Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

I lost it when I realized who Jenny was dressed as.

Who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Seeing what youtube is like without an ad blocker makes me wonder how the site is popular at all. poo poo sucks man.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Nuebot posted:

40k in its various flavours always had a problem with this too. The lore, and books, were full of cool mutants, demons, and weird monster men and you're like "Wow cool I can't wait to be a psyker!" and then three sessions in you kill your whole team by accident and the DM's just like "Yeah I guess you're a crazy monster now, everyone gets to roll up new sheets."

You also killed everyone while trying to make someone drop their gun, too. It's not like you were doing anything cool.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Nerd Crew was the worst imo; but yeah Re:view and BOTW are the ones I watch

I adored Nerd Crew, the intro alone was amazing. I think the thing it made fun of is dead now, so it doesn't have punch anymore, but the corporate backed official hype podcasts that showed their loyalty to the products they were shilling through ostentatious displays of merchandise were all over the place when everything was a cinematic universe and big movies based on comic books were hitting every other month. The like hundreds of services that all advertised on podcast that they'd just send you a box of poo poo that no one wanted, whole panels of grown people somehow getting excited about logos and obsessing over trailer frames, the shameless promotion and clout chasing... it was a whole industry. It was not Very Cool.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Jamie Faith posted:

If you've ever wanted to watch an hour long video on the infamous "Oppa homeless style" fake tumblr story, Sarah Z has you covered lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiU7aGZ-o68&t=367s

I actually think this is a really great video for this forum, which is one of the few places that laughs at strange internet poo poo without falling into reactionary propaganda.

I have always had in my head the idea that a lot of the reason that the internet skeptic movement fell for all this poo poo so easily was because it sprung up fighting the American evangelical fundimentalist Christian movement, which is as stupid of a movement that could exist. Young earth creationists and biblical literalists don't require much other than a smug raised eyebrow and a dismissive snort, because holy poo poo the earth is not 6000 years old and the bible contradicts itself in the first two chapters. There's intelligent Christianity and theologians who really care and think about their faith and use it to challenge themselves, and literally thousands of years of scholarship around the bible, but the evangelical movement doesn't give a single poo poo about any of that and is clearly just using their faith as a justification for their bigotry and psychoses.

The SJW that the internet skeptic community imagined is basically the same as the televangelist; idiotic, simple minded, and using their movement as a justification for their hatreds. But unlike the televangelist, those people don't really exist, especially in positions of power. Being smugly and reactionarily dismissive of social justice concepts because you don't actually think about them tracks with forming your identity around the idea that people who don't think like you can just be dismissed because they're actually loving stupid, which is what the internet athiest/skeptic movement started out dealing with. Tunderf00t didn't make a series called "engaging with and debunking creationist ideas," he made "Why people make fun of creationists" and when you've trained yourself on that you're just not gonna think too hard about people who disagree with you.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

That article breaking down the failed development was wild for how often there was some element of "Well, we realized that there basically wasn't a game. So we stopped doing anything productive so that we could mock up a somewhat convincing fake demo to keep the suits off our backs for another few months while we tried to figure out the game."

The post mortems on Andromeda and Anthem were fuckin' wild. They wanted to make a procedurally generated exploration game and ended up with Andromeda and wanted to make a co-op mission based space survival game and ended up with Anthem.

Like the core concept of Anthem makes no god drat sense if you think about it, the outside world isn't hostile it's lush and verdant and you can loving FARM THE LAND. Having it take place on what amounted to a sun-scorched asteroid with gravitational anomalies makes the whole "we pilot these things to go outside the walls" actually work.

I was left sad after both of those. I wanted to see Andromeda the exploration game and Anthem the survival game. If only there was a shred of managerial competence there.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I can’t believe these erotic cartoons may control the fate of the middle east.

These men are pawns!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

I'm glad the rats guy isn't an rear end in a top hat.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Bakeneko posted:

Swell Entertainment: There’s a cult on tiktok

Based on the title I assumed she was just going to be talking about a cultlike group organizing themselves over Tiktok, but no; it’s about an actual, real-world cult that just happens to post stuff on there.

The second I heard the word “commune” I knew there was gonna be some creepy poo poo involved but I was not prepared for the cat-killing. These people seem like they’re about an inch away from building a wicker man, although with them also being covid-deniers they might not even have to go to that trouble to kill their visitors.

lol D&D poster Uglycat has been in and out of this place for years, he's currently complaining that the people have all lost their mind because of Q

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m positive that within the next five years we’ll find out that twitter is as bad for you as smoking or having a gun in the house.

The past 5 years has me sure that some day we're gonna look at social media use like how everyone smoked. Too many people have lost their god drat mind interacting with it for me to think otherwise.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

The world would be so much better off if most large countries outlawed bitcoin and imprisoned anyone mining it.

Bitcoin is used mostly for drug trafficking and money laundering. It's great for crime and not much else.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Polka is praxis

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I don't think I've ever heard anything as european as that song.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

True but it wasn’t just the moral right back then, you had tipper gore and Lieberman and Clinton holding hands with them too.

The entire thing about the modern conservative movement is that they just don't have control over society anymore and that angers them deeply. They lack the social power to enforce their cultural norms, so their political aim is to use the disproportionate amount of political power they have due to systemic advantages to try and enforce it. It's why the animating battles are things like Disneyland changing rides or Dr. Seuss' estate no longer publishing books: their entire cause is leveraging their influence over the state to make up the ground they've lost in society.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Harrow posted:

The thing that I feel like is really undersold by people talking about Disco Elysium is how emotional and personal it is. Yeah, it's funny and has a great sense of humor all around. It has biting political commentary. But it's also a deeply personal story about a broken man with some really cathartic moments. That last part, I think, gets lost in a lot of the "look at this weird/goofy/political joke!" screen shots that I saw before I played it, so I was pleasantly surprised at just how grounded and real it felt on a character level.

It's so good, is what I'm saying.

The end has a bit of writing that is, as far as I'm concerned, genuinely magnificent, turning something that's maybe the most base level disgusting into something beautiful. It really, totally, made me think differently about bugs.

I think people share the jokes and the politics because the emotional moments are so real and require so much context people just don't want to spoil them. It's the only game I've played that explored and discussed how loving scary it can be to dial a number, how painful and all-encompassing linked images can be, how utterly broken mundane things can make you, how much it can hurt to remember but how free it can make you to be able to finally put it in context. It lets characters be wonderfully multifaceted and deep the way people are multifaceted and deep. They don't have dramatic, tragic backstories, but they have struggles and ideas and failures that haunt them and they feel like people. The ones that don't are that way for a very specific purpose.

There's also a real deep mysticism and sci-fi part of it that doesn't get as explored as I'd like, but gets explored exactly as much as the character should explore it.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I thought we were all just politely not talking about the vtubers everyone's getting sucked into

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

As he explains in the video, half of all anime tv shows that have ever been produced have come out since 2010. the scaling up of anime series in the last decade has been exponential, Kadokawa has recently said they're going to be producing 40 anime series per year, which is more than an entire season used to be, and that's a single company's output.

Anime is out of control.

Aren't a bunch of shows 5 or 15 minute episodes? Back when I was watching stuff I felt annoyed when manga adaptation that I was excited for ending up having a 5 minute runtime which made it impossible for any part of it to take its time.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

lobster22221 posted:

I know nothing of him outside this video, what did I miss?

Sexual harassment. Some of the most amazing series were ruined for me because of this. Car Boys was a masterpiece.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Some people just don't like having things in tabletop that they could imagine on their hotbars in an MMO.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

watho posted:

lily orchard’s video on it is genuinely insane and should not be taken seriously in any way

5 MILLION VIEWS? The internet is driving us all insane.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The fight around drag queen story hour has been strange to me forever because I always thought drag was supposed to be a fun, campy thing rather than a sex thing. Sure, some people get off on it and the idea of it, but some people get off to sweaters, so I didn't really consider that. Drag shows are usually presented as just a good time rather than a time where people get all hot, especially because much of drag is over the top.

But the reaction to it is like if it was "watch men masturbate hour" and it's so weird. I never got the idea that it was a kink, but rather just a fun way to play with gender norms.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I like them. Hbomb wants to make 2 hour videos about why Sherlock sucks or New Vegas is great. Instead he's become an influential voice on the left about right wing bullshit, and he brings to it a levity that's important to keep around lest you get super sad.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

The ones with all that greenery on them are probably agony thanks to mosquitos too, there was another chinese building project that tried to do that sort of thing, a ton of greenery and junk on the apartments and like with this, people initially like wow so pretty, then a ton of people got the hell out of there once it became insect hell. And like with the recurring problem of chinese concrete projects, bridges especially it keeps seeming like, you couldn't make me stay in that thing.

"Wow it's beautiful, wait what's the buzzing"

"This beautiful 'vertical forest' housing project in China went horribly wrong as residents had to abandon their apartments after the buildings were overrun by plants and mosquitoes. The remaining eight towers of 30 floors each have been overrun by their own plants causing the mosquito invasion."

It turns out those "wow, the future" type ideas weren't done for a reason, and that reason wasn't always that racists in rural areas didn't like it. Sometimes it was just a bad idea!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Like I don't like using the term cancel culture cause it's pretty nonsense but it does sometimes seem like there are people just salivating at the thought of like a video coming out of Griffin saying the N word or something so the McElroys can finally be put down for good.

This is what the term was coined to define: people going out of their way to look for reasons to hate someone and relishing when they do.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
oh right! This forum HAD a term for "cancel culture," helldumping, where people drag up poo poo and post it all over the place.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

stillvisions posted:

Sarah Z is good, but she hasn't quite gotten to the Jenny Nicholson knack of talking about something I had no idea even existing for 90+ minutes and I'll listen to every minute of it. I think it's a tone thing - JN is very good at conveying that "holy poo poo I'm telling this to you because I can't believe it myself" amazement. Different levels of depth, slightly different audience I guess.

I agree, I found myself actually getting annoyed with the supernatural one and turning it off because I didn't care and rather than a "can you fuckin' believe this dumb bullshit" tone it had one that made me feel like what was being discussed actually mattered. Deep dives into dumb bullshit requires a guide who's able to share the audience's bewilderment in order to get and keep them, which I imagine is the aim of these videos. People who know all this poo poo don't need a video to explain it to them. Super Eyepatch Wolf's Undertale video is an example I still think about, because what he uncovered was a truly massive world where millions of kids were making, watching, and reading things at a shocking scale. Like 20 million views on a rough animation of the Sans fight scale. But if you don't know it exists, it's an insane revelation that he was just as blown away by as I was, even if statistically it's more likely that someone who clicked on a video about Undertale fans knew all about those things. Jenny explaining an idiotic show for hours or covering the nearly 20 Land Before Time sequels have the same feeling of "no, listen, you're not gonna believe this poo poo" that makes me interested to see it through rather than actually caring about how the fandom never liked any female love interests introduced for characters they had convinced themselves were gay.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 2, 2021

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

No you see ASMR videos are weird and creepy mouthsounds for perverts probably but Mukbangs are wholesome and not gross at all.

You know what I like?

The sound of other people eating. Right in my ears. Just right there. I love hearing other people eat things like squid, that squishy wet sound of chewing. I love it. It's the absolute best thing in the world.

I'm a super normal dude, what? EVERYBODY LIKES THIS

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Holy loving poo poo, that last video is some incel copaganda that doesn't even bother to paint over the racism.

Yeah I thought they were being kinda uncharacteristically lefty by talking about how the cop was a hero for shooting black people, but no. That's what the movie showed.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

JordanKai posted:

The minutiae of the list is what makes it so obvious that Scott Cawthon holds some really awful beliefs and is willing to support them financially. Trump, McConnell, Nunes, Tuberville, Cornyn, McCarthy... these are some of the worst, most hateful people in federal politics. You don't get a list this bad by accident.

Oh wow. Nunes? Why donate to him?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

the lgbt fnaf community

you have no idea how many gay teens are crazy about those animatronics

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I had the Fred thing on in the background while I looked for bacteria in Elite, so I listened to the whole thing. I'd say the worst part was when he talked about the TV show. Maybe because he was the only person who watched it or because he had heard it was terrible but didn't find it any worse than other kids show, he felt he needed to literally spend like 10 minutes each to explain what happened in every single episode. I think there was sort of a point before this, exploring how Fred started off as an dark comedy about a 6 year old in a world that hates him, specifically, but slowly just sort of morphed into an odd kids show. But yo there was no reason at all to spend like over an hour explaining the plots of every single episode of a poorly received and remembered sitcom on Nickelodeon. I kept like... waiting for there to be a reason for him to go through every episode one by one, to signal an interesting turn or something. But no. The tone and content remained the same throughout, even if some characters disappeared because they were doing other things. The editing to splice in clips and video should've been editing to just take that poo poo out.

I actually sort of understood why Fred was popular for the first time in my life when the actual content of the channel was explained, and understood why it didn't just repel everyone as it became more mainstream by realizing it's just one of those teenage sitcoms with the voice of one character sped up. It was also funny how once Nick got their hands on it they tried very hard to give Fred a case of the Not Gays, probably because the show was popular with girls. It's also pretty remarkable that a 13 year old making jokes about a 6 year old being raised in an abusive household by making his voice sound like a Halo grunt became one of the first big crossover hits, although I think the guys who made Perfecto and The Bu defining about a decade and a half of mainstream comedy is far more interesting.

So yeah you could cut like half of that video out and it'd still be an exhaustive look at Fred.

v - Seeing that the Clown Girl did an exhaustive video on Warrior Cats when I thought that was just a really funny yahoo answers question that MBMBAM found once was what made me realize I was old.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 15, 2021

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

SteelMentor posted:

Not gonna lie I still love the Pacman retsuprae where the LPer not just sucks at a mediocre platformer, but then takes a phonecall mid-recording and leaves the entire thing in.

The guy playing a Sonic romhack as his computer melts is still one of the funniest things I've seen online

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is cool and good and I feel lovely for being a dumbass teenager who perpetuated the bullshit in the 2010s.

Everyone did. Don't feel bad if you thought the same dumb stuff that everyone else did back then.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The world isn't made up of weird people on twitter

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
An important thing to realize is that calling them "zoomers" just hides the fact that they're basically kids. Kids really into "cheap jump scares: the game." Having the sort of political sophistication to understand that someone maxing donations to several candidates isn't normal, let alone looking at who he maxed, knowing what they did, and realizing what that means isn't second nature to most people, let alone, you know, kids.

Seeing young superfans of something not abandon the creator because he donated to lovely political candidates just isn't something that should make you decry the state of the world. It's honestly kind of amazing to me that this being revealed did anything at all.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Endorph posted:

i mean, it didnt actually do anything. a handful of people got mad, people closed ranks, and then he of his own volition decided to gently caress off because even the mildlest criticism had him ranting about his life being destroyed. he didnt lose anything, nothing got taken away from him.

That's what I mean, why did he even bother to leave?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Ah yes, Star Wars: the transgressive work about slavery and bigotry

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

Says a lot she's going to the TERFs.

... what

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Jesus christ people, a BBC podcast that's literally about what it's like being super online is not "international news" like the reports you see about the political situation in Hong Kong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

cum posted:

I beg your pardon?