please prepare an executive summary of his stupid poo poo for me thanks in advance.

Looke posted:

loving farcical this Government of cunts

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I was born in Crewe so I am not really "Northern"

what

I was born in Oxfordshire so I am not really "Southern"

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 31, 2020

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I got told that it's not really "North" it's "the Midlands" tbf I was mainly told this by blokes at uni when I went to Leeds.

Speaking as someone who lives in Leeds, never to listen to blokes in Leeds.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Also I'd like to fall out with the thread by stating that Yorkshire puddings are just overcooked pancakes and I don't get what people see in them.

Gravy. I see gravy in them.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Drone_Fragger posted:

Nice, looks like I’m being let go at work. 2020 strikes again!

This sucks, I'm sorry and I hope you are able to find something else soon.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Nancaster is a new concept in the care home industry,

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I just got asked by Yougov whether Starmer was right not to reinstate Corbyn as an MP, which sort of blindsided me because last I heard he'd automatically been reinstated. So of course I open up this thread, and, well, :lol:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

sebzilla posted:

I don't even know if I'm in Mercia or Wessex.

Stupid fuzzy early medieval borders.

In the North Cotswolds there are enough places called Wychwood that you can intuit that you're in Hwicce :eng101:

If, however, you're in the good part of the Cotswolds, you're probably Cornish or something

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

My dad isn't talking to me after I told him I was only able to visit for Christmas if we all stayed outdoors. My sister is sending me news articles speculating what rules are gonna be lifted for Christmas week. I daren't tell my mum.

I can't in good conscience put any of my family in danger even if the risk is slight. I live in Leeds and work in a hospital, I'm surprised I haven't caught it yet myself.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I don't know if it applies in this case, but doesn't the GDPR entitle people to know if an automatic decision has been made, and to ask it be reconsidered manually? I don't hold out much hope for that being enforced meaningfully, but I seem to remember something about that in data security training.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Also I only got about ten points into the magna carta before I got bored and gave up.

Alright King John

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Salisbury Snape posted:

Dogs are better than cats. It's just fact

This is misogynist