Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Papercut posted:

Jimmy G has looked like garbage this first half

E: and also the 2nd half

Jimmy G looks like the guy who played Po or Poe or whatever in the new starwarses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I'm scared too but it's good to remember that this was really just the first preseason game and not draw too many conclusions from it.

0-1 being the primary conclusion.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Benne posted:

It's hilarious when they pull the mask down and then keep holding up a playsheet to hide their mouths while calling plays. Like, bro, you literally have the mask right there, it's a perfect time to use it. Old habits die hard I guess.

My favourite was Mullet Belichick covering his mouth with the playsheet, while wearing his mask.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Rams uniforms look like the old California license plates.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Thank you Robbie Gould for the double resurrection in kicker eliminator.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The whole Seahawks team looked off tonight. Both sides of the ball looked completely gassed for the second half. Like they were all playing hung over.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DancingMachine posted:

Yeah that poo poo deserves a suspension but won't even get a second look.

Fine him the equivalent of Carson's salary for the time he's out.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

kensei posted:

I almost feel like you could start a Patrick Maholmes Bull poo poo movement much like RWBS and no one would argue

That would imply the Chiefs are ever down far enough to need it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

You know what that means...
13-6

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The good: watching Dickson put on a punting clinic.
The bad: Dickson having to put on a punting clinic.
The ugly: the Seahawks offensive line. :cripes:

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 12, 2020

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I was going to say, against any other team, I think you go for it, but against the Seahawks, you kick the field goal... If you're any other team but the Vikings. That being said, a missed field goal is no different than a missed 4th down conversion in that case.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Stafford's final drive might have been drive of the week, but that DK tackle must be the best play of the week.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Congrats Cardinals, but good lord that game was begging to end in a tie.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Also I'm glad I went to bed at half time and watched the rest of the compressed game on lunch break today because I wouldn't have slept at all if I'd stayed up to watch the whole thing.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Garbage time or no, Mullens was throwing with a lot more zip than it seemed Jimmy could manage. He was chucking darts out there. Nice to see Dallas step up as Seattle's only RB.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DancingMachine posted:

"stepping up"

code:
CAR  YDS       AVG  TD  LONG
18    41	2.3    1     9
REC YDS  AVG    TD LONG  TGTS
5    17    3.4	 1    5     5
Hurry back, Chris.

(OK he did get 2 TDs)

Yeah I mean, he wasn't used that much because the game was all on Russ and DK, but he was involved in some key 1st downs, and 5 targets 5 receptions means he didn't drop any. Looking for some silver linings here.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Maybe the PED Moore pissed hot for was Dexamethasone...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Wow, that was some trash play by Seattle today. But most of it was Quentin Dunbar being about as useful as a tackling dummy in basically every play. You could see him kind of limp-running on the play before his DPI call in the 4th, I guess he's nursing an injury, but that is a guy who needs to be replaced by some practice squad guy and sit on the bench for a game to think about how badly he sucked.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Everyone keeps sharing it on twitter so I have to show it here:

That was a 3rd and 15 that was easily converted. There's no reason to give that much space, I can't tell if that's bad coaching or if Dunbar was just THAT completely out of his element.

He looked like he took a traumatic brain injury on like the first play of the first quarter and didn't know where he was or what he was supposed to be doing for the rest of the game.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

half cocaine posted:

Lmao both Quill and Dunbar will be out.

Dunbar was out last game too.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

half cocaine posted:

I see the Seahawks defence can't stop a wet paper bag.

Seahawks defense is made out of wet paper bag.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

There was one play where Russ curled up in a ball as soon as he received the snap. There was a free edge rusher (I think it was Floyd) that he picked up, so he knew right away he was done. He seemed really spooked by the Rams pass rush and forced all kinds of poo poo before plays had time to devop. The defense we knew was bad, but I think the o-line got exposed as not being the level of mediocre we all hoped it finally was.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

Rams defense held Russ to no touchdowns, his 2nd lowest passing yardage output of the season, picked him twice and sacked him six times while taking the Seahawks biggest offensive weapon out of the game. They held an offense that has scored 30+ in every game this season to under 20 points. It was a great defensive performance and I'm excited to see what they can manage against the Bucs, 49ers and Cardinals the next three weeks, especially as the players grasp the system more and more and make less mistakes.

As for Russell, maybe he's just loving exhausted? Like every game can't come down to whether or not RW can make miracles happen or not, it's gotta be mentally taxing.

It a lot of ways this feels like the most complete team they've put together during the McVay era, the defense is solid, the run game is working but Goff needs to stop being bad and they need to figure out how not to miss field goals and extra points. Letting Zuerlein go was the biggest mistake they could have ever made.

Yeah I very much agree. On the Rams defense, and on Russ being exhausted. Previous games showed Seattle's defense as exposed, this one exposed our offense. With no run game, questionable o-line vs a top tier pass rush, and good DBs smothering Lockett and Metcalf, there's only so much you can ask of kickass QB. On those Rams DBs, the cameras didn't show it much because they were focussed to much on Russ getting pressured and sacked, but there were a few looks that showed the guy coveting Metcalf just sticking to him like glue.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Well it started out as a software distribution company at least, so...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

What gets me is when a stadium has a non-corporate name originally, like the Skydome in Toronto, and the subsequent attempts at memory-holing that legacy in the name of our corporate overlords. I still call it the skydome.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

That was a good, fun game. Little chippy in parts, but good. Man it was good having Hyde back. Hawks and Cards are well matched.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Lol that Rams 49ers game. Ball was greased or something. So many turnovers!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Man, the Seahawks look so much better with a credible run game. Great to have Carson and Hyde back.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

It's funny, I still just go to Total Wine to get things. In WA they sell Suntory whiskey for cheaper than Costco.

It's probably one of those "yeah it's actually crap though" to the locals but as an out of towner, I found Total Wine in Tukwila amaaaaazing. The prices were weird though. Some stuff (local especially) was super cheap, but some imported stuff was actually more expensive than LCBO prices.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Alright, best grocery stores, Seattle area edition:

1. Winco
2. Uwajimaya (for the SoCal / San Jose folks, this our Mitsuwa Marketplace, but better)
3. Fred Meyer (the ones in Portland are better, obvs)
4. H-Mart
5. Ranch 99
6. Grocery Outlet
7. Trader Joe's
8. That mess of QFC, Safeway, and Albertsons
9. That guy selling sketchy food on the side of Pike Place market
10. Whole Foods

I'll give a shout out to all the other Asian grocery stores like Viet-Wah, Lam's Seafood, and Seafood City too.

Go football woo

Didn't there used to be some place called Pacific Marketplace or Pacific Coast Markets or something like that? I remember going to one I think near Seward park once and it seemed pretty good.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

The old Columbia Plaza in Columbia City got converted in to fancy apartments and a PCC and when that happened I felt like my dad when Angie's got torn down. That said, PCC has great salads.

Valley Market is also good if you're in weird Federal Way/Auburn.

As for football, I am still a bit down on the Hawk's defense but also super glad the running game is getting back. Also DK.

Oh yeah PCC, that's the place!

Pass rush looked good against the eagles, but then Wentz is a bit of a sitting duck.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nanobubble manufacturing equipment had been on the fritz, been making microbubbles. New parts finally arrived from China, nanoscale manufacturing capability restored.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Listen, Russ can still cook just fine. It's just the executive chef designed a garbage menu, the waitstaff keep calling in sick, and it's not like it's his restaurant, so he's not about to work himself to death for it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Dutchy posted:

If we could just hypnotize him into believing he's always down 15+ in the 4th....

Send him to the Wilson Dojo.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I really liked the gimbal DSLR camera footage in the end zone and some of the huddles they used during the Washington Seattle game.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Refs tried their hardest to give the Rams the advantage, but in the end it was the same old sorry rear end rams.

Beathard also played pretty well for the 49ers. Like, better than Handsome Jimmy had been.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Also, no problem with Carroll's goal line challenge. I think he calls a time out there anyway to let the defense come up for air and make sure their coverage is correct. You don't lose anything by making that time out a challenge, if you have the opportunity to challenge something. Fumble in the endzone, even if it's 99% not recovered by you, is still worth a shot if you were calling time out anyway.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

How? I'm seriously asking because I only saw clips of the game on RedZone, and I haven't heard/read this.

I disagree with the interpretation of giving himself up, based on the rule posted in the GDT.

"Article 1: Dead Ball Declared. An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended:
...when a runner is out of bounds, or declares himself down by falling to the ground, or kneeling, and making no effort to advance; or"

He didn't kneel, and he didn't fall to the ground and make no effort to advance. He made the catch and got up with it in his possession. Then he decided not to advance the ball by placing it on the ground, not while he was on the ground.
But anyway, it was pretty loving hilarious for a minute regardless.
There was also the roughing the kicker penalty, which was clearly running into the kicker, the former which gave the Rams a fresh set of downs.
And the fumble on the punt that was recovered by Seattle on replay but was never reviewed or considered to be anything but a recovery by the Rams.
And the not set penalty on DK that erased a run for a 1st, which is ticky tacky but maybe technically correct, like calling an o-lineman on holding.
And then there was the obvious intentional grounding where Goff was still in the pocket and hucked it into the turf behind the LOS to avoid pressure that wasn't called.
There was probably other stuff, but the Rams never really were able to make much of any advantage given by the refs, so it was only WTF at the time it happened and quickly forgotten.

And like I'm not mad about it really, because we got the win, but it just seemed to me while watching the game that if the refs had a chance to make a call that favoured the Rams, they made that call.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 29, 2020

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He fell to the ground and made no effort to advance the ball, which is exactly what the rule says. Both of those actions happened. The rule doesn’t say you must fall to the ground and remain there while not advancing the ball. How would one even advance the ball while they were on the ground? Rolling? Belly crawling?

Anyway, the refs err on the side of obvious player intent in cases like this, like in this play from last season.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KevinBoilard/status/1213598794501296129

Yeah, I know, I know. I just wish they'd sometimes err on the side of funniest result, that's all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think if you consistently apply it the way it was sunday you're going against the spirit of the rule, opening the game up to more antics, and putting more doubt into a players head on whether or not a play is actually over without hearing a whistle. All of which is much worse than a team who couldn't stop the clock anyway losing a few extra seconds.

Giving yourself up should be blatant and it should result in a player waiting for a blown whistle, not dictating on their own when a play is over.

Yeah, he could have easily turned up field and run for another 5 yards once he got up with the ball. The fact that he didn't confused the defense enough that they thought the ball was live. You need to make a point of declaring the ball dead at the spot, like signalling for a fair catch. If there was a defender anywhere near him he could have got trucked while he was putting down the ball.
But I get it, and it's not an inconsistent call. Look at intentional grounding. As long as you meet the barest minimum criteria of vague intent it's not intentional grounding. Just throw it withing 5 yards of the feet of your blocking TE with his back to you with one foot on the side hash mark, good enough, you tried. Nobody was ever going to catch that, but the intent was you were declaring the play dead, so it's dead.