Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
i've scrolled past like, three or four deep dive videos on Penders, which one should i pick up if the extent of my knowledge is "ken penders somehow managed to land a gig making the sonic comics, filled them with his weird OCs, went to court over it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I don't think it was Ken but archie comics had princess Sally having to strip naked to dip herself in a golden pond because her dad and all her ancestors did it for some weird generational trauma reason

One arc had a dude who was drawn like the rankin bass hobbit who just happened to, be there I guess, as a human and it was the author's self insert

very cool, very normal.
reminds me of that guy who self-inserted into the powerpuff girls remake. just getting a job at CN with the deliberate purpose of turning yourself into the canonical crush of a cartoon child, but it's okay because you're a child too. you're a child in the cartoon, that is, you're a grown-rear end man in real life

e: this is fake-ish actually, nevermind

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 16, 2023

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
yeah i remembered it came from the 4chan rumor mill and yup, adding the character is still kinda creepy but linking it to one specific guy rather than the creative team on the whole being kinda terrible comes close to character assassination

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

DeafNote posted:

I may be misinformed, but Projareds case was at least not as bad as it at first looked?

Then again I never even watched a Projared video in the first place.

I only sorta skimmed the ~controversy~ when it came out, but unless there was another installment that I missed, yeah, pretty much. There was a *lot* to unpack from the stuff that was leaked, but once you did it didn't amount to much more than "ProJared is the divorcedest man alive"

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I'm not really into musical stuff and song parodies and whatnot so I haven't been following the bulk of bdg's post-polygon work, but the stuff I have watched (that fiction horror short with the camcorder dad and that nonfiction horror long with the united states healthcare provider system) have been pretty solid

e: he's also in like, a quiz/improv/d&d/whatever online show, right? i get clips from that in YT shorts from time to time

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 3, 2023

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Look, I love Defunctland, we all love Defunctland, but he will never be able to top the "people hosed on the Garfield dark ride" moment. He's jumped the (mechanical, partly functional, non-OSHA compliant) shark.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I could feel Defunctland Kevin's lower eyelid twitching every time he decided to add a few extra seconds of "Big Red Car" to every snippet of footage of the ride, just to accurately convey the experience. The creative process can take people to some pretty dark places.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I'd figure it happens a lot with videos that risk copyright claims or demonetization strikes. There's obvious stuff like including songs and video footage, but also things like cited sources can turn out to be an issue. The children's band hellride video made me rewatch some of Defunctland's older content, and a couple of videos about children's shows now had blurred out sections that I could swear weren't there before. It wasn't what you'd expect, though - it was mostly the captions of magazine articles used as reference for general stuff like the dates of auditions and production details. And the content of the article was still being voiced out word by word, it was just the text of the article on the screen that had been blurred. Doesn't seem to make much sense, but YT's rules seldom do.

In addition to that, there's just good old "oh for gently caress's sake, I was sure I'd fixed that poo poo before i clicked upload"

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Shinji2015 posted:

Lovely, the ad experience on YT is already terrible as-is. Some videos on the app get ads like every two minutes, and I've had pre-roll ads, a second of the video, then straight into more ads happen multiple times. I've also been trying to curate ads (mostly because I'm sick of seeing anti-vape commercials over and over and over), and one thing I discovered today is that you can't do anything about military ads!

Been close to giving up on the site entirely since I got an onslaught of far-right noise during elections (and outside of legal ad period too, but it's fine since those are "NGO" ads so they don't count) and now that that whole thing is over (worst election result imaginable, as expected) I have literally not seen a single ad that isn't some sports betting poo poo with the worst dubbing imaginable. Reporting it doesn't do squat since the company has five million fake accounts pumping out the same video, and requesting a review on it (since it's absolutely a scam) doesn't seem to do anything other than prove that the ad really got you to ~engage~ so maybe you'd like to see it a few thousand times more?

At this point the most likely solution would be to get rid of the app and only access it on desktop, but if they finally find a way to get around adblocks and I do reach the dark point in my life where I end up choosing to pay (more) for content™, I'd rather get a Nebula subscription before even entertaining the thought of getting YT Premium.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
idk if it's been posted already but Hazel had a good video on Tenchi Muyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NA8sPKW4b0

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

The 7th Guest posted:

i'd be interested in youtubers that talk about animation that aren't unhinged lily orchard types. youtube only ever recommends saberspark to me however, who has no real jokes in his videos and is just angry all the time, and his channel produces amazingly bad thumbnails

CellSpex's stuff is pretty good. She's mostly settled at reviews of animated feature films, but will occasionally cover series (and live action, from time to time). Unlike Saberspark she actually has worthwhile stuff to say about the movies she reviews / commentates besides "now I don't know much about (whatever the movie is about), but this was SO COOL/LAME/WEIRD!!!". I particularly like her yearly roundups because she usually includesa few indie, international or arthouse films that flew entirely under the radar otherwise.

I liked Breadsword's videos too but the channel seems to have gone on indefinite hiatus.

For anime-specific coverage there's a broader selection of quality youtubers, but hazel and Beyond Ghibli are a good place to start imo

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Terrible Opinions posted:

It is weird that of the two English speakers who became youtube famous for making fun of Sword Art Online one of them became a living Crunchy Roll advertisement and the other joined a cult.

okay i'll ask

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Disney sequel chat reminds me of the Laura Crone video on the Swan Princess sequels. 1 hour of mediocre-to-hideous animation and a 20 minute detour about the Gospel of Mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saM3afhPfO8

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Kunster posted:

I'll make fun of that one essay that didn't clearly understand Klaasje's character which also featured a segment on how the Sunday Friend sucked. Ok if you tried to understand what horseshit SF was talking about, didn't you get that he was also there to locate her so she can be disappeared by the MoralIntern for potential corporate espionage. You can totally gather this from just talking with her on the roof without getting compromised by Volition. How didn't you get that during making a 1 hour video about it that made you made cutesy cartoons for.

Also... the final guy? Yes, you can totally sympathize with the trauma of having to hide on that one island for years while the mainland gets taken over the MoralIntern with bomber ships ready to blitz the people there into smithereens, but you know WHAT ELSE you can see there? The giant bug thing with antideluvian foresight and pheromones that excite and entrance not only the player character, but also the sole human that lived there for decades! He turns into a blubbering baby as soon as it leaves and happily lets you have all of the info! Stupid essay didn't even get Evrart Claire as a character! ONE HOUR OF THIS poo poo!!!

I haven't watched uricksaladbar's video on Klaasje, but if it's similar to his other Cage vs Disco Elysium one, I don't think it's that bad. He misses some stuff (which is easy to do in DE, since different builds can lead to wildly different experiences) and the fundamental purpose of the video(s) is to poo poo on David Cage, which is fun but beating a dead horse for anyone who already knows who the guy is. But the idea behind his videos is to contrast good and bad writing, either when it comes to writing women or writing mysteries. The thing about the deserter is that yeah, he drops into the story out of nowhere, which is generally considered a poo poo way to solve your murder mystery, but when you learn about him you can tell that his inclusion as a character makes sense as an endcap to the story and as a solution to the mystery. Obviously the bug is what makes DE's ending, but the deserter is a pretty solid character before you run into the bug. You don't need the bug, or to have noticed the little clues the deserter left, like the bullet holes or the footprints, to justify or explain the deserter as a character.
Compare that with Cage writing his shock twist villain to be a player character, which in theory would allow him to pepper the entire story with hints and clues, and for the reveal to carry a lot of weight as the player now sees everything he's learnt about the character in a new light, but Cage still manages to gently caress it up because his characters have no substance or motivation and the twist requires the stupidest leaps of logic regarding everything you've done up to that point.

so yeah YT videos on DE usually bad, but this one's specifically about some aspects of the writing rather than the whole plot, and it's okay I guess

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I think at this point we've all witnessed so many Content Creators™ crash and burn that it's natural to assume it's part of the cycle, and even if you don't dive headfirst into parasocial brainworms it's still an unpleasant experience when a personality whose content you enjoyed turns out to be a sex pest, a scammer, a moron or a chud. So I think it's normal to react to that by sorta going on the defensive and putting a layer of cynicism between you and any content you engage with, lest it be revealed as poo poo Content Made by poo poo People in the future.
That's one approach, but there's also an alternative approach where you just Like Things That Are Good.

anyway here's joey yelling at plants in new zealand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zqrq-x-pZA

and here's Max Miller with some loving dogshit coffee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfOanv9oUv4

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I only played the first Deponia game and that was one too many. The nicest thing I can say about the franchise is that calling the writing deliberately hateful is giving the writers too much credit.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
anyway on the topic of very long deep dives on children's media that are mostly the content creator doing a summary, here's another. the difference is that it's about a show i watched as a kid, therefore instead of bad, it's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCVAGumsmHY

31 minutos is/was massive in Chile (and reasonably big in the rest of Latin America through cable reruns) so it's a bit surreal to witness someone experiencing it for the first time, and its particular vibe of "it's scuffed as hell, but on purpose, but not on purpose, but on purpose, but n"

Despite the language barrier and a lot of details getting lost in translation, the creator obviously put a lot of effort into the video, which still ended up getting demonetized through the usual arcane reasons. Her channel's pretty small so it must really suck to wake up to your latest video outperforming everything else you've put together, combined, by a country mile, and still not be able to make a dime from it.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I don't read a lot of superhero comics but in one of Wolverine's countless crossover appearances (either in Ms Marvel or Squirrel Girl) it was revealed that his claws don't make any sound, he just says 'snikt' real quiet every time they come out

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
you don't need a justification to not spend money on Patreon and/or other subscriber services. if you don't feel like it, you don't feel like it. "they make too much money already" feels like unnecessary reasoning because if I did subscribe to a Patreon, I'd be doing it for the extra content, not to provide charity to the downtrodden YouTuber.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
what's the comparison between what you'd get from a Nebula subscription vs what you'd get from pledging a couple o bucks on Patreon re: the big content creators

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
it took me like 15 years to realize that Bone and Cerebus were different comics made by different people, which certainly... went different places

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

fun hater posted:

blackbolt cant even defend himself.....bullies ....

why can't he
did he also kill his parents by posting too hard

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
what are some good "movie bad" channels
like whenever there's some new studio disaster i'll search YT for it but i'll have to dredge through a gazillion "THIS BOX-OFFICE BOMB PROVES THAT WOKE=BROKE!!!!" poo poo pieces and those loving god-awful videos with the enlarged eyes on the thumbnails

i already follow some creators that do Movie Bad videos sometimes (like sarah z or jenny) but they usually focus on specific genres. something that would spend more time on the production side of the Movie becoming Bad (kinda like todd in the shadows when he reviews bad albums or, idk, matt mcmuscles with video games) rather than just riffing on it would be best

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
another Wired video with this funeral dork

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVMaNvo9IQ4

from a few days back, but another Primitive Technology video. as usual, turn on captions for descriptions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTzMqWaoqYw

if you like PrimTech, you might also like this smaller channel where some nerd recreates various tech from the past. here's one with a wax tablet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBbchaZQqsA

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

RatHat posted:

Also has something in common with Attack on Titan: Engrish localization names

i think Dungeon Meshi's English name was picked specifically so that it could be shortened as DnD, but they could have just gone with Dungeons and Dining so :shrug:

still can't beat the Spanish localization name

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Quick look at North Korean art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctXewt3s6_s

I expected the same gaudy oil paintings that everyone's seen of some Kim being gifted flowers by a bunch of kids, but it makes sense that they'd have really skilled linocut/woodcut artists

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
about the only person with a worse reading of SU than Lily Orchard was some weirdo who noticed that there was a pro-Israel lobbyist who was also named Rebecca Sugar, somehow missed that they were two different people, then went on to list every way in which SU could be interpreted as Zionist propaganda.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Alaois posted:

when i played Dead Money for the first time I talked Dean down very easily and was blown away when i read people online talk about how hard it is lol

iirc the thing with Dean Domino is he has the most fragile ego in the entire wasteland and if you even once respond to him with a neutral tone instead of with gushing adulation, he'll be convinced that you got yourself kidnapped with the express purpose of making him look bad. i played the goodest of goodie two shoes through my entire FNV run but his was the one avoidable NPC death i didn't bother to savescum to fix lmao, gently caress that guy

anyway here's Max Miller with some nun cookies (bad!) and nun wine (good!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa1r9O0-PEE

reminded me of the old Aeons video about various nun crimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzyuYjIsYFE

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
elves who are facing the sun and therefore their face gets all scrunched up, makes sense

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
anyway, bad movies, many:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0R_o_q3hCo

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Bakeneko posted:

I was feeling fatigued but generally okay about it right up until it went and pulled a Fallout 3 style bullshit forced choice right at the end. In fact it was arguably worse than FO3 because that game was at least consistently railroad-y throughout its main quest but BG3 had previously been all about telling your own story and finding alternative solutions to problems.

Is it like the standard near-end funnel that happens in most games with ~branching narratives~? The cost of writing endings (and endgame scenarios like final bosses and such) that account for every decision that's been made so far is stratospheric so you'll usually whittle down the options a bit and go from a million branches to, like, five, as the game starts winding down. The trick is to use enough sleight of hand and smoke and mirrors that the few choices you leave players with still feel like they follow naturally from what they had built up to that point.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Bakeneko posted:

Basically, near the end the game arbitrarily decides that you need the help of a mind flayer to take down the big boss brain. This means you either cooperate with The Emperor and allow him to continue imprisoning and torturing Prince Orpheus (and by proxy allow the Githyanki queen to continue enslaving her people since he’s the only one who could rally them against her) or you could free Orpheus but then either he or your character has to become a mind flayer and have their soul destroyed in the process.

What really rubs salt into the wound is that it’s easy to imagine other solutions. Heck; they even implemented one of them into the game in the form of Gale’s bomb, which still really sucks but at least nobody’s getting their soul destroyed or forced to endure endless torture. But honestly given everything you’ve done up until that point, including fighting the avatar of a god and an ancient undead dragon it’s very unsatisfying to be told you can’t just smack that brain down with sheer badassery like you’ve done for every other enemy in the game.

but that just sounds like the mass effect 3 ending except the big eldritch hivemind is replaced with a... big... eldritch hivemind...

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

The 7th Guest posted:

for tom scott's regular channel, 30 minutes is practically a quinton reviews length

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqRREz0iBes

Wish Tom did a couple more vids while he was in Chile. He covered Cybersyn in one of his quiz show eps ages ago but the format kinda sucked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KzcZZ_3vL8

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

egg tats posted:

I don't think anyone posted about this, but Hazel (from anime) posted a normal creepypasta retrospective with her sister for her halloween video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xhhql_gpDY

hazel, from anime, makes good videos, of anime. and also of not anime apparently?? very good creepypastium, knew all of them

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Farg posted:

was there ever a movie with the subtitle electric boogaloo or is it just like a grandpa-age oldschool meme

glad you asked!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6DpCCixH28

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I'll watch Nimona eventually (webcomic was good, author later did the She-Ra remake and you could tell there was a lot of Nimona DNA in it, particularly since it was obvious everyone was having more fun writing the villain scenes) but I just keep seeing the art style they went with as everyone making puppy eyes all the time

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
i remember i watched goosebumps and are you afraid of the dark in equal measure but can't remember which was the good one

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Can't speak for everyone else but I was very into Lost for the first few seasons. Part of it was seeing all the personal backstories with their own little mysteries and character arcs and waiting to see how it'd all come together (lol), part of it was just not accepting the possibility that mystery writers can just pull twists and cliffhangers out of their rear end that they have no intention to follow through (or at least not in a way that makes sense). Like, I could understand that writing can just be bad, but a solid first few episodes and good production values can do a good job of making you go "well if they did such a good job on that, surely they wouldn't half rear end the story, the most important part, right? right??"

I ended up skipping a bunch of the middle seasons after the show pulled the "now HERE's a new character that adds an intriguing twist to the m-oh nvm they're dead" trick several times in a row. Ended up watching the final season mostly for the same reason I did with Game of Thrones - sunk cost fallacy

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Even more creeping pasters by Izzzy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeFyL-cfBhU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I don't expect too much from Polygon nowadays but here's a surprisingly thorough view at labor in pro wrestling (via that stupid rear end wrestling sim i want to play)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQgdUD63XIY