Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I was talking to one of my managers yesterday and they were actually glad to be back in work. Allbeit the reason for it is because they have to keep living with family and it has been "a hard loving lockdown", to borrow a term they used.

Also dealing with older people is rapidly becoming my least favourite thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Have you spoken to him about it? You'd hope that with some people being obnoxious is just that they don't realise how big of an rear end in a top hat they are being?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

God, smug centrists are just infuriating. There are two very vocal starmer supporters in my PLP Facebook group who are just unwilling to even contemplate him doing any wrong.

Any chance of them flipping or going "poo poo" at anything short of him declaring all clothing outlawed?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I do enjoy how "oh no Labour did call for it but only if it was safe" gets blown to gently caress when it turns out "nope, re-open, I am saying nothing about how efficient it should be, just re-open"

Also we are probably going to lockdown again soon. I don't know for how long or what purpose atm though.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

jabby posted:

I had a nice job at a cinema, easy work, just sell tickets, managers were on the whole friendly.

Then all the heating broke in the middle of winter, and corporate decided we were banned from wearing anything over our "uniform" of a short-sleeved shirt because they didn't provide branded hoodies and gently caress letting us wear anything non-branded. They also decided against fixing the heating. So we practically froze to death for minimum wage while customers constantly asked "aren't you cold in that?".

It was a nice demonstration that while easy, simple jobs do exist they a) don't pay enough to live on and b) involve being treated like utter dog-poo poo for basically no reason.

From past experience in managing folks in a similar position you just don't tell corporate anything and if they push it, tell them to gently caress themselves in the nicest possible way.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I haven't read past Snuff. I'd reached a point where I didn't want to read any more Pratchett.

I still love Night Watch and so many other stories, and I wish it could have gone on longer, but I like holding the idea of "Pratchett" in my head as it were.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Mine was in the Merchant Navy, but did get to be there at the sack of Berlin.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

stev posted:

I'm enjoying a quick browse of the 'controversies' section of his Wikipedia page. What an utter oval office. It's somehow even more depressing that he could act that way being only 30.

He's younger than me and yet is still a rotten stump of a human being.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I am so sorry WhatEvil. Keep yourself safe, and we are here if you need us.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I would give you a hug if I could, Barry. Also going to venture that you are not the thing making people miserable at the moment.

Same. Keep safe Barry.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

Is every poster in UKMT a medieval flagellant?

I'm early modern era, but yes.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Azza Bamboo posted:

We all want a bit of attention sometimes.

Yarp. And buddy it's fine to admit mistakes have been made, but it is vital that guilt is useful. Getting into disputes is not neccesarily wrong, and FWiW I think you are trying. That's more than a lot of people atm.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jose posted:

*thinking harder than i ever have before* surely it wasn't the huge amount of londoners turning out for peoples vote marches that caused the north who voted for brexit to reject them

Are you saying that people showing up for marches caused people to essentially go "It's only soft Londoners who don't want Brexit"? Like is the animus so raw that if someone in the South does something someone in the North would choose to do the opposite out of spite?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jose posted:

i'm saying the high profile marches pissed off the huge amount of brexit voters severely who quite correctly believed that it was an attempt to tell them they're wrong

I was born in Crewe so I am not really "Northern" but this seems a tad, I dunno, infantilising?

kecske posted:

what does your heart tell you

I mean from personal experience no, but that might just be my own experience talking.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I got told that it's not really "North" it's "the Midlands" tbf I was mainly told this by blokes at uni when I went to Leeds.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

mrpwase posted:

Speaking as someone who lives in Leeds, never to listen to blokes in Leeds.

Oh no a paradox -ceases to exist-

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Sloth Life posted:

Anything north of Leicester is North.
Anything south of Leicester is South.

Say the people of Leicester.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Why waste your time trying to train yourself to ask a question that doesn't come naturally to you?

Because it's a nicer thing to ask?

Like, it's why I stopped saying "ladies and gentlemen" and started saying "folks" instead. Just a little change that might make some people feel better, it doesn't cost me any thing and you end up being a bit more inclusive.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Ash Crimson posted:

im sorry that you want to be a better, more considerate person

It does seem weird how much people really dislike wanting to change anything about themselves, doesn't everyone want to try and be different and at least a bit better every day?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

suck my woke dick posted:

No, many people do not want to change or improve.

If you don't very strongly value self improvement for its own sake or are used to external stimulation that requires you to self improve, self improvement is merely a particularly uncomfortable and tedious additional task in your (probably already lovely and busy) life and you'll get defensive at anyone who says you should do it.

But why? People can't surely think that today being the same as yesterday and the same as tomorrow is a good thing, and we only really have control over ourselves.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

notaspy posted:

Another reason I was reading about is that to say you are wrong usually means you have to reject your current in group and without a new one to join you are leaving yourself emotionally exposed.

This won't effect me because I have no ingroup! HAhaahaaohno.

suck my woke dick posted:

Three reasons come to mind why people don't want to change for the better

1) It implies you didn't make the best possible life choices. What, are you calling me a loser, oval office? *gets ready to break your loving nose*

2) It implies you have been affected by circumstances out of your control. That's just too horrible to contemplate in a just world.

3) :effort:

Those are so sad.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Xeno posted:

Delicatus posterius?

Surely it'd be "gluteus"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Apparently my wife's office has a rule that no-one, ever, can take two consecutive weeks or more off as annual leave. How legal is that? I know employers generally hold the cards on when and how leave is taken, would be keen to know what posters who know more about it think

Is it a rule or something unofficial that is just enforced?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

For anyone confused about what happened here, Corbyn should (according to the Labour rulebook) have had the whip automatically restored when he was unsuspended. Starmer had to specifically block him from regaining the whip, which is within his powers as Labour leader but means that he can't hide behind Evans or the Labour disciplinary process any more (because only he could do this, and because it's an extraordinary action that he had to do deliberately).

It seems like such a stupid thing to do!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jesus that's just awful. Both of these things seem really bad.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

My mum is being very insistent that I come home for Christmas.

It'd just be mum, dad and myself and last time I visited (back in October) I don't think my folks saw my lower jaw during that entire time.

Part of me really doesn't want to go back. I don't want to risk infecting either of them.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Don't go then.

If they complain, it's better than them dying.

If they're unrelenting, don't answer their phone calls, or agree to go then fall mysteriously ill on the day.

This is a good impulse, don't ignore it. Not going is the right thing under the circumstances.

My mums had mental health stuff all of this year and is just about getting back on her feet and I... I don't really know how to say "no" to folks.

That and I can't even fall back on the "government guidelines" stuff. At least then they'd listen to me.

I wish I could make them understand that I'm trying to keep them safe.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Worse than that, I'd be going up by train!

But she won't though, I don't really want to put pressure on someone who is already petrified of death (that was the MH problem to vastly oversimplify things).

I know you folks are right its just getting them to listen. I think dad will understand but sometimes mum doesn't cope well with stuff.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I still remember the first few years I was working at a tourist attraction and a school group came round in the uniforms and people would try to take photos because they were like "how weird".

Awkward trying to explain "DO NOT TAKE PICTURES OF KIDS" to someone who doesn't speak your language.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Already gone.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I mean you can be anti all of the above by not interfering, but if you are going to interfere you are pretty much having to back either of those two sides from what I've been told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I wonder what would happen if we'd just let the freaking revolution against the Shah and the nationalisation of Iranian oil go ahead.

Just take the loving L.