Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
In an ongoing effort to find videos that validate all my preconceived notions, I really dig this review of Birds of Prey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WtsemKE8Rw

(lol at the "Idiocracy.... was a documentary!!" thing at the start though). I'll go one step further with it though: coldcrashpictures says that Roman wears a mask just because he can, but I think it speaks more to his desire to appropriate anything he thinks is neat or cool for the shallowest reasons possible. Like how all his goons later on are wearing random tribal masks, too

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Genthil posted:

A few days ago the YouTube algorithm decided to introduce me to Veridis Joe, and so far his stuff seems pretty decent. Here's his latest vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpZ1ZhWHVCw

It's really weird how the people suddenly started picking up the banner for the 2011 ThunderCats remake years later, and only to spite the sillier ThunderCats Roar stuff (which took forever to come out after that announcement trailer wtf??) I was watching the first ThunderCats remake when it was coming out and it was.... alright, I guess? Definitely going for a more serious He-Man remake vibe than, say, the Netflix Voltron show. I wouldn't put it anywhere in the same tier of good production value of Batman: The Animated Series or fun mix of humor and serious action as Teen Titans. Like the Samoflange reference is a great demonstration of how flat and uncertain a lot of the writing felt in that show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF7qesmTFEk

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dawgstar posted:

While I enjoyed it more or less it certainly wasn't to the level of like The Last Airbender that people decided to lionize (ha ha... ha) it as. What's really interesting to me about it is the behind the scenes stuff that was going on at the time, where Cartoon Network didn't like that shows like ThunderCats or the Green Lantern animated series were doing good numbers but in the 'wrong' demographics (anything not like to 8-11 year old boys, more or less). Part of that was that they wanted to sell toys to said demo (and the ThunderCat toys were kinda garbage) but they displayed an extreme unwillingness to try and run with what they had.

Disinterest definitely seems like the biggest hurdle with that remake as far as capitalizing on any popularity it had. There was a solid baseline there but CN was unhappy it didn't perform excellently in the way they wanted and just binned it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Re: The Lilo hate, it was only partially that the two OPs found Lilo to be an obnoxious, unlikable child and hog tied themselves up in loopy justifications for why she should have been more rational and mature. They also digressed into this whole thing about native Hawaiians being racist against white people and somehow thought the movie supported "Kill Haole Day" because they're right-wing racists who support child detention centers. On top of all that, they thought the movie took place in the 1970s despite it obviously being set in then-present day (you can even see Nani bought a New Beetle in the end credits!)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

JordanKai posted:

I might be mixing two things up here, but didn't the person who started that conversation have a tier on their Patreon which allowed the Patron to name any topic and they would start Discourse about it?

If so, I'm going to guess she wasn't talking in good faith. :ghost:

I'm not seeing a patreon for either of them, but I just did a quick backwards search from googling "bad Lilo and Stitch takes" and looked at their twitter/tumblr accounts. If I remember right, the whole thing started with one of them ranting in a twitch stream about Lilo and Stitch and dumping her thoughts on tumblr later, but she's deleted the original posts now so it's hard to tell.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Xiran Jay Zhao posted a follow up video to her live action Disney's Mulan video, this one about the original animated movie.

(The original)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3QKq24e0HM

(The new one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SHC7CnmErM

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Re: that tweet thread-

https://twitter.com/ifeelthewind/status/1318463713469468677

Mmm no I don't agree with this analysis. Tabby reads to me like everything Contra reflexively cringes at but also sees in herself and doesn't quite know how to deal with or express because they're all things she privately doesn't disagree with. I haven't been watching most of her videos for a few months now, but all the prior "characters yell at each other" bits were always pretty transparent reflections on Contra debating to herself about her own sexuality, identity, and politics and not having a satisfying answer to anything because they're all messy and difficult to navigate.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

lunar detritus posted:

lol at trying to read the psyche of a youtuber to excuse her failings.

Those videos are her raw psyche so idk what the gently caress else you're supposed to do with them? And I'm not excusing her failings. I've said plenty of times in this very loving thread that those videos are awkward at best and a dumb idea to share on her main platform when they're moment-by-moment feelings she has over any substance or fact, and are often things she moves away from (like she's already admitted she doesn't agree with whatever point she was attempting in The Aesthetic but that doesn't stop her from leaving it up there.)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Okay but what about the psyche represented by....all the 'cool' non-video essay things she's said about Non-binary people? Those don't factor in at all to your reading of it?

I'm drawing a blank about what she's said specifically and negatively about nonbinary people. She's used a lot of thoughtless and exclusionary language and been terrible about admitting fault there, like last year when said a pronoun circle at an IRL feminist meetup felt performative and done for her sake as the only trans person (a maybe? valid feeling she responded to in the worst way when people pointed out the problematic way she presented it.) And she's been remarkably careless with her platform like the time she gave Buck Angel a line reading in that video without vetting his stances on transmedicalism. I remember her having a lot of defensive rages about people calling her out for both of those, but not specifically saying stuff about nonbinary people or genders. If she's done a reversal and gone hard in on transmedicalism, I haven't noticed. I've been trying to ignore her for the most part, since I don't really trust her to responsibly use the position she's in without occasionally turning her fanbase on vulnerable people in heated moments.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think those videos are more the simple idea of strawman but like more theatrical.

Like Hbomberguy did a similar thing but you weren’t supposed to take it seriously

You mean the bits where Hbomb makes fun RATIONALISTS in fedoras and the horny cartoon furry intellectual? I mean, maybe, but I guess I saw those as more one-note jokes. I don't think he's brought either back as recurring "characters" with complex interpersonal relationships or had face-to-face debates with them as if their perspectives were on a level worth discussing. If Contra is intending these to be caricatures, she's doing a poor job of presenting them that way, but that does lead back into the problems I see with the videos themselves. Those videos she puts out between different personas debating with each other don't really have a clear point, and there's a lot of possible interpretations to pull from them. When Contra's main gimmick is putting out informative video essays on challenging political topics and knocking down lovely right wing talking points or personalities, mixing in "artsy" videos about two personas having undirected arguments with each other look like another political issue and people want to suss out what side she's taking. Except these are things she either seemingly hasn't decided what side to be on yet, or are subject to change as she grows and looks into poo poo more.

e- I realized I didn't comment on the bigger issue of the Tabby persona using (she/them) pronouns though. Even if it is a reflection of any inner conflict Contra has regarding her gender identity, it does look like a tasteless joke in an offhand tweet screenshot and it's not an appropriate way to express that, in my worthless opinion.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 25, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Someone please say something either positive or negative about Zack Snyder or Modern Warfare, I'm begging all you.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jamie Faith posted:

Now who would do something dumb like that? :shepface:

It is my aggressively-held opinion that Captain Price wears a dorky grandpa fisherman hat.

Fil5000 posted:

What if Snyder directed a Call of Duty film

I believe the Book of Revelations warned of that.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think that’s the problem, even if you look at it in the most positive light, it’s still a character that most of the time exists to be owned.

If you want to play to that fine but you aren’t going to convince anyone. No one likes to be strawmanmAned and that’s what this is.

Okay, yeah I do think that's fair. I started watching the Voting video to see the context for her Tabby tweet and the setup of that one in her own words is "a conversation with the communist twitter catgirl who lives in my brain". So even when she acknowledges the points "Tabby" raises, they do still exist for her to ultimately knock down as part of her wider justification for voting a certain way, reducing Tabby's concerns and character to points that must be rebutted.

Jamie Faith posted:

Only 10 pages in the new thread and we're already yelling at each other over Snyder. Terrific! :thumbsup:

I genuinely welcome Snyder arguments over meditating on political nihilism.

[Someone in the back of the audience readies a rock to lob about how "those are the same thing" and I send Goombella out to headbonk them before they can start]

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 25, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

JustaDamnFool posted:

Bucket hats are very ''in'' right now I'll have you know.

Get ready for bead, grandpa, it's past 4 o'clock!

Continuing the discourse about the current American election cycle Some More News has dropped a video on historical and current day racism, the rise of fascism, and the tensions around the election:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKgyOOU8moc

Also as a chaser, Sohla made scary candy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xtuczh5y68

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

lunar detritus posted:

I wish she had made something more interesting with the cilantro instead of simply gluing it to a kit kat.

Yeah true, and I am a bit disappointed that she tempered dark chocolate to coat over the milk chocolates, but her mastery of caramel is impressive at least.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, "The Snyder Cut", it turns out, was a myth and a marketing ploy. What the people who were clamoring for it are getting is going to be "The Snyder Version". And it is still going to be an absolute disaster because its baseline factor is one Zachary Snyder.

I think you're shooting a bit high there. It'll be what his fans want, and everyone else will be somewhere in the range of moderately entertained to annoyed like with his other DC movies.

josh04 posted:

From what I wrote:

quote:

And so the Snyder Cut itself, and all of its fans, must be replaced by a series of simulacra. The original cut cannot have existed: instead of the simple fact of a box of film reels, there is the image of Snyder himself performing a catalysing deception, stringing fans along on a hopeless crusade that will never see success. In place of a film director happy to be allowed to finish a project, there must be a scam artist, ill intent behind his every motive. Will he trick the fans, lying about reshoots that will never take place? Will he trick the film studio into spending money on a doomed project? Or is he producing malevolent propaganda for his Ayn Rand views by hiding it in mass media? Take your pick.

Who exactly is saying this? I've seen people say it's a cynical ploy from the studio or that Zack Snyder might be politically sus, but not that this is some bizarre long con on his part.

Wasn't the whole point of the Snyder Cut discourse in line with like the "true ending" to MGSV theory or secret extra Sherlock episode: that there was either an extant mostly-finished movie sitting somewhere that would be substantially more satisfying than Whedon picking over Snyder's scraps? And evidently there's not if Snyder was approved to reshoot and get finished effects to make a 7 hour double movie?

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 26, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

josh04 posted:

To answer your first point, the idea that there's a long con going on is implicit in the next thing you say - if there 'never was' a Snyder cut then the implication is that the whole thing is a scam. But there's no conflict between saying "I want to release a mostly-finished rough cut of this movie that I never finished" and then saying "I've been given a boatload of money to turn it into a miniseries" and that's evident in how, by and large, Snyder fans are still excited about the release of the Snyder cut while this fixation on "is this what was promised?" is the pursuit of people who actively aren't interested in seeing the film release.

That was always part of it though? Of course there was always some work print of what Snyder wanted before Whedon was pulled in. They had some test screenings for executives that were reported on and images of the film canisters with 3.5 hours of footage presumably in them. There also wasn't a Snyder Cut in the way we've been traditionally marketed "Director's Cuts" where you're delivered a re-edited version of the movie with complete effects and presumably all the finished shots and edits the director wanted, or at least what was available based on the filmed footage they had.

So who exactly was saying that people asking for a release of the work print were being scammed? Or who's saying any of this:

quote:

Will he trick the fans, lying about reshoots that will never take place? Will he trick the film studio into spending money on a doomed project? Or is he producing malevolent propaganda for his Ayn Rand views by hiding it in mass media?

And why exactly are they doing that?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

josh04 posted:

But again, this is a weird technicality that doesn't matter to people who want the Snyder cut - there was no rift within the 'movement' upon finding out that Snyder was getting to do reshoots or w/e. The people who care about this distinction, such as Dan Olson who made a whole video about it, are people who are not interested in the film being released.

He says right in that Snyder cut video that he would be really interested in seeing the Snyder Cut, especially if it was only a work print.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pGlYF3xLrM&t=777s

He point was that for reasons of ego and finance, a full finished movie release seemed impractical. Apparently that issue was solved with all the turnover and restructuring from the AT&T takeover so yeah, plot twist, time makes fools of us all. It doesn't sound like he'd find it to be a "good" movie, but it's not like any of us live or die on some bearded, bell-wearing, bear bait Canadian's disapproval.

I never asserted there was a rift in the movement or whatever this is. It sounds like there were some people who thought there was a mostly complete movie ready to mass-burn to DVDs, some people who thought Snyder should be allowed to come back and "finish" his movie, and some people who would've been pleased with whatever rough state his prints were in. The bigger point here is the unifying conviction it would be a superior movie to what we got, but was suppressed or undermined for X/Y/Z reasons before. And like yeah, I'm sure a lot of people will be pleased with whatever comes out, but the anti-hype I'm seeing is all in the vein of "Oh god how can this work without it collapsing in on itself" every time another new character is confirmed to be added to the reshoots or whatever. It's not some simmering outrage that a corporation is feeding fans what it wants, or that his is the sign of some great moral defeat letting Snyder direct something again.

josh04 posted:

I don't think you need me to turn up people suggesting that Snyder's film are trojan horses for Randianism, the idea Snyder has in some way pulled the wool over WB's eyes is implicit in all the monocle-dropping social media posts about the size of the reshoot budget, and the idea that the reshoots were a fantasy that the fans were being led along with was floated around the time Snyder was giving out reshoot slates as competition prizes - I don't have a citation for that one.

This slate? https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2491127/zack-snyder-justice-league-fan-contest-just-revealed-an-epic-prize That would've been around the time he was in private talks about coming back but before the official announcement in May 2020, right? I'm not really surprised at people dismissing the promises on the slate as implausible when even up to mid 2019 Warner Bros execs and Snyder both seemed to think a full release of his filmed footage was unlikely. In that context, stringing along fan's hopes like that may have been iffy, but it obviously he knew some stuff back then that nobody else did.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jamie Faith posted:

Seriously tho, this thread really does need an IK imo.

It really doesn't. Two pages of people discussing Zack Snyder barely blips on the radar. Your Modern Warfare discussion was substantially worse than any Snyder debate I saw in the past year or whatever I've been reading these threads.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jamie Faith posted:

It's not just this derail by itself. It's the fact that we keep having this derail. The exact same convo. Over and over and over again. With everyone repeating the same talking points we've heard already. At least with CoD, I learned my lesson and never brought it up again.

I'm not keeping careful tabs on the twists and turns of every Snyder Discourse in these threads, but the last one I remember was centered more around Maggie Mae Fish's videos, and specifically on her analysis of his interpretations on Dawn of the Dead and Superman. This one has been about the Snyder Cut. I guess there's a running vein that the Snyder fans here feel unfairly maligned or that Snyder's being incorrectly read as a crypto-fascist, but I don't know the only time I've seen any of them flip out here is when someone goes in aggro first. I'm sure it was much worse before BravestOfTheLamps was permabanned from SA, but all the derails I've seen here have just been goofy-dumb rather than painful to read.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Wasn't that the subtitle for the Breadtube thread right before that was killed?

.... man you know you think this was dire but at least an iteration of this thread has never been bumped off after genocide denial discourse started.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Junpei Hyde posted:

im sorry what

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3882331&pagenumber=155#post499264467

Jamie Faith posted:

Wah...what? :stare: Which genocide and who was denying it?

The Uyghur genocide by the Chinese government :can:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

RareAcumen posted:

Hey, speaking of that, what do you think is going to be the next Disney movie to be remade in live action and less than the animated version and do the princess/female lead dirty next?

Is it possible to do a worse job of it than Mulan and Aladdin? How could this be achieved?

Like Doctor Spaceman said, The Little Mermaid is on their slate, still, and a live action Lilo and Stitch is filming right now. Then I think all that's left are the C-tier Disney Renaissance things like Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, and Tarzan, or the post-renaissance stuff like Moana and Frozen. Maybe The Black Cauldron, but a lot of people would be surprised that's even a live action remake.

Terrible Opinions posted:

I believe Disney is able and willing to do Pocahantas but worse in live action.

IIRC the Algonquin attitude when people ask about Pocahontas being re-adapted into stuff is something like "please... lease us alone, we're so tired..." Which wouldn't be great for Disney's optics when Moana's right over there with pretty close to the same plot and better public perception.

josh04 posted:

I would say I've definitely seen a fair amount of the latter, and that's in part my motivation for writing about it - people are perfectly entitled to the former viewpoint, obviously. Just for example, Kay and Skittles (who I generally appreciate) is of the position that being against the Snyder cut is a moral issue to do with big media being able to recut a film to different political sensibilities. And I think if you take the arguments made by Maggie Mae Fish in her videos seriously, then opposing Zack Snyder being able to make more films is a properly moral demand because her case is that those films are promoting violence against minorities. Check out the comment thread under her last video where people are speculating about what sort of bigoted portrayal of their death Snyder would direct. If this were my position then yeah, I'd be very serious about stopping the man making more films.

I have no idea who KayandSkittles is but their point looks to be that corporations were capitalizing on dissatisfaction to create an artificially-enhanced need for "The Snyder Cut" and what it means as far as redoing widely-perceived blockbuster bombs in the future. Maggie Mae Fish's video on deaths in Snyder films is about how they tend towards being used grim utilitarian commentary and how that feeds into the wider tonal perceptions about the future of humanity and human nature. She also says it's fine and there's plenty of things to find appealing in the films, even if she isn't personally a fan of his recurring motifs.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

HopperUK posted:

Moana's plot is extremely different to Pocahontas's plot. Like, extremely different.

I'm just referencing Lindsay Ellis' video on Pocahontas here

https://youtu.be/2ARX0-AylFI

I do think Moana has a lot of distinct featured to it that make it work better than Pocahontas though, like just adding a clear dangerous force and having a journey/road trip plot makes it way more engaging.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Pocahontas is the stupidest answer I could think of, and honestly the one most liable to cause real harm. And given the events of the past decade I'm going to bet on the stupidest option being what will happen.

Ah yeah, see I'd think Hunchback would be the worst likely possibility, if only because Disney is going to either have people tossing around a real racial slur constantly again or have to awkwardly write around it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kuroyama posted:

I thought that there were plans for an adaptation of The Chronicles of Pyrdain in place already, or did Disney scrap those when GoT had its wet fart of a finale last year?

It's one of those things that's still rumored to be on the "maybe" pile, but it's also in an unusual place because if you went up to a normal person and announced to them that Disney was doing "A remake of The Black Cauldron movie" they'd have a hard time believing there was an "original" one to remake.

DC Murderverse posted:

I am ready to firebomb Walt Disney Studios if they gently caress up that Lilo and Stitch movie. I feel like there's no way for it to be good.

Disney managed to drag down The Lady and the Tramp with pointless "modernizing", adding in some deeper message about the importance of adopting shelter pets, and that disquieting hyper-realistic animal CGI when all they had to do was remove the racist cats. I can't wait to see what they find to meddle with in Lilo and Stitch.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Casey Finnigan posted:

drat I am into men but I've never been invited to brunch in my life. do I gotta suck a certain number of dicks before I can attend?

The key to brunch is understanding you are in control of it and can initiate the brunch at any time.

Andrast posted:

lmao at Raenir Salazar defending bob in the replies of those tweets

He was in Mary Cagle's twitter replies arguing with her about RWBY back when Hbomb's video on it dropped, too. I guess he realized that's his natural environment.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Making Mickey Mouse pancakes but it's actually a dick and balls

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr E posted:

While it's not quite to the level of effort as the MGSV LP, I recommend checking out supergreatfriend if you haven't, his LPs are almost always very enjoyable and complete and he's done some LPs of games that really don't get any love otherwise.

SGF's Deadly Premonition LP is the perfect way to watch that game.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Since cooking videos came up again, The Victorian Way cooking videos are pretty cool, both as cooking demonstrations and educational bits because the host, Mrs. Crocombe, is a historical reenactor playing the character of a real cook who worked at the historical manor the show is filmed in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7uciURYjvI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzhQO46suYw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms-LB_I4MW8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5F2eTUaTa8

And like any good anime they also sometimes have episodes spotlighting side characters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV7hop4m0YQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssAoqhrVT28

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
One of the Cinemassacre guys really likes Gengars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsExkXeu_qA

Understandable, as it is easily in the top percentage of pokemons

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
How would a tube of bread even work? Preposterous.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Max Wilco posted:

Well if and when violent revolution gets underway, you're more than welcome to shove a pistol against my head and paint the walls in grey matter. No one would blame you, and at this point, I really don't give a poo poo, and you'd be doing me a favor.

Go offline, speak to a therapist if you can, block twitter and see if you can find some greasemonkey script or something that stops tweets from auto-displaying on SA to reduce your impulse to read them then, because this brain-sick self-flagellation about how you'll readily die for a revolution is the most unhelpful thing in the world. Like no loving poo poo you'll die, like most of us in this thread would since we're all nonathletic nerds and realistically anything close to a violent revolution would lead to the military and police rolling in to mow everyone down.

McCloud posted:

lmao no it isn't. His feed is still pretty lefty, he's just being extra polite about it

Dans take was extraordinarily stupid though.

Realistically, I get being annoyed by anyone hyping themselves up by fantasizing about a revolution because, yeah, if a really large uprising did happen then there's going to be a lot of deaths, and the people dying are going to be the ones most hurt by our oppressive society as it is. Like what you see in the police crackdowns on protests but on a larger, even more violent scale. But that tweet is garbage and only looks like he's tut-tutting people for daring to want to strike back against their oppressors, no matter what he was intending.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

McCloud posted:

Internet is full of hyperbole, and I think taking people seriously when they say they want to murder the rich and string them up by their entrails is silly ,since I don't think most folks actually want that, they just want the rich to pay their drat taxes and get punished when they break the law, and not get murdered by the police for being black. But it also seems like an inescapable fact that the only way to enact large change seems to be mass riots and burning cities to the ground, because that seems to be the only thing politicians respond to these days, aside from money, so of course folks will be fantasizing about it :shrug:

Property destruction and rioting against the lovely system are fine and valid forms of protest in my book. I wouldn't say they're necessarily part of "a revolution" on their own, but it's a tricky term that can mean a lot of different things. Those kinds of protests leading to change is a revolutionary act, but you also get people who are expecting full overthrow of the current order on some level, from kicking out the cops and setting up small autonomous zones to amassing a full army and starting a civil war against the government. I don't know how easy it'd be to have more than regional success there, at least without a generation or more of fighting and an incalculable loss of life, but I'm also a dweeb on the internet so what do I know? If some big uprising happens, it will be welcome and deserved, but it will be a messy affair, too.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 2, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, the biggest issue people seem to have is the idea that merely the act of 'yearning' in any form is the sin. Like, am I Part of the Problem because I think it'd be genuinely funny and probably a good way to make a lot of the suburban nazis back off if someone [redacted] some proud boy bus before they could get out and try to murder people themselves? Like, it's the mere act of thinking 'it'd own if for once in these miserable people's lives they felt half the mortal fear for their lives and safety most any given random minority does around them' is exactly the same morally as Chadsworth Gunterson taking dad's gun out to go 'hunt antifa' or whatever?

It's the kind of take you can only have if you've never looked at someone and thought 'are they gonna try to attack me or are they just gonna call me (insert slur here) if they want to get rowdy' and having a bunch of other white media people all "YEP FINALLY SOMEONE SAID IT" just made it more funny.

Well, that's pulling the scope away from the overly-broad and nonspecific "yearning for a violent revolution" to "yearning for someone to attack a bus full of neo-nazis." Which is both a narrower and clearer objective there, and sounds like a separate conversation to have. Like yeah, you'll get some people who gasp at the audacity of left-wing violence in either case, but debating on the ethics of morning for a bus full of human sludge has way clearer "sides" to it (and lol gently caress them.)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

sexpig by night posted:

I mean to be honest I was using the more extreme version of 'revolution' where it's literal 'partisan forces clashing in the street' and not the more usual 'occupation of state institutions or whatever, with the willingness to do so armed and ready to fight back against agents of the state who attempt to do them harm' that would be 'violent revolution', if Dan's cool with airholeing a neo-nazi bus but thinks Bundy Ranch: But Leftist would be a bridge too far to even dream of that's a way wilder stance.

I have no idea what Dan's stance is, honestly, since I don't know the guy and that tweet is a weak fart in the wind as far as making any clear political declaration goes. It's on Twitter though so people are going to naturally read it in the most extreme ways possible.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It's honestly kind of impressive. Like a mirror universe GetFiscal. Pointless, able to be read multiple ways because it's so weak, pisses literally everyone off and didn't need to be made at all. Kind of beautiful.

I'd joke that it was a deliberate ploy to make Twitter as unpleasant as possible to look at so you'd have no reason to try while healing from a nasty wrist injury, but at that point you might as well humorously tie yourself to your bed with your phone just out of reach and have more fun with it.

Kim Justice posted:

As frustrating and blinkered as comments like Dan's are I feel awful for causing this derail. Sorry folks.

Eh I couldn't tell if you were even talking about the tweet or a million other things people hold loosely-connected friend groups responsible for online. The thread didn't start frothing until someone else dumped the tweet here.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Every time I turn on the news I end up screaming "WAARRG!" and firing off improvised rockets so this is highly relatable to me. Upvoted.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
In a just world, we'd all have time-traveling girlfriends dedicated to saving us

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
If you're looking for some long-ish videos and are a tremendous nerd who replaces video games with a personalty, like myself, you might find AesirAesthetics' analyses of the King's Field games super interesting:

King's Field 1 (the real 1):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruD8YUQI6Bw

King's Field 2 (King's Field 1, internationally):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiDLxRMi-VY

King's Field 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u2h4LSRiz4

King's Field 4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQS0JtOtkS0

He'll also be doing Shadow Tower in a few months to cap out the pre-Demon's Souls spiritual successors. They're all fascinating deep dives into a lot of the same themes and design choices that have cropped up in all the modern From Soft games from DeS through Sekiro.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Shut the gently caress up about the US presidential election in this stupid youtube video thread, jesus christ, there's a whole internet you can go to if you want to melt your brain with that poo poo.

Garrand posted:

Patrick (H) Willems talks about Austin Powers and our current nostalgia based film industry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5ebOZ-aBX4

Namaste

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Not really.

I hope I'm not spoiling your parade.

Nobody here is saying "Thank God they elected that rapist I love, now I can go brunch in peace" so can you please go praxis at bots on twitter or something else useful now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

StealthArcher posted:

Considering no one here said that you sure seem terse about it.

What exactly are you trying to prove here?

Clip-On Fedora posted:

You are correct. No one said those exact words.

But sure, I seem to be upsetting you and Alaois for some reason, so I will take a break from posting if I am bothering you.

I don't know what war you think you need to fight in this thread designed from top to bottom to be about talking about people talking about things in youtube of all places but it's certainly not a useful or productive one for any political cause.