Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It seems like wide receivers are losing the weird news game to running backs for the first time in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eh, sure? Whatever.

It'd be kinda interesting seeing him go from how Jacksonville used him to how the Chiefs use running backs I guess. Although I didn't realize he got a ton of receiving targets last year until looking him up just now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This is Mehta who I vaguely remember is there to be antagonistic more than report, but I choose to 100% believe the second thing here.

31 NFL teams have figured out how to get players and coaches meeting in person. The Jets haven’t bothered

quote:

1) Ownership did not want to spend the necessary amount of money to create an environment that would adhere to Environmental Protection Agency recommendations for proper ventilation, and

2) Gase’s reluctance to push back since he has a general preference to limit face-to-face interactions with players.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Who was the Dolphins reporter we used to make fun of? He still out there dropping nuclear takes?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Alright Jon, we get that you want to hate on your starting and backup QBs but...at least sign some UDFA we don't know about or something?

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1301871284016513024

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Today is cutdown day and while it makes perfect sense I had no idea until I randomly came across something noting that.

This doomed season is weird as all hell.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

R.D. Mangles posted:

i know this is really weird because of their relative draft position, but i have been thinking about it and would trade deshaun watson straight up for mitchell trubisky

Forget those late drafted losers, if you had to do it over again Trubisky or Fournette?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mystic Stylez posted:

Give him 42m/yr you cowards

Man Pat's looking like he weighs about twice what everyone else does with that angle and flak jacket.

Also I wiki'd Mitch and I'd completely forgotten this if I ever knew it in the first place:

quote:

Trubisky is nicknamed "Mr. Biscuit" as a play on his name

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/NickiJhabvala/status/1302281938837831680

:shrug: ok?

I mean if he could actually play he'd 100% be the starter right now wouldn't he? It ain't like he's going to grow a new leg in the next few months.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'd just like to note that the Chiefs backup corners are named L'Jarius Sneed and Thakarius BoPete Keyes.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mega64 posted:

I wonder how many points the Chiefs will spot the Texans before Mahomes goes off and crushes their will to live again.

It's a regular season game against the AFC South, for whatever reason those games are poison to the Chiefs recently.

I mean, I'm not picking the Texans here or anything, just noting there's a weird thing going on there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wandler20 posted:

drat, Rosen is younger than Joe Burrow. Seems like he's been in the league for 5 years already.

Who was the last 5th year senior who transferred who ended up as the #1 overall?

I mean I have done zero thinking about this so it might have been 2019 for all I know. e: Nope Kyler was a junior who transferred.

Predictably it hasn't been that long, Baker Mayfield.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Last non-quarterback 5th year senior has been a bit though (largely because so many QBs go #1 overall). Unless I've made a mistake with Eric Fisher it's Jake Long from the 2008 draft. I guess from my own question I'd have to look further to find a transfer though.

I think I might be wrong here anyway? If so I'm back to Steve Emtman before giving up. And man there's a whole lot of bad QBs picked first overall with the occasional Peyton in there.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 8, 2020

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fartknocker posted:

People complain about Madden every year when it’s launched, it’s a minor story in gaming/sports circles, and then it’s gone once the first patch date is announced or whatever. Like, I remember basically the same furor a decade or so back when there was a glitch with some of the medium/higher difficulties that allowed low rated DT’s to run with, effectively cover, and out jump guys like Calvin Johnson and Randy Moss for interceptions. It made for some funny videos for a week, and then it was gone any nobody cared or remembered.

I am not plugged into this scene but I feel like it's bigger this year. Maybe pandemic related since more people are playing, maybe just tired of years of not having a franchise mode update or whatever? Or maybe just me paying more attention.

As a person who hasn't played in a while I've enjoyed the buggy videos at least.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Aqib Talib is apparently retiring (did he opt out? I haven't been following anything like I usually do)

https://twitter.com/AqibTalib21/status/1303711524981280772

e: oh he was just injured and old mostly, I'd forgotten about the trade to Miami.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 9, 2020

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kalensc posted:

There's a few fun jabs in there, and naturally many nonsense/awful comments:

Ha, from the AFC version of this article:

quote:

Houston Texans: “All indications say they should take a step back, but never underestimate a good coach like Bill O’Brien.”

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

do these people realize Rivers was the biggest problem on the chargers last year or

I so want to free agent flowchart this post especially because it's you, but I can't argue with your actual point.

Also I would like to advertise my services for the Athletic if they need quotes. I am all over this type of thing and I'll give it for free.

quote:

And then Patrick Mahomes can improvise when he needs to. He does a good job of getting the checkdown, and he has an extraordinary arm. That helps.”

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fsif posted:

Anyone that uses a vague prompt about a team's upcoming season to go out of their way to talk about Frank Gore almost certainly has a terminal case of NFL brain trust.

I don't know how the sausage is made with these types of articles but some of those things sound a lot like calling up an opposing team's scout and asking them to randomly say something nice (or mean) about a guy on another team. And probably on a schedule so it needs to go out in 30 minutes or something.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^-yeah Sorensen (who I love to hate on) just made a good open field tackle

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

BOB kicked a field goal on 4th and 1 and then went for a terrible fake punt the next series

Never forget

The fake punt was a fine call that just got sniffed out by one guy who made a play.

The field goal on 4th and 1 and the subsequent explanation (after a time out!) that 'we didn't have a good play for that situation'....well not so much.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

You from the future?

I mean, from whatever angle he's absolutely sure to be right.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

BoB turned Penn State around when it was supposed to die which is his biggest sin.

He's probably responsible for both Matt McGloin and Christian Hackenberg being drafted, which you gotta admit is pretty impressive.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Mid 50s and showers in KC for the season opening game.

Can't have the slightest thing not be weird I guess, but a wet ball and no preseason could be fun if you're into that type of thing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

axeil posted:

I thought Defector was going to be subscriber only?

I believe it is and opening it up early on is intended to sell people who didn't already subscribe? But I guess I don't know for sure.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eifert Posting posted:

Seriously how many teams have hired a bellichic coach or GM? Just from memory:

KC

To be fair from the perspective of anyone who is not a Kansas City fan Scott Pioli being such a petty controlling GM and driving Todd Haley (even more) insane was pretty funny and good entertainment.

I guess you could probably say the same about most of the other teams on that list too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eifert Posting posted:

What's up with these Kansas City players?

Narrator's note: He chose to highlight the player's tenure in Kansas to fit his preffered narrative.

If you have ever returned a kick or punt for the Chiefs your odds of being a jerk in some fashion go up like 250%.

I only discovered Josh Bellamy had any stats at all for the Chiefs looking this up to verify he actually appeared in a game for them at some point.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fartknocker posted:

I really don’t follow college football, but I never heard one positive mention of Dooley or Bielema as coaches.

Bielema kept the train running at Wisconsin which somehow or other just runs itself with huge offensive linemen and decent RBs. But he definitely didn't fail there.

Good luck finding any fan with anything positive about Dooley.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Codependent Poster posted:

How the gently caress are so many players hurt out of nowhere?

I wonder if a few of these reports are guys who have been dealing with nagging things we would have known about before now if camps were open. I mean others like Courtland Sutton and Von Miller and whoever seem like just bad luck in the last few days.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bird in a Blender posted:

This seems to be stretching the use of the word Breaking.

Move that colon to after Browns and it'll be the excuse to fire him later on.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mystic Stylez posted:

The NFL is insane

This seems like the type of decision you can't give to the player. He might feel pressured, he might be insane, either way just tell him he can't go today.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sharknado slashfic posted:

I feel like I'm going crazy, does anyone know where to find the actual starters for a football game? Like, the game already happened so there should be some sort of list somewhere, but all google is finding is projected starters and fantasy stats.

PFR has it, assuming you're asking about the Ravens this was their week 1 game. Scroll down a bit for starters.

They also have snap counts.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

OxySnake posted:

I don't know who Trey Lance is but I hope MIN takes him instead of an OLB/CB.

I feel bad for the guy. FCS player who probably shouldn't be, but he doesn't even get to dominate everyone and get good tape this year down. He'll only play one game against Central Arkansas (should that happen) and then hopefully get to show off in the combine.

Anyway he's a dual threat guy who started for one year--and was awesome in that year for whatever that's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kirios posted:

I don't know if you ever fire coaches after Week 1 but Vic Fangio is really trying to test that theory out.

Look man poo poo's hard when the game's coming to the end and the other team is in a huge rush and the crowd is going wild and you didn't have a very long break at the two minute warning to think about what to do and...